This Could Be Rafa’s Starting Eleven Today Against Leicester

It’s always difficult to guess what team Rafa will start in any game.

And with two players coming back from injury – Jamaal Lascelles and Christian Atsu – it’s no easier today for the home game against Leicester.

Shelvey has been missing for the last two games but hopefully, he will start today.

Jacob Murphy has played well in Atsu’s absence so we expect the youngster to keep his place, but we also expect Jamaal Lascelles to come straight back in at center-back.

Florian Lejeune could find himself on the bench with Ciaran Clark partnering Jamaal – as they did so many times last season.

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles on the sideline

Here’s a potential starting eleven in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Darlow
Manquillo Lascelles (c) Clark Mbemba
Shelvey Hayden
Ritchie Merino Murphy
Gayle

That looks like a strong team and has all three central midfielders – Shelvey, Hayden, and Merino – starting today.

What team would you start against Leicester?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Hi Ed, You could update your goals table Dwight Gayle has scored 2 but hang on I’m hoping that will go up to 5 after today!

• Bambams

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:12 AM

DubaiMicky

Right I have scrolled back and now read your previous ….I was out and left the blog (how dare I )

The Qatar link this morning that I shared from the original source ‘I believe is a backtrack ‘ given too much was said yesterday. Can’t prove it just experience in this sort of thing over many years.

The name I believe is behind this is Saudi but as I have said fella I have shared everything (Well bar the two names we looked at yesterday) I am authorised to.

I hope we are both accurate in the fact it’s Saudi. If not then so be it.

If I do not reply immediately it is probable that I am not on the blog, but will hopefully catch up later. As I said in one of my posts earlier- it’s a weekend and I am spending a bit too much time on my mobile.

Enjoy your day, once again boys and girls.

• DubaiMicky

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Bambams, have a great day marra.

The thing is with Stavely, she will lose support from Saudi/UAE if she is seen backing a Qatari investor, now as her office is around a mile from where I live, that’s not going to happen.

Anyway, none of us really know what’s happening but I think after the curry fest, we can assume a deal has been done.

Interesting times ahead – for good or bad.

• Bambams

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:28 AM

DubaiMicky

Will do mate……

Fingers crossed eh

Laters

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Toontaff2 your hopping one day it will be 5 .1 mate haha iam sticking with my bet 2.1 or 3.1 have a good day mate wifes got me at the metro centre for f//k.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM

I can’t see Rafa playing all three mid-fielders, Perez seems to be his 1st choice for the number 10 role.

My attempt to second guess Rafa is.

Darlow

Manquillo Lascelles Lejeune Mbemba

Shelvey Merino

Ritchie Perez Murphy

Gayle

2-0 to us.

Had a quick look to see if I can get a one off subscription for the game with BT via Sky but as far as I can see it has to be done on a full monthly/yearly contract which I don’t want to do, any suggestions.

I would think there may be a decent stream somewhere today anyway, otherwise it’s the NUFC Radio and MOTD tonight.

• jane

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM

this is the team i think Rafa will pick

Elliot
    Manquillo Lascelles (c) Clark Mbemba
    Merino Hayden
    Ritchie Perez Atsu
    Joseul

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:52 AM

6 hours 37 minutes to KO

• Bianconeri

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Forget the Raffa bingo why not guess how many times a certain poster will slag Ritchie off and another Yedlin.I’m guessing 10,but that’s only if they play well, 🙂 god help us if they have a bad game.

As for the itk’s “Anyway, none of us really know what’s happening”
    Exactly

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Just posted a comment but it didn’t show, can’t see why it would be moderated as it was fairly innocuous, posting this as a tester.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Ok

I’ll try again, forgot about Yedlin, might well have picked him over Manquillo.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the likes of Herdman and Colback in the squad.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM

That went through OK, wonder if I hit the wrong key! 🙂

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Everyone out doing their Xmas shopping?

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM

U23 team for their 2-0 win over WBA last night

Newcastle United Under-23s: Nathan Harker; Jamie Sterry, Kyle Cameron, Macaulay Gillesphey, Paul Dummett (60); Henri Saivet, Dan Barlaser; Yasin Ben El-Mhanni, Dan Ward (85), Callum Roberts (Callum Smith 76); Luke Charman.

Subs not used: Paul Woolston, Owen Bailey.

• jane

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM

do people go out to do their Christmas shopping?

• Jib

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Don’t forget everyone
    If you watch TV through
    Virgin media
    The Leicester match is free
    on channel 100

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Expat…I have some reading for you while you sit the munching on your king prawns or tiger prawns slurping your Sauvignon Blanc and feel good about life and yourself 😉

Enjoy your shrimps mate

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM

5 hours 34 minutes to KO

• expatmag

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Jesper

Havent got time to read mate.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM

*the = there

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Reading is healthy my friend 😉

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Jesper

I’ve read it and what we (humans) are doing to our planet is deplorable. At the risk of sounding like a doom monger I think we may have gone too far already and killed of our oceans.

Football will also become extinct by the way. Just to inject a football theme into my comment.

• Jib

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Jesper seems confused (what’s new ?)

between

South East Asia

and

South East Queensland

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Jib

All of the worlds oceans are connected!!

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:13 PM

And my favourite Indian meal is King Prawn Biriani.

But chicken, lamb and beef are just as suspect from an environmental aspect so it seems to be Hobsons choice. 🙁

• Jib

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Bill that comment in relation to what we are talking
    about is so fatuous as to be breath-taking.
    Moreton bay prawn farms at so closely monitored and
    river flushed that there is more chance of South East
    Asian ocean pollution affecting North Shield fishquay

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM

5 hours 15 minutes

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Cairney isn’t on Rafas list that’s for sure. Bigger and better names

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:18 PM

EGB…that was a great save by the way 🙂 lol

Just imagine those delicious shrimps on the barbie and then picture them being raise in a fish farm pumped full of pesticides and antibiotics and basically swimming around in what could be described at sewer water!

Yummy!

And then there’s the human and nature side of it!

Enjoy your shrimps Expat 😉 and your Sauvignon Blanc to ease the mind

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Jib

I have no idea how Moreton Bay prawns are farmed, but if I hear the word farming in connection the word sea.

My thought go to other attempts to farm sea creatures and in particular Salmon farming. That is not particularly environmentally friendly.

Expats prawns may well be an exception but Jesper is still making a very valid observation too, on the whole, football obsessed fans. That includes me by the way. 🙂

• lochinvar

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM

EssexGB – Xmas shopping ? Don’t be daft lad there’s weeks yet before you need to start that

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Don’t do my xmas shopping til 24th. Plenty of time

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Shire…I am wondering if Cairney is a one season wonder

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Blimey my grammar isn’t very good today, possibly getting two eggsited about the game.

Actually naah, been a toon supporter to long to do that.

I’m probably just a thicko. 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Jesper
    Yeah he’s not pulling up any trees this season

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Oops looks like my last comment moderated, pity it was a little bit amusing.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:37 PM