Can Newcastle Get Something At Manchester United?

We are currently in 15th place in the form guide over the last six games in the Premier League.

In those games, we have only 5 points with one win and two draws, and we have lost three games, including our last two.

So having to go to Manchester United on Saturday for the late kick-off game doesn’t come at a good time for Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho – directing traffic in a previous encounter

But we have to get on with it and starting Saturday we have to play 11 games in the next 44 days through January 1st, so 33 points up for grabs.

We will do well to get anything out of the game at Old Trafford, but it’s not impossible.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM

I’d take a draw all day long. My five best results for Newcastle will have their sights lowered this weekend.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Jail…something has been brought to my attention so I’ll give you an advise.

If you don’t know what or to whom someone is talking then don’t interfere. If you believe you need to join in then ask for the information you need to be able to join in…

My response was to lesh’s comment last night about Rafa’s being a bit peed off at letting Murphy go but he probably did so fully expecting to sign a quality striker until Ashley intervened and blessed us with Joselu. And being sure Rafa wish he had Darryl M available for this season.

…and it was in response to all the talking Murphy is still generating on here and the fact money is/was an issue this summer.

The sale of Murphy was important, so was the money and so was the timing…in my opinion. I can’t see why this should generate should a shit storm or why lesh should lash out on me the way he did!

If we are all just speaking opinions that should never happen!

• bettyswallocks

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Jesper……. Congrats. for your team getting through last night. Hope you managed to see it. Eriksen was quality.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM

*should = such

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM

I’m not even going to include us in my five this weekend.

Bournemouth
    Man City
    Away
    West Brom
    Chelsea
    Away.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Eriksen was quality….but so was the rest of the team

• martoon

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Jail from previous – there was once a rumour that NUFC were interested in Beckham and the joke at the time was if he moved to the area the next kid could be called Deckham Beckham 😀

• hibbit

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM

the books are closed both parties completed due diligence yesterday
    we move on to the next step looks like shire is on the money with his dates

just keep the faith

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew
    Nov 15, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    *bring = being

The problem was we gave Murphy away for £2M and paid £4M for him…

Jesper,
    Why would I need to trawl back on previous posts to offer my opinion on that post.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Jesper,
    Is that assumption based on stats, highlights or real time viewing?

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:42 AM

It makes a difference when you also post something like this:

Jail for Ashley
    Nov 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    I still don’t get why, what or who Jesper was getting at concerning the sale of Murphy. In hindsight it may well have been better to keep him, what more can be said than that on the matter.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM

martoon,
    And then a Deckham in every class in the country.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Jesper,
    So who exactly are you blaming for letting Murphy go?

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Jail #10…you just can’t help yourself can you? Shouldn’t we stay on track here?

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Jail…again the comment was in response to lesh’s comment about Rafa wishing Murphy was still here instead of Joselu!

• Wayayman

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Makes me laugh when posters are too busy doing a ‘he said she said’ that they miss Hibbit’s very positive post. I don’t know if it’s true or how Hibbit knows this info but it’s something to hold on to and gives me hope.

If this comes off, I’m in the town on the lash for about a week.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM

thanks hibbitt, you’re keeping me going at the minute.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Yes Jesper I get that. I also wish Murphy was here in place of Joselu, I also know that we “gave Murphy away” for 2M after paying 4M for him. So what is your point, if it is only that we shouldn’t have gave him away I explained my reasons why I think we did which you condascendily replied so you’ve told us…..

• Jib

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Jesper
    is so far up his own posterior orifice that he
    probably missed that post entirely
    Hibbit if due diligence is finalised
    that is only the end of the beginning
    We now move into the beginning of the end
    More than 12 days surely
    (feeling very Churchillian this a.m.)

• beermonkey

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Hibbit

When the take over is complete
    Will u knowledge of in coming players
    Or will this be the of the line

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Jail you have told us your version of what happened this summer…countless of times!

