Alan Shearer Reveals The Havoc Caused By Mike Ashley Last Summer

Some evidence today on why Rafa Benitez was so annoyed at Mike Ashley in the summer.

Alan Shearer revealed on Match of the Day last night that Rafa had two strikers all lined up to come in over the summer but the deals were then pulled at the last moment.

Rafa was left with little money available to get a striker in –  and he eventually brought in Spanish striker Joselu for £5M.

The two strikers Shearer talked about were Tammy Abraham and Javier Hernandez and we know all about the Abraham saga of last summer.

We were also linked with Javier Hernandez during the summer but it was not reported we were so close to signing the player.

That would have given us two good strikers and we wouldn’t be in the position we are in today when we find it hard to score goals.

That’s apart from yesterday when we smashed in three to win 3-2 at West Ham.

Mike Ashley – caused havoc in the summer by his thriftiness

This is evidence of the havoc and chaos Mike Ashley brings to the club.

The current owner has always preferred a good-looking bank account to spending Newcastle’s money to strengthen the squad.

This is what Alan said about Rafa on BBC’s Match of the Day last night:

“He’s doing a very, very good job. It was always going to be a struggle.”

“He wanted to bring players in.” “I know he had Javier Hernandez and Tammy Abraham ready to come in.”

“Those deals were pulled at the last minute which is why, with 10 days or so to go, he had to spend £5m on Joselu to bring another body in.”

Abraham could have been a terrific loan signing for us but Hernandez has been struggling with a hamstring injury which is why he didn’t play against us yesterday.

It shows you how stubborn and unpredictable Mike Ashley is and how he is completely unsuited to be the owner of a football club.

After we put in a good performance and win yesterday at the London Stadium, hopefully, Ms. Staveley and her PCP Capital Partners Group will try to push the takeover deal through quickly and get Mike Ashley out of the club.

What do you think?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• expatmag

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Fair comment by Shearer but neither player has “pulled up any tree stumps” at Swansea or WHU.

• hibbit

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:10 AM

just shows though deals in place and Ashley pull the plug at the last minute then it’s a mad dash to fill the shirt from what’s left available

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:13 AM

They might have under Rafa. I wouldn’t mind either now.

• geordiemark

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:15 AM

well that’s just typical of Ashley isn’t it, he must have bought shares in other companies with the clubs money, must have thought ohh sod them lets increase my empire

• DubaiMicky

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself, and still leaping around like a man possessed after last night, however, just think we beat Mansour’s Citeh – what will that do to the takeover? UAE -v- Saudi power grab.

• geordiemark

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:17 AM

DubaiMicky

aye would do it a power off good, I am still going 2-0 to the toon v man city

• Lindisfarne

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Shearer kicks Neil Lennon in head.

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Dubai Mikey… Was thinking that myself, I wonder will Mandy turn up.

• DubaiMicky

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Can’t see her attending ledgey, but hey, who knows, this is The Toon, we never do things normally.

• sparky55

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:27 AM

The fat slug just never learns when it comes to NUFC

He may will be a very very successful billionaire businessman but when it comes to running a football club then he’s a proper dullard….never learns…never sees the bigger picture…never sees the bleeding obvious and despises investing in decent players because he’s worried he may not get a return on his investment.

I think it’s down to his retail background…you buy stock, you put in a shop and you sell it but that don’t work in the world of football.

Successful businessmen in the manufacturing sectors understand about investing in long term assets like plant and machinery…but Mickey boy just didn’t get it but at least he’s going and things will change. 🙂 🙂

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:30 AM

Dubaimicky..thats for sure !

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Nothing surprises me wit fat ash, I said a while back I was drinking with Joey Barton at a wedding in wexford in Ireland and the things he told us about Ashley and lambassie (excuse the spelling) if half was through my god what a filing idiot fat ash is

• Munster Mag

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Would be great to get something off City, a real advert for the club. It will be interesting to see how rafa wants us to play for the rest of the season. I’m not sure any of us know what we are in terms of style etc. I think he would like us to be like Leicester – pacy counter attacking team, as he does not seem to go for the modern High press. All we know is that ‘compact’ is his big thing but the dogs were off the leash on the counter attack yesterday. Not sure if we will continue that way though :(. Hope so as it will allow him to make us defensively solid but explosive on the break. Delighted for saivet.

• jackostoon

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Morning folks and what a beautiful morning it is too, it’s always good to ignore the blog on a match day and then read the comments that were made before a ball has even been kicked, especially after a win, priceless lol.
    Merry Christmas to you all and hopefully a prosperous New Year to everyone connected with NUFC, even the Grinches.

• AncientC

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Imagine Lee Charnley talking to Javier Hernandez’ agent… that wouldn’t have been a drawn out affair. Lee Charnley finds out that West Ham are interested, and like a skittish colt, bolts and is never seen again.

• Jib

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:35 AM

I find it strange that people are baffled by
    the change in the players attitude yesterday.

I think it’s obvious.

