Report – Newcastle Top Target To Be Made Available In January Transfer Window

There’s a report in the Mirror today that Liverpool will allow striker Danny Ings to leave the club in January.

Danny has had a terrible time of it since he joined Liverpool from Burnley back in the summer of 2015, and he has had severe knee injuries, but he is now fully fit.

Rafa Benitez has been interested in Ings who was a target of Newcastle’s way back in 2010 when he was on loan at Dorchester from Bournemouth as a teenager.

The 25-year-old will be available on loan, but there have been reports Benitez would like to buy him in January.

However, a period on loan with an option to buy in the summer could be a safer bet for Newcastle.

Ings has had to recover from two ACL knee injuries (Anterior Cruciate Ligament), and he has shown great character and fight to return to full fitness.

Danny Ings – available in January

Danny remains way down the pecking order of the strikers at the Reds, but he needs to play, so a loan deal from Liverpool’s viewpoint is a good option for their striker.

But we’d be surprised if Rafa Benitez agreed to a loan deal without an option to buy the player in the summer.

Newcastle need at least one striker brought in over the January transfer window, and one of our current strikers – Aleksandar Mitrovic or Dwight Gayle – could then depart in January.

In over two years at the Reds, Danny has made only 12 first team appearances with 3 goals, so he needs first team games somewhere.

Ings is a good target man and has shown he can score goals in the Premier League.

He scored 11 PL goals in 35 games in his last term at Burnley in the 2014-2015 season – when the Turf Moor side were relegated under manager Sean Dyche.

Danny would seem to be a savvy loan signing for Newcastle in January, and the news is that he wants to play only for a Premier League side if he does go out on loan.

What do you think?

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:51 AM

If the Takeover happens this will be a none starter

If we are still under the Tenure of Ashley then it’s just his cup of tea

• lochinvar

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Danny Ings – no way, plodder now and past his sell by date. This is not the future. A younger, fitter more athletic striker in the mould of Merino is.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:04 AM

I look forward to a journalist doing an interview with Jonjo this week, once he is clear of any repercussions from yesterdays match. I want to hear why he behaves so cantankerously, his opinion on Rafa, the feeling in squad, what went down on the training pitch and how Toon Supporters compare.

• Tramp

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM

I just read an article in Sunday Express that states Rafa will be given a 500M war chest over the next two transfer windows if the takeover goes through. That same article then goes on to mention that we could then look to bring back Townsend and Ben Arfa! Hahahahaha! I almost cried!

• Lindisfarne

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:13 AM

If you look at the stats on Perez he does perform at a higher level than you expect when watching the match, however he does suffer from being disposed more often also. I think he and Joselu have been given enough opportunity to establish themselves and should have no complaints at being benched. But, as a lot are saying, there is not a lot to replace them, Gayle should have been sold already and although Mitro has 14 goals in 33 starts(?) his overall contribution is similar to Joselu.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Tramp

After yesterday’s reception there is no way Cabaye or Townsend will be coming back to the club
    Every Corner Both lads got hammered when they went over to the corners, Especially over at the Gallowgate

• toonbrother

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:16 AM

@Lindisfarne pls provide a link to the stats to which you refer

• lochinvar

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Yet again the Refs are inconsistently incompetent and appear to make selective choices on taking instructions from the Fourth official.
    The ref appeared to delay his decision on whether or not Cabaye should have been sent off – did he take advice from the Fourth Official in his ear piece ?
    If that was the case why did the Fourth official get it so wrong ?
    Surely if there is advice requested or given by the fourth official then players and fans should be told this – in the same way as a goal line decision is communicated as goal or no goal – there is a signal from the ref to indicate that decision has been communicated.

And take a look at the tackle of Adam Smith on Jese Rodriquez in the Stoke v Bournemouth match and compare it to when the penalty was awarded against Lejeune. It was a clear tackle, took the players legs and no penalty given just a corner.
    Meanwhile the Southampton player takes a dive when the ball is out of his control and running over the line with zero goal scoring possibility and a penalty is awarded. That’s simulation and should be retrospectively looked at. The FA are doing that against a Carlisle player when they won a penalty and scored from it so why not Ings ? Double standards yet again.

