Rafa – Jamaal Told To Push Players In Training – But Bust-Up Was Surprise

Rafa Benitez has finished his press conference this afternoon for the game at Southampton on Sunday, and he has talked about the altercation between captain Jamaal Lascelles and Mo Diame in training.

It turns out that Rafa has asked Jamaal to make sure everybody is pushing themselves in training and we suppose he thought Mo wasn’t and kept telling him to push harder.

Mo reacted after a while, and poor old Jonjo Shelvey was the peacemaker but managed to come out of it all with a broken finger.

Rafa Benitez – talks about Lascelles Diame altercation

This is what Rafa said about the altercation, and he said he’s seen a lot worse than what happened between Jamaal and Mo:

“It was a surprise. There was a fight. Jonjo was in the middle and he was making the peace.”

“I have told Jamaal to keep pushing the players. Mo normally trains really well. It was all normal’.”

“I’ve seen worse than that. It’s a normal thing. That sometimes happens.”

“They have been training and have been in the same team in some exercises.”

Rafa has said one of the punishments for Mo and Jamaal is to pay for dinner on the next night out for the team.

We expect Shelvey to get the most expensive meal on the menu.

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare At Southampton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM

The sooner Diame is gone the better. I was one of those that didn’t want him in the first place. Cleary the club is going to have to take a financial hit on Diame. Nobody else is going to pay him parity to what he gets at Newcastle. Maybe (hopefuly) some gullible Chinese club will pick him up under some illusion about his stardom, having played at PL level.

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:22 PM

I wonder what would have transpired if Colocinni had been told to push the players in training. Diame would have received a pat on the back for mooching about, most likely.

• Ron Knee

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Kraft durch Freude.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Ancient…I wonder if it was easier for us to offload under performing players before, when the management was suspect. Can’t see too many clubs looking at our players and going “It’s the management / coaching that is holding that player back, let’s take a punt”. I doubt anyone thinks that with Rafa at the helm.

As for “Captain Colo” he’d probably injure himself with the idea of pushing anything.

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Ibiza, true enough. With a manager like Benitez having tried with Diame, and a lack of strong competition, Diame will be a hard sell.

The only selling point I suppose, would be stating that we used Diame mostly in the number 10 role, so he still has some promise to play in CM. Still, I cannot envision anything but some form of financial loss on the guy.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Ancient…I couldn’t remember how much we paid for him. Just doing a little search, it seems his release clause was something like ÂŁ4.5m, so the hit on transfer wont be too shabby, I guess it’ll be more wages that have been wasted, but considering when and why he arrived, it wasn’t a disaster and I can see the sense in at the time.

I’d be a terrible owner, I’d just want to pay up their contracts and move on. Probably have computer games to blame for that.