Rafa Says He Is Pleased With Everything – After 3-1 Win Over Luton

In front of an excellent crowd of over 47,000 at St. James’ Park this afternoon, Newcastle scored three goals in the first half to beat Luton Town 3-1 and go into the draw for the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Newcastle were looking good towards the end of the first half but Luton came back into the game and gave it everything they had but they couldn’t get a second goal.

But it was still a good day for Luton Town, who had a terific 7.000 fans at the game.

Rafa Benitez – on the touchline today

Rafa Benitez was pleased with most things the Newcastle team did – and we seem to be getting back into our early season form.

I hope we are getting back into early season form.

🙂

Here’s what manager Rafa Benitez said after the game today:

“I am pleased with everything. The goals we scored, the way we managed the game.”

“Maybe because of that and three goals up we relaxed second half and gave them the belief they could score and it became more difficult.”

“But we go through and the fans enjoyed an emotional game. It is good to win games, another after Stoke.”

“The FA Cup, we won it with Liverpool. We want to go as far as we can. I don’t want to lie.”

“It was important to go through and play a strong team. Hopefully the next one too. We will see the next one. I wanted to be sure we did not have any surprise.”

“It was important to send a message we wanted to do well. But it depends on injuries and where we are in the league.”

“Perez is important for the team and for a striker to score goals. The team created chances – Ayoze will be happier than others.”

“I said we would play a strong team to stop a surprise. I am pleased to see that crowd of 47,000.”

“For us it means we can go through. Hopefully some more.”

We now have to make it three wins in a row when we play bottom club Swansea at St. James’ Park next Saturday afternoon, and we cannot be overconfident for that game.

If we can get the win then things will be looking up a bit on Tyneside.

Howay the Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Luton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Sparky I once knew a bloke who kept a bike in his back passage…

Reminds me of that scene in Phoenix Nights where Jerry St Clair goes to the hospital and as the doctor threads the camera into rear end of the supine comic, he tuts and exclaims …

“Oh no…. just look at that! It’s filthy! Nurse, give it a wipe please …” As the horrified StClair looks aghast we see the nurse get a cloth and wipe the monitor screen clean..

?

• lochinvar

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:24 PM

No Mackems in the fourth round draw.
    47,000 gate – wonder what the record is for a third round match in the FA CUP – either for NUFC or anyone else for that matter . one for Jib to enlighten us with

• Bianconeri

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:27 PM

sparky55 them sky sports news cameras get everywhere.
    Hope it’s a positive result,and not the chris froome type 😉

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM

tsunki

remember that….must be over 15 years ago but so so funny
    ?
    ?

I had a very clean 30 inch in glorious technocolor…asked them to put on BBC but not even a smirk!

• Bianconeri

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Didn’t Rafa say between 15th and 20th,and 20th is a Saturday

• Nufc-83

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM

If Liverpool get mahrez that will be scary as I think he is one of the best attacking mids in the world and would put him alongside Coutinho. As soon as he moves top 4 team he will be stupidly good.

• oldarse

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM

3 Chelsea players mentioned Newcastle interested in, please forget watching game p*ss poor all 3

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Bianconeri

hahahahaha…I’ll know in a couple of weeks once the polyps have been tested.

Not gonna worry though…WE WON! 🙂 🙂

• Shot Bru

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Good to see Rafa giving Woodman a go. Seemed pretty busy in the 2nd half..all experience for the young guy.
    He just needs regular games on loan in the championship. Personally I reckon he would cope pretty well if we needed him at the moment.
    Watched him in Korea for the under 20’s..very talented and a good bloke too.

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Sparky at least it’s all behind you now. Ok I’ll stop.

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM

I’m afraid the tonsils have to come out…

Cameras aren’t much fun, speaking from experience. You don’t feel much like a TV star. 🙁

• Bianconeri

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:37 PM

sparky55 been there got that t shirt.It’s weird watching it on telly.Good luck sure it will be fine.

How can people vote for MOM off radio commentary??

• manxpie

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Well kenedy looks terrible and will probably get a ban for the nasty shoulder earlier so that means we’ll be first in line to sign him

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Cheers Tsunki…and don’t worry about getting cheap lafs at my expense will ya 🙂 🙂

• Clematis

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Just back from the game.

Big crowd but awful atmos; just full of Saturday dads with uninterested kids. I chanted but nee one else followed the lead so I stopped.

We were in cruise control the whole game. And why wouldn’t we be? It was a league 2 side. We did what we needed to and could/should have been in double figures.

WUMs should just do one.

