Benitez Explains Lejeune’s Strengths – What He Needs To Do Now

Florian Lejeune looked a good player in pre-season, but unfortunately, he was injured in the first half of our first game against Tottenham in August – along with Paul Dummett.

Florian has been back in the first team during our poor run, and he’s made mistakes lately like other players in the side.

But Rafa Benitez believes Florian is just learning the ropes of the Premier League, and he needs time to adjust to what is a very good league.

It’s a lot more physical then the Spanish League he has been playing in.

Lejeune seems to have what it takes to be a good center-back, but his positional play has been wanting at times recently.

Florian Lejeune – challenges Jamie Vardy on Saturday

We expect Florian to become a very good player for Newcastle as he gets more experience in the Premier League.

This is what Benitez  has said of Lejeune today as reported in the Chronicle:

“I think every single player coming from abroad to play here will need time to adapt. Obviously a center-back needs more time.”

“But when we were signing him, we were signing a player that technically is good, can play on the ball, he can pass the ball, and he was different to the players that we had.”

“We have Lascelles and Clark, and Lejeune is different, and Mbemba is different because he is not as big.”

“Lejeune is big, he is good in the air, he can pass the ball. He will need some time to adapt and understand.”

“The way they were playing in Eibar with the defensive line a little bit higher, sometimes they were playing offside.”

“To manage this, to play offside or to drop off, and deal with the pace of Jamie Vardy or these things, it is a question of time.”

“For anyone coming from abroad to the Premier League, the adaptation is always difficult.”

Jamaal Lascelles is fit again, and it could well be that Jamaal comes in at the expense of Lejeune tonight against Everton.

That will break Florian’s run of 9 successive games in the Newcastle first team.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jackostoon

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Morning all,
    I very rarely post but is it just me that thinks manxpie and posada are dicks.

• JackButler

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM

the lads looked decent despite playing in a poor side, yes he needs time but he also needs more quality around him

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Sorry for repost… The bus moved

Just reading through recent days… C-dog is like a big with a bone with poor Tsunki, give it a rest man… Although going by the creativity and intellectual undertones of Tsunki’s past posts I’d say he has the measure of him.

Please let it go C-Dog for the harmony of the blog, it’s actually quite childish and vile.

Thanks for all the updates lads, no matter what the naysayers say it’s nice to have the fires of hope fuelled to bring a bounce to your step!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Damn it the bus ran over my foot!

I can just picture Rafa, after running the same video on repeat for several hours, saying.

“OK Matt say this out slowly after me, I………….. must……………….track …………the……………full……………back…………back.

Matt after doing this for around 50 times excuses himself to visit the Loo and stands banging his head against the netty door.

Then goes back to listen to Rafa (very patiently) doing the same to the rest of the players in turn.

Mysteriously most of them have similar head injuries!!

9 Hours 55 Minutes to KO

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM

By a lot of peoples criteria it seems that everybody with a different opinion is a Dickhead.

That’s how people are I’m afraid and we just have to live with it.

• Ianyd

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Mate the amount of cry baby/girly fighting on this blog man. Same people all the time. Ruin it for everyone. This blog isn’t Facebook, go fight your petty arguments there please.

• jackostoon

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I agree kidda, but it’s the way they go about it that winds me up, that’s why I rarely post, can’t do with keyboard warriors, I’m old school I’m afraid, might post in another 6 months or so lol, but I’m off to do my chores because the only person that I’m scared of, the wife, won’t be happy if I don’t, hopefully things will come to fruition soon regarding our club and we’ll all be happy, well most of us.

• posada

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:07 AM

No bother Jacko
    I never get upset about what folks say on here.
    I always take into account that all sorts come on.

Even those people I avoid at away games.
    The ones that wear grey jogging bottoms, white trainers and a shell suit top.
    The top has 2 months worth of curry/gravy stains on it.
    They chuck beer about for no particular reason.
    Your probably one of them.

• beefman13

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM

He needs to try and not turn his back on the ball, would have fined him a weeks wages for what he did against Leicester last week when the ball deflected of his butt in to the goal.