Rafa Wants To Level Set Fans – Reveals Real Target For This Season

A number of fans were shocked by our second successive defeat on Saturday against a team that was lower in the league than we were.

We lost 1-0 at Burnley a week last Monday with a late goal conceded.

And then we lost 1-0 at home to Bournemouth last weekend with a goal conceded in the 92nd minute. so things were not good going into the International break.

It was frustrating, to say the least.

And Rafa was not too happy with the Newcastle players in the second half on Saturday or even the officials during the game who disallowed a perfectly good Newcastle goal from Dwight Gayle after 16 minutes.

Since then Rafa has taken the opportunity to calm down the Newcastle fans and at the Foundation Annual Dinner on Tuesday night he asked fans to stick together.

Rafa Benitez – fans must stick together

The manager has taken the opportunity to send out what the message and the goal is for this first season back in the Premier League – in case we had forgotten.

This is what Rafa said:

“My message very simple, especially after losing,” “My message has to be clearer and stronger: just stick together. It’s very simple and very clear.”

“We were relegated two years ago, then we were promoted, which was a massive achievement to do that first time.”

“Now we must realize the target is to stay in the Premier League, be sure that we are strong enough to do that.”

“These young players … some of them will grow and improve because they have new experiences in them, and after that, we will be stronger.”

“The only way is to stick together. I can see some of the fans after losing the other day were asking me ‘you have lost two games in a row’.”

“Yes, but we’re a new club in the Premier League.”

“It’s true that we could win these games or draw, but we lost. Against Crystal Palace, we win with a late goal when we could have drawn.”

“We have had games that we deserved to win – like the other day against Bournemouth – but we lost it.”

“If it’s one or two bad results or even three or four, it doesn’t matter, it’s a long season.”

“We know the target is to stay in the Premier League, and then if you’re doing well, start thinking ‘can you go higher?”

“Can you go higher than last time?’.”

Some of us were getting just a little carried away because we were doing so well after we had beaten Crystal Palace with that late goal from Mikel Merino.

But as Rafa says we have to consolidate in the Premier League this season and hopefully with new owners in charge soon – Rafa will get the help he needs to bring in some top players this summer.

We have to be more patient.

That’s the bottom line – but it’s sometimes very difficult.

🙂

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Beardsley was one of the greatest players to ever pull on the shirt one of my all time greats
    but an absolute abysmal coach will be one of the first out the door once Ashley’s gone
    one of Ashley’s little favorites one of the untouchables !!!!!!!!!!

• expatmag

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Hibbit

Re the customs tax investigation. Time will whether buyers are influenced but I am fairly sure they will be doing their own investigations and that will be time consuming.

Rotunda

Just being realistic mate

• Jib

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Some mis-apprehension here.
    Peter Beardsley is the reserve team MANAGER.
    All players whether Academy , U23’s or Seniors
    get coaching from a whole range of coaches at
    the club.
    The vilification he gets from certain quarters is
    pretty much unjustified.

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM

any other club Beardsley would have been gone long ago

• Jib

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Hibbit
    Stick to your nudge nudge wink wink ITK smug persona
    You clearly know nowt about coaching at NUFC

Development Coach Ben Dawson
    Academy manager Joe Joyce
    Academy recruitment Steve Nickson

are the guys you should direct your venom at.

• AncientC

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM

From earlier, even if the club did come into some Man City type funds, there are still certain players I would like to see kept. Lascelles certainly and possibly Lejeune. Good CBs are difficult to come by, look at Man City and Liverpool with defenders, even Chelsea need a good CB. Man Utd have never really had a settled CB pairing in what seems a long time. I would hold onto Shelvey, Merino, and Ritchie too. Ritchie is the best RW I have ever seen play for Newcastle, that is going back to the 90s, with Shelvey easily one of the best passers of the ball. A little contentious, but I would get rid of everything upfront and at number 10 aside from Mitrovic. Mitrovic kept for another year or two but obviously not as a first choice… purely based on developing his potential. That in my view totals 6 players of real quality (or potential) in the current side, capable of making a squad with much higher ambitions.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM

jib

sadly the stats don’t stack up for pedro’s coaching, much as he is my fvourite all time nufc player.
    same goes for watson. bit of a jobs for the boys.

expat

you’ve got the sun all year, let us enjoy this possible life changing event.

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM

NO venom here just pure facts
    great player very poor coach

• Ben Afri

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Am I alone in not buying into the dramatisation that our last defeat was a shock? The shock was holding onto the higher positions we’ve found ourselves in, including being 6th at one point and again within touching distance of 6th before our loss. We’re doing well considering the lack of funding we’ve had, another point that keeps coming up in every second post. Tired of hearing about the failures of the last transfer window too!

• Tsunki

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Well it would be interesting if somebody could be addressed regarding the poor performance of the development setup. If it’s not Beardsley or Joyce or the late Shah of Persia then who? The facts are the development squads dont seem to produce too many gems and even those that do progress fleetingly to first team often find that dropping back into the under23’s is like doldrums where they get stuck in a whirlpool of mediocrity. It appears to be more a question of motivation and drive than tactics or skill being lacking. Is it because the whole setup is demoralising?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Ben Afri,
    I thought it was a shock, we had a full house, Bournemouth have been poor so far and it’s a game we expected to win. We started well and it looked like a formality. Mitro should have come on but he didn’t. On to Old Trafford.

