Benitez Talks Openly About January Transfer Window

Rafa Benitez and Lee Charnley had their well-publicized transfer meeting on Thursday and from what we can tell it went well with both men seemingly on the same wavelength.

This will be another crucial transfer window for Newcastle just as it was two years ago when we were also struggling with relegation.

Rafa should get up to £30M to spend in January, and he has worked with his recruitment team to identify targets for next month.

Rafa Benitez – when he first arrived on March 11th, 2016

Here’s what Rafa has said about his meeting with Lee Charnley, who is currently the Managing Director at Newcastle:

“I have an idea,” “I express my idea, and Lee knows what I think.”

“We have to do the best for the team now, and what’s best for the team is best for the club, that’s it.”

“We have some names, we have quite a lot, but that’s normal because sometimes the clubs do not want to sell, or they do not want to come.”

“But now we have to start to see what we can afford because we need this, we need that. We need something, experience or something different, and we know that.

“We have to try to bring the best players possible for us now. That means if you have a player on loan, who is quite good, then we have to do it.”

“There are not too many options with Premier League experience, with the maximum level and right personality, so it is not easy, but you have to do your research everywhere.”

How Will Newcastle Fare At Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• AncientC

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Somebody mentioned buying Benteke. Not the worst idea. Benteke kept a terrible Villa side in the PL for a few seasons. Hodgson would perhaps take the Ginger ‘Pirlo’ (his words) in part-exchange.

• Jib

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM

• G

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Benteke isn’t a bad shout. Not sure if they would sell to a relegation rval tho.

• c-dog

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:44 AM

“If Rafa is not backed in the January transfer market, we will quickly become favorites to be relegated.” Surely favorites already. Strike, 10, holding midfielder and left back desperately needed. Not looking forward to today.

• DubaiMicky

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM

@AncientC I should have added “In my (and pretty much everyone I know regardless of race or ethnicity) experience”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM

It quite hilarious watching Curly and Larry interact! Wonder when Moe will be on!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Toontaff…I know you like your drink! It’s common knowledge on here!

…just stay off the cheap cider Jib drinks!

• Nufc-83

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Defo would take benteke.

Gimps your side was the same as mine apart from Mbemba in place of Dummett as I can’t see him being tossed straight back into line up. I had Aarons in place of Murphy as I really like Aarons and he deserves a chance to shine like he has in the past.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:01 AM

With 30m being the figure bandied about we won’t get much change after buying a decent striker but I think it’s so important to bring in a keeper. The last couple of games I’ve seen with Darlow he looks like his confidence is shattered which is understandable given how he lost his place and the club doing their utmost to get rid in the summer. Elliot is a good back up at best and I think a commanding goalkeeper to help ease the pressure on Lascelles is a very high priority.

We also need to go back to basics, the back 4 that started the season so well has been broken up, since Lejuene has came back in we look more vulnerable at the back and not picked up many points. Also Yedlin is an absolute liability in the back 4… Good direct pacy player but absolutely not a defender!

• Ian Toon

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Repeat Post:

Jimmy – It’s bad enough listening to it on TMS without your interventions on here. The Aussies are flat track/ hard pitch bullies. We have an excellent record “ower here”.

Loyalty to a football fan can override all other considerations. Even Jim Illey who I believe was a midfielder in the 1960’s but is now writing on here and managing to just fall short of abusing all and sundry. Maybe he didn’t get a testimonial which used to be all the rage I’m told. The vast majority of Newcastle fans have always fallen short of protesting in any meaningful way it’s just not in our DNA. Even the Ashley protests were as weak as dishwater because watching the toon is a way of life for the many – not the few.

My last shirt purchase had Cabaye on the back. I’ve always favoured the silky skilled midfielder types with a great range of passing – just recall how many goals he made for Cisse. Well, playing Arsenal today reminds me of their bid for him and his obvious desire to join them. The bid was too low and instead they spent £40 million on Ozil. Forgetting the relative cost on reflection he would have been my choice as well. Anyway Cabaye didn’t play for a few matches but on his return as a sub a section of the SJP crowd booed him. This made no sense because Cabaye was always capable of a chance creating pass; though I did consign my shirt to the draw.

