Rafa Beneitez’ Huge Compliment For Chris Hughton – It’s Crucial Our Fans Back Us

We knew Rafa Benitez though that Chris Hughton was a good manager as do Newcastle fans after Chris brilliantly got us promoted at the first attempt with 102 points back in the 2009-2010 season.

Rafa Benitez repeated that feat last season in what was a much more competitive Championship because of the big money now available in the Premier League.

And both managers seem to like each other although once the game gets underway tomorrow at St. James’ Park it will be serious business on the touchline for both managers.

Chris Hughton – at Stamford Bridge

At Rafa’s press conference this afternoon Rafa talked about the opposing manager:

“Chris Hughton is a great person, a great manager.” He is doing a very good job. We know Brighton are dangerous.”

“My concern is to be sure that we approach the game with the belief we can win. If we win, my next press conference will be easier. If we don’t, we have to carry on.”

“The message is clear.”

“We will try to score goals tomorrow and try to play at the level we did at West Ham and when we were doing well.”

“You have to change tactics against different teams. We know what we have to do.”

“The reaction of the fans, it’s clear they know all the players are giving everything. It’s crucial we have the fans behind us.”

“You can say what you want about our fans, but they are supporting us and are trying to help the team.”

“Our fans know these players care. That is the way – stay united – and be together. Happy New Year.”

“Feliz año nuevo!”

“Feliz año nuevo – Happy New Year in Spanish of course.

We need a good win to finish off the year well – we need all 3 points tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note on comments:

Please refrain from criticizing other readers because they have the audacity to have different opinions from you.

There have been a number of complaints today about some readers and their unwelcome and inappropriate comments.

I am now forced to moderate their comments – although I wish I didn’t have to do this.

Here’s the guidance on comments for this blog – please try to help:

• Jib

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Link don’t work Jib

• Jib

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:21 PM

• posada

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:22 PM

A Rafa Clapper is a blogger who will not tolerate anything critical being said about our manager.
    Not about subs, transfers, tactics, team selection or anything else for that matter.
    There are several of the above.
    Many of the folks they have a go at have been to games, remember we have won one in ten, and comment on what they are seeing. It’s understandable that there will be some critical comments.

• Jib

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Still not working

• DubaiMicky

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Munster (last thread), read the link posted earlier today from the Guardian, Arabs always want to be seen as getting one over on their opposition, they’re really quite aggressive when it comes to it – this is why they need an intermediary (Staveley), for 2 reasons, first is that she knows how the west work so to speak (believe me, I’ve worked with Sheikh Saif (Minister of the Interior) in Abu Dhabi, it’s nothing, and I mean NOTHING like doing a deal with the UK Government for example. Secondly is, and this is why names haven’t been released, is that if for any reason it doesn’t happen, the prospective owner has a scapegoat – it was never his fault.

I ain’t in Denton anymore!

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM

3rd time lucky 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM

toon kk,
    You’re another that told us every single post that we’d get murdered in the PL without serious investment. What’s made you change your mind and expect us to be a lot better off.

• posada

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Ah Jib.
    Have you googled Kevin Nolan to see who signed him yet.

• bladeuser

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM

HIBBET
    did you get my post regarding the time I will be in the DENTON 4.30
    Will I recognise you in your black and white
    Shirt the fans I am with are work mates but they are sound lads
    A discussion we shall have and nothing more
    ASH OUT Rafa OUT

• posada

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM

I don’t agree with Frank Ping re potential buyers.
    Anyone who buys us will have big money.
    They’d need it.
    I am sure there is no one out there who would pay 300M without at least the same again to put in.

• toon kk

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Jail
    Hello, err we’re a point above the relegation zone, just in case you haven’t noticed!
    We are where I predicted we’d be and will stay without the right investment. What did you predict top 10?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:32 PM

So many of the matchday goon squad last seasonloved telling us that this team would get torn a new one from Man City or ripped apart by Chelsea, teams like Watford and Bournemouth are now miles ahead of us because of the money, without serious investment we’ll be right back down in the Championship. We didn’t get that serious investment but now it’s the managers fault for not knowing his team or his lack of man management skills. A whole list of reasons that lie with the manager, but not one of them will point back to their predictions of last season. Again I ask, what’s changed your minds?

