A Worried Benitez Furious In Dressing Room After Bournemouth Defeat

There’s news in the Independent today that Rafa Benitez was furious after the 1-0 loss at home to Bournemouth and Rafa knew how important the game was.

We now have some tough games coming up and have just lost to both Burnley and Bournemouth – two games we could have won.

Benitez state of mind after the game will explain why he was so quiet and subdued during the BBC interview after the game when he didn’t want to say much at all.

Newcastle had what looked like a good goal by Dwight Gayle disallowed after 16 minutes and Dwight was at least level with the defender – which is onside these days – but linemen very rarely give it that way, preferring to disallow the goal.

Rafa Benitez – furious in dressing room after defeat

But some of these decisions are very difficult to give for the linemen when they are so close – if there’s a doubt they are supposed to give it to the attacking side but again – they rarely do that.

The crowd also was not happy with some of Rafa’s substitutes and they wanted to see Aleksandar Mitrovic brought on – but there was no such move by the manager.

And Newcastle  gave away another late goal – this time two minutes into added time – to lose 1-0 and it was Bournemouth who looked the team more capable of winning the game – and so it turned out

The dressing room on Saturday after the game was not a good place to be, with some players angry as well as Rafa – and certainly, it was a key loss and a shocking one at a bad time.

We cannot get away from that.

This is what Rafa has said as reported in The Independent:

“Yes, I was angry after the game, because you have to say what you think.”

“My main priority is to make sure that the players understand what we have to do in the future.”

“I wasn’t very happy with some of the things I was watching, that’s it.”  “We made mistakes and in the end we paid for that.”

“We gave the ball away easy without great pressing, and we were giving them chances to counter attack.”

“Yes, the players were angry.”

“They are not very happy obviously – that’s very common when you lose a game.”

“We knew it would be a long season and we would have good results and bad results. We will stay calm and try to do the right things.”

“I will not talk about the decisions of the officials because I am not very happy with the decisions.”

“I was worried from the first of September,”

“What I did was to work harder and that is what I will do now.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• toontaff2

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Bus!
    Charlie, their full back was 7 foot tall and was always right out on the touchline when their goalie had the ball. Did seem a bit obvious – maybe the instruction was to win the second ball, as clearly never going to win the first?

• toontaff2

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:12 AM

Runaway, lad, sounds like you had a good meltdoon 😆
    Was peed off, myself, leaving SJP and had a good drink! 😮

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Toontaff if it was obvious to me you and half the crowd then maybe could of put the likes of Joselu or Manquilla on him – at least to challenge – Yeah let him have the header and pick up the second ball – but it was all to easy to direct the header with the shortest player on the pitch challenging him.

Same for the corner Perez marking him ????

• Jib

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:28 AM

It’s gorn
    Fergit it
    Look forward not back
    Got to get Lascelles , Atsu , and Merino fit
    in the break , or we really are in the clarts.

• magscar

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Mulling things over I have come around to thought that Rafa was unhappy with how his 4 4 2 experiment was playing out as Bournemouth were getting on top in 2cnd half and wanted to revert to his standard 4 2 3 1. That being the case then if Joselu makes way it would be Perez to come on at that stage with possibility of Mitro for Gayle later? He doesn’t usually do desperate double subs especially whilst we are still in game.

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Toontaff2 its like you cant say out about rafa bro or your in deep shit on here well not me have a good day.

• magscar

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Jib

It’s a long break and nothing on takeover so nothing much to do but rake over the ashes I suppose 🙁

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Sing iam not saying i want him out iam just say iam as in me going off him i think its wrong the way hes treating some players all his way or nowt.

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM

There are more Benitez critics per square foot on this blog than anywhere else but tbf most of them criticise subs or team shape which is ok that’s an opinion but runaway was typical of those rabid screamers who fly right off the handle – just check out jibs train of reposts for all the laughable hysteria. At least the likes of munster, Cyprus and magscar tone down their inherent dislike to opportunist criticism but all this baying and name calling nonsense must look fantastic reading to those perusing folk at NUFC.