• expatmag

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Rotunda/Hibbit

Dont get me wrong. I am as hopeful as the next man that we will be rid of Ashley by the turn of the year but 10 years of hopes being raised only to be consistently disappointed by him and his dodgy crew and dealings therefore I will believe it all when it happens.

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM

expatmag

the big difference this time it’s Ashley doing the pushing

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Not sure what happened with the U’s. They came on leaps and bounds after Rafas arrival so don’t know what’s happened this season.

• geordiesteve520

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Jib, I have been friends with Ben Dawson for year and he (and Neil Winskill) are two of the most widely-respected development coaches in the country – often leading FA initivative and panels at St George’s Park. If the 1st team went on a run of games like the U23s have, we’d be calling for Rafa’s head because the buck stops with him. Beardo (as much as I love him), has to go, the buck stops with him, he’s the head honcho at that level and his record and style are abysmal.

• geordiesteve520

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM

*years

• expatmag

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Hibbit

Yes. I know and I dont believe much of what he or his cronnies say. Hopefully he will sell for a reasonable price and not the exhorbitant amoubt he seems to want.

• Jib

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM

geordiesteve520
    Let me guess
    You have a son who is a canny footballer
    but Beardo told him he wouldn’t make it

• martoon

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Ben Afri @9 – I think you are completely wrong I agree with Jail it was a shock because we should have and could have won this game. These are the games we would expect to pick up points from if we are going to survive – if not Bournemouth at home then who?

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Jib
    you always revert to type with cheap shot remarks
    just can’t help ya self can you !!!

• Jib

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Hibbit
    One man’s cheap shot is another man’s
    hard to take truth

• expatmag

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM

JIB

Cut it out, you clown. I hear Bobbybee has a spare room with your name on it in his house in Richmond.

• Geordie-john

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Oh dear me, It’s Beardo’s turn now. You know if I had as many people looking over my shoulder when I’m working repeat ably telling me I wasn’t good enough I suppose I’d feel like s##t. Naturally !
    They are all good in their own way otherwise they wouldn’t be there, Would They ? Too many secret SMB’s on here again. ” GET A LIFE MAN ” If you’re not happy which you obviously not, then go and support someone else. We have one of the best managers in the world and everything is starting to fall into place and once Mr Cashley has gone we can only go from strength to strength.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Anybody who doesn’t think that the summer’s business doesn’t reflect on our season is way off the mark. We could quite easily be three to six points better off with a decent striker. I bet it make Rafa sick to the stomach watching Swansea.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Geordie John,
    I think you have to separate the legend from the coach.

• Geordie-john

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM

JFA,
    Beardo is no longer a player. Anyone with half a ounce of sense knows that, Including me. He has a very good football brain and sometimes its the players that can’t understand what they are being taut. Just like apprentices in any walk of life of job. Some get it straight away and some just don’t and it doesn’t matter how many times you tell or show them.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM

expat @22.
    Woah – Whilst Jib at times needs rebuking/censoring/thrashing the punishment you suggest is clearly out of proportion with his blog “crimes”. Really harsh.

martoon seems to suggest – I think on a couple of occasions that he has sneaked back on the blog as Christopher Asprilla. A suggestion which has not so far been denied.

• Ben Afri

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Jail and Martoon

I do get your point, and I fully agree that those are the games we should be winning to stay in the Premier League at the very least. I honestly did not get why Mitro wasn’t brought on and it thoroughly pissed me off. It was a piss poor performance. But what I mean is that occasionally we will lose these games we absolutely have to win. But I do think we’ll continue to be a team that is hard to beat. That is my only point, not that its “okay” to lose against teams we’re in direct competition with.

• magic hat

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM

I think the youth setup over the years has been disappointing, think how many top Geordie players didn’t come through our club…eg shearer and Carrick and to think Everton poached one of our youngsters not long ago. Somethings not going quite right. I don’t think anyone who’s not in the know can point the finger. It could just be the budgets not there or the youths coming through just aren’t good enough.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM

I thought Christopher Asprilla was Bobbybee?!

• martoon

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Tuff just a theory from the writing style – I have no proof.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Lindisfarne/martoon – not sure myself at all. Long posts ——-mmmm — possibly.

• Jib

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Mr Tuff
    Sneaked back on ?
    It’s a public blog you prat !

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Jiblets,
    I’m not anywhere near as rude to people as you are but seem to get in to just as many scraps?

• ShirebrookToon

Shirebrook,
    Who’s who 😮

• hibbit

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM

Geordie-john @26

sorry mate don’t agree
    no doubt he was a great play one of the best to pull on our shirt a brilliant football brain he defiantly has/had but that doesn’t make him a great coach just look at his record as a coach abject failure
    i’m not some kid slagging some one off for the sake of it
    its my opinion that he’s not up to the job in hand and at any over club would have been moved on long ago

just one other thing i recent anyone telling me to go and watch another club i’v had a season ticket for over 50 years and i feel that gives me the right to express my opinions as i honestly see it

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM

Was just gonna say the same thing 😎

• Jib