Report – Billionaire Murat Ulker Has No Interest In Buying Newcastle

BBC Sport are reporting this morning there is no truth in the latest reports that Turkey’s richest man is interested in buying Newcastle United.

Recent reports had said that Murat Ulker, Chairman of giant foods company Yildiz Holding, was interested in buying the club from owner Mike Ashley and that he was going to invest £60M in new players.

And all that good stuff.

There was some detail in the reports but like in the past it seems to have been a made-up story.

Murat Ulker – Chairman of giant foods company Yildiz Holding

This is what a Yildiz Holding spokesperson has told BBC Sport:

“The company is not purchasing Newcastle and no discussions about the team have taken place.”

“We wish them the best of luck in finding a new owner.”

Ashley has just put the club up for sale officially, and this will be the third time he has tried to sell the club.

We remember in late 2008 there were lots of reports about people and consortia wanting to buy Newcastle and most of them turned out to be untrue.

That will all happen again in the next two months.

We are just hoping Ashley is sincere this time around in trying to sell the club and won’t pull the club from the market later this year like he in late December 2008.

That was a Sunday morning (December 28th to be exact) before we were hammered at home 5-1 by a Rafa Benitez led Liverpool side.

Ashley said at that time he couldn’t sell the club, so he was staying on as the owner.

Hopefully, that will not happen this time around.

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Deja vu:

Ashley puts Newcastle up for sale

Mike Ashley took control of Newcastle in May 2007

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is ready to sell the troubled club following a series of protests by angry supporters.
    Having pumped about £250m into the Magpies, billionaire Ashley says he is now unable to watch the Newcastle team due to fears over his family’s safety.
    “I’m now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game because I am advised that we would be assaulted,” he said.
    “I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle,” added Ashley, who has been under pressure since Kevin Keegan quit.
    Keegan left his position as manager after just eight months on 4 September, claiming he had no control of transfer dealings at St James’ Park.
    His departure prompted a number of protests against Ashley and the Newcastle board of directors, culminating in demonstrations in and outside the ground before, during and after Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat to Hull.

Why did Mike Ashley not realise the financial state of the club when he bought it?
    Those protests appear to have been the tipping point for Ashley, who has decided to put the Premier League club up for sale just 16 months after his £134.4m takeover of the club.
    “I am putting the club up for sale. I hope the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money on the club that the fans want,” said Ashley.
    Ashley, 43, issued an emotional 1,644 word statement on Sunday in which he spoke of his pride at owning the club.

Fans’ protests made Ashley decide to sell

Since taking control of the Magpies, he has made a point of standing with the fans rather than sitting in the director’s box but says he no longer feels it is safe for him to do so.
    It was this ‘special’ relationship with the fans that influenced his decision to hand Keegan a second chance to manage the club following the sacking of Sam Allardyce.
    Keegan took charge in January 2008 but eventually left citing boardroom differences, much to the anger of the majority of Newcastle fans.
    Most of that anger was directed at Ashley and Dennis Wise, the club’s executive director of football.
    “I am not stupid and have listened to the fans,” said Ashley, who insisted he bore no ill will to Keegan.
    “I don’t want anyone to read my words and think that any of this is an attack on Kevin Keegan. It is not,” he added.

“Kevin and I always got on. Everyone at the club, and I mean everyone, thinks that he has few equals in getting the best out of the players.
    “He is a legend at the club and rightly so. Clearly there are disagreements between Kevin and the board and we have both put that in the hands of our lawyers.”
    Signs of a split first surfaced towards the end of the January transfer window when the club sold James Milner to Aston Villa for £12m.
    Michael Owen, Joey Barton and Alan Smith almost followed and it was Keegan’s lack of control over these dealings that angered him.

Keegan also became frustrated with the lack of new faces at St James’ Park despite the summer arrivals of Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Xisco.
    But Ashley claimed that there was only so much money he could spend on the club without plunging Newcastle into further debt.
    This was a philosophy not shared by Keegan or the club’s supporters who were eager for big names to arrive at St James’ Park.
    “The truth is that Newcastle could not sustain buying the Shevchenkos, Robinhos or the Berbatovs,” said Ashley.
    “My plan and my strategy for Newcastle is different. It has to be.
    “Arsenal is the shining example in England of a sustainable business model. It takes time. It can’t be done overnight.”
    In his statement, Ashley revealed just how much he has spent in his tenure but insists he did not buy Newcastle to make money and will not leave them in the lurch.
    Indian businessman Anil Ambani publicly ended his interest last week while Chinese billionaire Xu Rongmao has also been linked with a bid.
    “I paid £134m out of my own pocket for the club,” said Ashley.
    “I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt.
    “Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees. I shall be paying out many more millions over the coming year to pay for players bought by the club before I arrived.”
    He added: “I have put Newcastle on a sound financial footing. It is reducing its debt. It is spending within itself. It is recruiting exciting new players and bringing in players for the future.

