Newcastle Make Ambitious Move For Top England Winger

The Walcott made one of his rare appearances for Arsenal in the 2-2 draw against Chelsea at the Emirates last night in an entertaining game, and that was only his 5th appearance ion the Premier League this season.

Theo hasn’t played much football this season for the Gunners, and in 14 appearances he has scored 4 goals and has 5 assists.

The Star is reporting that Newcastle are one of four Premier League clubs interested in signing the England winger this month.

Theo wants regular football so he has a chance to make the England squad for the World Cup in Russia this month.

Theo Walcott – could be available from Arsenal

While it will be difficult to get him to come to the north-east Rafa could get the best out of him, just like he did with Andros Townsend almost two years ago now.

So moving to Newcastle on loan this month could probably offer him his best chance of making the England squad.

He would start most games at Newcastle, and he would be coached by a top-level manager in Rafa Benitez.

Everton, West Ham, and Southampton are the other clubs interested, and he may want to return to his former club – Southampton.

In fact, it looks like the Saints are favorites to sign him.

Walcott has been out of favor with England manager Gareth Southgate and has a lot to do in the next five months to get a place in the England squad for Russia.

But he is a class player and would definitely improve the Newcastle side.

He has played 397 times for Arsenal since signing for them from Southampton back in 2005 and he has scored 108 goals with 78 assists.

He has 47 England caps with 8 goals.

What do you think?

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:12 AM

I actually like Walcott but he’s a risk with injuries. Would he be brought in as a winger or a striker?

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM

I’d say no to deeney. Not a good striker, just big and strong. He is captain but I would not neccessrily call him a good leader.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Plus, Watford turned down something like £30/40m bid in summe for deeney, he’s not cheap. Talk is they want to bring in slimani instead and move deeney on.

• Slank

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Frank pingles come sock,

Re your query on time scales when Amanda Staveley started the new company on the Man City.

There should be no equivalent comparison because since the Man City takeover the Premier League have introduced much stricter rules and a more thorough investigative process for anyone wanting to buy a Premier League club.

According to the league the investigative process takes at least ten days (depending upon who they are dealing with I suppose and how transparent their business and financial affairs are). The process also includes a face to face interview with the league officials. If the league discover any misdemeanors that the prospective owner has been convicted of or accused of in the UK or overseas they can reject the bid depending upon I guess the severity of the actual and/or alleged offences.

Once this process starts I would think leaks will start to appear.

• lochinvar

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM

If West Ham want their cockney lad Shelvey back home and he wants to go then so be it. But remember that West Ham are awash with cash and save expenditure by having a cheap ground on HP from the taxpayer.
    We could use some cash to fund the loans or purchase of more athletic goal scoring strikers.
    So what’s the going price for Shelvey ?

Slimani over Deeney every time.
    You can see Slimani fired up and creating and scoring goals.
    Deeney I just see Joselu Mk2

• Jib

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Walcott is on £120K a week at Arsenal for the next 2 years
    Everton fancy him
    I think I know where he’s going

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Armstrong is back but I’d send him out on loan again. I’ll say what I said I’m the past, think he’ll benefit from playing at a club abroad than in the championship or league 1.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Send him to Wolves ronaldo.

• Jib

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:27 AM

We are now being linked with Getafe goalie
    Vicente Guaita
    Watford have made an offer but Rafa is interested

• Rotonda heights

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:29 AM

ronaldo aarons

love your moniker, although i wonder how many younger people recognise it as Martin luther king

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Rotonda heights

I wonder if Rafa has suffered a bad back ever since?!

• Slank

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM

I don’t see Walcott coming here as it would hurt his pocket and potential World Cup hopes.

Why would we want another winger ? Isn’t Atsu, Ritchie, Aarons and Murphy enough ?

We need a centre forward, attacking left footed left back and a playmaker in midfield.

• Belfast

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM

We shouldn’t be selling Shelvey to West Ham or any other relegation rival under any circumstances. It would be a brainless move, even for us.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Walcott would be a great addition to the team. Also think we could strike a deal for him. Even if his wages are high we could offer to pay a percentage of his wages.

Him and Batshit would be nice!

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM

DubaiMicky

In passing I thought for a moment that was Wolves bid for Ronaldo!!

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Is it Obamas dad?!

…..I wish I was that young.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:38 AM

lindis

all joking apart i don’t think rafa was overly impressed when Mitro did that

• Wayayman

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM

If Saints are in for him, he’s from there as is his wife. That pull might be too strong.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Dubai
    Wolves would be good but they don’t need him. I read Bradford were looking at him, that would be decent link up and he already knows gillead there who settled in nicely.

Rotonda
    I work with youngsters in my job, I would guess that they know Martin Luther king and especially the I have a dream speech. They don’t really grasp the importance of the man though which is quite sad although that’s a bit of a generalisation.

• jimmysmith

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Theo Walcott “would start most games at Newcastle”, says Ed, an obvious master of ironic understatement.

• Wayayman

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:47 AM

On another note, if this takeover does happen we need to manage expectations re signings. The last thing we need at this time of the season is an influx of players who would undoubtedly be on mega wages if we had a rich 9not tight) owner. Team spirit is everything at the wrong end of the table. A couple of quality loans like Batshuyai & Ings would do us no harm. Decent lads with good attitudes and playing for WC places.
    Leave the stellar signings for the Summer!

