Legend Speaks Out About The Takeover And “Great Manager” At Newcastle

Bob Moncur has been interviewed in the Shields Gazette and like any fan of the club hopes that owner Mike Ashley follows through with his intention (it wasn’t exactly a promise) to sell Newcastle by the end of the year.

Things are quiet at the moment as the groups are busy doing the critical due diligence stage where they take a deep dive into the financial records of the club – amongst other things.

The would-be buyers have been involved in that for quite a few weeks so if there’s an offer made for the club that’s the next news that will come through.

The best thing is there is a report of an agreement in principle by some group to buy the club.

That means at least at a high level there has been an agreement between the two parties.

Bob Moncur with Mike Ashley – persuading owner to sell the club quickly?

Here’s some of what Bob Moncur has said in the Shields Gazette:

“Mike’s said ‘I can’t afford to take it any further’ – he’s quite happy to hand it on to somebody else who can.”

“If there’s a takeover, hopefully, there’ll be more investment, which will make Rafa’s job a bit easier.”

“If you’d said to me at this stage of the season that we’d be 11th, I’d have said ‘I’ll snap your hand off’.”

“Rafa’s done a great job with the squad he’s got – he’s a great manager.”

“I think the whole city and the club has been buoyed up by Rafa.”

“We’ve got the best manager in the land as far as I’m concerned and he’s doing a great job with what he’s got.”

Bob Moncur was speaking at the launch of the Tesco Bank Junior Players initiative.

It’s a community sports program and the Shields Gazette report that 18,500 primary school pupils took part in sports sessions led by the Newcastle United Foundation, the Foundation of Light and Newcastle Eagles Community Foundation.

That’s terrific and good that Bob Moncur is fully involved.

Back to the potential takeover – it’s coming to a crucial stage and after due diligence is completed would-be buyers have to decide if they want to buy Newcastle and how much they will bid for the club.

But if Mike Ashley keeps to his £400M selling price it looks like at least the Amanda Staveley led group will not pay that amount for Newcastle.

But we’ll have to wait and see what happens and hope Ashley sells the club – and very soon too.

Here’s hoping Mike will finally be leaving Newcastle United.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM

I will be wearing my Poppy and my Veterans badge with pride today.

We will remember them!

Lest we forget!

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Toontaff2

“JIB, have you mentioned rugby
    ?

smileypooBlogkillersemoji”

Absolutely hilarious. I can barely breath. How about another deranged Abbot/Corbyn meme to add to the hysterics.

So fun.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:04 AM

ShirebrookToon – nice one

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:09 AM

I can predict Mitro being sold, getting more games and being injured for the World Cup. We would probably get more money for him after the tournament but it may be fairer on the player to let him go.

• martoon

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:09 AM

I was out last night and flicking through the comments there was a few battles going on. Just a suggestion but bearing in mind what weekend it is maybe we should all try and be respectful and get along – come Monday back to blog fights 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Joselu is certainly proving to be exactly what we bought him at, a £5M player. Its a bit early to call him deadwood but so far he has not shown any great spark, struggling to even be in the frame for chances. It maybe the style of play needs a slight adaption to his style, but if that is the case why did Rafa take the gamble when we already have Gayle and Mitro? Both have also struggled, Gayle only in certain matches, but Rafas system of play has always been maintained.

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Fair play ShirebrookToon – I’m trying to get my kit sorted for Sunday’s parade. Spent all week on my shoes but it gave me an excuse to be left alone with the England game last night. Actually enjoyed watching England for once and thought we had something to build on – the undropables will prob ruin it when they return lol

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:21 AM

On Mitro – really hope to see him each game just to try something different but really think Rafa has played his hand and it does not include the crazy King. Shame, think he had potential to come good.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Chilwell,
    Aye get the brasso out now mate. That’s one thing I don’t miss. Bulling boots and shining brass. Not forgetting the shoe whitener for ya belt 🙄

• c-dog

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM

One thing about Joselu I’ve noticed which he could improve with ease if he wanted to is his lack of willingness to get across the front of his man in the box. All good strikers need to do that. Surely may add one or two more goals. And easily achieved.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Malcolm Macdonald “I think he (Mitrovic) plays the crowd better than he plays football with all the raised fists and trying to gee up the crowd.”

Below the belt.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Chilwell Delight

Missed last nights match and the the highlights seem to show that we did not get much controlled possession in their penalty area, or even close and relied on a lot of crosses. Fair assessment?

• Jib

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Rafa doesn’t seem to favour coaching forwards
    He prefers to buy them in ready made
    Probably favours the view that coaching represses
    the predator instinct.
    Still think Joselu could do with a few hours with Shearer
    He has the predator instinct he just need to calm down
    and get that Shearer cold eyed killer thing

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Jib, I am not sure you can train into a player what Shearer had, not at 27 years old… it’s more nature than nurture.

