Shearer Explains Rafa’s Situation: “Takeover May Already Have Happened”

Alan Shearer knows all about Mike Ashley and the mess he’s made in the 10 years since he’s been the owner of Newcastle United.

And Alan has explained the terrible situation Rafa Benitez finds himself in at the club at the moment because it’s a very difficult club to manage with the current owner.

But Rafa is the first manager who tells it like it is and his standing in the football world has allowed him to speak his mind and people listen to what he has to say.

He is fully supported by the Geordie Nation because they know if only we were on a level playing field we could do well under Rafa.

Alan Shearer – Who knows, it (takeover) may have already happened?

And Shearer even says the club may have already been sold (provisionally) and nothing said externally so the transfer fees are kept low next month.

We’ll explain later what Alan may mean by this statement.

Here’s some of what Alan has said as reported in the Chronicle today:

“He went for players in the summer who could have done that. He went for Javier Hernandez and Tammy Abraham but they were pulled so with ten days left of the window.”

“He had £5M and goes for Joselu because he desperately needs a body.”

“That’s the situation Rafa Benitez is in now with this current ownership. We all know this is a very, very difficult club to manage with the current ownership.”

“We witnessed it many times over the 10 years he’s been here.”

“Rafa is the only guy who has come out and told it like it is. Other managers have been scared or didn’t want to in fear of losing their job.”

“Another manager would have been under severe pressure – not just from the media but from the fans.”

“They would have been going mad here but we’ve heard tonight, the last minute of the game the fans are singing his name.”

“They know what he can bring to this football club and they’re hoping – just like me – that if or when the new owners come in that they back him because they have got a top manager here.”

“He’s got a Championship team and he’s trying to guide them through the Premier League.”

“In the 12 months Rafa has been here, he’s made a profit. That tells you what he’s having to do.”

“We’re all hoping that something happens. Who knows, it may have already happened?”

“I’m not saying I know anything but my guess would be if something has happened they won’t want to announce it.”

“That’s because the new owners coming in would know that going for players, they’re automatically going to go up in value under new owners.”

“If Mike Ashley’s here they know that he’s a businessman, he’ll work, he’ll haggle and he’ll try to get the players for a sensible price.”

“That’s not me saying I know something, it’s just me guessing. I hope that is the case.”

Those are some points Alan makes – all in favor of Rafa.

What Alan may be saying (or guessing) when he says “it may have already happened” is that an agreement in principle has been made between Ms. Staveley and Mike Ashley and Newcastle will now enter a period of exclusivity.

In this period Mike Ashley cannot entertain any more bids for the club and PCP Capital Partners will take another deep dive into the financials as part of their continued due diligence.

It could take about four weeks to complete this stage and by then January could be nearly over and the deal could be announced sometime in February.

We believe that’s what Alan Shearer may be saying.

What do you think?

• Dragon64

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM

we can only hope it has because we need players quickly to give them time to gel not waiting until the last hour of window???

• jazzyp

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM

I don’t think we are in a position to be able to haggle this time round. As Benitez said we need the business done early to avoid desperation come the end of the transfer window.

• jazzyp

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM

Thought the punditry was absolute shocking last night as well, Particularly a certain dickhead by the name of Gary Neville.
    Never been so wound up by the bullsh@t that was coming out of his mouth. I think he has selective memory of his time at Valencia which was such a raving success lol.
    I personally thought we gave them a game in the second half and were the stronger side towards the end< And for me we move on now rub our selves down and go again as we have a much more important match against Brighton

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:59 PM

The same theory has been mooted on the blog on many occasions, Alan, nowt new about it.

But it is a very plausible one and as many have already said Rafa probably has players already earmarked to sign.

Mind you we’ve said that before and nowts happened, this time has to be different though, surely!!

• Jib

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:59 PM

What is it with Congolese footy players ?
    We are now supposed to be chasing Rennes
    striker Firmin Mubele
    He says his age is 23 but he looks about 42 !

• Jib

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM

I had the fortunate experience of watching
    our game on NBC with Arlo White and Graham Le Saux
    commentating with Robbie Earle in the studio.
    Strangely the commentators and summarisers
    on US telly are much better than the idiots on Sky and BT.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:26 PM

You’d like to think that there’ll be no messing around this window, it’s not a case of getting the bare minimum and hope we survive as he’s already played that card. When I seen the announcement of Van Dijk last night I thought to myself why can’t we announce a couple. You’d like to think they’re already lined up. Ings and Slimani in the first 24hrs would be a huge boost.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:32 PM

A win could see us jump to 12th. Seven points from the next three is very achievable and would definitely provide a bit of breathing space till we meet Man City again.