• posada

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:34 PM

I like Bladeuser and Catchy.
    They take all the flak I used to get.

• Munster Mag

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Posada a fair explanation ré rafa support. We must be the only set of fans who shout down people who ask questions ré subs, favourites etc. Of course rafa knows more than we do, but that could be argued for any manager in the English league pretty much, who has has to build a path all the way to being a manager of a team. Yet fans can ask fair questions of them all day, but if we ask one ré rafa, we are called rafa haters who want him sacked! 🙂

• c-dog

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Tomorrow’s game is absolutely massive. Lawrenson hit the nail on the head. Player for player Brighton are stronger and they are a well structured and balanced team. The benefit of commitment from board room level to invest in a PL future being the difference. We’ll need our players on it tomorrow. If Big Mo still has any legs left he starts. Not because of his quality on the ball but because of his discipline in positioning, hard work and graft. And he epitomizes all we can do if we’re to remain in the premier league. Because the individual quality just isn’t there.

Prediction, 1-0 win with my boy Josiére with the winner.

• TyneMouth

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:38 PM

Season of Goodwill! Really?…

Just skimmed though the last 24 hours posts, some of which make very troublesome reading!

I expect to find different points of view on a sports blog, especially one addressing a specific football club. However certain posts, on this blog, are especially disturbing and particularly offensive.

I’m concerned about CfN, it would appear that this sad person is desperately in need of help. His repeated comments are a classic case of a ‘cry for help’. He needs physiological help urgently. He may have problems with dyslexia, so do many people, but claiming ‘victim’ status is no excuse for repetitive, boring, illogical offensive posts.

Bladeuser, on the other hand, is simply just a rather nasty person, (I’m being specifically polite) and, as others have commented, should be just completely ignored. Like a bad smell, he will eventually go away.

The case for a ‘thumbs down’ button is probably a much needed blog facility?

A happy new year! Here’s hoping…

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:38 PM

toon kk.
    I’ve got a bet with a lad from work we’ll finish nearer the top ten than bottom three.
    I know where we are, people said we would be there without serious investment, why are they expecting us to be higher.

• c-dog

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:40 PM

I’m pretty much paraphrasing Rafa there regarding our squad.

• toon kk

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Jail
    You need to chill marra, you are a very frustrated angry person who thinks everything is hunky dory because we have Rafa and hate to here otherwise.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Munster,
    If we all took to the various social media sites and insulted him the way you do he wouldn’t be here mate.

• Bobbybee

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Bad loser. You posted a while ago that you will never go to SJP again, even after Ashley leaves – although I have to question the ‘again’.
    So, you hate the club. You hate the manager. You hate the players and hate the fans. Fair assessment? Must be from your comments.
    So why do you even bother? You’re not a Newcastle fan, face it. Nothing is ever good enough for you and you get no pleasure out of NUFC.
    I feel exactly the same about Sunlun and only ever go there to watch the lads. So if you’re not a fan of Newcastle and never will be, have you seriously not got anything better to do than come on here insulting people? You would seriously confuse a psychologist. What do you get out of it?
    I can well believe those in the boozer are simply workmates. I can’t imagine you actually have any real friends, you’ve probably alienated anybody who even tried to be a friend.
    As somebody who hates the club with the passion you do, why do you even think those who do support the lads give a toss about your opinions anyway? Are you that lonely that this is your last resort?
    Everything you say is destructive. Not one comment on how you would like to see the club run, which makes you the absolute definition of a WUM.
    Let me take a wild guess. You’re single. Live at home. Got no life outside the pub. Bitter, twisted friendless – I actually feel sorry for you.
    Get a hobby mate. A real one. You just might start enjoying life.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM

toon kk.
    Which of my posts makes me sound angry?
    I don’t think everything’s hunky dory at all, I’ve said many times that we’re in the clarts. Had the summer have gone anywhere near how Rafa and Ashley discussed how it would we most likely would be sitting ahead of Brighton and Huddersfield.