• DubaiMicky

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:54 AM

To be honest with Armstrong (and to a lesser degree Woodman), if they aren’t good enough at their age (22 and 23 if i recall) for the first team – will they ever be?

• DubaiMicky

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM

New sports direct filing at company house today. City types, could this be Ashley preparing buy back full control at SD? pic.twitter.com/IvLgN1JlPX— Chris Holt (@bigchrisholt) January 4, 2018

• Wayayman

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Mickey, Freddie is 20, for a keeper that’s very, very young. Also, not sure Arma has been given a fair crack. At Bolton he’s been playing out wide in a struggling team, ditto at Barns;ey. The only time he was playing regularly was at Coventry where he scored plenty in the first half of the season when he had decent players supplying him (Maddison who is at Norwich I think) and when they went back to parent clubs in Jan his goals dried up. It leads me to think he might be better off here for the rest of the season, showing Rafa what he can do in training.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM

Dubai
    Yeah I get you. It’s never easy since many players do get better with age. woodman I don’t think you can include in this as he hasn’t been given much chance and when he has played he has done well (loan clubs, England). Armstrong is tricky situation, he’s a good finisher a natural so you’d think think there is a career for him at a high level. He’s had a good year, then a poor one and now this year out of position. Perhaps he needs to develop more physically maybe, perhaps he needs a team set up for him like Mowbray did at Coventry, perhaps he isn’t suited to too level. It’s hard to conclude when many players do bloom late. Either way, I think next loan move is vital for him to have a career in any way with us whether that’s fair or not.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Walcott? No thanks, it’s not what we need right now and I doubt he will come considering Southampton have that money now.

Troy though seems like a smart move imo as if anyone checked the history would realise Troy works very well with a fast striker, he is known to be a complete forward and combined with a pacey striker he can score and assist goals.

We have Dwight Gayle as our fast striker OR Slimani could be made for purchase?

• DubaiMicky

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:05 AM

For all you statisticians out there – loads of historical data on NUFC

• bettyswallocks

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Just heard from a fairly reliable source that there is plenty of money available this window and that has been a joint arrangement between Ashley and Amanda.

Obviously the takeover is going through if this is correct and they are protecting the club’s PL status.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM

If memory serves Jacob Murphy was at Coventry with Armstrong.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Selling Shelvey would be a stupid move, it wasn’t long ago when fans wanted him on the England team now suddenly they want him out?

He’s a playmaker and has a killer pass and it’s someone we need to keep in our situation, if Rafa has someone else lined up to go with Merino in CM I would be asking between 20-30 million for him as he’s English (other teams ask for to much why shouldn’t we!)

• lesh

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Slank

So the EPL’ll want to interview AS as buyer lead? Unless they’ll want to interview a (possible) Saudi or Emerati royal!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Lindisfarne
    Yeah he was, both linked up very well together too.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Walcott had a resurgence in form about 18 months-2 years ago – then dipped again.
    Not the answer to our problems in my opinion.
    Another one – Townsend – again not the answer – plus I don’t think he’ll want to leave London again.
    Armstrong – I think still 20 – but since the summer -perhaps there is nothing new which will get Rafa to change his “summer” thoughts about him.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:18 AM

People have to realise that Rafa gets players for the team not for their reps.

I wouldn’t expect any superstar coming here atm even if it’s on loan as the pressure on that certain player would be massive and could damage him long term.

Troy, Ings, Slimani – 2 of those would be probably Rafa choice with 1 loan and 1 purchase?

He needs a LB which apparently has been done (Kennedy) but waiting on Chelsea replacement.

And a number 1 keeper (Kiko) which will be a better option than Darlow and Rob.

4 players coming in is a possibility and it could be a possibility that those players I’ve mentioned could be what Rafa wants for now.

• lesh

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Jerrys

It had better be true about the joint kitty otherwise some on here would expect you to do the honourable thing like what Hibbit has. 😉

• lesh

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Bettyswallocks

* Apologies for the ‘Jerrys’….. Auto correct can’t see that ‘Bettys’ commands more respect than Jerrys!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, to me it doesn’t make sense to sell shelvey as he’ll need replacing. We already have a number of positions that need filling before addressing other issues. Shelvey situation should be looked at in the summer. Regardless if he stays or goes, I’d like to see us bring in Milan badelj from fiorentina. He’s out of contract in summer and he is such a good and such an underrated midfielder/defensive mid. Anyone who has seen him or watched much Italian football and fiorentina will see what I mean.

• lesh

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM

I think we can forget about Kenedy. Conte tried the same last year but he got no change from Abramovich. No change I’d guess and much the same with Batsushya or whatever.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Dubai – I agree I have seen nothing that makes me think Armstrong is premier league level. He doesn’t have any outstanding attributes. I’d sell him..sorry but no passengers in this game. I’d have loved him to be better but he’s not.

• Klatoon

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:30 AM

Deeney reminds me of Shola in his last season with us. Club legend, fan favorite but getting no where near the 1st team. No thanks