You want me out… that is what I am now trying to do but it won’t happen overnight and it may not happen at all
    Mike Ashley statement
    “This will not be a fire sale. Newcastle is now in a much stronger position than it was in 2007. It is planning for the future and it is sustainable.
    “I am very conscious of the responsibility that I bear in owning Newcastle United. Tough decisions have to be made in business and I will not shy away from doing what I consider to be in the best interests of the club. This is not fantasy football.
    He added: “I have the interests of Newcastle United at heart. I have listened to you.
    “You want me out. That is what I am now trying to do but it won’t happen overnight and it may not happen at all if a buyer does not come in.
    “You don’t need to demonstrate against me again because I have got the message.”

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM

All this recent news isn’t filling me with confidence that a sale will go ahead.

• Spoof

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Cyprus

What is your point, are you trying to suggest that the club is not for sale !

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM

It will happen, people just need to keep the faith!!!

Good times are ahead!! 🙂

• sparky55

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:30 AM

It’ll happen all right…whatever he gets as the deposit payment for the club will be worth 3 or 4 times that the very next day.

Believe me…it’ll happen.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:31 AM

To be frank who really knows if the club is up for sale…something that’s up for sale usually has a price!

…that way it’s easier to find a buyer!

Maybe Ashley will only sell if he can get a price that’s too good to be true!

Maybe he really is trying to sell…I don’t know with h anymore!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM

sparky
    I understand your confidence comes from Ashley’s desire to make this other deal go ahead. How do you interpret this latest news? Do you think Ashley would sell at a price less than our current value in order to get the cash for this deal of which you spoke? Say, for example, he told Amanda she could get the club for 200 million.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Sparky…I do read what you say with interest and I am sure you’re telling the truth…the truth you know!

Usually in a property deal the time frame is not short…everyone has insight in property development since plans are available at your municipal! Are plans needs to be approved!

How come Ashley has to sell so suddenly? He should have know of these developments a long time ago?

Do you know anything about this Sparky?

• EllaGuru

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Jesper
    One would hope that an official club announcement stating the club is up for sale would be proof enough! I can not recall another club being put on the market with a price tag attached.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Jesper
    Have you read sparky’s other posts about the property deal? This reason for selling makes complete sense to me. The club is up for sale, but only up to christmas. If no one buys before then the club will not be sold. This latest news worries me, because it suggests that a buyer hasn’t been found yet and it’s not long until christmas. How can you think the club is not up for sale?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Cyprus,
    Firstly, I don’t believe we were ever up for sale the first time as he would have not reached his goal of putting SD on the global market and would have actually lost money. Ten years on and he has had around 70/100M of advertising depending on what people think that is worth, despite what the books say he has made a lot of money on top of that as well. Even if he sells at 260M he will not lose out if a sale goes ahead. He also knows that if he loses Rafa the value of the club will plummet and the only way of keeping him is to keep him happy which he seems to have no intention of doing so. The time is right to sell and I don’t think he’ll turn down 260M if someone is serious.

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Spoof, my point?!

It’s right at the top: deja vu, nothing to decipher in it.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Cyprus.
    You were asked what your point is deja vu, and? So you don’t think we are for sale?
    The whole point of putting us for sale the first time was to quell fan unrest, which worked out very well for him. The only possible advantage he can gain this time is to put off investing in January to buy him another six months, why?

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Jail,
    I think we were genuinely up for sale, reading those words, again. Would you not want to sell up in those conditions, no matter whose fault?

But, like he said, it wasn’t a fire sale and I don’t think it will be now. Is he desperate for cash? Don’t think so, just needs rid of the grief and demands.

How much money has he made / lost from this stint? Man, I’ve no idea, what you or I write is speculation.

If this was purely financial, I wouldn’t even talk at less than 300. The squad alone has been estimated at that value… Tv rights? Potential?

Haven’t we had this conversation before 😉

• EllaGuru

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Jail,
    We can be fairly certain that any sale will have advertising space clauses put in, to ensure that SD is marketed around the world.

Ashley has moaned before about the loan he has serviced the club with (100M if I am not mistaken). I fear this will be a sticking point, but I hope that this staggered or deferred payment that was mentioned in the Press Release is referring to strategies related to how any potential new owner would deal with this loan that Ashley has given the club.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:01 AM

I am in the camp that believes this is genuine, however, surely we’re all well versed in Ashley and his version of logic?

That’s without the complexity of such a deal under normal circumstances anyway.

• posada

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM

I would not offer more than 200M.
    Once you’ve bought NUFC you would have to invest big style.
    Pointless putting in place a Stoke City type business model based on being self financing and just staying in the Prem. That way you would just be the new MA and get stick from the supporters.