I have never booed any of our players but the sentiment is understandable. Refusing to play as well as being disloyal is also unprofessional. Not playing him again would have made no sense because he was highly effective. One of his last games for us at West Ham and the goals I recall as if it was yesterday.

Diame, is not the same type of player with the passing skills of Yohan but booing any player does not help their or the team’s performance. With a limited squad and a crowded schedule we often don’t have many alternative options. I wil be at the Emirates today and the only booing I will be doing in support of the toon army will be directed at the all year round pantomime villain Mike Ashley. I go in hope but not expectation after all that’s what a fan does. As a kid when I personally thought we hadn’t a hope in hell of getting anything my dad would always say I think we’ll get a point.

• fog on the tyne

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Desperate for a left back as i dont see any long term future for Dummett after this season, rafa like to have forward thinking full backs and i dont see how this is going to help us. My personal choice for a new left back would be erik pieters, strong and more defensive.

In to midfield i’d go for Wilshere, i think you’d get him for a reasonable price say £10m. After that i’d try for Walcott purely for his pace, again i think you’d get him for less than £15m. I know these are both players probably out of our reach ATM, but if this takeover is happening i’m sure that and Rafa can turn their heads.

For up front i’d go all out for Sturridge, he will be desperate to go to the world cup and his prospects at liverpool look slim with whats in front of him. He’s the type of player who would thrive on our type of play, and always raises his game when he feels the crowd behind him. I teckon he could be funded by the probable sales Rafa has lined up, mitro and colback, £15-20m combined, throw in to that get shot of Diame and you’ve a large chunk of £25m ish.

• Slank

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:37 AM

fog on the tyne,

Wilshire, Walcot and Sturridge would be good shouts, especially Wilshire.

However, why would these three players who could be selected for the World Cup risk their futures with a team in relegation trouble ?

Possibly only if they are mercenaries who value money higher than playing. Wilshire and Sturridge appear to carry baggage, that’s the risk.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Do you not think after the he world cup Sturbridge will be picking and choosing his availability… A good player but I doubt the desire is there after his injury troubles… A luxury we cannot afford in my opinion.

I have a preference for one of those Belgian strikers (batshuayi or benteke) being brought in as there is good competition for the front spots in the Belgian side and these are players with desire to get to the world cup and the competition to get into the Belgian national side is enough of a carrot on a stick to get performances to the end of the season.

• c-dog

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Wonder would anyone be interested I. Josiére

• beermonkey

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM

none of them are getting much game time and none will go to the world cup as it stands

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Sorry I put that to Ian but it was fog who mentioned it… Apologies!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Sure C-dog…remember you cannot put any real thought in stats or a players CV!

He’ll be like a new player with the slate wiped clean! And especially if the buying club have a WC manager like us Joselu will be a tremendous buy for any mid table PL club!

…just ask anyone who thought McClaren was a great appointment as well 😉

• catchy in norway

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Catch 22, we need premiership proven players many of the Rafa backers have been saying, not enough quality in the squad they say. Good luck with 30mil buying players from premiership clubs, everyone is massively overpriced and throw in the fact any team from 10 down could potentially go down, they will want to keep there players or make you pay silly money.
    buy good players from the lower division, and wow according to those same fans backing Rafa use the argument he is being given scraps to work with.
    buy cheaper players from france or holland, are they really good enough, will it take time to get up to speed and again those Rafa clappers will use the cheap imports to slate Ashley.

realistically we need a GK, RBLB, No10 and a no 9. and thats just to stay im the league and all players need to hit the ground running

• DubaiMicky

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Thing is, if the takeover goes ahead, the prices for all the players will go up (as it will be perceived that we are “rich”).

