How Jonjo Shelvey Has Been Brilliantly Managed By Rafa Benitez

Rafa Benitez has said a number of times that we could be even better off than we are at the moment with 14 points from our first nine games.

One of the games we could have done better in was the first game of the season when we were doing well into the second half against Tottenham when Jonjo Shelvey got himself sent off, and we ended up losing the game 2-0.

We could have even won that game if we had kept 11 men on the field.

After that game, Rafa was frustrated we hadn’t done better and annoyed at Shelvey, who has been a bit of a loose cannon in his career.

But Shelvey today has said the next day Rafa had a talk with him about how that kind of behavior can be prevented in the future.

Jonjo Shelvey – brilliantly managed by Rafa Benitez

This is what Jonjo said on Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday, and initially, he’s referring to when Rafa had the private talk with him after the Tottenham game:

“It was the turning point in the season for me as I knew how I felt after that Tottenham game, I did not really want to play football to be honest,”

“I locked myself in my room because I did not want to speak to anyone, including my family.”

“I just switched my phone off and turned my TV off and that was me for the rest of the night.”

“But then you get that feeling after the Liverpool game where you are buzzing because you played well and assisted the goal.”

“There are going to be ups and downs in football, you just have to make sure there are more ups than downs.”

“My dad gave me a telling-off after the game. And I would not come out of the changing rooms until we left to go home because I felt that bad and that I had let everyone down, which I had.”

“But the main people that I had to get back onside were my manager, my team-mates and the supporters of the football club.”

“That is my aim and that is what I am going to try and do.”

“I sent Rafa a text after the game when I was on my way home really apologizing. The next day I came in and we had a little chat and it was forgotten about.”

“I said I was going to work my socks off to regain your and the club’s trust. And that is what I am working towards still.”

“He had a go at me after the Tottenham game, which was right to be honest. It was a stupid mistake and we have now drawn a line under it.

“I feel like the last four or five games, I have come back in a totally different mind-set.”

“I know for a fact that had I not come back with a different mind-set, then my career would probably only go one way and I did not want that.”

“I feel that the last five or six games, teams do try and provoke you because they know they may get a reaction out of you.”

“And it has happened the last five or six weeks, but I just seem to block it out. So fingers crossed, it keeps happening.”

Rafa, of course, is a very experienced manager who has managed many players – many world-class players.

Just in case we haven’t said this before – Newcastle United FC are now realizing the vast benefits of having Mr. Benetiz as the Newcastle manager.

Long may it all continue.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

With Southampton drawing 1-1 at Brighton today we remain in 8th place in the league table and can move up to 6th place with a win at Burnley tomorrow night.

If we draw we move up to 7th place and drop one place to 9th place if we lose with Burnley moving above us.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
9Brighton12016
10Huddersfield12-915
11Newcastle12-314
12Leicester12-213
13Bournemouth12-313

• Jib

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:23 PM

It’s difficult this man management thing
    Aggression is part of Jonjos game
    You don’t want to curb it totally
    He needs some lessons in control
    (take note Rotonda)

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:28 PM

I was glad to see Merino take his place and would have been happy to see him left out longer, unfortunately Hayden had an off day and he got back in. There’s no denying he’s one of our best players though.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM

If only he’d just mentioned his smelly breath and left out the Arab bit!

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM

What a shame about the other three results I got wrong yesterday, hope to gawd I make it two out of five tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Got my five results for next weekend.
    Us to beat Bournemouth. West Ham to beat Liverpool. Soton Burnley to draw. Man City to beat Arsenal and Everton to beat Watford.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:42 PM

The jury is still out on Shelvey the Burnley game will be a big test of his mentality as the likes of Hendrick and Brady will be all over him snapping at his heels for the whole game he really needs to step up !

We need to get him further forward as well I hate watching him take it off our centre halfs near our 18 yard box to then pass it to Yedlin !!

• Jib

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Apparently the Staveleys owned Lightwater Valley theme park
    and that’s where Amanda’s original dosh came from.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Another good performance from Abrahams yesterday and looming for an England call up for the two friendlies.

• LGFUAD21

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM

To add my thoughts on the national team from previous thread.

There is nothing wrong with the caliber of English managers or the playing talent. Sure we don’t have the same level as Spain or France.

The main problem is we’ve lost our identity as a national team. We were stuck in the stone age for so long. Then we started trying to play this possession based passing game like Spain but it’s not in our blood. Since we started to do this we have lost all urgency and tempo in our play.

I’d envision an England team playing much like the title winning Leicester team. Direct, aggressive and frantic. We might get mocked by the Italians and Spanish for playing like that but it would be our identity and would play to our strengths.

As a nation we have a fantastic striker in Kane and we’ve always had good no nonsense defenders. Let’s get them in the team instead of John Stones who I cannot stand. He can’t defend for toffee. Fine if you are city and dominating the ball, then you want a skilled defender that can do what a midfielder does. But when we’re playing the other big football nations and conceding chances we need warriors.

Players like Townsend would fit much better into this team than the sterlings. But overall I believe we would be more effective.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:03 PM

LGFUAD21
    I honestly don’t know how the richest league and FA have consistently failed to be a force in world football.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:10 PM

I think they missed a trick by not appointing Clough as manager. The FA unfortunately is an old boys institute and I can’t see them changing, they have their own interests at heart.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM

It’s our National sport, we have a huge population for a small island, we have the most popular league and richest FA, it is gross mismanagement that we can’t even be as successful as a country the size of Holland.