Why would he want more. Does he deserve his money back. Not really.
    The press reported he lost 300M speculating in bank shares just before the crash.
    He will never get that money back, so why not take a hit on NUFC.
    If he really wants out.

• EllaGuru

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Ibiza
    Fake logic!

• sparky55

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Ashley has been buying city land and property over the last three years headed up by his son in law. I have mates who have been fighting over the same city centre land / property for different reasons. My mates are the under bidders on a piece of very expensive land..ashley won the bid but only on the basis the sale was completed by the 15th Dec.

This, along with two other deals I’m heard about through the grapevine (which I cannot verify as being 100% correct whereas this land deal I do know my info is 100% correct) leads me too believe some opportunities have been presented to him which being the kind of man he is he can’t turn down but doesn’t have enough cash in hand to do them all…unless he sells the toon

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Ellaguru…maybe I am just not trusting anything Ashley does these days…

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Cyprus,
    That is a matter of opinion and given the ten years of lies and deceit he has plagued us with I’d wager my opinion is more on the button.
    Jesper,
    He’s trying to buy a company, not building a she’d!

• Ibizatoon

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Ella…Your words, or is it my logic that’s fake? 🙂

• posada

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:07 AM

NUFC does not have huge potential without the right owners.
    Someone who can invest big.
    Why? Because we will never be able to compete with the big boys without it.

TV money and big crowds will never do it. The more clubs get the more they have to pay for players and wages.
    Walker, a right back 50 million !

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Posada,
    We only want a bloody cup 😮

• toontaff2

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM

All this talk of Murat McJaffacake and Cenk Tosun – lot of Turkey to take in, before Christmas!

• hibbit

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM

just keep the faith lads the sale will go through

on a side note
    all members of staff at st james and benton got a reminder yesterday that they have all signed confidentiality!!! agreements with the club !!!

• EllaGuru

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Ibiza
    I was actually referring to “Ashley’s logic”… Let’s not be so fast to get on the offensive!

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Jail,

It is a matter of opinion, agreed.

The lies and deceit, again. Are you generally referring to mistakes? Wrong calls? Is he the monster most think? Maybe, I think not, but I wouldn’t bet on either viewpoint.

Let’s face it. His reign didn’t bring what we (or he) expected. We’re both ready to move on, but it ain’t easy. If you’ve been in a bad marriage you’ll know the feeling. Them lawyers will do ok though 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Chancel…I have read some of it ?

…just wondered why the club hadn’t been put up for sale earlier seeing as a property deal doesn’t just present itseft…Ashley would have known of this a long time I would think?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Cyprus,
    No I’m referring to this.
    More damaging than the £2m pay-out is the panel’s indictment of the Newcastle hierarchy. The hearing declared that the club had admitted to ‘repeatedly and intentionally misleading the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United’, while the evidence given by owner Mike Ashley and his fellow executives over the course of the two-week hearing was described at one point in the verdict as ‘profoundly unsatisfactory’.

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Confession: I want more than a cup. That would do nicely for starters. Me and the other two local fans have been preparing for the Wembley trip for some time now.

But, I expect my team to… do an Everton. Not this year’s!

A team which has absolutely no danger of talking about ‘R’, a team which comfortably finishes in the top 10, a team that can occasionally spank a big guy. A team that plays nice football. Oh, and lest I forget the slogan, a team that… tries.

• Reilly

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM

how much is this property deal,how much will ashley have to fork out to get it done.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Jesper,
    If it had of just presented itself six months ago would it not have just presented itself then or would it have had to presented itself six months before that as well?

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Jesper
    That’s a fair point, but I guess the moves to start the ball rolling on a sale started well before we heard any inklings. I just find it hard to believe anyone can think the club is not genuinely up for sale now. We could end up stuck with Ashley, but only if he doesn’t sell before christmas.

• hibbit

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM

the club has been touted about since June its not something that’s just happened

• Ibizatoon

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Ellla….I did presume that first and that’s what the “your words” referred to. Just threw the other bit in as a joking disclaimer. I put a smiley and everything.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Reilly
    That’s a good question and I guess sparky is the only poster who might have an idea. In an earlier post I wondered how low Ashley would go to sell the club. Let’s say, for example, Ashley needed 150 million for this deal, would he sell us for 150 million, making a big loss on us, but furthering his other business. It seems he is struggling to get the money he wants for the club and the latest press releases suggest no buy is imminent. I just hope this other deal is so important that he will make prospective buyers an offer they can’t refuse.

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Jail
    Although that isn’t a span of ten years, it’s a fair and specific point you make. And it’s not a sweeping generalisation.

Although, if we are to be specific, we need to look closer: I heard KK himself say he had nothing against MA but was more against the ones in between, Wise and the CEO. It is they who were said to have lied to him in the Gonzalez case.

• Shoulders knees

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Good morning all, how are we today?