Rafa didn’t have to motivate that team in London
    just remind them that we have been taken over.
    There is serious money coming in to the club
    with all that means in terms of new wage structures
    and all players are in with a shout.
    Take Saivet – he was playing for a contract renewal next June.

And btw Merino and others having knocks is bollix
    you can see them in the pics I posted of training on
    Friday morning they are training with the rest.

Rafa the sly fox is going to go all out for the win
    vs Man City to please our new owners

Expect a humdinger on Wednesday
    SJP will be throbbing
    We’ll show the Blue Moonies and their owners what
    proper support is.
    expect a cracker

• Bambams

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Shearer never pauses to let all know how bad Ashley is, I often wonder if Ash leaves would Al get a role at the club – striker coach ?

He and Rafa get along well and I am sure their well publicised meeting one of the scribes touched on a role for Al that Rafa didn’t rule out.

I thing Bas and Cenk could learn a lot from Al…..

Have a good one

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:40 AM

sparky55,
    It just baffles me why it took people so long to realise how bad he is for the club. It was obvious after the way he carried on with KK. It was blindingly obvious after that season we finished fifth his ambition for the club. Why oh why would you deliberately target tenth or less after finishing fifth.

• Munster Mag

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Ledge nice one, does Barton have Irish connections? Any stories ré Fats? Ah go on… 🙂

• toontaff2

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Come on Jesper/Jasper/Jester – I’m allowed a celebratory drink after that win, that you did not predict! Merry Christmas, Jesper 😉

• G

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM

After yesterdays performance I wouldn’t be upset if Saivet kept his place. I was cursing him for his scuffed pass leading to their first goal, but he certainly made amends.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:44 AM

I don’t get this bit about the shackles being taken off either. We just happened to click yesterday and West Ham didn’t offer much going forward.
    And I definitely don’t buy this idea that if we go 1-0 up early we decide to put ten men behind the ball and try to defend for 90 minutes. It’s a myth put forward by captain catchy and his lemon crew associates.

• Jib

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Ancient it may just be me
    but I find your snidey bitchiness
    about NUFC’s CEO entirely
    inappropriate this morning
    after a famous victory.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:51 AM

“”To say we have to play a certain way, or try to, every game is great in theory, but depending what players you have got you have to play to their strengths and cover up their weaknesses.””

When I read this in the interview with Allardyce it made me wonder about Rafa who has seemed to dictate a style of play, especially in the latter part of the Championship, despite not having the players that can carry it through. However more recently he has changed the tactics, starting formation and players and I would imagine with the oppositions strengths and weaknesses in mind.

It is great to finally have a win after so many games going against us from mistakes and it certainly inspires confidence ahead of the leagues top team, although predicting anything other than a loss is only inspirational. One good performance does not make us world beaters but I am sure looking forward to watching us giving it a good go, cheering on the lads (whoever plays) and not giving up my support.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:52 AM

They missed Noble and Lanzini

• Lindisfarne

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Diame and Saviets performances should give Hayden, Shelvey and Merino a good kick of motivation.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM

This blog is really going to the dogs!

• AncientC

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Lindis, Next Post >

^_^

• DubaiMicky

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:02 AM

I used to love a night out at the dogs, Gosforth Greyhound Stadium until it was pulled down in the late 80s, then the one near Byker/Walker.

Mental nights.

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:20 AM

No Munster he was over here play golf in rosslare ,staying in a hotel in wexford. Sound Lad had a lot of time for Newcastle but absolutely no time for Ashley ,collncini, Derek or shearer. Had a bit of a heated debate about wor Al Joey gets a bit big ballsy with drink in em but nice lad all round

• the ledge

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Munster.. What part of Ireland you from? Not to many of us too army lads over here .

• Munster Mag

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Ledge, I’m from limerick. Long time munster rugby fan too, hence the name. Longer time toon fan!!

• OneAlanShearer

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM

I think any of the signings rafa made would have improved and improved us.
    Have to hope sale takes place full stop and not pulled by Ashley.
    When he leaves we move forward. Until then we go backwards.
    Anyone thinking rafa is the problem is an absolute idiot. We had injured key players. We had terrible luck.
    Yesterday shows what rafa and the lads can do.
    I have never been more proud of the unity they show in the face of adversity. That adversity starts at the feet of Mike Ashley who has hamstrung this club since he bought it.
    Here’s to brighter times. Have a great Christmas everyone.

• Dive46

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Anyone remember me commenting before? Nah, I don’t either. I read the blog a lot and get a lot out of it, but some references are just so obscure I hesitate. People are referred to by a nickname I cannot yet attach to the member. Never mind, things will improve – just as they will in the Premier League table – I feel that in my bones. NU will not finish lower than 15th.
    A couple of identifiers. I am David aka Dive and I am Essex born and bred (aside from 2 years in Jakarta, where I skinned my knee trying to play rugby on sun-baked mud). I became a Magpies addict at the age of 8, on 26th October 1946. Can anyone explain how that might have been caused! :)? FA Cup success soon followed and I was hooked. Still am.
    I share something very important with Ed and its initials are PC. Guesses welcome.
    n