We don’t know what really happened this summer and what was promised…and still Murphy was sold under priced early on in the window without a replacement being brought in!

The money from his sale would not have been the factor on us buying players….but £2M would have made a difference on whether we could have gotten a better player than Joselu!

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM

…and you keep having an opinion to what I say regardless of weather you know to whom or what I am talking about…speaking of being condescending!

• toonincheek

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:14 AM

I think it was Norwich that Murphy played for before.
    They didn’t want to sell so we had to offer maybe a
    bit more than we would have liked.
    He turned out to be good insurance against injuries
    and well worth the money.

On the other hand, we DID want to sell him when
    we got promoted.

That affects the price.

• jimmysmith

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM

I think two million allowed Murph to get a couple of years contract and a decent wedge. We likely couldn’t have ever gotten more, but of course in hindsight it might have been better for us had he stayed. He could contribute in this system, and would be a better finisher than Joselu you’d think, at least until January. We’ve got some tough games before the window, and Murphy wouldn’t have been a bad “character” to call upon.

• lesh

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Jesper

Come on bonny lad, lighten up a bit. My comments about Murphy’s sale were never intended as anything less than constructive. Lashing out at you? Never.

Take it easy eh

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Maybe that was the mistake all along…letting the world know you really just want rid of a player who’s actually in high stock!

…Murphy was always a easy sell after that promotional season! And was it really an issue to have waited till later on in the window to sell.

• lesh

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Jesper

It’s nice to be nice week so don’t spoil it.

😉

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM

lesh…I will gladly stand corrected on you lashing out on me! Mostly because I cannot see why you should have done so in the first place…

…my respond to your comment was just me sharing my take on it…I never said your weren’t trying to be constructive!

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Hibbit
    Both parties very happy and very serious aswell from what I’ve heard. Let the bidding commence.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM

…but it felt like you did! And Jib even responded to it as that was the case…

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:23 AM

lesh…I hope it will take more to spoil your week!

• Jib

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Shearer
    In Hong Kong today !
    Could this be linked to a take over ?

• jimmysmith

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Murphy’s stock wasn’t high though, at 33 and on good money. Good move for him, but he might have liked a last hurrah in the top flight, and had he stayed he could easily be starting and doing a job for us. I actually would rather start with Murphy away at Man U than anything we’ve got. He’d help to keep the defensive shape, batter their defenders and maybe even nick one. But really, the January window can’t come soon enough.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Jesper…… I was being sincere and genuinely complimentary about Eriksen. I don’t think you would have won without him mind. The other players looked fairly ordinary to me .

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Jimmy…I am not sure why you think Murphy’s stock wasn’t high? He would have been a great buy for any Championship club. He had a great season with us helping us getting promoted, his confidence was high and he was back in the fold at Ireland (actually been their best player against us)

I don’t have an issue with us selling him…it was always in the cards! It’s the price and the timing I take issue with!

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Betty….so am I! I thought the team was really great last night! Of course Eriksen is a world class player and we don’t have many of that (if any…)

• Veltman

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Jail – the trouble is some of us have Jib syndrome. And I wana apologize to him for the offense the other day.

• jimmysmith

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM

…..because he’s 33 and was on good money with us. Hard for a Championship club to match his wedge, give him a couple of years, and pay more than 2 million.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Jimmy…the age I don’t think is an issue. He could help a team with promotion…and I seem to recall some on the blog even putting a figure on each goal he scored for us!

…I don’t know what’s on in terms of wages, but a higher price and signing on fee could have a baring on that as well (meaning he would agree to lower wages)

• jimmysmith

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM

I think most felt that we’d be bringing in a top replacement, and so 2 million and his wages off the books was a good bit of business for all parties. Unless you think Rafa knew he didn’t have the money to adequately upgrade. Then you could say it was a bad deal for us. But it does look as if Rafa thought he had a bigger transfer kitty when the deal was agreed.