Alan Shearer Talks About Newcastle’s Tough Trip To Old Trafford

Newcastle icon Alan Shearer has been talking to Coral on how he thinks Rafa Benitez will be trying to win the game this afternoon at Old Trafford.

And it’s not going all out to attack the Red Devils.

That’s one of the weakest parts of our team at the moment, and we find it very difficult to score goals – only 10 goals in our 11 Premier League games so far this season.

We are currently in 11th place in the league on 11 points, and that’s after losing the last two games, so we hope it will not be three defeats in a row this afternoon.

We really hope it will not be three defeats in a row this afternoon.

If we can defend well, we’ll have a chance of at least a point.

Alan Shearer – Newcastle must be “compact”

This is how Alan thinks Rafa will have his Newcastle side try to play in order to get something out of this tough fixture:

“No, I don’t see Newcastle going to Old Trafford and trying to take on Man Utd by attacking them.”

“I see Newcastle going there, doing what Rafa has done reasonably well this season. He has been very organised, sitting tight, being compact.”

“Get everyone together and try to hit United on the break.” “I think that will be how they approach the game.”

“They have had two disappointing results have Newcastle, both 1-0 defeats, and been pretty disappointing.”

“They need a little bit more spark in front of goal, more energy into the performance.”

“They are sat just below mid-table in the Premier League.”

“And I’m pretty sure if you had said that to Rafa, to the players, and the Newcastle fans, that at this stage of the season would they be content with that?”

“I think the answer would definitely be yes.”

Whatever happens in today’s game we have a game at home to Watford next Saturday and that’s looking like a game we can win – if we can play well, and find a way to score some goals.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Ok hete goes, this is what I would not necessarily what I expect Rafa to do. Not sure Elliott is available?

Elliott
    Yedlin leguene clark manquillo
    Hayden
    Ritchie shelvey diame Perez
    Joselu

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM

If Rafa plays Gayle who seems the most likely goalscorer, then he will surely want one of his big men to take up one of the other 4 attacking positions. This means either 442 with either Jose or Mitro, 4321 with Diame, or Gayle going onto left wing and Jose or Mitro up top. I think he’ll go 4231 with Ritchie – Perez – Gayle in midfield – Joselu alone up front.

Looking at our possible team, I think our weakness against Man Utd will be our fullbacks, neither of who are great at defending. I would bring back Dummet if fit, failing that Mbemba should come in a LB.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM

To be fair the team pretty much picks itself
    The only differences of opinion being who
    to start and who to bring off the bench.
    I would keep the taller guys back because
    Mourinho (if he runs true to form ) will bring on
    Fellaini and Ibrahamovic as impact players.

• Vask

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Looking on the physioroom it’s nice to see we are a mere 14th in the table with only four injuries. It is however disheartening to see which four players are injured. All of which are regular starters and can be quite influential during a match. I think we have sorely missed dummet this season. Coupled with the captain missing and Clarks apparent dip in form as well as two of our most creative players missing it’s quite hard to see any points coming our way this afternoon. I hope mbemba plays at lb just to add a bit more solidity to the defence.

• hibbit

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM

would be a big ask from Dummett
    not a minutes football since august and starting him against man u first game back
    i think not

• Jib

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Hopefully Dummett comes on with 10 minutes to go and
    manfully helps the team to full time – to nick the game
    0 – 1

• Vask

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Dummet is not back til December 2nd according to the physioroom. He must only be doing light training. Perhaps if he had some u23 mins he’d be in contention but, Hibbit, you’re right – it would be a big ask.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM

I think he’ll play Perez on the left in place of Atsu and Joselu up front. This is a game where Rafa will insist on players following his instructions, those two he can rely on to do so where Mitro is too headstrong and stubborn to stick to the game plan.

• sparky55

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:16 AM

betty

think you’re spot on there mate

• Mister Tuff

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Just cannot see us getting a result today – more like a right tonking.
    Ian Wright suggests a 3 – 0 win for ManU with Lukaku getting back on form with a hat trick. Might not be that far off the mark. Imagine if Ibramovic comes on and scores – in either scenario the southern based press/Sky will have this as the lead story and we’ll probably be on first on MOTD.

Hope I.m wrong though.

• sparky55

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM

No doubt we’ll be humped today and no doubt we won’t score either…we’re just no at their level (not Man U’s fault…the fault of years of bad management at NUFC) and just about every sensible toon supporter had this down as a loss when the fixtures came out and all we can really wish for is we don’t get trounced.

So long as we get to 22 points after 19 games we’ll be fine, especially after a bit of investment in January once the fat controller has flown into the distance in his new helicopter with a £330 million cheque in his back pocket.

No tears from anyone in the north that’s for sure.

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM

I have been looking forward to Benitez going up against Mourinho since the club was guaranteed promotion. I cannot wait for this one.

Maybe ‘Frank Pringle’s Come Sock’ can tell us what the score will be, you know, considering that his scrying bowl tells him the future.