The FA remain a moribund mouldy institution with no capability of providing clarity and innovation in decision making , bit like the refs really.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:18 AM

IMO Ashley will favour an investment deal where he retains a favourable shareholding for as much money as possible. Any money for a transfer kitty will not be his concern and he will possibly hold onto the sponsorship and merchandising. Otherwise any prospective buyer will have to pay top dollar.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Hibbit…I didn’t watch the game yesterday. I tried to follow it on my smartphone so had to do with a text transcript and stat-highlights…

I did get Perez had a very poor game, but from what I could he was not the only one and that is in line with what others are saying.

I don’t know why Yedlin gets more MoMs than Lejeuen, but to give you an example of what’s out there on the World Wide Web take a look at this link:

My phone gave me the same stats more or less. Yedlin and Lascelles had the best stats in defence and Lejeune had the worst until late in the game.

Of those who started the game Atsu was the standout, but that doesn’t really correspond either with the MoMs on this blog.

But as you say everyone has their opinion, but I’ll admit when you haven’t watched the game yourself coming on here can be a very confusing exercise 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Was Amanda Staveley in stands yesterday?

• Lindisfarne

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:23 AM

toonbrother

General observation from whoscored. I have kept referring to them because of the amount of abuse Perez gets and they have influenced my opinion that has previously received more abuse than he deserves. I have never really had a strong feeling he should be starting, as I would prefer Ritchie as #10 but have had to acknowledge on balance he was perhaps the best worst option. We desperately need better quality in the front two especially but Rafa is using the cards with which he has been dealt.

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Morning, jesper

Full match – if you can bear to watch it!

• hibbit

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM

jazzyp

WHEN the takeover happens there will be upgrades all round the pitch

my comments on Perez were in reference to yesterdays performance i was trying to point out it wasn’t just him yesterday
    when money becomes available i’m sure Perez will be replaced very quickly

• toonbrother

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:34 AM

@Lindisfarne thanks
    Ritchie as no 10 would be an awful idea in my opinion
    According to whoscored his pass accuracy is worse than Perez.
    He is far less creative than Perez and does not have the ability to go past defenders.
    He can cross the ball though. He belongs on the wings.

• toonbrother

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:36 AM

@jesperfuglsang I completely agree the MoM ratings on this blog have been wildly biased against Atsu
    Same goes for Yedlin.
    Not sure why

• Lindisfarne

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:38 AM

…..in fact, any potential Investor / Buyer would be foolish to mention any Transfer Fund as MA will view as being better off in his pocket.

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Stats should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Jordan Henderson has a unbelievable pass accuracy yet the Liverpool fans slate him because all his passes are sideways or to defenders.

Stats don’t tell the full story or even outline the story

• Average_Contents

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Has anyone seen that picture doing the rounds from yesterday of jonjo celebrating in front of cabaye (he’s on the floor looking distraught) after we score?

Quality haha.

Seen it on one website and they reckon he’ll be banned over it.

Anything at all and they’re all over us. Pathetic.

• lesh

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Jazzy

You referred to Shelvey doing something to Cabaye after the goal – what’d he do?

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Average

Hoi a link up please

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Cabaye’s foul looked bad from the Gallowgate, but on the TV replays it looks even worse – had to be red!
    I’m sure Cabaye floored Shelvey in the penalty box and was getting up after we scored, when that ‘incident’ took place! Would be about right if he got a ban, but Cabaye got nowt.
    First 70 minutes were awful, but last 20 livened up and I’d take an ugly 1-0, all day! Maybe Woy’s tactics wuined the match – vewy fwustwating! 😆

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:14 AM

The Shelvey thing is on newsnow – Shields Gazette and a few other articles!

• Rotonda heights

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM

So cabaye does a potentially leg breaking scissoring fly hack and gets only a yellow and no retrospective further punishment, but shelvey could be banned for a bit of banter. Just about sums up the FA.

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Why would Shelvey be banned for that?

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Lesh

When the corner came over for the goal , Shelvey wrapped an arm around Cabaye and Cabaye went down as if he had been shot, Consequently both players going to the floor.
    After the ball went in the net Shelvey got up and bent over to Cabaye and Celebrated in his face.

