Emerging Star Has Some Big Ambitions To Fulfill At Newcastle

Florian Lejeune looks a good acquisition for Newcastle for £8.5M from Spanish club Eibar last summer, and he’s back as first choice after losing his place to injury.

He was scythed down by Harry Kane in the first 45 minutes of the season and was out for some time with his ankle injury.

But the Frenchman has got back into the side, and although he’s made one or two mistakes – like giving away a penalty at Southampton he looks like he’s improving under Rafa and getting used to the Premier League,

And in his interview in the program for the Bournemouth game, he comes across as a very ambitious player who is very keen to improve his game on Tyneside.

That’s the profile of players Rafa wants in the side and before he signed for Newcastle Rafa asked Florian what his ambitions were in football.

Florian told the manager he wants to play for France, and if he can keep his starting place in the Newcastle side and keep improving his performances, he can do that.

Florian Lejeune – in action for Newcastle

Newcastle United is a very high profile club in France.

This is some of his interview in last Saturday’s program.

“The Premier League is physical for sure, but sometimes players do silly things too.”

“And I think it was a silly tackle by the player (Harry Kane). I didn’t understand it,”

“I never received any apology for the tackle. Regardless of the team or player, it is important to punish such tackles.”

“I think that, on the whole, I have been solid in games. After two months off I am relatively happy.”

“Against Southampton, I was good despite giving away a penalty. I made a mistake due to a lack of rhythm and fitness, and being slightly off the pace.”

“And of course, I wanted to defend well, and perhaps tried a little too hard which made me make this mistake.”

“But against Palace, I think I was better. I felt better on the pitch and was physically better too.”

“So for the time being, I am very happy, and will get better.”

“My progress is good, and I am here at a big club in Newcastle with a great manager.”

“Rafa also asked me what my ambitions were and posed the same question.” “I told him I’d love to play for France.”

“And so if I want to do that, I need to do better things in training and in games – I need to do well for my club.”

“But for me, at present, the most important thing is to start for Newcastle and to put in good performances for the team.”

“I’m always learning and will certainly continue to do so,” “Now I can say I am playing at a level where I can be very proud.”

“And if I really want to kick on and go further, I am in the very best place to do that.”

Florian has started five games for Newcastle so far this season.

If everything goes according to plan Rafa will be improving the squad a lot in the next two transfer windows, and he has said he wants to improve the team in every single position.

That sounds good to us.

What do you think?

• lochinvar

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Pardew confirmed as West Ham Manager.
    Wonder how many players will hand in transfer requests. Can see Andy Carrol thinking…..mmmm time to move on
    Real West Ham fans must be cringing in the draughty corridors of their borrowed athletics track.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Jib
    Sometimes it looks like we have 8 outfield players !!!!!!

• lochinvar

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Moyes

Bloody spell checker

• beermonkey

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM

loch

u owe me a new keyboard as i spat my drink over this one when i read pardew

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate your spot on mate but rafa should have had a plan B to counter attack which iam sorry to say he did not with them subs.

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Jib anyway still waiting for you to show me where i said i want rafas head your starting to look like a rite dick your normally quick to cope and past but 3 days and still nowt.

• martoon

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM

RUNAWAY777 @5 – I am loath to criticise Rafa but I have to agree the substitutions did nothing to counter their threat, in fact I would say they weakened us. As others have mentioned I don’t understand why Atsu and then Perez was marking their goal scorer on corners – he was 6 foot plus and it was a mismatch that ended in calamity.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM

A local dj who works in Turkey won’t be too hard to find
    Watch who you call a dick – little boy
    Stick to playing ” the birdy song” and ” hi ho silver linings”
    at weddings
    or I’ll come and scratch your records with your face.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM

know what I mean good bro ?

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:28 AM

You’ll get the biggest shock anyway arnt you out the country you say you inproved your life like ed ?????

• lochinvar

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Beermonkey
    You know you needed an upgrade for Xmas so glad to have assisted with that. Hope it’s well wrapped.
    At least the journos can’t continue with their West Ham want Rafa campaign. Perhaps now they can concentrate on Allardyce going back to Sunderland.