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Magscar @5 I tend to agree with you on that one I am almost inclined he leaned to the 442 partly out of deference to those calling for a more attacking home plan, but it doesn’t work with our personnel frankly.

• magscar

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Tsunki

Not sure if I am reading you right but do I have an inherent dislike of Rafa??? I think he is heading and has the potential to be our best ever manager. He is already coming alongside KK and SBR im my view in the circumstances he arrived here. Like Shankly changing Liverpool way back.

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM

If there is one criticism i can level and this applies to many managers/coaches – it’s the idea that 80+ minute substitutions are the way to turn a game. I get that it’s cat and mouse when your opposing number is watching your next sub so he can counter but really you need to be using a good twenty minutes of a fresh subs legs and the tactical change to take hold?

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Sorry magscar did name drop you there probably unfairly bunched in with the major Rafa critics 🙂

• jimmysmith

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:44 AM

I think after the break it’ll be Gayle up top, with Joselu doing the job Diame often did for us last term, linking play, joining the attack and offering a target, bringing others into play, flicking it on, looking to score himself. Joselu would appear the more natural option there rather than Diame, and we know that Gayle and Perez don’t gel. Otherwise it’s back to Mitro and Perez, which I like, but apparently Rafa doesn’t, or persisting with Perez and Joselu, which seems unlikely given their lack of goals, even though we don’t look a bad side when they are playing. If its Gayle and Diame v Utd, I’d say we are in deep, deep, doo doo.

• JohnJ

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Haway Lads & Lasses, of course we’re all disappointed the result was a kick in the teeth and watching the game again on MOTD it’s clear that Gale was not offside and the goal should have stood – what a difference that would have made! The officials on Saturday were rubbish no arguments about that. However Rafa is the main man and we are lucky to have him so let’s get behind him and the team. We have to trust Rafa to sort this out on the limited resources he was given by the owner! Just get the prayer mat out and hope we have new owners by the time January comes round!

• magscar

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Tsunki@10

Don’t think Rafa has it in him to bow to anyone other than his coaches-maybe saw it as time for a reshuffle of a well worn pack and a side where more attack from off could pay dividends. Nearly did but for linesman. As I said earlier small margins.

• posada

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Just following this Paradise Papers thing in general and how it relates to football in particular.
    I think it makes clear there are two worlds. The one we live in that is highly regulated and we pay tax. The other one rich folks live in where they are not regulated and don’t pay tax.
    It’s all rotten, but we like others hope for the mega rich owner to come in.
    With wealth from where. Countries where some folks have to work for nowt and have no rights.
    We turned our backs on that 100 years ago when all men ( women had to wait until 1929 ) got the right to vote. Or did we.

• magscar

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Tsunki@10

Whew !!!

I know I have a rep on here for many things but hoped Rafa disliker wasn’t one of them 🙂

Another thing I do share with Jail – Rafa is at the present time the only candidate to stabilise the club and take us forward on strong foundations. Others could manage parts of the equation but not all.

The other thing Jail and I share?- our like of NUFC.com an always sane unhysterical voice in the chaotic world of NUFC

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Tsunki i wonder what yous will call him if he walks away for a better offer i just wonder .

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Iam still waiting for jib jab and Tsunki to show where i want rafas head come guys your the clever one so show me or is it easy to hid behind computers.phones what ever. Ps WHERE I SAID I WANT RAFAS HEAD

• ascot7

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Newcastle will lose against Man-U, cannot win the easy games ? No prolific strike force. Referees or lineman getting it wrong or being bias. 4 narrow defeats, could turn into 4 wins, with strikers one goal can be cancelled out with two from the strikers. Bennet has to bring in Mitro, providing he is not nitro. Or is he bias also ? with his Spain nationals who are awful.

• ascot7

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Another point which Bennet should bring up in training, Do they the players love the Toon ???? and if they do, they have to stay of the turps and Women 24 hours before a game, that is very reasonable ?