Alan Shearer’s Emotional Two Word Response To Newcastle’s Late Goal And 1-0 Win

Quite honestly we don’t care how we win these days and it was a late header from Mikel Merino that was the only goal of the game this afternoon at home to Crystal Palace and that was enough for a very good 1-0 win.

The game was not good and Newcastle were nowhere near our best form – but it was a clean sheet and all 3 points and we jump up to 6th place in the table.

We’ll take it!

Alan Shearer probably expressed the feelings of Newcastle fans around the world with his two word response to the win – we think it’s 2 (long) words.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

when we played like that under Pardew and McLaren we would have been battered 4 – 0 easily. Amazing mentality transformation since to see us actually win when playing as bad as we possibly can.

• Bambams

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Merino plays no10 for the under 21 team (Spain) and I don’t understand why Rafa hasn’t tried him there.

I think Lejeune could turn out to be a very accomplished cb

Three more points though, Mackems lost a two goal lead and it’s my daughters 18th tonight!

Oh yes ……

• Mindshaft

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Definitely last on MOTD tonight, feel sorry for the editors trying to find highlights out of that game other than the goal 🙂

• Mindshaft

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM

?

• Mindshaft

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

:hankey:

• Mindshaft

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

pileofpoo emoji

• OldCrowMedicineShow

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Pleased with the win in spite of a lacklustre performance. I must say that the toon put the cherry on top for my wedding today.

HWTL HWTF!!!

• Ron Knee

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM

• Vask

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM

By my crude calculations we’re on course to achieve a total points haul of around the early to mid fifties. Where will that put us at the end?

• KernowToon

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Lejeune is an accomplished centre back, knows how to keep the ball exactly where he wants it, really impressed with him today.

• Vask

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Cracking header that.

• chicousa

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM

I wonder will Merson will predict the score to be next week? Oh wait….who gives a sh!te !

• Hail Wor Ashley

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

I’d start Merino and Hayden against Burnley personally. Hayden better and more effective pressing on smaller pitches which also factor in to Shelvey’s potential for expansive passing. We’ll, be looking to be compact and combative again.

Then there’s possibly Mitro (I doubt, though I’ve had enough of the ineffective, sleepy Joselu for now and I fought his corner a month or so ago) and Diame to come in and freshen it up.

Think one of the main reasons we finally built momentum towards the end was simply the fact we had more strength and presence in the final third, up until Diame came on it was easy pickings for their defence.

Perez had one of his worst games today, usually he at least has a few moments where he makez something happen, whether he executes is a different matter of course and is usually the balance between opinion of him having a good game or not, but today just nothing of the sort and never nicked the ball in advanced positions either.

• Ron Knee

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Newcastle goalscorer Mikel Merino: “It’s great the winning feeling so I’m really happy for the result and my first goal. The most important thing is the three points.

“This is a really hard team to play. They are really compact and strong. We did a great effort physically, but in the second half we had more of the ball. At the end, from a set piece, we have our three points.”

• AncientC

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM

I believe we will start seeing more of Mitrovic now. Earning his way back into Rafa’s trust takes patience. Mitrovic seems to have knuckled down, uncomplaining, just getting on with it.

Atsu is starting to catch my eye—you can see the massive amounts of potential in the threat he poses, if it starts clicking for him, he could be a very dangerous winger indeed.

• c-dog

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM

It ain’t pretty but by god is it affective.

• AncientC

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Perez played large parts of the game further up the pitch than Joselu. Unless Joselu had been instructed to drop deeper than Perez, I can’t make sense of his positioning. He doesn’t meed to move out wide either.

• martoon

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM

HWA agree I’m not a perez hater but today he had a poor game. I groaned when Diame came on but he made a difference and played well.

• GenralHez

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Poor game, excellent result and proved Merson wrong.

• Tsunki

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Yet another “poor” side who “handed us the win” etc…..

Palace are trying to turn around a potential disaster with Roy H consolidating them as a strikerless midfield tank with pace on the wings. It sometimes gets results when you are playing open teams who expect to win with skill against you. But not against teams like us who are doing pretty similar stuff. But better ha ha

• Toon1978

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Been on and off this blog for years but I’ve not commented on here since 2014ish. I’m absolutely buzzing after today’s result. Not the greatest by any stretch but a hard fought game. Not at all sure why Merino didn’t start but Benitez knows what he’s doing. Exciting times at Nufc with maybe a mega rich owner taking over next year and sitting very pretty in the league. Happy happy days. One very chuffed supporter. Will comment again in 2020 ‘)