• c-dog

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM

True. And he’s clearly a master of setting up a team which is hard to break down. But there’s offensive coaches their. I’m sure they’re trying. And I’m speculating that he’s not grasping what want. It’s frusr.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM

SUPERMAC ON THE STRIKER OPTIONS:

Dwight Gayle: I like Gayle and think that if he’s fit and playing with confidence, he is a good player. You can see he has that striker’s instinct.

Aleksandar Mitrovic: To be honest, I regret the day Newcastle bought him. If you had £13million and gave it to Rafa Benitez, he would buy a much better, more complete forward. He should be using his strength to win the ball rather than attempting to dominate a defender.

Ayoze Perez: He works ever so hard and I have sympathy for him. He’s in a battle for his career but he’s not helped by what is around him.

Joselu: I’m afraid I just don’t believe that he’s going to be the answer for Newcastle. I think Mark Hughes was right about him: he will not do it for Newcastle and isn’t good enough for the Premier League.

• c-dog

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Like of shearer was pure instinct. Not asking for 30 goals from Joselu. But can’t see him reaching 10. Simple improvements even at 27 can be made.

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Shire – it’s like starting again these days, new uniform and shoes instead of boots. My beeswaxed boots are rotting away in the shed ?
    Will always put the effort in for Remembrance Day and not too many left in uniform unfortunately

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Gary Madine talking to Bolton News:

“Adam Armstrong is a brilliant player. He is a great finisher, and maybe not everyone has seen that yet, but we do see it every day in training. He hadn’t scored for a few games but he’s got off the mark now in the league, so I think he’ll push on from there. He doesn’t let it get him down and his finishing is amazing in training and up there with the best I have seen. He is doing a selfless task playing on the left wing when he is a centre forward. He is doing a great job for the team.”

• Jib

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Lindisfarne – I was expecting a bad game but ended up really enjoying it. We struggled to contain them but grew into the game. Made some good moves but the final ball or decision was wrong – young team though. Pickford and Loftus-Cheek impressed. Abraham could have been more composed but did some good stuff. Not a fan of Jones as I think he can be rash and question some of his decisions but that header off the line was class!
    We rode our luck at times and then looked good at others. Should have nicked it at the end

• bettyswallocks

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Natural instinctive goal scorers that can play consistently at the top level and consistently find the back of the net year in year out are very difficult to find and the demand far outweighs the supply.

Gayle is an instinctive finisher admittedly but he’s not up to it against PL defenders and Mitro could be a decent PL striker if he wasn’t so Gung Ho and unable to follow instructions.

Joselu doesn’t appear to be a natural finisher and appears to be trying too hard with little or no composure in front of goal. The true goalscorer always looks composed without dithering and losing the opportunity.

• jane

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:54 AM

“Below the belt.”

but true!

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Lindisfarne – to actually answer your question lol. Did struggle at times and possession in the area wasn’t great – Abraham too rash and lacking some quality i.e Vardy effort in first half and the last shot. Vardy header was good though. Relied on crosses but came close

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:05 AM

8th day where do i say i want rafas head yes bubble has bust on our run but where do i say i want his head you still cant show me as i did not say that sily man

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM

• Optimistic Panda

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM

I’m all ready for tomorrow, I’ll be at the parade and meet some old friends, it’s a ritual for us.

We call it remember and forget day, we Remember the friends we lost then share a few beers and forget all about it whilst telling stories and sharing a few laughs.

Raise a glass tommorow for all the people on either side who’ve lost their lives in the many conflicts this world has seen.

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM

There again better watch what i do as you says i play hi ho silver linning 60s i belive you must be a old fart you keep hidding behind you keyboard

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Runaway…trouble remembering mate? 😉

• Jib

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM

You get the distinct feeling the way that the
    local media is putting over it’s message.
    that
    we are being prepared for the sale of Mitro in the next window

• Lindisfarne

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM

I would like to see all of last nights debutants for England be in the World Cup squad.

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM

England have a good base to work from with some of the youth. Be really interesting to see who is in my sons sticker album for the World Cup team

Optimistic – enjoy remembering and forgetting. We will be having the curry lunch and several beers in the mess after the parade. Lest we forget

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew no disrespect to you but can you show me where i said i want rafas head them words please

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Runaway…no disrespect either and as I said just earlier I think you trouble remembering mate!

…are you sure you are not mistaken me for someone else?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM

*you have

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Tell you what jib your so far up you own arse iam supprised you can see owt still coming for me bring it on and by the way if your hopping for me to leave the site like others have you have bob hope and no hope

• Optimistic Panda

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Chillwell

Enjoy your day too.

• Chilwell Delight

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM

• lochinvar

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Shirebook and Chilwell
    Thoughtful words
    Many names remembered today would have enjoyed their football and one lost generation would have known the old East End and West End clubs that became Newcastle United. Many didn’t come home.

HWTL