• Munster Mag

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Jail, agree. We can’t Fanny around with a few grand here or there. It will be interesting to see if rafa insists on prem experience but I doubt he can, for fear of missing out. First up he needs a big pacy striker who can find the net. If that means most of the budget is used up, so be it. As I said before I hope he builds his side like Leicester of the last few seasons, with speed on the break being everything. That will hopefully allow him the defensive compactness he demands too. Best of both worlds

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Xmas cracker jokes are usually quite naff but this one made me chuckle.

Q. What do you give a person who has everything.

………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………

…………………………………………………

…………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………

A. Penicillin

• lochinvar

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Amanda has enjoyed her Christmas break with me but is back away on business now as in her own words ” there’s paperwork to finalise” .
    She should be back for our New Years Eve bash and may have more news then but with the holidays I think it’s a few weeks yet before we can say much more. You’re right about that Alan Shearer lad being a bit of a tease with the news but he’s a pundit so they have to have an opinion on everything, irrespective of whether or not they are in the know.

• fray bentos

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM

How can anybody be expected to work wonders when you have 5m to spend on your centre forward?!

Such a difficult job here, feel sorry for Rafa

• Bambams

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Binney

Hope that is accurate mate. Could she be giving the club 6 days to get the players (that will have already been touted) in and over the line ?

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Any players in the Swansea squad worth having?

Surely they want to save cash for the championship, plus their 5hit fans are too busy trolling other clubs than to back their own side and go to games etc.

Could pick up another bargain.

• Frank pingles come sock

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM

See comments on the tweet

It’s bull

• jazzyp

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Jail

I know what ya saying mate when you see PL teams announcing signings already, And you think to yourself.. “Here we go again”.
    Why cannot it just be us for once and announce a quick fire triple signing or maybe even more like we did January a few year ago.
    Hopefully this turns into a cracking window for us because if not, Then I do fear for our PL survival

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM

That is 12th Night.

“A belief has arisen in modern times, in some English-speaking countries, that it is unlucky to leave Christmas decorations hanging after Twelfth Night, a tradition originally attached to the festival of Candlemas (2 February), which celebrates the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple.[6] Other popular Twelfth Night customs include singing Christmas carols, chalking the door, having one’s house blessed, merrymaking, as well as attending church services. Also the removal cr^p football club owners.”

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Glade it stay at 1..0 keeps or goal difference healthy but what a boring game that was not entertainment its like going to see a band and them not sing you would want your money, lets move on to the next match and hope for a big improvement from the lads and rafa.

• Binney

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Hopefully Bambams.
    Literally have no idea what’s going on..

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Would it not be cheaper for Liverpool to buy Southampton and use them as their b team?

• Mag52

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Right tactics and selection by Rafa, boring spectacle, but hey ho now on to the serious stuff, two games against relegation rivals which we need to win.
    Mitro and Gamez still injured. Looks to me like they are being kept in good condition for January sales.

• Nufc 4ever

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Well first time i have been able to get on since getting back from game and work. Take a bow Rafa to keep us in the match until the final whistle. Forget scrathy from sweden Bladermouth or jimnotsmiley proper supporters knew the score . There full back costs more than our team and pep i wouldent play like that. Well why would you Barcelona Bayern and Man City we will never know . We could of easily gone down a place trying to go from the off
    Rafa stated the true fans knew the score so doesent include the above mentioned. well done Rafa we would have been down now with a Ashley puppet in charge

• Jib

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM

• posada

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Jimiley

Young Mag is not an NUFC Supporter.
    He is someone who follows NUFC.
    There is a difference. The clue is in the title. Supporter that is.

However, he sometimes forgets and has the cheek to have a go at persons who actually do support.
    I buy my season ticket. I went last night and supported. I clapped the lads off for making a good effort. I did not boo Diame when he came off against Everton. Was not one of the folks at that game, 15% of the crowd, getting on the players backs.
    That’s a supporter.

• bladeuser

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:34 PM

Blah blah blah blah blah
    Transfers broken record
    Takeover broken record
    We can get to 12th in the next 3 games
    Broken record
    Deluded clap trap
    Try reading a proper blog where fans discuss reality regarding there team
    Like sacking there manager as he had lost 5 on the trot and the team are playing crap
    Not losing game after game changing the team after they won one in ten then kissing rafa s arse again for losing to city
    Your excuses are as bad as his and J C and G N were spot on you just cannot face up to the truth
    There are a few on here who can see it and the rest of you cannot see past your nose
    You spout the same old drivel week in week out
    Face it just for a minute
    We are s@@@ and so far behind the top six it’s as embarrassing as most of you
    ASH OUT RAFA OUT

• posada

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Jimiley
    I like your views even if I don’t totally agree.
    You seem to be an old time Toon zelot. Nowt wrong with that. You feel that your great club should contest every game. Again, I get that.

