The Brutal Honesty Of Rafa Benitez – Here’s Another Interpretation

25-year-old former Newcastle winger Sammy Ameobi has given a long interview un the Sun, and he reflects on how he finally left his hometown club for Bolton Wanderers after spending six months on loan at the club the season before.

And Sammy is now playing regularly for The Trotters and is enjoying his football.

The writing was on the wall for a while at Newcastle that maybe Sammy didn’t have any future at the club  and he talks about how Rafa took him aside and told him exactly that.

This is some of what Sammy has told SunSport:

“At the start of last season (August 2016) Rafa said we’ve looked at you and you’re not in our plans.”

“You should find a new club or go on loan’. He sent me down to train with the reserve team.”

“He is brutally honest but it is it how it is. Different managers have their different ways and that’s his, and that’s absolutely fine.”

“I don’t have a problem with that and there are no hard feelings at all.”

“When I came on loan to Bolton, to get to play week in, week out was something I’d never had before.”

“It was a great honor to get called back because I love Newcastle and it’s my home. So to think I might get an opportunity there was great.”

“But then again, when I realised that I was down the pecking order, it got a bit uncomfortable because it wasn’t what I wanted to do.”

“I want to play every week. I realized then that it was time to move on.”

“I grew up in Newcastle and it’s my home. For as long as I remember, there has always been an Ameobi there. But times change.”

Yes, Rafa was very straight when he talked to Sammy about his future last year.

But there again it’s best to be that way rather than have the lad hang on when it’s obvious he doesn’t fit into the manager’s plans for the future.

In a way that’s being kind to the player – it’s telling it like it is and it’s for the benefit of the player too.

Sammy now plays regularly for Bolton and has 3 goals in 7 appearances this season, but Bolton are second bottom of the Championship and only Sunderland have a worse record.

So it’s vital for Bolton not to get relegated back to League One this season after only being promoted last May.

Hopefully, Sammy can help them do that.

Sammy Ameobi played 70 times for Newcastle with 4 goals and 8 assists.

He came through the Youth Academy like his older brother Shola, who is still playing in black and white stripes at Notts County in League Two.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• hibbit

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM

beermonkey

as far as i can gather it was a wealthy local asian family holding an engagement party !!!

• Veltman

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Hmm, it’s Chinese then.

• expatmag

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Hibbit

Yeah…..right……and I am the queen of sheba…..lol

• Ron Knee

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM

hibbit

Priceless!

• Laurent Robert 32

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Frank, cheers for sharing that info, as well as Hibbit and Sparky, previously.

It all bodes well to have him out by Christmas and hopefully Rafa will get some decent funds for players in January.

• lesh

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Hibbit

The party suggestion seems feasible – the thought if a corporate event had crossed my mind.

Frank et al

The idea of a Chinese consortium is questionable in that the Chinese government didn’t raise the limit on outward investment I understood that to mean that Chinese investors can’t buy more than 80% of a foreign business. I may be wrong of course

• hibbit

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM

expatmag

asian as in indians
    engagement as in wedding

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM

I hope Sammi finds a top Champo club or better still a PL club one day.
    It’s hard to believe that people used us not needing a winger as a stick to beat Rafa with when we were so short Sammi had to be brought back last January. Of course a winger was a priority as were about to find out tomorrow.

• kimbo

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Sammy free or £12million Murphy?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM

If Murphy plays tomorrow and isn’t very good the usual half a dozen posters will come out and slate Rafa for signing him. I will then point out he wanted Townsend for the same money. I’ll then get told to get over it. Ariston and on and on…..

• Frank pingles come sock

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Expat –

Yeah I didn’t spell Amanda Staveley correctly so the guy I know who works in the ground is telling me porky pies ??

What I passed on is what he told me.

He works in the ticket office and has for 10 years. I have asked him if he finds out anything substantial let me know.

So far he has just said what I relayed.

He is adamant it will happen and it’s on track.

100% 2 bidders

One Chinese / one Amanda Staveley group who they aren’t sure were totally committed from the start but now appear to be

Yes I heard all the stuff about Chinese government stuff so don’t understand the ins and outs of how it will work

• Rotonda heights

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Veltman

Your comment ” small eyed Chinese people” probably confirms what a lot of people think of you.

In other news I was just thinking an English literature teacher could get a job for life on here. The latest classic I saw was this gem ” it would set a president” !!!! Dear me and yes I am the grammar police.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Jail…you’ll also be told he wanted McCarthy at Everton for £25M and you’ll probably also be told that there were no way in h€ll Townsend was coming here when he had just left 6 months earlier because he wanted to play in the PL!