This Is A Promising New Development In The Newcastle Takeover Talks

The Times is today reporting that Mike Ashley is now prepared to accept around £350M for Newcastle United after his minimum price before was said to be around £380M.

This is a promising development because it does hint that Ashley really wants to sell and will not hold out for too high a price for the club.

Amanda Staveley bid for the club last Friday, and the price would get to £300M – but only if Newcastle hit certain performance-related goals and Ashley would get a bonus payment for each one of those.

But we wrote this morning that Mike Ashley would be willing to accept five yearly payments for £60M for the club, and that seemed a good offer.

Mike Ashley – wants simpler deal – and £350M

We also suggested splitting the difference on the price – Mike wanted £380M, and Amanda Staveley at best would offer £300M – so £340M would seem to be a decent compromise price.

If it’s £350M, then that’s fine.

But PCP Partners would still need to increase their offer quite a bit, and Ashley wants the deal to be simpler without clauses in there for performance-related bonuses and penalties in case the tax investigation charges brought by HMRC doesn’t turn out well.

A relegation penalty clause was also in the initial bid.

If Amanda Staveley on behalf of the consortium she has put together bid £350M for the club – without conditions – Mike Ashley would seem to be willing to accept that deal.

But Staveley would have to bear all the risks including possible relegation and a bad result on the HMRC case.

She would have to trust in Rafa – just like the rest of us already do!

Maybe PCP Partners could make five yearly payments of £70M each, and the deal could possibly get done.

It would also allow the consortium to invest in new players immediately and relive their overall financial burden.

What do you think?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Repost:

If Ashley is basically the one who wants to sell and there is only one potential bidder for the club…I am not seeing Ashley having much of a choice…

…especially if what our resident ITK’s are reporting are right!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Repost:

That £100M interest-free which he did charge us for by getting free advertising. I wonder does that only cover the fact that he didn’t do due diligence or does it also cover the fact that he got us relegated twice?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:02 PM

…again is Ashley really in a bargaining position?

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Yes there is supposedly a press release/statement happening today. Just going off what I’ve been told. Can’t add anything more to that I’m afraid!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Shire…can you comment on Ashley’s bargaining position?

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Nope!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Shire…would you like to? 😉

• YoungMag :P

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:09 PM

My own opinion hmmm well.

Related to nufc :-

Personally, I believe that Ashley is extremely smart. He knew that appointing Rafa would keep him in the clear from fan protests just long enough until he could sell the club. Let’s face it, if he hadn’t of appointed Rafa, where would we be right now? Most likely languishing in the championship, boycotting games and none stop pressuring Ashley to get out of our club. Rafa bought him time to get to the point he is at now, which is extremely better off for Ashley then the former I have mentioned. He’s definitely selling, he knows that there is only a slight chance of us being in a better position to sell in the future. Furthermore, that slim chance gets even slimmer when he doesn’t invest in us in January. So listen to me and the ITK’s on the blog when we say it’s happening. It wouldn’t make sense for him to turn this chance down.

My opinion on you :-

You’re a sad, sad man attempting to belittle everyone’s hopes. Ever heard the phrase…

‘if you haven’t got anything good to say then don’t say it at all’

Please participate in that phrase. You’d be doing us all a favour.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM

Maybe 😉

• Jib

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM

According to Forbes , Mike Ashley this morning
    was worth £2,413,000,000 and rising.
    To talk of him and bargaining positions is absurd

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM

YoungMag…and that is you saying something “good” about who 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Shire…don’t hold it in mate…it’s not healthy 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM

Jib…I am not always sure how good you are at reading so I’ll give you the benefit of a doubt on this one…

• YoungMag :P

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM

Jasper

Yes, you got me! A touch of hypocrisy. Oh well, I wanted to make my point that this blog could have done without his constant negativity.

• Ginger Pirlo

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Shire, what time do you think this press conference could be?

• toonincheek

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Ashley does not seem to be in strong negotiation position.
    That’s a new one for him.
    No deal = very limited money in January = bleak future
    = Rafa gone.
    And only one bidder, it seems.

And – it also seems he has an option to make a highly
    advantageous deal in December IF he has the cash.
    I know he’s rich – in assets – that doesn’t mean he has
    the readies for the other deal he wants to make as he
    may well have borrowed the maximum already against
    his assets.

Interesting times.

Still worries me a bit who the new owner could be.
    Ms Amanda ? I don’t see her as being the prime mover.
    Hoping she is fronting up for someone who has the money
    and wants to make a “statement” with NUFC.

• ShirebrookToon

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Pirlo
    No idea, like I say. I’m just going off what I’ve been told mate. If I had any more info I’d happily share it

• posada

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Jib
    Good point.