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM

This is what Rafa said yesterday about this afternoon’s game:

“Our idea is to try to get three points.”

Can you imagine McPardew coming out with something like that….

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM

wassup folks

I would love to see gamez in for manquillo, mbemba along side lejune
    mitro upfront on his own, perez in the stands with joselu ,aarons on the wing and
    put one more face in midfield perhaps diame ? we got aint others folks.
    then maybe we can nick a point but im guessing its just a wishful thinking from me.
    anyway hope for the best expect the worse.

good game folks keep the spirit.
    CMON NEWCASTLE.

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM

we aint got others

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:56 AM

two games in one mou vs benitez and the match itself..
    both will be interesting to see…..

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM

if we get the first goal a big IF then mou will be acting a fool again…
    imagine if we won a big IF again then mou will definitely be acting a fool.

• sparky55

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM

my bets for a 3-1 spurs win today…just can’t see arsenal keepin’ them oot.

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Mister Tuff “Just cannot see us getting a result today – more like a right tonking.”

Cross your legs, Tuff, I can see your Vagina.

Btw, learn how to use the ’em-dash properly, will you?

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM

i love it when mourinho lose it i love it (only one kevin keegan)… he a drama queen and a really bad loser its pretty amusing to me.

• RUNAWAY777

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Just back from a few days away with the wife how thing going hibbit with the takeover mate owt or nowt, inot be drink today as working tonight would lv for us to sneak a draw.

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM

AncientC

so you really believe we win ?? opinions differ to one another
    but to call mr. tuff out like that is childish.

• hibbit

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM

RUNAWAY

i’d take a draw !!
    but in truth i just don’t see us getting anything but a thumping

things are moving ahead very quickly now. shire says watch for announcement early next week

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM

booboo (great moniker, huh), I am sure the blog well get along just fine without your interference or input regarding others posts.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM

booboo

for once i actually agree with you on pretty much everything there. it just shows how far away we are in terms of having a quality squad, the likes of Merino apart. i bet many of us have secretly written this one off. Don’t know if I can even bear to watch 90+ mins backs to the wall.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM

ancient

jeez comment like that, how old are you!!!

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM

hibbit

I hope he is right with the announcement one thing forsure if it dont happen before january
    then it will cost the club in many departments. and if it does i will be dancing in the streets all night long !!!

• Jib

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM

AncientC
    feeling his weight
    musta had vodka on his cornflakes
    making a bid to be the new blog hard man

Ha ha ha ha
    Way to go Jezza

• YoungMag :P

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Drama alert.

I love this blog <3

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Jib, yes, you can tell by more incoherence that I have been drinking in the AM.

ha ha ha ha < laughing at my own posts.

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Jib, just curious, why do you cut your sentences off? Do you believe your blog posts are poetry. I have not seen prose like that since I last read John Donne. I mean, I know your google researched posts are eloquent, but are they that good?

• YoungMag :P

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Team I’d hope to see.

______________Elliot
    Manquillo_Lejuene_Clark_Mbemba
    _________Hayden_Shelvey
    Ritchie_______Saivet________Aarons
    ____________Mitrovic

• magic hat

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM

If we are to draw we need to defend in 11 behind the ball as I can only see a draw coming from a painful nil nil. We’ll be aiming to attack only on the break with minimal men committed to it. I’m not saying sit deep and pray. But it’ll be park the bus from us and throw the kitchen sink at us from them. I don’t see who we have that can unlock thier defence. So if we score there’ll be a good chunk of luck or a set piece involved I’d have thought.

Of course this is not what I want to happen I want us to raise our game and teach them a lesson in underestimating us. But I just can’t see it, nor can I see us getting trounced. However as being a Newcastle fan is unpredictable i’ll Still watch with hope rather than expectation.

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:51 PM

AncientC

dont know about your differences before but cmon he was only stating his opinion on his last post.
    i like my moniker thank you.

Rotonda heights

we agree on the match and on the squad but anything can happen in football ehh ?
    lets just sleep this one through lol. maybe joselu might get a hattrick.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Ancient C
    Unlike you I’m considerate
    of those with devices with
    smaller screens where the text
    if not thought about can be
    chopped into incoherence

• YoungMag :P

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Oh cmon jib you say that like we are all bad people for not being ‘considerate’ to these people like you.

What a joke.

• AncientC

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Jib, how very considerate of you.

• booboo

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM

AncientC

grow up and you should change your moniker to newbie
    like the baby u act like.

• ronaldo aarons

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Read this in chronicle about mitrovic earlier this week:
    The forward has started only 15 league matches since Benitez took charge in March 2016, scoring nine goals.

Either way, don’t see mitro starting and he’ll be lucky to get 10 mins. If gayle does start then I just hope it isn’t Perez behind him as that combination has never worked and doesn’t look like working at all. Possibly could see a return of diame and gayle like last year.

• AncientC