• beermonkey

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM

loch

fat sam to everton isnt it

• SPRINGY

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Morning all
    I think losing lascelles was significant in us losing the late goal,he had gotten to most things crossed into the box while on the pitch and looked like clark and whoever the other newcastle was,i believe it was perez were just out jumped and out muscled, basically that player wanted it more,the thing that got my back up more was the passing and strength of most of our players on the ball was terrible and weak,joselu had a stinker but bringing perez on is not goin to help keep the ball which meant we were under more pressure….to me says a lot about how rafa feels about mitro…. wasn’t a good game by to many of our players and whatever is goin on with rafa and mitro could do with being sorted,coz sometimes u will have games like that and u just have to dig in and old school it,…by that i mean a big striker up front,wingers who can cross and just get as many crosses in as possible,im nee manager and im not shoutin for rafas head,thats ludicrous…just think if we have players like mitro we should be using them….or pick someone else.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Sammy Ameobi has picked up a nomination for
    the PFA Championship player of the month

• Mindshaft

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM

@lochinvar – you mean Moyes right? or maybe they report things differently in Scotland

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Jib dont you thearten me thats one thing iam not worried about prove your point put it up where i said i want rafas head or shut pthe f@@k up

• beermonkey

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM

jib

u will end up on the naughty step again

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:39 AM

I think Everton might stick with David Unsworth
    and draft in Phil Neville to assist him.

• Mag52

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Lochinvar.

Are you seriously saying that you typed in Moyes and it came out as Pardew ?

• jayphoto

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Actually feel for West Ham fans, they get a similar rap Newcastle fans do to be fair, was listening to Talksport last night and they were claiming West Ham fans thought they could get ancelotti and were deluded..when to be fair to them the majority actually backed bilic and had issue with their board, didn’t see any myself that thought they could get Ancelotti.. Moyes a very odd appointment and theres no reason why West Ham couldn’t have gone out and got a much more up and coming manager

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Thing is beermonkey
    Rafa said he stayed because of the fans
    You and me
    Last thing we need is a moron like runway
    getting pissed up on matchday and slagging
    him off non stop for 90 minutes

• Mag52

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:47 AM

For me Rafa should give Gayle another run out up front, probably sitting in behind Joselu/Mitro.
    He needs games to get match fit, and he can feed off scraps whichever division he is playing in.

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:47 AM

beermonkey jib just has to show me where i said i want rafas head i ve called rafa i said iam finnish with jim for not playing players on merit but never asked for his head its that easy.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Jay
    West Ham actually approached Pellegrini and
    others but none wanted to break their current contracts
    Moyes was the best of a bunch who were currently unemployed
    Very wise to give him just 6 months
    Who knows what the situation will be with us in June
    for example

• Mag52

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Would love it if West Ham and their impressive stadium together with ‘harsh but fair’ Karen Brady all ended up in the championship.

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM

I hope we can pull clear of the bottom of the table
    by January
    It looks like it’s going to be a particularly nerve shredding
    climax to seasons end next Spring

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM

By the way jib ive never used records for 10 years pmsl get with the time

• jayphoto

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM

@Springy – I got pelters for saying this last year but Clark often loses his man at set pieces, it happened loads last year but we never seemed to get punished by it, Lascelles going off was a big change in organisation and aerial presence.
    I think its important for a lot of fans to realise where we are in terms of team…we’ve overachieved upto now, but we massively under invested in the summer and essentially we have the same side mostly we had in the championship. If you take a moneyball approach to it we don’t have enough players that will consistently hit 8’s, 9’s and 10 out of 10 throughout a season, we’re devoid of a number 10, devoid of a striker capable of scoring 10 a season in the premier league and our only left back hasn’t been fit. Add that to a goalkeeper who can’t play the way benitez wants a keeper to play, I think we’re 4 sizeable signings away from being a good side but those 4 players would need to be higher than the standard we currently have. Also the type of player we have prevents certain systems… the lack of a decent number 10 is making 4-2-3-1 difficult as the striker disconnects with no decent link.. merino, hayden and shelvey would suit a 4-3-3 but Ritchie (our most consistent player) doesn’t have the pace to play this system. Similarly a 3at the back Chelsea system would fail due to lack of left wing back..

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM

And i wonder how many other people where thinking the same as me on sat at the match i was told to always be honest are you.

