Newcastle Fans Have Their Say On Current Predicament – Mostly Upbeat

Newcastle fans are mostly still positive after our 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford on Saturday and for most of that first half, we were a lot better than the Red Devils.

But then two things happened – our defensive weaknesses started to show and we gave away two bad goals just before halftime to make it 2-1.

That was after Dwight Gayle scored a very good first goal after 14 minutes – and hopefully, we will see more goals coming from Dwight.

He’s the only natural goalscorer we have at the moment.

The other thing that the massively expensive player on display for Manchester United started to show their class and the game was over and we lost 4-1.

There are some fans negative about the current situation after losing three games in a row but in the main the fans are sticking with Rafa and the team.

That’s what we have to do and not overreact too much to the defeats.

The only time we can overact is when we win – and then we can really go to town!

Newcastle fans

Hopefully, we will get a number of wins before the end of this year and if we can be around mid-table when January comes along  – and we’ll be in very decent shape.

Let’s keep the faith.

And just think – Amanda could well be the new owner by then.

Hoping and praying ……….

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM

So is that Hayden suspended for Watford now?

The 2nd half him and Shelvey got swamped by Man Utds midfield at times we could maybe do with a 3rd midfielder in there

Diame looked off the pace last time he played would quite like to see Mbemba given a go as the holding midfielder he seems to have all the attributes to be a success in that position but has never really been tried despite doing well at international level in the middle !?

• hibbit

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM

worrying times for some !!!

all we can do is stay strong and remember the good times are just round the corner
    Rafa has one job this season, keep us up and then build from there

keep the faith

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Just read the Chronicle match report and Lee Ryder’s merit marks:

Rob Elliot 6 – left badly exposed –
    bugga me I thought he was at fault for the first two goals stood rooted to the line – second goal in particular floated ball from deep to back post shpuld of came and collected or at least punched it out
    Yedlin 5
    Clark 5
    Lejeune 4
    Manquilla 4
    Ritchie 5
    Shelvey 5
    Ryder give your head a shake if you think Ritchie was as good as Shelvey – I gave Shelvey MOM
    Hayden 6
    Better than Shelvey – giv owa man
    Murphy 6
    Joselu 5
    Gayle 6

subs
    Aarons 5
    Mitrovic 4

Did he see the same game as me !!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM

It is a concern the amount of goals that we have conceded from headers and crosses in the last couple of games since Lascalles went off injured Lejuene seemed all over the place and they clearly targeted our fullbacks with long balls

• kimbo

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Good times are just round the corner, have been saying this since SBR left. We have the best manager we could hope for but that will not be enough without quality new players in January.
    We must beat Watford on Saturday if not then we are looking at a desperate Xmas.

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM

lochinvar

I think all Premiership games are hard, some more so than others. I never thought we would even draw let alone win at Old Trafford. Our track record there is abysmal. They are flying. We have lost our previous two games. They score freely. We score occasionally. We were missing two influential players whereas they welcomed back an outstanding world class midfield player to complement an array of world class players.

But we were not disgraced. I can’t recall having heard that word or read that word in any narrative about the match. We gave it our very best shot for much of the game but in the end overwhelming class and quality prevailed over effort and tactics.

We are going to lose against teams that we thought were home bankers and win against others against all the odds.

I’m not sure about Cathro. I agree about Gayle. It looks like a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders. That goal will have given him a huge boost. He was a supreme predator in the Championship and the technique of a perfectly placed sidefooted low strike in the corner bodes well.

• jayphoto

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM

@Slank from prev post – surely her ownership would be through her company which is like a hedge fund? So other people investing but her controlling the investments.. the more interesting thing for me is the motive. There are numerous scenarios that could be in play, my first idea would be the money going into PCP for this deal comes from a less than clean source and the buyers wouldn’t pass the fit and proper owners test, which could mean money from somewhere like Saudi Arabia and they don’t want the media spotlight.
    Owner a football club tends to be a losing investment if you are trying to compete, but theres some really interesting reading material based around Chinese investment to do with Fosun who own wolves and why they bought them that could apply where actually owning the club and the club being successful is a factor but it aligns with a networking factor that is actually worth far more than the relatively small in big business terms loss of owning a football club. Worth remembering that owning a champions league or premier league football club gets you a seat at the table with people that do 20 billion pound deals in other areas of business, people like sheik Mansour, Roman Abramovich etc, its a way to strengthen networking relationships and in many cases, buys you 90 minutes in a room with a guy with power that far goes beyond footballs money. Its almost a club you can buy into but to do so you have to progress the club you own as its a reflection of yourself.