• c-dog

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Anyone on here actually have a view on tomorrow’s game?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Bobby’s back with a vengeance 😀

• check the toastie

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:48 PM

BladeUser is now being polite regards inviting Hibbit to the Denton at 4:30.
    Blog maniac to peaceful debator, funny old stuff social media.
    Enjoy your sociable pint lads, it’s nice to make new friends. Awwwww, friends….

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:49 PM

C-dog,
    I think we’ll go at them from the off and unlike the other times we’ve gone one up we won’t give them a chance to settle. They don’t travel well, Hughtons failed to get a single point here on his return and they’re coming a long way.
    2-0 the toon.

• DubaiMicky

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM

Re tomorrow’s game, I’d like to see us start how we finished against citeh, Atsu and Diame to start, let’s work some width and pummel them from the kick off.

Thinking a 3.0 win is on the cards.

• toon kk

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Jail
    Read back through your own posts, (not today but over a period of time) you don’t like an opinion you disagree with, several posters have been called a tw@t from time to time.
    No doubt you have a great passion for our club, like a lot of us. But like I say chill.
    Rafa is a great manager but he’s also cost us points. I’m not sure he knows what his best team is or who his best player’s are.
    Joselu?

• Jib

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM

posada
    Ah Jib.
    Have you googled Kevin Nolan to see who signed him yet.

If I was the googlemeister as accused I wouldn’t have thought
    Allardyce had signed Nolan (it was Kinnear)

I’m either the googlemeister or I get stuff wrong on occasion

Make your mind up – DOH

• check the toastie

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM

There is no reason to believe that we won’t continue to be over defensive, will work hard defend and cross our fingers some bit of quality will gain us three points. If Merino plays think we win, if Diame is picked again then we lose.
    Rafa is a strange judge of footballer. It’s always restrictive football, which is currently acceptable due to having clowns in charge before him. He will keep us up hopefully.

• c-dog

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:58 PM

True but I think we’re strongest being more defensive minded and not conceding and trying to rely on goals from set pieces or the odd good counter. No need to be as defensive as the city game of course but still our first port of call should be not to concede. Not the Newcastle way some say but gaining points is the most important thing for us. And Rafa is a master defensive coach. A lot times we come out after conceding over the past few months we’ve been ripped apart. And that for me is the most frustrating thing. Have a Rafa game plan and stick to it. And if we loose 1-0 it’s a case of oh well. Don’t wanna see another watford performance.

• lochinvar

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:00 PM

If Van Djik starts with Liverpool on 1st January who will walk through the door on that day at SJP ?

Let’s hope it’s not Simple Simon the Pieman delivering pasties to help cure Mikeyboys hangover.

Surprise us Charnley for a Happy New Year

• DubaiMicky

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Van Dijk can’t start on 1st Jan, he can’t be registered until 2nd.

• ShirebrookToon

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:04 PM

It’s like watching Jeremy Kyle with some of the bull people spout on here and constant snide comments. Fcuking grow up man! It’s a football blog. if you can’t come on to talk about football but come on just to have a pop or wind someone up, then don’t bother. We’re all entitled to an opinion and can debate about it. But fcuk me, not on here!!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:04 PM

toon kk.
    I called welshgeordie9 a tw@t and I stand by that. He’s a Swansea fan who comes on here to wind us up. He may well have liked Shearer as a kid when Swansea were in the Doctor Martin’s league or wherever they came from but he definitely isn’t a toon fan.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:06 PM

loch,
    Surely the position we’re in warrants someone being announced before the Swansea game.

• Munster Mag

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Jail grow up man ffs. I’m sure rafa would be happy to discuss tactics with fans and not be run out of town for guys like me asking questions ré Joselu, for example. I repeat for the umpteenth time, I want rafa here, with money and lots of it, and will always try to look at tactics, purchases etc, and not just fawn over the man like you. I think he would appreciate my discussion rather than your deification of the man.

• Munster Mag