Woodman will deffo learn from this game!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:42 PM

The highlights make it look very even and 2nd half we looked poor – goal ruled out for them (rightly or wrongly) and they hit the woodwork back that up. Woodman didn’t do the little he had to very well, but at least he didn’t have an Alnwick.

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Sparky hey you want cheap laughs you should have heard the nurses at my last episode. Talk about leave your shoes, clothes and dignity in the locker…. 😐

Football related – that backheel for Agueros second! Shocking ha ha

• bladeuser

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Of the 22 players on the pitch in the Norwich chels ea tie the least effective player who has also given the ball away the most KENNEDY
    ASH OUT

• Clematis

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:44 PM

Hail:

They deffo came at us second half and it was a canny free kick off the bar.

We missed so many chances it was untrue.

Luton were not in this game at all.

• Bianconeri

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:46 PM

Clematis.What was Woodmans distribution like,and did he do ok.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:47 PM

Any win is a good win in a cup competition, all about getting in the draw for the next round.

It’s been a good few weeks for the team and Rafa, picked up some vital points and progressed in the cup. He’s used the squad well over the busy festive period.

• jazzyp

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Pardew going after one of our old boys in Mathieu debuchy

• Offkey

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Sparky, bianconeri – how could you watch, it hurts, they blow air in you causing more pain, I just closed my eyes and nearly broke the nurses hand as I held it (with my hand) so tightly

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Tsunki

Not much dignity for me today either…they were having trouble getting the camera up to the valve at the bottom of my stomach and span me around like a split roast to stop the camera from twisting in my passage due to too much air up there…and then I had one of them pressing on me stomach to push to try and push the air out whilst me gown was up round me chest…took them forever!

Lovely! 🙂 🙂

• oldarse

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Well Just fed the Fox handsome brute, the kitten clawing at the window wants to be at him assassin in his last life me thinks, and yes he is Black and White plenty of balls.

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Offkey

Through squinty eyes whilst sucking on the gas and air!!!

• Clematis

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Bianconeri

Luton closed Woodman down at any opportunity from passbacks. He didn’t deal with them very well which made Luton go for the juggular.

Tbh Clark and Hayden/Lascelles passed back to him far too much unnecessarily.

Woodman can kick quite far but there was no quick throwouts to start attacks. He made a boo boo but also made a good save.

He DEFFO needs to go out on loan as he is not the immediate saviour.

Their keeper (Stech?) stopped it being a cricket score.

• Shoulders knees

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:58 PM

Sparky 55
    Got my letter today the one everyone over 55 now gets!
    Don’t worry too much that won’t help, wishing you all the best .

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:58 PM

Aye the Phoenix Nights scene was hilarious but not a patch on the comedy of the real thing. There’s a point at which you stop being crushingly embarrassed and just become philosophical. Hard to explain reaching the resignation point to the uninitiated.

He he it’s like a self-help group on here today – I was going to say “intervention” but the painful memories came flooding back 😀

• Readingmag

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM

Walcott is not from Southampton, He’s from Compton NR Reading

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:02 PM

cheers Shoulders…ageing is a wonderful thing eh!

but you have to give credit where credits due…the NHS have realised prevention is cheaper than cure and the tests you now get for free now every year or two or five are bloody brilliant if not a bit invasive but hey ho if the catch stuff early we’ve got a chance

• jazzyp

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Evans to Arsenal!

Transfers starting to happen now, But I’m sure Nile ranger will be available come the end of the transfer window

• oldarse

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM

Think we got the wrong Murphy.

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM

Jonny evans?

• c-dog

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM

No doubt tonight’s performances from kenedy and michy will convince Conte to let them leave.

Still think michy has something about him.

This is the only time I’ve seen kenedy and he looks cat

• oldarse

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:06 PM

Twin that is

• hibbit

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM

evening all everybody happy ??

sparky55
    just got back typical cup tie enjoyed it should have could have had 6 on another day but a win’s a win in my book

jib
    what’s this about extended MOTD ???

• Shoulders knees

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Sparky
    so true, the NHS also gave me the chance to lie on a bed with my bits out with three young woman in the room. It went downhill though when one took hold and fed a tube down my todger , very embrassing but interesting to see the inside of my bladder.
    We all moan about things but can’t understand people moaning about the NHS , yes I know some people do have good reason sometimes but that’s rare.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM

In the second half I wondered if it was the Luton fans or the home supporters we could here over the radio?

• sparky55

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:14 PM

Hibbit

Cant speak for everyone but I’m happy for sure…we won, me arse is still reasonably intact and very soon the sale of the club will be announced …so yes…very happy

Doubt MOTD will be extended just for the announcement of us being sold because that would take just two minutes of time…more likely because they have to show 27 games instead of 10

1 2 3 6