Christian Atsu – Epitomizes The New Newcastle Player Under Benitez

Christian Atsu is turning out to be a good buy for just £6M from Chelsea last summer, and he had an excellent game on Saturday at the London Stadium and was easily our Man of the Match.

Atsu had an assist and scored a goal on our two excellent breakaway goals in the second half.

Christian is a religious man and a very good man and when he is interviewed he always talks about the team and what’s important for the team.

Rafa Benitez has quickly instilled in a short 21 months a tremendous team spirit at Newcastle, and this team never gives up.

Just like their manager never gives up; they reflect the manager’s personality.

Christian Atsu – in action at West Ham

Chrisitan was asked if he was pleased with his own (excellent) performance on Saturday and this is what the 25-year-old said:

“Not personally, but as a team, because everyone worked really hard and gave everything.”

“We wanted to win because we knew what was at stake. We fought so hard to get this win, and I’m very happy.”

“I’m very happy, always, when I do something to help the club,”

“That’s my job. There’s nothing to congratulate myself about, but I’m happy for the team and my colleagues.”

“Once again we’re happy.”

“We had a very difficult run,”

“It was nine games without a win. That was really hard and difficult for all the players.

“But West Ham showed that we’re mentally strong in every single situation and that we can also turn things around in every single situation.”

“We have Man City,” “We have to shift our focus. It’s a massive game, so we’re concentrating on that.”

Newcastle really have nothing to lose tonight against league leaders Manchester City.

The lads will be welcomed home and roared on by a relieved 52,000 fans at St Jame’s Park after our excellent away win on Saturday against a relegation contender.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM

I like Atsu as a player he has added a work rate which he was not particularly well know for just needs to add a more consistent end product week in week out !

His nutmeg on Zabaleta and then pass for Diame was sublime

• Klatoon

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM

C’mon Ed, you credit the goal and assist but forget the Penalty tip to Elliot about Ayew? 🙂

• Munster Mag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Good post Ed, that’s one of the major differences under rafa. There is great unity and effort. Jazzy I’d love to see mitro come on and rattle city but think he is injured? Re Atsu, hopefully we can get more speedsters like him if we get proper owners. I’d love to see pacey players like him, Andre gray and Jamie vardy types at nufc, schooled by rafa in terms of defensive shape and then hitting on the break like we did at West ham.

• magpie6699

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Tonight’s game is a freebie and it’s the next 3 games that we must get 6-9 points from. My wish for tonight is as follows:
    1. No injuries (for us)
    2. No red cards (for us)
    3. Play well
    4. No excessive damage to our goal difference (-3 or less)
    Not a lot to ask!

• Munster Mag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Lee, I thought the pass was better than the nutmeg! Coolness personified. As an aside, have we ever had a pacier player and nufc than Yedlin? Didn’t we have Franz carr for a while? I can’t remember a faster guy than Yedlin? Any other speedsters?

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Low hanging fruit now Munster?

Irritated to the point of insult now?

Pandering to the obvious mischief of a sudden “long time reader, first and last time poster”?

Covering yourself in glory

And how did Bobby “bomb” me? I thought he just made a sensible, game related post. Youre a bit of a curmudgeon when nobody agrees with you aren’t you?

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Munster

The likes of Dyer and Gillespie were quick as well as a very young Geoff Allen and Tony Green

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM

JIB

Live here in Australia on Optus at 6.45am tomorrow morning

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:22 AM

TSUNKI

I dont think Munster realises that Bobby accused you of stalking him mate

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:22 AM

While all the serial whiners bang on about our concurrent losses and the doom and gloom to result, I suppose the fiery test of this league can produce a high learning curve for those players willing to apply themselves and improve.

Tests like today will certainly expose weaknesses, bit also indicate where some have come of age.

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:23 AM

By the way the ref is
    Andre Marriner
    who permitted the Kane
    scissor tackle and someone got kicked
    in the mush as well I seem to remember

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Expat – that’s because I don’t think Munster follows threads except for where he might have been mentioned 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Mbemba

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Expat I missed a few out
    S Africa Oz NZ Holland Norway

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM

JIB

Mbemba got kicked in the mush at Huddersfield, not at home v Spurs

• jimmysmith

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Elliot
    Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Manqillo
    Atsu Hayden Merino Murphy
    Perez
    Joselu

Be happy to see us contribute to a high quality match. That 11 will work hard, and can counter attack at pace and in numbers. Very young though, but still, it does highlight that the squad is not so much poor, as it is inexperienced. Loads of them do have real qualities and are coming along, and will continue to this term.

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM

Aye that’s right Tsunki
    It was wee Chancel

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Oh Hudders
    my bad

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Jimmy

Only change I would make is Gayle for Perez. I think the pace in this team could frighten City a bit but we need to be spot on with our closing down and going with the runners.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Hayden got stood on as well we’ve had some shocking decisions. What will happen today you wonder?

• Jib

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Marriner did send Shelvey off
    for that silly half stamp though

• jimmysmith

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Yeah, haven’t been such a big Gayle fan, in this group, and in the situation we have found ourselves in this term, but he and Joselu undeniably did better together at West Ham, and of course he’s far and away our best finisher. I’m a loyal Perez fan, and think out of all our current central attacking options, he’s the most likely to remain with us as the side evolves and improves.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM

It’s interesting to see that some of Pep’s staff were with Rafa at Liverpool. I wonder whether the coaching retinue at sjp has a full complement these days. Certainly doesn’t look as if Cathro was ever replaced.

