Swansea City Suffering From One Of Newcastle’s Previous Maladies

There have been reports that West Ham want Jonjo Shelvey this month, but we’d be really surprised if Rafa would OK that move and help a club also struggling with relegation.

Jonjo has played well in the last few games for Newcastle, and we thought the combination of Jonjo and young Mikel Merino in central midfield against Luton Town looked solid and had some creativity – which we are really short of this season.

Newcastle have a big game against Swansea City on Saturday, one of Jonjo’s previous clubs, and it’s a game we should be winning if we are to avoid the drop this season.

Jonjo has fond memories of his time at Swansea, a club he joined in the summer of 2013 from Liverpool before he joined Newcastle in January two years ago.

But he says they have suffered by changing their manager too often.

Jonjo Shelvey with Rafa Benitez

That’s what Newcastle did under both Freddie Shepherd and Mike Ashley and it’s difficult to have any sense of building up the team with managers have different opinions on players.

There tends to be a lot of player churn – players coming and going – and it’s also very expensive for the club.

Hopefully, we will not be changing our manager for a very long time and that malady is past and gone.

This is some of what Jonjo has said on nufcTV about his former club:

“They have chopped and changed the managers to be fair and I don’t think that has helped them,”

“I think they need to get back playing the way they played football.” “Even when I was at Liverpool you wouldn’t see the ball for a lot of the time.”

“When I went there everything was about ball possession, all of our work was about the football and we were battering teams at home with the ball – even against the top teams.”

“They have gone away from that a little bit which is obviously down to whatever manager they had in at the time.”

“They have lost quite a few big players, to be fair,” “They have lost Gylfi Sigurdsson, they have lost Llorente but Swansea is a great club.”

“It is a great family club, the stadium isn’t the biggest but the supporters get behind the team.”

“As soon as I found out Newcastle were interested there was only one place to go but obviously I don’t want to see them go down because I want to play against them and I have mates in their team.”

“But football is a cut-throat business and I would rather we stayed up than them.”

“It is a relegation battle that we are in and whoever comes out on top will be the worthy winners.”

We are hoping we can keep our 100% record for this year and get our third successive win to start off 2018.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ShireToon

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:04 PM

1st

• SPRINGY

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Areet shiremate,this lack of transfer activity and takeover dragging is really puttin a hair in the crack of my arse….do u think we will get either sorted by end of january…not so sure my sell.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Need a big game from Shelvey he played much better against Stoke and I think this was because Diame was disciplined enough to allow him to play his own game

Also Perez , Atsu , Murphy and Richie were making themselves available for passes which makes a big dfference

• SPRINGY

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Shire mate even#

• Corv

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Re, the Press at SJP.

Probably something to do with the Peter Beardsley accusations as Yasin Ben El-Mhanni’s grievance meeting is happening today.

• SPRINGY

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:11 PM

Lcbp
    Think diame had a good game with shelvey at stoke so deserves another game there(never thought I’d be saying that from earlier performance’s like!)…perez has to start up frobt as hes only one in any sort of form…for me i would go atsu left and murphy right….try merino in number ten spot….diame the grafter and shelvey and merino the quality….probs never happen like! Lol

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Charlie that’s you on the list of the damned …………LOL

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM

It’s looking increasingly like there’ll be no activity in the transfer market. All our realistic targets would have been identified months ago, if they haven’t been signed off by now I can’t see why it will be done by next week.

• ShireToon

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Springy

Not heard nothing since last week. Gone really quiet. So much so that it’s deafening.

George Caulkin seems to be the only credible ITK apparently so I’d ask him mate. Even though I trust me source more than some jumped up journo.

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM

I re-iterate I don’t think anyone was lying

Just passed on info in good faith

No one can be 100% correct unless they were in the meetings

I just think the dream it’s done is too far fetched and common sense says it’s not done. (Yet)

Personally I think it will eventually

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Rafa will be doing a press conference tomorrow, I assume. Should be interesting!

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Corv
    are you sure, i read yesterday that it was adjourned till monday for the panel to review the witness statements ???

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Shire – George Caulkin isn’t my hero

He hates Ashley as much as anyone

He just seems to be the most on the ball and most credible

I would love to think your source knows more , hand on heart

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM

Agree – can’t wait till see Rafa presser

Hopefully he gets asked some meaningful questions and we can study his reactions !

If he is calm deal might be close ,

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM

Jail/Shire. It’s groundhog month!!

• c-dog

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM

He has to start Big Mo this game based on form. And my guess is it’ll be Shelvey beside him.

• Slank

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Ron,

Not Beardsley returning from gardening leave having forgotten his book on public speaking and etiquette on the training ground ?

• c-dog

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:22 PM

The link to Charly Musonda is just laughable. Signings like that would only contribute to actully getting us relegation.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM

Tosun,
    Nothing new there then.

