This Could Be Merino’s Best Position At Newcastle – Worth A Try

Even when Mikel Merino doesn’t start for Newcastle, he still manages to have an impact on the game.

He did exactly that yesterday, and after coming on early in the second half for Isaac Hayden, he put some initial passes astray but then helped Newcastle to get the win.

Mikel’s passing improved quickly once he got into the game and he managed to get his very first goal for Newcastle four minutes from time to give us all 3 points against bottom of the table Crystal Palace.

But Palace played well yesterday and are now well organized under new manager Roy Hodgson.

Mikel Merino – he can play the number 10 role

Ayoze Perez had a mediocre game yesterday in the number 10 position, and maybe it’s worth starting Mikel in that position at Burnley a week tomorrow?

The 21-year-old plays that position for the Spanish U21 side and scored two goals in their recent Internationals.

Maybe he can do a job there for Newcastle with Jonjo Shelvey and Issac Hayden playing in the two central midfield positions.

Mikel in his nufcTV interview after yesterday’s game said he has never played that far forward before but admitted that adding goals to his game.

Mikel said he wants to become the best player he can become at Newcastle and his ambition is a breath of fresh air.

It may be worth a try to give Mikel a chance, and he could start getting the goals as the withdrawn striker at Newcastle.

It could be worth a try.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

jazzyp
    Oct 22, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    Thump
    It was about the Platinum or Milburn not singing again that fired me up and I’m fed up of it.
    We all pay our money to go and watch the match in which ever section we wish to sit. And every fan has a god given right to watch and participate in the match as they see fit.
    The Platinum is based predominantly around the older clientele especially where I sit and don’t see them amongst the young uns based in the Gallowgate.
    And to be fair the Platinum has lost a lot of its regulars that have frequented the Milburn for many years, So maybe that’s why the singing doesn’t come from this section as it is mainly based on flying visitors.
    Just an observation like

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Good afternoon Jazzyp…did you get the sidepanel fixed? Most have been a crazy ride back home mate

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM

jazzy

I agree. Supporters can react in any way they like. In the 60s, I switched from the Leazes to the Gallowgate. Quite a difference in participation – but all were supporters nonetheless.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Jordan Pickford has a canny welly on him

• Thump

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM

@Jazzy: Nah, I get it, I was just trying to clarify.

Problem isn’t the Milburn (though there are a few who are part of the problem), the problem is that the stadium as a whole has been silent for ages. Last season was the loudest I’ve heard SJP in ages, and this season is hard to judge (I’m sat right in the middle of the Gallowgate, so I have the singing section on my left, and Strawberry Cornwr on my right – clouds my judgement a tad).

There was no better sound than the last game of the season hearing all four sides of SJP roar when we heard that Villa had drawn. If that could be channeled in every game, that stadium would be terrifying for visitors – and probably our lads as well!

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:41 PM

Afternoon Jesper

Yeah mate fixed it this morning. Called in Auto factors to pick up some panel clips. Fixed em in to the plastic panel that got hit and popped it back on, God knows what hit us on the A1 bud but at least we got home safe and sound

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM

Jazzyp…it’s crazy driving around when debris is coming your way…

A Land Rover Discovery is a very nice car 😀

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Thump

I agree because yesterday when we pushing for it towards the end, The noise was deafening and it made the hairs stand up at the back of your neck, And I to wish it was like that for 90 minutes.
    In the mid 90s the noise came from all sections of the ground as it was based on more regulars and season ticket holders than now, Which brings me back to the point about flying visitors to the club.
    For years I was sat around the same faces on Weighman engineering row ll of the platinum. A bond is built and the crowd interacts more. But now the faces have gone.. Maybe through Ashley’s running of the club who knows mate

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Jesper

I think my missus and Shirebrook were clinging on for dear life mate last night. A Discovery is a heavy beast but the winds going home was blowing us and many all over the place.
    Not a pleasant experience pal I can tell ya

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM

Jazzy
    It was like being on a fishing trawler mate.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Ron knee

Afternoon buddy

I to started off in the corner of the leazes when the away fans use to be positioned. We use have some right banter and sing offs with em in the late 90s and early 2000’s.
    But eventually we grow up and age and leave it to the young uns to carry the mantle.
    All I am saying mate is if you want to go to the match and sing ya heart out then god bless ya and I salute you. But equally if you wish to interact at the match without singing then that’s your entitlement as well

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Shirebrook

Hey mate has your face thawed out lol.
    How bad was that bud last night, I thought at times the weather was gonna spin the car, God knows how the lorry drivers were feeling. Although I noticed a lot had pulled over.

At least we won mate and say it quietly….Sixth

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:01 PM

jazzy

Exactly. Each to his own!