• jayphoto

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM

@Jib – yeah pellegrini and mancini… odd choices, I like Pellegrini but hes one of the highest paid managers in world football and Mancini (also ridiculously high paid) is apparently a nightmare..
    I feel they could have attracted a tuchel, a Galtier, a Favre, a Ranieri etc Fair play to Leicester, they hired based on interview as Puel despite not being a thought when shakespeare left had both the best knowledge of the squad and how the available players would fit in with what he wanted to do.. Doesn’t feel like West Ham have bought in a manager with the same thoughts in mind..
    With big un and little un Carroll and Hernandez, if they were thinking short term 6 months they’d have been better off getting Redknapp in… would have at least got the fans on board, he understands the club and they have the personnel to fit his style.. Moyes success at everton was based around a tight back 4 that took him 3 seasons to get right, he’s not going to find a tight defence to build on at west ham but he is going to thought fairly talented attacking players, not sure hes a manager that will know how to make that work

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM

On a totally different subject Jay
    Do you see Florian Thauvin is
    knocking doors out of windows at Marseilles ?
    15 goals 10 assists

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:25 AM

last season
    and this season a 1 in 2 goalscorer

• jayphoto

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:29 AM

@Jib Think we all knew that was going to happen with Florian…unbelievable the club didn’t insist on a sell on clause, I said at the time he’ll go on to be worth 25m+.. On the Brightside I don’t think we’d ever see that player at Newcastle, Thauvin needs to be happy to play and he’d never be happy in Newcastle when he didn’t really want the move in the first place.. I’ve no doubt he’ll go on to play in Serie A or La Liga for a big club and be a big player .
    Lot of talk in france that Ben Arfa might move to Leicester in January…I fully supported shifting him, awful attitude, could fall out with a mirror etc but you absolutely know if that move happens that he’s going to rip us a new one when we play them and this blog will explode…its written in the stars

• Jib

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Jay
    If Hatem gets a new contract at Leicester
    he will be a very lucky lad , he’s 31 in
    4 months.

• AncientC

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:49 AM

Why would Ben Arfa be lucky to get a contract at 31. Defoe got a 3 year contract at Bournemouth at the ripe old age of 34. Ben Arfa may not be able to hold down a starting place at PSG, but we are talking about one of the top 5 squads in World football—with regards to PSG. The fact he is even at PSG to begin with tells you something.

• AncientC

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Maybe when Adam Armstrong gets back in the summer, Benitez (still at the club fingers crossed) may experiment with Merino just in behind Armstrong. Both Merino and Armstrong like the ball quick into their feet, it could be worth looking at them both playing together, seeing how they link up.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM

“In the end, we lost. But you have to say they were working hard.”

Is that going to be he legacy here as a coach!

I believe whoever Rafa have picked this season the line has been the same – “…you have to say they were working hard.”

• jayphoto

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM

@jib – Big mates with Puel though who got the best out of him at Nice, to be fair he hasn’t played that much football in his career, could easily with his talent be a big player for a couple years and he suits Puels system which with Vardy’s work rate added to the legs and Defensive minds of N’Didi and iborra and probably allows for 1 player to be carried defensively if they offer enough attacking threat.
    Id bet Puel will be welcoming back Nampalys Mendy when he gets first chance too, the premier league definitely hasn’t seen the best of him yet. Said earlier, il say it again, Leicesters owners have impressed me by hiring a manager based on how they’ll use the players available rather than vote for massive upheaval. Leicester are almost player to play in style a replica of the lyon and nice teams he did well with.
    Always find it odd, with so much money in EPL that more owners don’t look at the best attributes in the playing squad and bring in managers that have plans to utilise the strengths and positives already there

• Hail Wor Ashley

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Said when West Ham appointed Bilic that he’s done nothing at club level in the game and was mildly successful at international level.

Another I remember some on here grasping for at times, along with De Boer, Koeman, even Patrick Vieira!

Saying that, Moyes is such an uninspiring appointment for them and they could well go down.

Palace, West Ham and Swansea to go down! Though I wouldn’t mind seeing West Brom and Pulis in the mix too, dour club and another dinosaur manager that needs to finally be rumbled and go on the endangered list.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM

If Palace, West Ham and Swansea were to go down! Wouldn’t we all just be all smiles?