Kimbo

Strange we didn’t see you on here when we beat West Ham to say how well Rafa and the boys did.

Chas

Plenty of those are still on here like magscar, markakkus, Ian toon / carl / Jack root and bobbybee is back too. Not really lost that many tbh and some may have re-invented themselves under other names. I think basically you have Welsh who didn’t even know we were out of the bottom 3, so whose opinion can obviously be instantly disregarded. Then Catchy who is clearly mad as a box of frogs and finally Munster who always has this not so subtle undercurrent of abuse for Rafa. However, I would say the vast majority are fairly sound people and good, knowlegeable football judges, rather than reactionary types.
    – –
    All the pressure off and england finally turn up in the ashes. Cook does nothing for ages then gets one big score to keep him in for the next 10 games.

• Novocastrian66

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Andre Marriner the ref? Well that is that then. We had little chance to start with, I would say we have no chance now with that bell end in charge. We will get nothing off him and Man City will get every decision.

• Legolas

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Welcome back Bobbybee, it’s nice to see some passion about Newcastle in posts rather than having a go at the gaffer.

Hope we do ourselves proud. Not expecting much but let’s just compete. If we catch them on a bad day we could pinch a point.

Howay the lads.

• Klatoon

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Live in Uganda too! Ritchie cant be left out, both for his closing down and composure in possession. Alot for his deadball delivery as I believe our best bet will be corners. Lascelles, Clark and Joselu can be a handful with the right delivery.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:51 AM

This is why I despair the multiple. First time poster long term reader posts just to call me out. Mentions a poster called murvar who nobody’s heard, who coincidently carp under the guise of “Ian Toon” accused me of posting under when he went through his phase of using aliases to stitch me up as a multiple, sack llambias being another one. What a very sad individual. Chas??? What a cool sounding name.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Carp carl

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:55 AM

JFA

Found it a bit strange too……does he live in Richmond?

• Chas

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Jail
    This blog isn’t all about you. Nobody cares about your obsessive meandering posts we want all things Nufc.

• Chas

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I assure you I am not one and the same Bobby B. But I wish I had his passion.
    This does serve to illustrate how the multiple nonsense starts. You get a nondescript ( what do you call a bright Australian ? A New Zealander!) kicking in off because he was shown to be an idiot by yes you’ve guessed it Bobby B.
    Anyway that’s me – thanks sing and Munster.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM

expat,
    It’s blatantly carl, nobody’s heard of murvar.
    Ian Toon

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM

People like Murvar – a senior fan who talked football and was labelled by you on your silly list and by one of your cohorts as my brother.
    Howay lads, it’s so bleeding obvious. Read murvars posts.

• lochinvar

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Just think that we need to keep them busy first half and score to make them chase the game giving us more space in behind them so Gayle poaching in the box early on makes sense to me. Saviet may still have adrenalin flowing from Saturday so would start him but Rafa may rotate so we shall see

Elliot
    Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Manqillo
    Atsu Saviet Merino Murphy
    Gayle
    Joselu

• Munster Mag

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Jeez tsunki I must have hit a nerve there about the low hanging fruit. I referenced that a couple of years ago too as I think you were boring the crap out of us all then aswell. Get a life man. If I have missed arguments on here it’s because I have other things to do but on hols now so more time. But given that a tool like you can happily accuse a fair poster of spreading muck about rafa, one wonders if it’s worth the conversation with decent fans, not keyboard warriors. I think rafa is brilliant for the club but cannot see why fans can’t disagree with decisions on here. Don’t worry, if I think any manager of nufc deserves credit or stick, I’m happy to say it. Tonight is set up for a good rafa approach and I think we will see it. My son will be beside me and daughter, singing the rafa song, picked up from their dad. Htl

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Chas is ironically another alias, we’ve seen this one before, loose command of English because its not the mother tongue, straight in with the insults and name checking. This is what drags the blog down. Not debate over managers and tactics. This childish creepy score settling mullarkey.

• Pitmatic

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM

I feel stupidly optimistic about tonight’s game. Don’t forget City’s amazing winning run has recently included consecutive 2-1 wins against Huddersfield, Southampton and West Ham, all with late winners. There’s no reason we can’t be similarly competitive.

Gayle is a big game player who has a knack of scoring against the top teams. I’ll take him to score in a 2-1 win.

• Tsunki

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Well here I thought I was being balanced about the Benitez thing and off you go on your trolley Munster

I think you are the nerve jangled one here judging by your ill tempered rants. Keep it together man, you had up until now kept a grip on looking like a sensible, if somewhat embittered, poster.

• expatmag

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM

CHAS

Unfortunately for you, your relatively weak attempts at antipodean humour or insult was embarrasing for you.

I dont rise to inanity. I find the blog a source of amusement where nutcases like you and your alto ego take such matters seriously.

• YoungMag :P

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Sigh.

Chas, the most obvious multiple ever.

I don’t even care who he is. It’s just sad.

I’m predicting a 3-3 game. Obviously an erratic scoreline but I’m excited.