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Everton getting chinned off of the Gooners
    7th

• Novocastrian66

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Everton are garbage. Koeman has blew his transfer kitty, paying over the odds for average players. It must seem like Groundhog Day for Pickford. He is overrated too by the way.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM

Koeman it is now obvious built his rep at
    Soton on the back of the foundations laid
    by Mauricio Pochettino.
    MP is now being courted by Real Madrid
    it will be hard for an Argentinian to resist.

• Tsunki

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

I don’t think Evertons players are all overrated it’s an untidy outfit. I bet Benitez would have them unified ok. A couple of seasons ago Baines was an unstoppable rocket, and Siggurdson? Well there’s something off there . Arsenal aren’t really as cohesive as they should be and you would expect an everton team to be giving them a hard time. All good for the likes of us though.funny but at season start there were loads raving about everyone chances this year, of course we were the leagues whipping boys. Funny old sport eh?

• Bambams

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM

We are about to drop to 7th…..

Oh how will we manage the worry !

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM

If Tottingham (sic) can do the
    red bindippers we’ll remain 7th
    even a draw will suffice (on gd)

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM

It’s a bit of a massacre now. Everton 18th, I think.

• Novocastrian66

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM

Perez was poor yesterday. I was disappointed with his reaction when withdrawn. It seemed to be very petulant, the way he took the tape off his wrists and threw them to the ground while leaving the pitch.
    He needs to have a spell on the bench.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM

Rafa exemplifies the credo
    that a good manager is much
    more important than a big warchest
    Combine the two and the sky’s the limit

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Novocastrian66
    It’s all a matter of interpretation
    I took that as frustration with himself
    rather than truculence
    He’d had a ‘mare and knew it.

• AncientC

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Merino would be wasted chasing defenders down for most of the game. Maybe let him roam forward in possession, but leave the chasing defenders around for those whose talents are not missing elsewhere.

• Novocastrian66

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Everton’s back four is a shambles. No doubt Rafa would get them organised but Jagielka and Baines look like they’re way past their best. Keane looks as though he has never played centre half before.
    Kenny is out of his depth.

• Bambams

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM

I can see Koeman getting sacked tomorrow.

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:49 PM

Spending money does not mean success. Just look at Everton.

In relegation zone after spending 100m pm players.

• jane

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Koeman shouldn’t be sacked i don’t think he will be.
    Everton have played Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal.
    they’ve had Europa league matches.
    they didn’t buy well (was that Koeman?)

• Bambams

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Spurs on fire here…..

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Jazzy,
    A massive over reaction to an observation I made, I didn’t single you out and didn’t even think about where you sit before I said it. That’s more than once Hail Wor Ashley has made a comment and I’ve taken the brunt for it as well. What I found annoying about it was that it seemed like a non singing section which is fair enough if that’s what people want, but after 86 minutes the whole area found it’s voice, like I said I know it’s hard to get a song going when the team is playing so poorly but surely it works both ways, I don’t think there was much effort from the fans in that section.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Fabulous second goal from Spurs
    Courtois threw the ball to the half way line !!!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:18 PM

As well Jazzy on not agreeing with you in the past where you accused me of singling you out, this is a blog where people have very different opinions, if I see one I don’t agree with I’m going to say so, if we all ignored each other’s posts that we don’t agree with for blog harmony what would be the point. Swallocks and WW…. have differing opinions to me sometimes, I don’t respond to them by calling them sunshine.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM

eliot has done ok but failed to get down to low shots on a few occasions and has got beaten on his near post too.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM

What an advert for English footy and the PL this game is.
    End to end
    It takes two good sides to produce a game of this quality

• Ron Knee

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Thank God Rafa prioritised putting a decent back four together!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Mitro got some reception. I don’t think Joselu’ s confidence or ability is going to improve at all.

• Canadian Mag

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Sarah nets one back. 2 1

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Jail

I’m not going over old stomping ground from last summer.Past is past and that’s why I stopped engaging you.
    There is ways and means on how to debate with people without sniping at fellow bloggers.You get into scrapes every week with people because how your posts come across as we often don’t know how to take you.
    Again if we cannot debate matters in a civil way then let’s just skip over one another’s Moniker.. trust me it’s easy to do.
    Or an ideal scenario would be the next time your at a match meet up to air our views face to face over a pint. Can’t be fairer than that

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Jazzy,
    I never sniped at you though, I made a comment on my experience sitting in the Milburn stand, do we really have to take a step back and think before we post in case we upset someone. I didn’t even really know you had a beef with me until you had a pop at me for disagreeing with one time. I can’t ever recall being uncivil towards you.

• jazzyp

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Jail

Really. You cannot recollect me blowing up at you last summer for the same thing…. Short memory.
    And the Sunshine comment is a natural term used in the Midlands like “Morning Sunshine” so there was no malice in the comment.

1 2 3 5