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:30 AM

REPOST

Lochinvar

• Munster Mag

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Hopefully Lejeune will improve. Im not convinced he is as good as we would hope but time will tell. Same for Clark who tends to lose his man too much . Hope for best. I am surprised at Rafa’s tactical change as it was something I hoped for more last season. If anything, he is doing better this season if that makes sense, I my opinion. ( No doubt Jail will have to comment on that) . Maybe 442 is the way forward, or something similar and maybe Gayles pace in the centre will add a further threat. I think Mitro still needs to be given a crack though. Either that or Joselu must be some trainer!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Richie looks knackered he is still putting in the effort but looks jaded which seems to be effecting his end product teams are also trying to mark him out the game

Maybe bench him for the Watford game and give Aarons and Murphy a go on the wings to try something a little different

It happened with Richie last season and Rafa rested him about this time and he came roaring back so maybe we need that again

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM

jayphoto,

I agree with a lot you have said.

But I have my doubts about PCP. Their MO has been as a match maker. It would be a break from their normal practice to own a football club whose ROI must be exceedingly low. I’m not sure they are anything like a Hedge Fund. Hedge Funds use other people’s money to make more money. Owning Newcastle United wouldn’t seem to fit into that mould.

I’m inclined to think that PCP is representing an as yet unnamed individual, consortium or state who have the wealth to waste on a vanity project that allows them to hob nob at the top table.

The most intriguing aspect of all this is that nobody has spilled the beans about who may be the real two (aledged) bidders.

• Sav

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Hayden gone for Watford. Unless Merino is fit it leaves Rafa with a dilemma in midfield. Colback seems unliklely, as does Saivet. Diame is the obvious replacement but he’s disappointed every time this season. Rafa has shown flexibility and enterprise with his selection at Old Trafford. Will it be Mbemba or even Perez in midfield? The latter has made more tackles than most this year and has a good engine and can pick a pass.

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party,

Ritchie for all his admirable commitment and effort seems to have lost his sparkle.

Hayden too seems a bit jaded. Looks like he will get his rest though.

I think virtual fans would love to see Aarons on one wing with Murphy on the other.

• lesh

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Hibbit

Hopefully….. Only two sleeps to our Christmas arriving early and I’ll put a bottle of Lagavulin out for Santa.

• hibbit

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM

if shire is on the money and i believe he is we will have a lot more information by Wednesday

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM

@Slank

I would love us to try that against Watford they are not that great defensively and may struggle against 2 direct wingers who can beat a man but I do worry about our options in central midfield against them

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM

Pulis gone

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party,

I think if we had Mbemba (assuming Merino is still unavailable) alongside Shelvey and with Lascelles back Watford may be forced on the backfoot looking after two direct wingers and a predatory Gayle on the shoulders of their last defender.

If we had two direct wingers would you play Mitrovich alongside Gayle ?

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:18 AM

@Charlie
    It makes me wonder if I was watching the same match when you see ratings like that. Nobody deserved a 4. We probably played better than in some our other matches that we won. To give Elliot a higher mark than Shelvey is ridiculous. I’d have had Shelvey on a 7/8 and Elliot on a 5. Don’t think he made a single save. I wonder how the other reporters rated the players.

Good news on Pulis. Hopefully he’ll go manage in a different league so we don’t have to watch his teams. With all their defensive players, Allardyce would be a suitable fit, or Koeman if they want to play slightly better football. No doubt Pardew will see it as his type of team too.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM

@Slank

At the moment I would play Mitrovic I feel Joselu has had a fair crack at it and while he is working hard hes doing nothing going forward and its meant we have been defeated a few times without even laying a glove on the opponent hes too passive against defenders and gets bullied too easily !

2 wingers firing crosses into the box and Gayle and Mitrovic attacking them who knows it might not work but we need wins in these next 2 games and being cautious against teams we need to beat has cost us against teams such as Huddersfield and Brighton

• lesh

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Hibbit

I might have upset Shire last night and may have lost my preferred blogger status. If that’s the case and he posts any news, perhaps you’d be kind enough to pass it on to me?

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party,

Totally agree.

I would like to think that it’s worth a try. If Rafa persists, especially at home, with what many would see as a ‘safe almost defensive formation’ that includes the ineffectual Joselu without winning then questions are going to be asked by some.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM

@Slank

I think this is when we will see why we have Rafa he will be aware that we have not been getting results are will be trying lots of different things to get the wins we need

Whereas under Pardew or Mclaren we would get beat 4 or 5 games in a row and still play the exact team

I even noticed Shelvey was playing different against Man Utd he was running with the ball and trying to get into the box reminded of when he played for Swansea at his best when doing that we need more of that every game

• Rotonda heights

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM

cheer up slank you’re sounding as dreary and depressing as posada.
    if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen but stop trying to bring us all down when we’re clutching at a rare bit of happiness..

