Rafa’s Five Changes At The Hawthorns Was A Clear Message To His Players

Rafa Benitez has said that because we played two games in four days, he needed to make changes to the starting eleven at the Hawthorns.

That’s true and it does give a chance for the fringe players to get a game but it still came as a shock to Newcastle fans that the team was so changed from the team that started against Watford when we were well beaten 3-0.

It was also a terrible display last Saturday, and we’re sure that had something to him making 5 changes for the game at the Hawthorns.

Fans didn’t expect Jonjo Shelvey, Rob Elliot, and Dwight Gayle to be left out of the side.

That was a statement from the manager to all his players that nobody’s place is safe at Newcastle and he is not afraid to make the changes.

Rafa Benitez – message to his players

This is what Rafa has said about the changes he made:

“It’s just that when you play two games in a few days, you need fresh legs.”

“For everyone, they need to be sure that they will be part of the team, part of the season, and they need to know they can help the team.”

“Now everybody knows that they can play.”

Some players were dropped for the game on Tuesday night, but there were so many positives coming out of the game after the lads brilliantly came back from being 2-0 down in the second half.

Many of our players played well on Tuesday night, and it was great to have Mikel Merino back in the mix.

This lad can make the difference for Newcastle this season, and if he keeps improving, then we have to tie this lad down in the summer to a new improved long-term contract.

It’s going to be interesting to see what team Rafa starts at Stamford Bridge on Saturday but at the very least we need to put in a strong performance against the reigning Premier League Champions.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:34 PM

I’ll spare you all my repost.

• catchy in norway

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM

lose

and very heavily

• jimmysmith

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:40 PM

I have this nasty little habit of reading the Guardian’s “Rumour Mill” pretty much on a daily basis. I don’t know why I do it, I know it’s not healthy, and even though I’m pretty sure not a single one of the “rumours” has ever eventuated, the money they bandy about now has me seriously thinking Joselu might just be our last signing, ever. Eden Hazard is apparently worth twice as much as our entire squad. I now expect him to not only run our own poor DeAndre Yedlin ragged and exhausted, but as a coup de grace, actually kill him in front of the baying and adoring Chelsea fans.

• YoungMag :P

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Wise jail all things considered.

• Little h

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Jail
    Totally agree it’s laughable, they are manager’s who should be going down a level to lower leagues, if I was palace or whu owners and I was willing to gamble on that scale I would of gambled on up coming manager’s I would prefer those brothers from Lincoln city over moyes or hodgson look to the future if your going to gamble

• Jib

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:06 PM

MIcky
    The son Omar runs Majid
    but Papa Abdulla seems to be the serious dough

• Mister Tuff

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM

The dangers of allowing tossers to post their tosh and ill informed blockhead theories.
    We now hear that cancer is not a disease.
    I’d better send an email to Cancer Research UK and inform them of this – they’ve been calling it a disease for years. Silly Billys’.