Rafa Ready To Go After His Transfer Targets – Still Waiting For Go Ahead From Ashley

You cannot say that Rafa Benitez is not an excellent worker and he has worked closely with Head of Recruitment Steve Nickson they came up with their targets for this month.

Last month Rafa had a meeting with Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley where the manager laid out what he wanted to do in January with specific targets mentioned, and he is now waiting to get the OK from Ashley to go ahead with the plan.

But he’s been waiting some weeks now, and it’s almost a week into the January transfer window.

Mike Ashley – still to give go ahead to Rafa on transfers

Rafa has said what he thinks the situation is with the transfer business at Newcastle at the moment as reported in the Chronicle:

“I don’t know exactly what our budget is so I don’t have any news,”

“We have to keep working and try to make sure we have our targets because I don’t know. I have to prepare the team.”

“We had a meeting last week and had conversations and I am waiting now for news. We had the meeting, talking about options and targets and waiting for the numbers. I can’t say nothing, no more.”

“We don’t talk about names. At the moment we don’t have any movement so we are waiting.”

“Sooner rather than later. Sooner, hopefully. We will see.”

“I had a conversation with Ashley and Charnley before. We said what we wanted to do. I am waiting for them to say: ‘Yes, do it.’”

“We have to wait and see where we are and see if we can get what we want. I don’t want to say too much.”

“We have to move players because of the number of squad players. But because of money, I do not see a massive difference.”

“We have been doing our job, preparing names of players and everything we were doing before. These last games do not change anything.”

“It is still four points between a lot of teams at the bottom. We still have to do what we have to do.”

Ashley’s intransigence wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t vital this month for Newcastle to improve the quality of their squad.

We need to do that if we are to remain in the Premier League for next season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Luton Town?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Ashley’s playing silly buggers and not giving a monkey’s chuff about the club.

• ShirebrookToon

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM

How can he have targets ready to go if he doesn’t know what budget he’s got!

He knows his fcuking budget. He’s just playing the media.

• consettmags

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM

He’s a knob unfortunately

• lochinvar

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM

It’s a pity that the Football Focus interview was only shown briefly in some regions due to technical issues.
    I caught a glimpse on BBC Cheviot so doubt many had the chance to catch it as reception is poor in them there hills.
    What I can report is that Amanda Staveley was very professional in what she said, it was just a pity that Ashley’s chair was empty as he was away visiting a pie factory.
    Maybe it’ll be shown again on MOTD highlights.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Jesus catchy I agree, so because he’s not as good as those two let’s take yours and Munster lead and hound him out. I think Pep has a soft spot for us!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM

See that Spurs want to offload Sissoko, asking for £30m, assume most of that will come to us if they do.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM

1 Hour 41 Minutes to KO

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:20 PM

So long as there’s no lumbering carthorses on that shopping list.

Unless of course it’s Akinfenwe. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:20 PM

Is that the next bus coming?

• Blofal

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:23 PM

“We had the meeting, talking about options and targets and waiting for the numbers. I can’t say nothing, no more.”

That is the interesting part of the interview. What that says to me is “We are partial way through a takeover and I have to wait until it’s complete before I can bring in any players. But I’m calm about it because I’m going to have a lot more money to spend once it’s done!”

• Christopher Asprilla

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:25 PM

Luke Edwards in the Telegraph gave a positive update for once on transfers at Newcastle. Edwards is from our pastures and is a glowing Nufc reporter. He says Kennedy will sign next week after the deal was set up in the summer and now Barkley has signed he will finally be allowed to leave on loan. There is still interest in Ings but the the best piece of news Luke let’s us know was the conversation between Ashley and Benitez. He says both Ashley and Benitez agreed the team needed strengthening in January and that Benitez had his targets ready. Lists have been given to Charnley and Benitez is extremely hopeful that four new names will arrive. Maybe fat lad is realising he needs to protect his investment. The money wouldn’t be coming out of his pocket because of the 30M PL payment in November and the 8M from De Jong and Hanley. That’s 38M resting in our account. He’d just be allowing the club to spend it instead of him creaming it off before he scarpers. Let’s hope he has seen sense because even if we beat Swansea and both Swansea and West Brom start to tail off from the pack there is still one place to fill and with no investment you would put Newcastle as favourites for that because every club around us will be doing it believe me.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Ashley in his younger days.

For those thinking that Rafa will not be 100 per cent trying to win today , bear in mind that the man is not a suppressed yes man who would accept being told to ignore the cup. He never will be a weakling IMHO so he will be putting out a strong team and trying to win the game today.

• Our Toon

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Jail

Why does any negative comment against rafa automatically mean the person who makes it is trying to hound him out? Funnily enough Munster didnt even suggest it as he was agreeing with sparky I believe initially that poch is a better manager and of the new breed that press high up. I also agreed but I seem to have missed the part where all 3 of us wrote that we want rafa gone now. Sparky mentioned that citeh have gone through 7 or 8 managers to get the type of football they have now.

It’s like you try to turn people against individuals to suit your agenda. You have a very uncanny knack for doing it, and even more surprising is that you get away with it time after time. If you have issues with certain posters then ignore them

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Rafa’s put out a much stronger team tgan expected for today’s game. Was expecting a weaker team from us tbh. Hope none get injured though.