Report – Billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov Now Interested In Buying Newcastle

Things seem to be hotting up a bit on the Newcastle United takeover with Amanda Staveley today said to be willing to invest £300M for Newcastle with an extra £150M for new players over the next two years.

The news that Turkish Billionaire Murat Ulker was interested in buying the club turned out to be untrue, and a spokesman for his company has said that today.

The latest news is that Russian tycoon Mikhail Prokhorov is said to be monitoring the situation at Newcastle.

The news is in the Shields Gazette as an exclusive and they are reporting that Prokhorov wants to invest in the English Premier League.

Prokhorov owns NBA basketball side the Brooklyn Nets, and he is said to be worth around $8.9B (£6.7B) – give or take a few hundred million either way.

It’s interesting to note that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovic is worth $9.8B.

Russian Billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov

Prokhorov is said to wants to sell the Brooklyn Nets and is interested in buying a Premier League club. Bloomberg

Bloomberg reports the Nets are worth anything from $700M to $1.3M and they were purchased for just $365M back in 2010 – but some estimates of the club’s current worth go as high as $2.8B.

With Newcastle officially coming up for sale this week it’s natural that the Russian entrepreneur wants to follow the events at Newcastle United.

And the willingness of owner Mike Ashley to defer payments for the club will only tend to attract more interest.

But as we mentioned yesterday there are going to be lots of reports about Billionaires and consortia interested in buying Newcastle, and in truth, most of the stories will be false.

We’d be OK with Amanda Staveley buying the club, and there’s news today she is willing to bid around £300M for the club.

Things seem to be picking up, and Mike Ashley would like to sell the club before the end of the year so the new owners can give Rafa some significant money to spend in the January transfer window.

We hope all of this is true.

• Veltman

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM

Amanda Staveley sounds good.Or someone from Qatar or UAE.That is what I’m hoping for myself.
    All the best for the ongoing process.

• Alems1983

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM

2009 Some quotes from Mike Ashley

“I have to put £20m a year into the club — I spend more than every other fan put together puts into the club each year. If you can’t pay up front to buy the club, you can’t afford it.

“Chris (Hughton) deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job. But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.

“Of course I regret it (buying the club). I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short.”

Interesting line from the above quote is if potential owners don’t have enough money outright to buy the climb they can’t afford it…..

• lochinvar

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Just like the Boxing Day sales – the queue’s start early.
    Better check who’s camped out on the steps of SJP.
    Don’t expect any big discounts from the House of Ashley but it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity nevertheless.
    Let the games begin.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:16 PM

can anyone remember the name of the russian billionaire who went to uni in newcastle and became a massive nufc fan.

• martoon

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM

We don’t really know who would be a good owner. Amanda Stavely might be attractive but that doesn’t mean that she and her mates wouldn’t asset strip and sell SJP to property developers! I don’t think that would happen but I’m just saying how can we judge?

• DubaiMicky

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM

@Veltman, no-one from the UAE will buy it, Shk Mansour won’t allow it – that’s the way politics and families are – and they all (Royals here) come from the Sir Bani Yas tribe – they won’t stand on each other’s toes in this instance, it would also screw up Staveley’s relationship with Mansour.
    Qatar is an interesting one, at the moment there’s a blockade against Qatar by UAE, Saudi and others, no flights, airspace and seaspace closed etc., again the Me politics of “You’re either with me or against me” could come into play here (UAE/Saudi won’t want her to be backing their enemy, Qatar). Could be a possibility though.
    Saudi is the dark horse, they have the money, and none of them own a Premier League team. The Sauds are beyond rich too, Staveley could do a deal with them and not piss off her other clients (other than Qatar).
    Or it could be she’s working on behalf of a “fund” that no-one knows the real owners of, but that doesn’t make sense as Arabs like to show off.
    Who knows.

• hibbit

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Rotonda heights

Alexey Mordashov (born 26 September 1965), is a Russian businessman and billionaire. … He later gained an MBA from Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, in 2001

• hibbit

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Rotonda heights

Alexei Mordashov/Net worth
    18.3 billion USD
    2017

• DaveD1000

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM

It’s getting to sound like the transfer window….anyone who gets a tax rebate will be linked with buying the toon

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Chancel…I don’t doubt the club is for sale at the right price…I think it has always been!

…even if it isn’t sold before Christmas…you would still be able to buy it!

I just don’t get the time frame…or more so why the club hasn’t been put up for sale earlier if it was so important … Ashley would have known about those property deals for a while!

Property development takes time and city planning doesn’t just happens. It needs to be approved!

• Rotonda heights

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM

cheers Hibbitt

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM

I just find something about it all strange…even for Ashley!

Never the less I hope when he leaves it will be for good!

• clinath@ed

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Will MA accept the old pound coins? I appear to have a few left…

• Jib

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM

• ToonRich

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Could HMRC and possibly the FA colluded to out MA over the dodgy dealings…giving him the only option of selling up!! Wishful thinking!!

• posada

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Not another buyer.
    I’ve got it on good authority that Bobby Bee and Mr Rama are putting a consortium together.
    Good look lads count me in for a tenner.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Jesper,
    Like I said before, if he’d put it up for sale six months ago, would you not be asking why he never put it up for sale six months before that.

• mathes1982

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Prokhorov has done a terrible job running the Nets here in the US. I would be skeptical of him purchasing the team. He made terrible trades and has decimated the team for years to come.

• Veltman

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:05 PM

DubaiMicky – how about the current Man City owners.How did they managed to buy city?Aren’t they from UAE?

martoon – you and I barely engage as you sound creepy at times but you seem to be changed lately?Have you just found a husband or something ?Whatever it is,well done to you.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Veltman it’s precisely because Abu Dhabi owns Man C that no-one from Abu Dhabi will buy a “rival”. And Dubai can’t afford it. Middle East politics and families, it’s fun.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Jail…there’s a simple reason why don’t respond to your ongoing nonsense…

…I get you don’t understand this about property development and city planing!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Veltman calling martoon creepy ha ha ha. Oh the irony 😀

• Geordie1

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Right, you lot you heard it here first. I have just been to the Council to ask them if they would loan me £417 million so that I could the TOON I would repay the debt at £8 Million per year over a 52 year period also giving the Council a Private Box for there usage, I did explain that it would be a worthwhile investment as it would help the Council be a real part of the community instead of being the vain of the community. Begging letters for tickets will be frowned upon! lol.

• Christopher Asprilla

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Bad news from Chinese congress! No international funding on sports unless essential any investment not in their own country sports wise would be frowned upon. Could knock 3 of our non disclosures on the head. It’s seriously looking like if this is going to happen it’s going to be closer to home. At the minute I think it’s probably Staveley or bust. Everything or nothing. Wow feel sick!

• dannitoon

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Surprised the indian telecom billionaire who went to newcastle uni and supports the toon hasnt been mentioned yet..

• cookiemate

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Do not want Prokhorov, I’m a Nets fan and he’s jacked the team up big time

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM

After 10yrs of Ashley, bring on the Russian, This guy has two options in avoiding tax through wise investment. He can do some dodgy laundering or invest in us, 2 billion would do nicely, a new 80.000 seater Bernabeu style stadium and fill it with world class footballers and let Rafa do the rest. Look no further than PSG, we used to do some good business with them a few yrs ago when PSG was a selling club but look at them now, top 3 or 4 in Europe, all because of invested money.The same could be a reality for us, BRING IT ON!!!!!

• Sivarese

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:14 AM

I’m just looking forward to getting rid of all the Sports Direct signage.