So, maybe the cash will go into the Toon via Ashley for us to buy the players we need, and then on Feb 1st the takeover actually happens.

I don’t think that’s a bad idea really.

• Ian Toon

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Lascelles- can I respond anyway!
    If we can’t get as much as a dead moth out of Ashley’s wallet I would get players in on loan which as you suggest this window could be common place.
    In any event I like the look of Batshuayi who appears strong has excellent pace and movement both on and off the ball. Looks an impact player as well which is something we desperately need when opposition players are tiring. Merino would love his movement which I thought was lacking in the second half against Everton.

• geordie157

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Striker wise, i’d be more than happy with either Benteke, Batshuayi, Sturridge or Torres. Worst case Ings is surely at least an upgrade on Joselu.

Would love to see Wilshere play for us, injury prone yes but a top player if he can stay fit.

I joked a while back saying if the takeover happens, go and get Barkley and build the team round him in the no.10 position. I may have made a Gazza comparision too…bit OTT i know but genuinely think he could thrive for us and be loved by the fans.

After seeing Darlow’s recent howlers, do believe a keeper is a must now this window too. Not sure who we could get, always thought Alex McCarthy was a good keeper but he can’t get a game with Forster as no.1.

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Guess I’ll refrain from posting the news I’ve received this morning. Seeing as though the likes of Manxpie and Posaddo or is it his other name yorkymag seem to think I’m just making shite up.

I’m only passing on the info I’ve received. All you have to do is believe it or don’t believe but no. You have to try and belittle and ridicule people and revert to name calling and so on and so forth.

Manx, Posaddo. If you would like to discuss this over a pint at the next home game. Amicably that is. I’ll be more than happy to talk it over face to face.

• Wayayman

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:07 AM

C’mon Shire man, There’s a lot more of us who will happily read what you have to say – and for some of us we need the positivity before we spank Arsenal. Besides, we’re all at liberty to believe whatever we like. Ignore the haters.

• Wayayman

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:08 AM

In other words: Spill it! 😉

• lochinvar

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Can’t see £30m going far when you consider the scale of the need we have to secure Premier League status.

Strikers plural are needed. Two at least.
    Can we afford Moussa Dembele who wants away from Celtic ? Or even Leigh Griffiths who’s now warming the bench at Celtic and must be hungry to prove himself. Who else is out there ? Cen Tosan will take our whole budget.

Rafa needs to find a seriously good keeper – an experienced keeper who can talk no shout at the beck four and be a presence for the team and command the box.

There is nowhere to hide now so Ashley or Amanda and Charnley and Rafa need to take very positive action,

• simon376

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Yeah Shire, most of us love reading what you hear and just hope your mate who tells you is right, so please tell us to keep us going on this cold day while we wait for the match

• midweek weekend

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Yeah spill the beans shire, so many people like me who don’t post often but regularly read the blog really appreciate all you ITK guys share it really keeps morale up at a difficult time for the club, don’t let a few negative people get you down

• DubaiMicky

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Have just read this excellent post on Newcastle United Times on FB. I thought it worth sharing, apparently it was posted on a Toon forum, dunno which one mind you.

While Rafa isn’t or shouldn’t be immune to criticism, he should get a free pass this season regardless of what happens. Had he left us after the Spurs game, the club would have imploded and there would have been no promotion, only a lifeless club with Ashley still the owner, existing in the Championship or beyond as just another former PL club like so many.

Thanks to Rafa, however, we are now a Premier League club having stayed on to take us back up which he achieved at the first time of asking, as Champions. Here was a CL winner, one of the best coaches in the world, staying at a Championship club that he owed nothing to. A club that was badly broken after a decade of total mismanagement and neglect on and off the pitch.

He stayed because he loves the club and us fans, he wanted to help us in the way KK did when he returned from his Spanish exile to help us avoid relegation to the the then 3rd tier of English football.

