These Were Newcastle’s Two Best Players At The Hawthorns

Things appear much brighter this morning with Newcastle having put to an end that terrible four-game losing streak and the way they did it was just a little unusual.

Being 2-0 down with 35 minutes to play against a team that had not won since last August would have been very embarrassing if we had lost the game and made it 5 defeats in a row.

Well – we dodged that bullet.

But one thing you can say about a Rafa Benitez side – they never give up – and it was a nice headed goal by Ciaran Clark that put us on the right track only three minutes after West Brom had gone 2-0 up.

Calrk is now joint top scorer at Newcastle with – wait for it – 2 goals.

And an excellent free kick from Matt Ritchie with 6 minutes to go got us the equalizer through an own goal from Jonny Evans.

Mikel Merino – looked good last night

Matt was back to his best form after having a poor game last Saturday against Watford.

He was all action as usual and the returning Mikel Merino also provided that bit of class and endeavor in central midfield.

These are two important players for Newcastle this season, and both of them top our Man of the Match poll and at the time of writing Matt is just edging out Mikel at the top.

One good thing after Rafa made 5 changes from the side that lost 3-0 at home to Watford was that all 3 substitutes that came on – Aarons, Mitrovic and Shelvey all played well, and Newcastle looked a much better and more threatening side at the end.

With just a little bit of luck, we could even have won the game last night.

But hey, we’ll take a draw – especially in the manner it was achieved.

We have some character in the Newcastle side under Rafa Benitez – there’s no doubt about that.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• catchy in norway

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Honorable mentions to both Mitrovic and Mbemba

• Jib

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Honourable we spell it in the UK

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM

Louise Hamilton is driving the bus, I’ll come back when it stops. 🙂

• catchy in norway

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM

Jib

I have dyslexia, i spell the best way i can,, but thanks for pointing it out for me

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Honalable in Japan

• AncientC

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:34 PM

If Joselu is to be dropped it may lead to a change of formation. Joselu seems integral to the way that Benitez wants to play, but with it (Joselu) not working, the style will possibly have to adapt. Gayle back into the starting line up I suspect.

• Our Toon

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Ancient

The point I’m making is that the lads have provided details which had been bang on. They won’t know all the ins and outs of the deal. With any type of takeover or big money deal such as this obstacles that are unforeseen can hamper a deal going through.

If the 3 are wrong then so be it but I think it’s wrong to give them a hard time about it.

• catchy in norway

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Ancient

do you give Abbott a hard time or thornbury ? these are one step away from running the country, the guys on here are not in the loop but close to it and doing a great job giving us what they can

• Jib

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM

I’ve done quick back of an envelope
    calculations and with careful management
    – maximising revenue streams – trimming
    expenses – increased broadcasting funds
    – the profit that NUFC made in 2015 (£36m)
    should be achievable every year
    even while spending on new players.

A 10% annual return on £300m + invested
    is quite good,

• Worcs-Geordie

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM

And…… Not only do the Baggies get Pardew.. He’s only gone and brought Carver onto his staff!

So.. 5 wins straight.. Then 20 games with Nil points.. Standard Alan.

• Our Toon

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Our u23s are 6-2 up against Swansea.

• catchy in norway

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:41 PM

jib , do you have any more observations you want to point out for me?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Catchy…your spelling is just great mate!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Catchy…my dad in-law has a mild case of dyslexia and when he’s spelling it looks like Norwegian 🙂

…it’s actually easier for him sometimes to read and write Norwegian

• Jib

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Catchy
    My brother was dyslexic so I
    empathise

It’s quite sad really

He was an alcoholic as well

He choked on his own vimto

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:46 PM

…I don’t know if you have picked up any Norwegian living in Norway (is it in Stavanger?)

• Toonfan8

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM

If Joselu is integral part of Rafas style of play, then I am afraid, what his style should be. Joselu, Manquillo and others are his signings. It is not that, we had more money when we finished fifth, we bought Cabaye for 4,5M, HBA 5M, Demba Ba free, Obertan 3M, Santon 5M, Cisse 10M…so we didnt have much money then, but I think we bought better players for that value, then Rafa is bringing now….

• Tsunki

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM

EGB@5 – ror.

• Tsunki

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Toonfan – i bought my first car for £300. If I still had it, it would be worth about £5k now.

• AncientC

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM

catchy, doubting “specific” information is giving people a hard time? I doubt they are overly bothered. Anybody that is confident in the veracity of their information would welcome it being questioned. Why do people need to be so territorial about it.

• Toonfan8

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM

And I dont like Pardew at all, he was also stubborn, but I enjoyed that one season a lot…when I imagine to see players like Cabaye, HBA, Demba Ba, Cisse, Tiote, Jonas, Collocini, Santon, Krul— that one season, that team was great, what went wrong is that MA refused to buy other players of that quality, but that was at time certainly great squad.

• AncientC

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Oh, and I shall wait for catchy being take up on bringing politics onto the blog. Hold on… I shall not waste my time.

Catchy, you will be glad to know Jayda Fransen got some recognition from Trump today—she is right up your alley, that lady.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM

• AncientC

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Our Toon, btw, I happen to believe Sparky, so I do not doubt all three of them.

• Toonfan8

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Tsunki it is not that far, even then there were crazy prices, but with good research and staff you can find diamonds like Tiote, Cabaye, Demba, HBA,Jonas for reasonable price.

• YoungMag :P

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:00 PM

How’s everyone doing?

Am I the only person who thinks that we will beat Chelsea?

• lesh

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Essex

If you were in Rafa’s shoes would you be sure that Ashley’d deliver on a promise of cash? No, thought not.

And, Ed’s bus’s probably being driven by the F1 driver, Louis Taylor rather than the Guardian hack Louise Hamilton. )

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Lesh

I stand collected, my aporigies.