A petty thing to do in the heat of the moment, But that’s all it was really.
    Pretty ironic if he does get a two game ban considering the tackle Cabaye did on Yedlin

• Average_Contents

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Won’t let me post a link. 3rd time lucky

• Average_Contents

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Haha, it worked.

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM

To be honest, i didnt mind the match, and now i have had a night to think about it i dont think we were that bad.

first thought was they came to make it a scrappy game, and couple that with the fact that we played with 9 men, i amazed that we won it,. Both Joselu and Perez were hopeless yesterday, and if those 2 dont show up then our wide players have an impossible job to do, no runners and nothing to aim at.

Palace came for a point and got nothing which is exactly what they deserved, playing with no CF and not really getting into the box, hoping for free kicks and corners, this is the sign of a poor team.

We had 55% possession and 80% pass completion, which i think is the highest we have had this season

joselu and perez had 47 touches between them mitrovic was on only12 mins and had 11. Perez had only ,9% of possession Mitro had .6%, like i said we played with 9 men. if a forward is having a bad game, the least he can do is pull players out of position, we didnt even get that, it was like they only wanted perfect balls to feet and no defenders in front of them.

RED card all day long, he was angry from not getting a penalty, and poor yedlin got hacked down .

I think our defense coped very well their pacey front men.

I gave my MOM to Yedlin, but it was close, Legeune was my no2.

I think Joselu has had enough time to prove something, and i think he is lost at this level, Perez works better with Mitro.

i actually thought Diame had one of his better appearances yesterday, i always worry when i see him coming on

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM

A worse offender than that was Zaha who was constantly diving and looking for penalties and free kicks all game.
    That got the crowds back up all game until he was subbed and threw a childish strop

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Catchy

I agree about Diame coming on, Yet I thought he gave us an edge going forward and offered more of a target than both Forwards on the pitch.
    Stoke will definitely be rubbing there hands on the sale of Joselu as both he and Perez have no ball retention whatsoever.
    I rate them less than Mitro who looks to have no future at the club, As well as Gayle Who incidentally I past at the players entrance as I was coming out.He ran up the steps into the player entrance back into the ground , And didn’t look injured to me

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Jazzy/Shire – was there anyone on the bridge over the A1, near Richmond? I’m concerned – I did say another storm may have been whipped up by Sing, mentioning AA, the forgotten man!
    Watched bit of C5, just to laugh at sunderland, and to see AA, who nearly scored and Sammy.

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Shelvey was later seen celebrating, whilst wearing a black and white tea towel n his heed – 15 match ban, thwacking and a diversity course with the usual suspects! 👿
    However, because Cabaye is French, he’s getting a pardon!

• lesh

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Jazzy

Shelvey’s behaviour seems to be nosy more than childish behaviour and the ref has presumably ignored it.

But, playing in black n white stripes seems to invite the media’s negativity.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Toontaff

No but I’ve been repairing the panel damage on the discovery I suffered on the way home last night.
    There was Debris flying about everywhere on the A1 making it quite treacherous

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Went for Lascalles as MoM, but Lejeune was my other possible.
    Manquillo lost it, for me, in first half, when he had loads of time and space near halfway, but passed back to Elliott, when Atsu was behind him in acres! Brain freeze? Did play well, otherwise.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Lesh

Yeah mate I agree that any given moment anything Nufc seems to be scrutinised by the media , When as said before a straight red should have gone to Cabaye. Zaha was constantly diving about and should have been booked numerous occasions.
    If Shelvey would have done that tackle yesterday the media circus would have been all over it today.

Another point is the Ref had a bad game yesterday and was inconsistent all game

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Thanks Ron…I’ll have a look later…I have been warned though…I friend told me to skip the first half 🙂 lol

Toonbrother…from my experience on here a lot of people are very biased when they watch us play…it makes it hopeless to get an idea of who was great and who was poor when you haven’t watch the game!

I take most things I read on here with a pinch of salt and then I compare it to what I have read elsewhere…

Someone on here said stats doesn’t tell the whole story…it doesn’t even outline the story. I think that was what was said?

But it tells everything people seems to have missed when they have been more concerned about finding fault or positive with players they either don’t rate or loves for what ever reason…

I think stats are just as important as listening to what people have experienced…

• toontaff2

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:51 AM

I swore I’d never mention the PL refereeing, again, after the Championship shower! But………………