Benitez On Manchester City Game – Anything Is Possible In Football

Tonight we have one of the toughest games of the season when Newcastle will meet runaway Premier League leaders Manchester City.

As well as easily reaching the group stages of the Champions League under manager Pep Guardiola this season they have won 18 of their 19 league games and drew the other one at home to Everton 1-1.

They have won their last 17 league games in a row, and there will be a huge worldwide TV audience for this one Premier League game tonight.

Newcastle, therefore, have a great chance to stop City’s winning run and raise our image on the world stage.

Pepe Guardiola – Manchester City manager

It will be very very difficult to get anything out of the game tonight, but not impossible.

This is what Rafa has said in the Mirror about this game and whether the City team could be the best team ever in the Premier League:

“You can prepare the best tactics in the world and you can still lose. The majority of the games it depends on the players.

“They make the difference. We will try obviously to enjoy a couple of days and prepare in the best way possible. It’s difficult but we will see.”

“Anything is possible. We will try to do it for sure.”

“I know him and I know people in his staff – Rodolpho Borrell and Lorenzo Buenaventura. They were in my staff in Liverpool.”

“It’s too early to say if they are the best Premier League team ever. We will have to see at the end of the season.”

“If they continue winning and playing well, people will be talking about that.”

“But the main thing is to be consistent for years, not just to win one or two years.”

After the games yesterday we remain in15th place, but we are now just one point above the drop zone.

16Crystal Palace31-1830

It would be good to get something out of the game tonight.

And then we have Brighton at home on Saturday and Stoke away on New Year’s Day before we meet Luton at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:20 AM

“But the main thing is to be consistent for years,
    not just to win one or two years.”

a bit of a pop at Zidane perhaps?

• toontaff2

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM

W’Udders9, Mumbles Bay, after the 5-0 trouncing, having missed the trawler

• DubaiMicky

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM

rp (the bus moved on)

@ munster, nothing new to add, it’s all very quiet over here, as a quick recap 4+ weeks back I heard it was MBS, MAF and a Kuwaiti at first, then that morphed into MBS on his own. They’re not arguing over £50m, it’s more what are they getting for their money (land ownership especially – who owns what (Strawberry Car Park, Benton Training Ground etc – yes Mike does, but did he internally transfer it out of SJP and is it now under a separate company?) etc, proper delve in very deep due diligence (Ashley didn’t do it). Also something to do with tax liabilities for the year ending on 31/Dec on Ashley’s side.
    I’m just taking it a game at a time, I may have some more info after tonight’s game if the people I think will turn up, or, if they’re working tomorrow they may not, ko is 23.45 here and most people start work at 7am)..

Anything I find out I’ll share.

• toontaff2

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM

JIb, maybe a tribute to his recent predecessors at SJP 😉

• DubaiMicky

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Interesting comment from The Gaffer:-

Kinda suggests he really wants to be here for the long term (again).

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Up early with the nosie next door anyway would lv a draw tonight but if we do get beat i hope lads show some fight, my get to see some of the match but for now going to catch some sun.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM

There are people who would delight in ruining the blog and they come on in many guises to dismiss talk of multiples and name individual bloggers in the quest to combat bullying.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:37 AM

I had to sleep in preference to Munsters repetitious protests that he’s not being heard properly. As if.

I think he doesn’t get that there’s no end product for his criticism except to cultivate a groundswell of opinion against the best employee the club has hired for some considerable time.

• Chas

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:38 AM

I enjoy reading the blog and have done for a few years.
    I did like reading Bobby B and his passion for the team we all love. Many others no longer post .

• jazzyp

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:39 AM

I hope so mate. If the Takeover does happen we could become a real force in Europe , So where better place to ply your trade than here at Nufc.
    I personally think Rafa has been working with one hand tied behind his back since day one with the Squad, Broken promises, limited funds.. the list goes on.
    If he could acquire and build a team for the future then I see no reason for him wanting to leave

• Lindisfarne

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM

I do not believe that when Rafa suggested transfers should be done by the 15-20th of January that was implying he would walk if not and this article supports this conclusion. Getting new players in and integrated quickly is important and was the only meaning in these earlier reports.

• Bobbybee

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Dunno about anybody else, but I for one am looking forward to the game tonight. Not expecting much out of it, but this City team is worth watching any time. And who knows, after a great win at West Ham maybe a draw might just be possible. Possible, if unlikely. 🙂
    Would it not be just typical of us to surprise the world after such a dismal run? Stranger things have happened and I am the eternal optimist after all.
    Avoiding a humiliation has to be the priority though and looking to build on the West Ham result on Saturday against Brighton.
    Going to be a tough game and one we spend most of the game defending against a rampant City, but it has to be said they can be vulnerable and we need to be looking to Atsu to try and catch them on the break.
    In all seriousness I’ll take a narrow defeat and snatch your hand off for a point right now, but will turn up more in hope than expectation. All I ask for in honesty is the lads giving it 100% effort and see where that takes us.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:51 AM

“Chas” is it?

Show me the statistical that proves “many others no longer post”.

I also enjoyed bobby’s passion and nufc-related posts, very informative.

It was just his paranoid angry ranting that unpicked him. He did that all by himself. He has obviously found a public forum not the best place to go if you don’t like your opinion challenged.

If that’s your problem, sayonara.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:51 AM

• Chas

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Move on mate unless you really just want to morph into Jail. Your much better than that and I don’t have a problem with telling it as you see it!
    Welcome back. Hope we don’t sit back as so many do against City.
    Let’s have a very strong midfield and pace in wide areas.

• Chas

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:13 AM

No stats. I read the blog. Lilongwe, iantoon, murvar, magscar,BandB,Markcus and Countless others. To name just some who don’t post or post rarely these days. More football and less of the keyboard warrior in fighting.