Thing about last night is not about it being Man City.
    It is the schedule. In a couple of days we will play 2 games in 48 hours against our rivals to stay up. We could have knackered ourselves trying to beat City.

• lesh

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Ed,

Sorry but your proposition that because PCP may have exclusivity, the deal’s done. It isn’t and PCP could yet pull out if Ashley plays silly buggers – as is his won’t.

Yes, if the deal is actually finalised yet unannounced, I could see any spend apparently being made with Ashley’s money until the window’s closed.

But if it isn’t finalised, there’s still a very real chance that Ashley’ll try using his sensibly backing Rafa or not and risking relegation by spending nothing or next to nothing as a bargaining chip with PCP – we’ve seen it before so don’t discount the possibility.

Common sense and Ashley don’t necessarily go hand in hand.

• Jib

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM

bladeuser
    Were you the Mackem that shat on
    that stadium seat ?
    Therefore really making it the
    Stadium of Shite

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM

The more Man City fans I meet the more I know it’s true that the Mansours wanted to buy us first but Ashley wanted too much money. Heart breaking.

• magscar

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Couple of thoughts

I was at match and whilst I didn’t “enjoy” first 30 minutes I fully appreciated and understood them. Crowd did find it difficult to get going until we had the odd breakout but that was also understandable. Given that we have 3 games in only a few days following on from a gutsy West Ham display and with a relatively ( to others) limited squad Rafa did in my view give a Masterclass in how to frustrate the English Barcelona and stay in the game until we nearly grabbed a point. That we didn’t doesn’t bother me as the main purpose was to ensure we are in a position to profit from the next 2 games. I have witnessed managers like Alladyce Pardew and McClaren try to compete with top 4 sides with arguably better squads for us and without pressure of Christmas timetable and just above drop zone and take a hiding.

Now that is what Sky and Neville want for their audience but Rafa is responsible to us not them so tough – try seeing the bigger picture. The fact you can’t is why likes of Neville is a failed manager and others haven’t even tried it.

• Geordie-john

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Holy Shit ! I hope he’s right. Actually it sounds like it could be the reason why everything has gone quiet over the past weeks, Hence the scaremongering going on. On to better times ! Well done lads for the great fight you showed on the pitch. I can’t imagine anyone thought that it was possible to beat such an expensive team like Man City but we nearly got a point, And not a spanking like most other clubs have had so far.

• Binney

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Bladeuser enjoy League One next season you daft mackem mug don’t even mention us losing 5 in a row at home when you lot went nearly a full YEAR without winning a home game. Above huge club Burton Albion yet?

• Binney

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM

Jail.. They say good things come to those who wait…

• Jib

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM

Jail
    If the Mansours had bought us you
    would have missed the pride of
    West Denton , John Carver , managing
    us for 6 months
    😀

• Toonale tippler

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Why does Staveley have to buy now. Surely, if she waits to see what happens at the end of the season then that guarantees her supposed relegation clause. We go down, value goes down, she buys club at a reduced price. We stop up, value remains the same, she buys club. Ashley has to sell now and he will.

• Nufc 4ever

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:52 PM

Bladdermouth you spout off then say we are so far behind the top 6 and your point is please enlighten me what am i missing here

• YoungMag :P

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Posada

Lol. Okay.

Because I have never been to a game I’m not a supporter.

Hardly my fault that I was born in Yorkshire, hardly my fault that I live far away.

I could attend during present times, I have the money capable now. However that doesn’t detract from the fact that I have awful social anxiety and that I’m a full time carer for my mother. I’m planning on going next year with my brother at some point, because I really want to experience what it’s like being in St James’ Park.

And you’re wrong, I am a supporter. I have invested loads of my time in watching the team play. I have invested a lot of my time feeling hurt by what Ashley has done to our club.

So fcuk you. This club means everything to me, it’s my main source of entertainment and my main source of my time, next to my mother ofcourse.

• Online Guy

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:56 PM

Young mag

Your comments to a fellow writer on the page with 160 entries …comments…at 136 your reply to the poster your arguing with is disgusting .

Cut it out..it was filthy mouthed and brings the blog down ..scum level.

Rise above it in future

What do you think ED thinks about low life language on here ? His family probably read this and Ed could well be embarrassed.

Your post was rotten to the core.

• jazzyp

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:56 PM

British media buddies Pulis, Allardyce & co have been making a living off Playing defence minded tactics like this for years.

Benitez does it once and gets slaughtered ….

The next few games are more important than last night as we didn’t expect nothing. If we can play like we did in the second half than I think we should hopefully be collecting a nice healthy 6 points