Former Liverpool Managing Director – Highly Unlikely Newcastle Can Be Sold This Year

53-year-old former Liverpool Managing Director Christian Purslow has been talking about Newcastle’s potential takeover, and the British businessman has lots of experience in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) during his career.

Purslow has said he thinks it highly unlikely that Newcastle can be sold before the end of this year even though owner Mike Ashley seems to want to do just that.

Ashley has said he is even willing to accept staged payments to finally sell the club; he’s tried that twice before and failed to secure a buyer each time.

Purslow thinks the more likely scenario is that Newcastle will be sold closer to the end of the season.

That’s when the buyers will have a better idea where Newcastle are in the table, how they have performed in the Premier League in our first season back and what revenues they will receive from the PL in May.

It’s a long-ranging interview Christian has given to Sky Sports and is being reported in the Chronicle today.

Christian Purslow – former Liverpool Managing Director

Here’s some of the interview about the potential time-frame of the deal:

“It’s very risky for any business to go public but in this case, it’s clear Mike Ashley wants out. He wants out as soon as possible – he’s spent, by my calculations, about £250million buying the club, clearing it’s debts and so forth.”

“He has a chance now – there’s a limited window to recover that money, they’re flying high in the league, they’ve got a fantastic coach, the Premier League TV money is on the up.”

But he knows it’s a precarious position – they’ve been relegated twice and he doesn’t want to take a risk of that happening again, hence the very unusual measure of announcing a quick sale and also staged payments.”

“I’ve spent most of my life buying companies – clean, well-run, predictable companies.”

“Probably that takes six months to execute a sale. Football clubs are anything but – they’re complicated, where the club finishes in the league determines value.”

“People trying to buy a football club – it’s a lot easier to time that at the end of a season when you can see where a club sits, you can see what its financials actually look like.”

“Any buyer is going to need to get to the bottom of the tax investigation too. My feeling as an experienced mergers and acquisitions guy is that selling Newcastle in the next six weeks looks extraordinarily unlikely.”

“If I was a betting man, I’d think it will be sold by the end of the season – not by Christmas.”

It’s going to be interesting to see what funds Rafa Benitez is given in January if the club is not sold by then.

And maybe Rafa will try to do some loan deals at that time and even sell some players.

Jack Colback, Aleksandar Mitrovic, and others could be sold – to get some transfer money into the club so he can bring reinforcements in.

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:56 PM

Get off my corn flakes

• clinath@ed

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:02 PM

If any buyer waits until towards the end of the season to see if we’re guaranteed Prem football, then the price WILL go up.

• lesh

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Maybe this guy’d be right to advise Ashley and any potential buyers? He seems to know everything about anything!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Noooooooo 🙁

• lesh

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Non thread related but….

I’ve a windows 10 phone which I’ve used for some months and have just started to be plagued by iPhone test ads and today, a pop-up purportedly from Microsoft reporting my phone’s been hacked and personal information could be hacked. It’s not a Microsoft communication and clearly a phishing scam. The problem only appears on this Blog site – I think.

Anyone else being troubled by troublesome ads and phishing scams on this site and if so, what can be done?

I’m using Edge as the browser and it won’t accept Adblock.

Any ideas or similar experiences on this site?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Me as well lesh, Tsunki mentioned it as well. E mailed Ed about it but he blamed my phone.

• magscar

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Lesh
    Tsunki and some other(s) mentioned problems last week I recall. Can you not use Firefox or Chrome with W10 and use just for this site if happy with Edge otherwise? easy to get Adblockers for those browsers.

• magscar

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:27 PM

On ads I was getting temporary problem on my Android tablet a week or so ago on Blog but it has cleared up(?) without my doing anything. Perhaps Firefox and/or ad blocker automatically updated?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:40 PM

magscar,I
    I switched to Firefox and got the same. Used an ad block browser and also no good. I’ve tried it through an ad blocking browser as well.

• magscar

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:44 PM

Jail

Are you usng an iphone?

I did have problems on tablet as i said but they cleared up?