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Rotonda heights,

‘..sounding as dreary and depressing as posada…’

Surely not. I would hang my head (or fingers in the case of my iPad) in shame at the thought !

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM

The next Mike Williamson
    I agree strange marks indeed and as for the performance – first half is about the best we have played – had a go went 1 up could of easily gone two up if Murphy had squared the ball to Gayle. And also could of went in level if Hayden had shot at the near post or pulled it back to Gayle.

first half we passed moved quickly – got men forward and defended well until thier first goal.

Second half bit like Bournemouth seemed to loose the plot but we never gave up battled on.

I gave MOM to Shelvey followed by Yedlin – thought Elliot was poor especially crosses like Dracula.

Got to replicate the first half against Man Utd and Bournemouth against Watford BUT big BUT put the ball in the net.

• AncientC

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM

The odds on the who the next West Brom manager will be: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/west-brom/next-permanent-manager

Michael O’neill early favourite with Sam Allardyce also in the running, but I doubt West Brom would pay Allardyce what we would want… I hope not with West Brom coming up. Pardew 4th favourite, I’d take that. It looks like Pulis to take over Wales.

• Jib

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:11 PM

You have to wonder how late in the day the
    public gets the news
    I would have thought Pulis has known for a few
    weeks that he’s down the road.
    A scenario can be visualised where the Welsh FA
    Sunderland and WBA are all in the picture
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the new WBA manager
    is already aware of his appointment.

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Unlike other teams in bottom half, our problems are very easy to pinpoint. We have a decent defence, no problem with moral, decent wingers and midfield, young improving team. All we need to do is buy a striker and number ten and we could be flying. Problem is there’s not many strikers about. The big teams all snap up 4-5 top strikers and that doesn’t leave many good ones to go round. I say Tosun isn’t what we need, but then I can’t think of anybody better. Anyone decent is immediately on everybody else’s radar & the price goes up to £30m for someone like Slimani, so then you end up with Joselu. Everton practically went into the season without a striker so they’ll be desperate to fix that problem, and they’re a bigger draw than us these days.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Hibbit
    You heard anything about what went off at the weekend with looking at books from previous owners?

Hall and Shepherds people were contacted to help with enquiries apparently.

Not sure if that’s affected anything though.

Might have some more news later today.

Lesh you didn’t upset me. Your still in the list. Your just no longer my favourite blogger

• Lindisfarne

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Chris Colman must be kicking himself for taking the job down the road. Potentially could have been in the PL, closer to his home in Wales and manager of West Brom.

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM

I actually think Pardew would be a good call to save WBA. He always gets off to a good start and did well taking over Pulis’s last team. He just left Pulis’s defence the way it was, I remember Palace were getting tonnes of goals from corners when Pardew took over. Then he made them a tiny bit more pleasant to watch and it worked for a while until he Pardewed them. They could do worse than bring him in until the end of the season then sack him before he gets time to change things too much.

• martoon

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Lindisfarne @31 – True but most people thought Pulis would be sacked soon so it is not as if Coleman would not of know that. Funnily enough I think Pulis might have been what Sunderland needed to re-organise them.

• YoungMag :P

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM

My team vs Watford:

_____________Darlow
    Yedlin_Lascelles_Clark_Gamez
    ________Mbemba_Shelvey
    Murphy_____Mitrovic_____Aarons
    _____________Gayle

• jayphoto

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Knowing our luck Stavely will turn out to be undercover HMRC…

• Jib

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Daniel Sturridge decides he must leave Liverpool in January transfer window or miss out on the World Cup
    Rafa closely monitoring for a 6 month loan.

• Slank

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:46 PM

YoungMag :P,

I would take that team.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM

@Jib

My worry about taking him on loan would be him breaking down injured after a few games… BUT if we could keep him fit and get him chances then he would be a good striker to have

• Frank pingles come sock

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM

shirebrook –

I think you are getting muddled up

A few days ago

1 bid in – pcp

Today ….
    Hall and Shepard been contacted , not sure if that effects anything ?

Why would it if their bid is in already ??

2+2=5…,chronicle reporting data has been asked for from as far back as 27 years ago
    Suddenly no sure about what’s going on??

There’s no bid or bids yet