Young Mag
    Good effort for you that. Did you have to sit in a bucket of water when you typed it.
    Lets look. A bland account of the recent times at NUFC.
    Followed by a claim to be ITK. How exactly.
    Then a personal insult.
    Well done, your getting better. Not by much, but your getting better.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM

posada,

You whinge (well that’s your default position generally) about people making personal attacks and insults. Suggest you read back all your comments. Pot – kettle – black comes to mind. Honestlyyou’ve got all the charisma of a dead fish. As I said, if, as you claim, I’ve only ever read one book, although now you’re confusing yourself and mentioning a second, it’s still probably one or 2 more than you. How’s your autobiograhy ” the descending dark ”coming on? You know you bring happiness wherever you go.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM

jib

but as we know it’s all wallpaper money that’s tied up when we need new players, but happily liquidizes when buying housing complexes worth 200M in London.

• Ginger Pirlo

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Shire recently the announcements have been later in the day, like when he announced us for being up for sale and then the announcement that pcp and stavely had put in a formal bid for us

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM

YoungMag…not really judging just found it funny 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Shirebrook,
    What colour bloomers is Mandy wearing today. Did she have a full English or continental this morning and did she have a bloody Mary with it.
    Jeezus H. Christos,
    Give the poor bloke a break, he’s sharing everything he can here, do youse think he works for bloody PCP or summit?

• YoungMag :P

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

‘A bland account’

Your opinion. Whatever.

Just speaking truthfully mate, if you’re offended at all by what I said then that’s your problem. It was very pg.

I never claimed to be an ITK, read again.

‘listen to me and the ITK’s on the blog’

‘me AND the ITK’s’

I’m separating myself from them.

• hibbit

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

just been told this in the last hour

the main haggling points at the moment besides money

1 ashleys wants 8 years free advertising at the same level as now
    2 the intellectual property rights ashley has transferred into mash holdings
    3 the club shop which is under contract to sd
    4 other assets ashley has transferred into mash holdings (not sure what these are )

make of this what you will

• Dragon64

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

lets hope the ppl itk are correct but at the end of the day it will take as long as it takes…here’s hoping

• toonincheek

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Let’s NOT get on Shire’s back if there is no news conference.

I there isn’t one, I would just take it that there were intentions
    to have one, as reported by Shire, but that plans changed.

• lesh

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Shire

• Jib

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM

I think Jesper is once again confused by
    the subtleties of the English language

Ashley most decidedly wants to sell
    Equally
    There is no way he has to sell

This is not a Freddy Shepherd situation

• lesh

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Shire

I wonder if the Times report Ed’s just posted is the expected press statement?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Yes Jib…that’s it! You just go with that….

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM

hibbit…that’s interesting points…if true it’s not only Ashley who wants something…

…got to laugh though if Ashley wants free advertising as part of the deal…the guy is more deluded than I thought!

• Moonraker15

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Jib
    Regards your comments at #10 and 29
    You misread the situation if you think Ashley doesn’t HAVE to sell!
    If he doesn’t then Rafa walks, we get relegated and he’s left with a championship club worth about £40 million. Even he can’t afford to throw away £300 million.
    AS knows this and so does fatso so he will sell 100%.

• U.S Magpie

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM

If Ashley needs to sell for his other deals I don’t think he really has a ton of bargaining power here. I cannot see PCP allowing the shop and the ground to stay as SD. Looking at how PCP work, I’m sure they will have some financial backing somewhere for the advertising at the ground if and when the sale goes through. Yes he maybe on paper worth 2 Billion but that not what he has in his bank account. That money tied up in most of his business empire, he cannot just free up that money for his other deals so selling the club makes sense if its true that he needs to purchase something before Dec 15th.

• WLtoon

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:23 PM

There are a few bloggers on here who claim to be privvy to what is going on behind the scenes with the takeover at the club. Or, maybe they claim to be but are just voicing an opinion. Whether its an opinion or genuine ITK info makes not a jot of difference to me and alot of bloggers on here. Facts and done deals are all im interested in, not rumours. My opinion is that i think the deal will happen, for around 340M, with NO extended SD advertising. Benitez will stay and we will actually win something. Pick the bones out of that one.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:16 PM

For me, and I have no inside knowledge, it looks like Ashley is not in a strong bargaining position. The club has been poorly run for years under Mike and has seen two relegations, numerous poor managers, and many terrible final positions in the table along with one decent season with a fifth place finish. We have a good manager now, yes, but one who won’t stay to be endlessly lied to by Ashley. And there is the tax matter as well. Ashley will sell and he won’t get everything he wants. His time is up with us and he knows it. We will finally be able to move on.

• WLtoon

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM

Its 8.15pm. Where is the big announcement that was definitely going to happen today about the takeover ?

• Ianyd

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Just what I needed on my way to work. Same old group of women on here with the fighting and doom and gloom. Word it how ever you like people, it’s the same old 5~10 cock ends on here having snipes at each other and making it at time unbearable to read the comment section. No wonder I and five people I know from work stopped reading this page for around a year or 2

• widowmagandapoke

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Why would Ashley (as you quote) accept 5 payments of 60 m which adds up to 300m, yet not accept 300m straight fee? Doesn’t make sense.
    Fingers cross for a quick positive end to it all.

• widowmagandapoke

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Lanyd (above comment) I agree 100%.