• ShireToon

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Tosun

Been like this for years

• bladeuser

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM

We shall overcome we shall overcome we shall overcome some day oh deep in my heart I do believe we shall overcome some day
    ASH OUT

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Slank

Or to re-unveil Ivan Toney?

• AncientC

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:27 PM

One of the common myths you will hear circulated on this blog, in support of selling Shelvey, is that Shelvey was dumped by Liverpool and Swansea. Rodgers wanted Shelvey to stay at Liverpool and Shelvey was sold by Swansea due to falling out with Huw Jenkins. It is another one of those fabrications, like the one claiming Bournemouth “got rid” of Ritchie, when in fact Bournemouth couldn’t at that time afford to offer the wages Newcastle were offering to Ritchie, and so reluctantly Eddie Howe caved in to Ritchie’s demands. You would be hard pushed to find another CM with the ability Shelvey has for £30+ million. Shelvey isn’t lazy either, contrary to popular belief, he covers a heck of a lot of ground in 90 minutes—unless Shelvey is lazily going about running 12 miles per game.

• AncientC

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM

*12km

• Slank

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Ron,

‘…re-unveil Ivan Toney?..’

It might be a very short conversation ‘welcome back and goodbye’

• AncientC

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM

11 days into the transfer window, and I am starting to wonder what Charnley has been busy doing since the start of transfer window opening. We know Charnley has not been busy keeping an eye on Beardsley and worrying about past complaints, so whatever he is busy with, it must be extremely important.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM

I was talking to a guy at the Stoke game that wanted Ashley to stay in case the new owners were worse. The mind boggles.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM

@AncientC

Yeah I do find a lot of nonsense gets chucked about to justify Rafa’s transfer fails!

Richie joined us because he believed in Rafa’s vision of the Toon which is much more exciting than playing for Bournemouth!

We were offering much better terms than Bournemouth did and Howe actually came out and said he wanted to keep Richie but they couldn’t compete with the wages on offer which is also quite funny because apparently we get told we can’t compete with teams like this…

What I find with Shelvey is he is lazy and hard working at the same time , if our team has the ball he breaks his neck to get into space and link the play or to get an extra touch on the ball but when he has to track back or is getting battled by a hard working midfield he looks very lazy and lethargic to do the “dirty” work.

I think he would be great if we could just get a better front 2 ahead of him and we could put teams under more pressure

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Charnley is only here to sharpen the pencils
    all decisions are made in London by Barnes and Ashley the guy has no authority whatsoever

• c-dog

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM

I rate Shelvey very highly. Just one drawback for me is his mobility. His running is sluggish. He always looks like he’s struggling or trying to force pace. Fabregas is a player who never had any pace. It’s not essential but it helps.

• Jib

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Ancient
    You may think they are
    “common myths”
    and
    “popular belief”
    but
    the only one really slagging
    off Shelvey on the blog has been
    Our Toon and he’s an idiot.

• AncientC

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:43 PM

LCBP, Shelvey can certainly blow hot and cold at times, but I think everybody would agree that you need better players around Shelvey to see him at his very best. I think the club should be working on getting those better players around Shelvey, rather than be worrying about moving him on… especially to a potential rival.

• Toonbean

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Frank pingles come sock

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Shire – looks like shire has got this information 1st and it looks to be bang on

Rang mate who works at the ticket office as soon as shire broke the news , he text back

, he said there been loads ov rumours today that something big is happening , just before he left today somebody pulled him back and said it’s all go tomorrow ????

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:51 PM

is there any truth in the club wanting to move Shelvey on especially for the figure mentioned of £12m
    or is it West Ham/David Moyes and the press / media trying to unsettle him

• geordiemark

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Toonbean

lets hope its all go tomorrow because the end of this transfer window and with no new players and no takeover then there will be thousands of geordies really very pissed off with Ashley and his shops 🙂

• geordiemark

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM

hibbit

probably moyes he still doesn’t forgive us for lumbering him with the mackem job 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Slank

At least it would scotch those stories that Charmless is in hibernation.

• ShireToon

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:56 PM

I know. let’s sell one of our creative midfielders to a relegation rival for the same price we bought him for 2 years ago. Don’t worry we have a replacement lined up.

It’s Jack Colback.

Bullshit baffles brains!!

Certainly had that effect on here!

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Toonbean

Spot on , that’s what I was told by Mate who works at ticket office

And shared it

Obviously he was wrong , hence my reluctance to believe anymore rumours

That’s why the last 2 weeks I have spoken with him I haven’t shared as I think all the rumours are merging into one big myth

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Hibbit- the Ronnie said the shelvey stories to West ham are pie in the sky. Their fans were saying he was looking At houses down there at the time he was being interviewed at the training ground so it’s pure rubbish.

1 2 3 8