And boy has he helped us…

We are now on the verge of being taken over which Rafa has been massively instrumental in helping achieve. And that’s before you get into what he has done behind the scenes in uniting the fans, reconnecting the fans to the players, working with the community and building bridges between the media and the club and City itself from the local council to local businesses, all of who, wanted nowt to do with the club and rightly so because it was toxic to everything and everyone.

Yes we are not playing well and yes our run of form isn’t good enough, but he is no Pardew, McClaren or Carver. This isn’t some kind of regular run for him, in fact it’s a first for him. Everything he has done for our club, it’s us who owe him so much and as fans the least we can give him is our 100% support and backing.

If we go down, Rafa will have to share some of the blame, but he won’t get any stick from me because if we do go down, it won’t be because he’s a crap manager like Pardew or because he’s negative or dumb when it comes to tactics or anything like that. It will be because once again the owner will have gambled on the one thing he loves more than anything – cheap tat which is basically what our squad is full of.

He thought because he had Rafa we would stay up on the cheap and has once again gambled with the club’s fortunes by being a tight b****** just like he had been last January when he failed to back Rafa to really cement our position at the top and guaranteed promotion. Because he thought in his wisdom we were already up.

The players Rafa wanted in January were for the PL and the players he wanted in the summer were to help establish us back in the top-flight. He wasn’t backed, however, and lo and behold a Championship team is struggling in a league of Premier League teams. Who would have guesssed…

If we do gown and I now think it’s a real,possibility even with a takeover and some spending in January (damage done/little too late) I won’t be thinking any less of Rafa as a manager or as NUFC manager. As a man, well, he’s a modern day saint in an industry full of rouges, cowards, charlatans and down right scumbags. We should know, we’ve employed enough of them in the boardroom, dugout and on the pitch…

For me, he is the man and my Christmas wish for all of us is that he can keep us up and once the takeover happens, be allowed to rebuild the club as he sees fit because if he is backed fully, there is no limit to what we can achieve with Rafa. His CV alone speaks for that, then add in the kind of man he is and the love and ambition and more important the belief he has for our club and well, that’s a recipe for success in my book.

Remember when we were relegated? One man believed in the club enough to put his hard earned and well deserved reputation on the line to help us when no-one else would have, no one. I get the criticism of our football, team lineups, substitutions, player purchases etc. because I’ve been critical, but I will never get any notion of wanting to replace the man even if by March we were rooted to the bottom of the table.

He joined a sinking ship and is currently trying to keep that ship afloat with plaster bands while the fat owner pokes more holes into it, if it goes down, we go down with him, not against him.

• YoungMag :P

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Forget about them man.

Share 🙂 most of us are grateful.

• Vask

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM

If you tell us I’ll give you a +1heart am sure others would too…

• SecretSausage

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Shire, Ive already given details of what Ive been told. So come on give it to us.
    I also got a text from a mate the other day saying he heard it was definately the Saudi’s.

• SecretSausage

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM

hurry up i cant sit here refreshing all day

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM

I’ve asked if it’s safe to share before I post anything. As he’s no small fish. The other guy I know gets little bits right but then things keep changing once they leave his hands

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM

This is the first bit of info I’ve received from this guy. Since the news on the Monday after the Man Utd game. That he told me about the week before. About the bid being submitted

• Lindisfarne

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I mentioned Benteke the other day and it actually crossed my mind that Palace might do a straight swap for Mitro. If they took Colback instead, or included, that maybe even better.

• G

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Shire I’m listening mate.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Can you write in English!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Got a feeling that Rafa might spring a couple of surprises today, so in my attempt to second guess him I’m going for.

Mbemba Lascelles Clarke Manquillo

Hayden Merino

Ritchie Perez Atzu

A tight 1-0 to us

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM

3 Hours 12 Minutes to KO

• PureGeordie

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM

At least say shire if it’s positive or negative..there’s people’s weekends depending on this news ?

1 2 3 5