On my W7 pc running ublock no probkems. Weird

• Jib

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Referring to Mr Purslow’s comments above
    I’ve done a quick check and cannot find one
    footy club that has changed ownership in the Winter.
    Always seems to be at seasons end or the very
    start of a new season.
    There are 2 possible scenarios here
    1. Ashley wants to be an innovator and break with
    normal practise.
    2. Ashley is a bullshitter and just concocted the whole
    malarkey to shut the fans up

• Jib

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:00 PM

and Rafa

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM

He’s right about this being the best time to sell.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM

magscar,
    No I’m an android person.

• hibbit

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:23 PM

just because Mr Purslow says it’s never happened before doesn’t mean it wont !!!

it depends how much the two parties want the sale,
    Ashleys knows this is his window of opportunity to get out on a high he wont miss it

100% guaranteed new owner before January

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:35 PM

One reason Ashley needs to sell and sell quickly is that his greatest asset is Benitez and is worried that if Rafa leaves in the summer or the club struggles at the bottom of the league then the price of the club will drop considerably.

Whisper I heard is that there is no takers and no offers have been made at the price Ashley wants or near his asking price

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:57 PM

We really do need to invest in January we need a better quality striker than we have at the moment even if we need to pay a loan fee and high wages for someone not playing at the bigger teams it needs to happen from January 1st we need one through the door straight away!!

Someone mentioned trying Gayle out wide I think we should defo try something new as he is a good finisher and there is certainly more space for him to sneak in at the back post!

Bournemouth will be a totally different game they are actually quite open as a team which will probably suit us

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:03 PM

We need players who can cross the ball, nearly every cross into the box was more like a pass to their GK and easy meat for him.

And we need an AC who can actually cause a threat from balls crossed in.

AC and Townsend will probably be top of Rafa’s wish list.

I wasn’t even sure that Joselu was playing for most of the game, we might as well have had Hayden on to bolster the midfield from the off.

The main Burnley tactic was high balls into the box for most of the game and in the main Elliot dealt with them fairly easily.

Without seeing the match stats I suspect we had more shots on target than them.

I reckon the result could have been worse if Woods had been playing, he’d have been all over our defense.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:08 PM

I thought Diame put in a good shift but we do need better than him in that position, perhaps it’s time for some of the youngster to get onto the bench and I’m certain that Toney is a better option than Joselu.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM

oops, just seen the U23s result from last night, not good reading.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM

U23s team for last night.

Newcastle United Under-23s: Freddie Woodman, Jamie Sterry, Ben Kitchen, Dan Ward, Josef Yarney, Macaulay Gillesphey, Victor Fernandez, Dan Barlaser, Tom Heardman (Lewis McNall 70), Callum Roberts (Owen Bailey 60), Yasin Ben El-Mhanni (Callum Smith 46)

Subs not used: Nathan Harker, Mackenzie Heaney

6-0 to Villa. 🙁

• DaraghL

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM

I rarely if ever choose to insult a player but Diame was woeful and looked lazy. I’d rather have Shola playing centre mid.

He was the worst player on the pitch and should not ever be considered ahead of Hayden or the Tea Lady.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:16 PM

I’d have Shola in for Joselu at this moment and his brother. 🙂

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Purslow don’t know shite. Ashley’s going!

• lesh

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Jail, Magsar

Thanks for coming back. I must admit to be ignorant of what browsers and adbocks can and can’t be downloaded for Windows 10 mobiles. Not a lot it would seem and I guess I’ll have to live with what I’ve got for the immediate future and change to an Android phone. Windows mobiles have a lot going for them but…..

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Don’t have any issues on iPhone or iPads with ad blocker I use. It’s not the phones it’s the users at fault 😆

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM

I’m on a Sony Xperia and I’ve had issues for a couple of weeks, no issues on any other site.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Hibbit
    If your out there mate. You heard anything else with regards to this takeover. You heard any dates been bandied around at all????

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:28 PM

OP
    Always thought you had issues. Nice to see you’ve finally come to terms with it 😆

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:29 PM