Mikel Merino Talks Positively About His Unsuccessful Time At Borussia Dortmund

Mikel Merino is looked on as a potential future star at Newcastle, and he is already loved by the fans as Rafa pointed out in his press conference yesterday.

Mikel is an impressive young man who knows exactly what he wants to do in football and that’s to go to the very top.

Rafa yesterday said he thinks Mikel has the ability and drive to become a full Spanish International in the future.

At Dortmund, the manager there – Thomas Tuchel – didn’t seem to rate the youngster and he played only five first-team games for the top German club, and it was frustrating for him.

Mikel has already played more than that at Newcastle, and yesterday he made his move to Newcastle permanent when he signed a new five-year deal.

Mikel Merino at his press conference yesterday

Mikel gave a press conference yesterday, and he showed he is an ambitious, polite and upbeat lad who seems to love it already at Newcastle.

Mikel wants to learn from his one-year experience at Dortmund, and he had this to say about that yesterday:

“It depends on the confidence you have, and the confidence people have in you. It also depends on you and your capabilities.”

“If they think you are not good enough, then you won’t play. In Dortmund, I did not have the confidence of the coach.”

“Here, I think they all trust me and my abilities. That is the main reason things are different, because I am not a different player.”

“I am the same player as I was last year. The only difference now is that I am playing regularly, and I am doing it my way.”

“I still look back on my time there with good memories, always.”

“During the year, there were both good memories and bad ones, but it is always good to learn.”

“I look back on the last year and think I took a lot out of it.”

“It is always a good process to go through, and it helped me become the person and the player that I am today, and I am pleased to have lived that year.”

“It is hard when you are not playing and don’t have the confidence of those around you.

“It’s hard because you think you deserve it, and that you could improve the team and do good things.”

“But it feels like you are the only person who thinks that way, so you have to have a strong mentality and keep training and working.”

“Sometimes you are feeling bad, and you have to be around people you love and who love you, and can help you to go forward.”

“In Dortmund, I could walk down the street and no one would recognise me.”

“That is normal because when you are not playing, people do not know who you are, especially at a club like Dortmund where they have huge players with huge names that are known all around the world.”

“I am not saying that everybody has to know me, but here it feels very different and very good.

“Especially when a supporter comes up to you and says, ‘Ooh, you are a good player, nice to meet you’.”

“That makes you feel good.”

“For me, it is great that some supporters think that way! (I may be sold to Barcelona in future).”

“But I think I have to stay calm and just look to the next match.”

“I am going to be here for a long time, just enjoying this club and this team, and hope to do good things for them.”

Yes, Mikel is an impressive young man with his feet very firmly on the ground.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Southampton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lindisfarne

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:38 AM

The new Rob Lee

• Jib

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM

No disrespect to Rob Lee but he isn’t fit to lace this guy’s boots.

Rob came to us in his mid 20’s after 300 games for Charlton.

Merino is a cut above any midfielder I can recall in a black and white
    shirt – as someone said yesterday – a Rolls Royce of a player.

• sing in the corner

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM

We just know we have a huge talent on our hands here. Watching him over several games this season we can see he is going to be the real deal.
    He’s one of those players..when he gets the ball there’s a buzz, gets you off your seat. He has quick feet and an instinctive, quick football brain. Peach of a pass in him and attacking in his mindset.

• Mindshaft

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Think he and Shelvey are our best pairing at the moment , sadly this stops Merino getting further upfield but we need Shelvey in the team if we are going to create anything

• Jib

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM

The Grauniad’s choice

Not much to argue with
    We are starting to see a settled side

• Jib

The Magnificent Seven:

• Lindisfarne

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Atlanta United’s Miguel Almiron looks a good prospect at #10

• Lindisfarne

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Although when you look at Ayoze Perez’ highlights there is a case for continuing to trust in his development. I would still prefer James Rodriguez at #10 any day though.

• ashleysmate

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM

I think the Mikel signing is a great move for the club and player
    But how soon before you know who ( Manchester, Chelski, Real, etc) come snooping around?
    Let’s hope Rafa has us competing amongst them in the not too distant future so he wouldn’t want to move anywhere.
    HWTL

• LGFUAD21

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Interestng rumours regarding robert kraft.

American owners tend to line up teams for crossover support among fanbases and the american market is certainly one still with potential to establish English clubs in terms of fanbases.

But aligning with boston (as much as i would love it being a patriots fan) could be difficult. People from boston tend to support liverpool due to the red sox and irish connection.

You wouldve though one of the norther team owners would have a great opportunity to align newcastle with their franchise. Who owns the vikings, packers or bears?

• LGFUAD21

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM

As much as people deride the 4231 you can see it works this season. If rafa were to get his first choice no 10 and striker we’d be sittng pretty i reckon.

Its not an exciting formation but it does its job. Its the most balanced formation in the modern game and most organised. Sometimes well look toothless. Sometimes well be boring. But well almost always have a chance f getting a result.

• jazzyp

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Merino our future No 10

• Jib

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM

The Pack have been owned by the people of Green Bay since 1923

• Jib

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:10 PM

The owner of the Vikings
    Zygi Wilf has been indicted for racketeering and fraud
    and ordered to pay his defrauded partners $84 million