• Mag52

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM

If our national team played with the confidence, skill and conviction of the 17 year olds who tonked the best Spain could offer yesterday, we’d have a team to be proud of.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:20 PM

LGFUAD21
    You don’t think there’s anything wrong with the calibre of English managers? When Alan Pardew is touted as being the England boss simply because he’s English then that suggests to me serious problems.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Surely you have to have a couple of trophies to qualify as an England boss. Although Jib pointed out yesterday that Joachim Lowe hadn’t achieved much as a manager.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM

The mackems are in deep trouble. I think Ellis Shorts strategy is to take them in to administration.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM

“It was probably one of the most aggressive half-time talks I have had to give. We had to rile them up and go old school. It was almost like Wacko from Mike Bassett when he hit the wall!”
    Simon Grayson comparing his set up to Mike Basset. Oh dear 😮

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Something seriously wrong at Everton, definitely not too good to go down, what an ingloriuos end to Wayne Rooneys career if they do.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Think I’ll go for the record.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Was it thirteen?

• Mag52

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM

English managers aren’t the problem. Dyche, Clement, Howe (poor start to the season at Bournemouth, but they’ll be o.k.)
    No, it’s the fact that our good youngsters get little premiership experience because managers are obsessed with instant success, otherwise they’re out of the door in most cases, so they spend big money on proven foreign talent.
    The answer, put a limit on the number of players born outside the UK allowed to play for a team. 4 or 5 as a maximum would be a start.

• cyprus

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM

I’ve been critical at times of jonjo but excellent words here…

Leicester are doing a Leicester to Everton. They, Everton, look to be doing a Newcastle when we were relegated. Caught on the break, unlucky own goals, calls going against them. Morale is a big thing.

On this showing, Leicester won’t be in the bottom three at the end. But then, who will?

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Wayne Rooney is/Was a great footballer but never liked him as a person, scowling face, even during the national anthem.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Mag52,
    I’ve heard that argument before but we’ve been shite for years, it was only since the PL riches started in the early nineties that we’ve had a big foreign influx.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:46 PM

I don’t disagree with that though about the limit.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Joselu was worth giving a chance to – in view of the fact funds were limited – might have been one of these players that suddenly (with Rafas input) regained their youthful promise.
    He’s been given a shot and to all intents and purposes has failed. He can be safely put into the non scoring/cannot score centre forward list which includes Rondon, Jansen, Soldado, Gestede etc etc.
    Rafa clearly wanted an alternative to Mitro and Gayle.
    If he had more cash I don’t think we would have signed Josulu.
    So it is a matter of which one of the three he plays. Rafas’ stubborness might mean he continues with Joselu – but I think Mitro should get a return to the team.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Tuff,
    There was no need for him to be here, Abrahams was a player Rafa identified to suit our play and he’s about to be called up for England, who knows he might of liked it here and forced a move.

• cyprus

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Mag
    I have a feeling a couple of those coaches you mention will be in big trouble at the end of the season. Bournemouth, Swansea and another surprise team to be in real trouble.

Of course it’s all speculation. Many teams are about equal.

• cyprus

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Maybe I’m watching the surprise team now.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Jail – yes agreed – seems that Abrahams was Rafas first choice – viz him travelling to meet the lad etc etc.
    Then something happened – leaving us desperate to get a target man.

• Jib

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Jail
    The facts are
    thus
    Rafa gave up his wedding anniversary to go
    to St.George’s park to sell NUFC to TA.
    He thought he’d sold his vision to him
    He got a text 2 days later saying Abrahams
    had plumped for Swansea.

Nothing to do with money or the fact that
    our CEO is overweight , bald and wears glasses.

Tammy spat in Rafa’s eye and rafa was bloody livid

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Jib,
    “The Magpies’ reluctance to pay significant loan fees also scuppered a number of deals – it contributed to Tammy Abraham choosing Swansea City over Newcastle, for example – and limited the number of potential targets Newcastle could look to bring in.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM

Also Jib,
    In one of Rafas many interviews he diplomatically explained how the club had made mistakes over deals he had showed them how to save money, it was clearly over the Abrahams and Caberello deals. I’m sure you’ll be able to find it.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:21 PM

No need to keep discussing the Joselu transfer or whether money dictated the decision…

…Rafa got it wrong and probably should spend some of the money differently…

…money was an issue this summer for Rafa and he was dealt a poor hand from the club and they screwed a few targets which has clearly had an impact on Rafa’s options…

But he was done wonders regardless…lets hope Joselu will be dropped and someone else will be given a chance…isn’t that what it’s all about..,being given a chance?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM

Leicester is 2 up…it really was a weird Everton line-up

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM

How did he get in wrong Jesper, we were desperate for a winger, striker and decent RB and a No 10, we had a net spend almost 30M less than our two promotion rivals, how could Brighton and Huddersfield afford to spend 30M more than us despite having never ever been in the PL.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM

What shall we discuss Jesper?

• beermonkey

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM

hopefully the sale of the club will go through and all this can be put in the past

• Jib

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Jail

I did look it up

The Rafa interview where he commented
    on giving the club the benefit of his wisdom
    was completely unrelated to the Abraham
    and Willy Caballero deals.

As so often before in your blind hatred of the regime , to
    prove your point you add 2 + 2 and get 5.

Trust me , every time a deal falls through , it is not
    invariably the regime’s fault.

• Jib

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Jail for Ashley
    ” how could Brighton and Huddersfield afford to spend 30M more than us despite having never ever been in the PL.”

Jesus wept

Our wage bill was probably those 2 clubs added together and some more
    Why do think Rafa was binning players so urgently