Rafa Thought He Could Sign A Player Last Week – But Couldn’t – Needs Help

Rafa Benitez is having a tough time trying to get new players into the club during this January transfer window.

Newcastle have had an agreement since last summer to bring in left-sided Brazilian midfielder Kenedy from Chelsea on loan, and the 21-year-old is keen to come to Newcastle to get some playing time.

But Italian manager Antonio Conte continues to drag his feet on this and Newcastle will not know until next week whether the deal will be allowed to go through.

It looks like this could end up like it did in the summer when we waited until the very last day of the window and Conte said the deal couldn’t be done.

Bu Rafa has made it clear to the owner Mike Ashley the team has to be reinforced if we are to stay competitive and remain in the Premier League this season.

Kenedy – Rafa wants him in on loan

This is what Rafa has said as reported in the Chronicle:

“For me it is obvious, Mike Ashley knows he has to improve the team so that we have the quality which allows us to stay in Premier League.”

“I have made it clear that we need some help.” “We need to strengthen certain positions.

“I have made clear what we have to do now regardless of any takeover, without thinking about what may or may not happen in the future.”

“We still have some weeks to go and have to keep working and try to do our best.”

“The point is that I want to do the best for the team.”

“Can I change the transfer window talking with you here? No.”

“We have through until the 31st of January and I am confident that we will do what we have to do; I have to wait and see if we can do that.”

“We have to work with the names that we have and we have to try and do our best in the conditions we are working in.”

“I thought that we could sign a player this week but we couldn’t do it.”

We could do ourselves a lot of good today if we can get a home win against bottom club Swansea.

Fans seem confident we can do just that – let’s hope they are right.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• ThirdStripeBlack

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Rafa’s (apparent) repeated use of the phrase “I have made it clear…” creates some concern.

• giimps

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Come on mikey,slacken the purse strings, allow the club to use some of the Premier league money to strengthen and stay in the league…..it’s not costing you a bean if you do, it’s the clubs money and you don’t care about the club ( other than not wanting to put investment in before Mandy gets it)……do the right thing , we need to stay in this league so we can be sold for a bigger amount and give Mandy the best chance of making us competitive again…..HWTL

• dig-n-dig22

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM

I would like to see him arrive but IMO Kenedy doesn’t want to come. It was the same lame excuses in the summer window Conte kepped stone walling with excuse after excuse. I will be pleasantly surprised if Kenedy shows.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:24 AM

I’m going for a home win today, I’ve got a feeling Dwight Gayle will be man of the match, just think he will get a couple of goals because of his pace.

• geordiemark

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:28 AM

come on Ashley you said the club has to spend what it makes well wheres the 75 million pound payment via tv deal for new players its the second week of January so where is it for rafa, no players coming in and the money in big mikes back pocket for more shares in other companies he has his dirty paws into

• carl

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:28 AM

TSB
    It doesn’t say to whom. It conveyed to me simply that he has made the very same point on countless occasions. He was talking about the transfer window and the art of the possible. You can certainly put a negative jimiley type spin on it if your that way inclined.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:29 AM

giimps,
    Not sure what the thinking is behind it. Surely if it was because of an embargo while research was carried out we’d have been fed snippets by now. It looks like nothing more than good old fashioned tight waddery and Mikey cutting off his nose to spite his face. He’s purely gambling with our future that on 5M a year Rafa will keep us up. I honestly don’t know how this can carry on if he’s still owner by next August.

• Jib

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:31 AM

nufc 82 and magicmac 54
    Thanks for that
    Ghana and Uganda are on opposite sides
    doh

• killers_perm

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:31 AM

the biggest barrier to us getting ANY deal done isn’t just Mike Ashley (who has said on a number of occasions he distances himself from the running of the day to day) but the overhyped office tea boy Lee Charnley – he is the one who, with Ashley’s blessing; sits in front of any prospective selling club and attempts to broker a deal.

When we are the only club interested we end up paying way over the odds, as soon as we are in competition to sign a player we lose out, I can’t remember seeing a headline saying “Newcastle beat off fierce rivals to secure player” when Charnley has been the chief negotiator. He is simply Ashley’s lacky with the brief “never pay over the odds”

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM

carl,
    It’s pretty obvious that he’s made it clear to the person or persons signing the cheques.

• carl

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM

dig
    I would like Kenedy on board because he is a creative player and we need to score more goals. If he doesn’t fancy the gig then let’s move on.

• carl

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Jail
    I took that to be historic and that what he was suggesting yesterday was to journalists saving him having to make the same point. Just my take on it and your interpretation could of course be right.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Surely it’s a bit late in the day to find out whether or not he wants to come here.

• ArtyH

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Sadly I resigned myself weeks/months ago this whole sale/takeover thing was another pack of lies from the London creature occupying the power at our club. Lets get one thing straight here, when can anyone remember when he said anything….anything which was the truth? I cannot remember! We as supporters have been tagged along like sheep to the slaughter and told to be grateful for the privilege. This whole madness needs to stop, and as supporters we need show this cocky nowt we have the power and not him!!! For to long he has kept us all in football misery, watching crap for the last 11 years in his charge playing with our affections and emotions. We must let this creature know the ramifications of his action if he should relegate the club again or fail to sell NUFC. It has been said before that a total boycott will be the only answer and I for one believe it is the only action we can take which will get the message through his thick skull. Season tickets are going to be available soon, and I believe he will dangle the carrot again saying the sale is close but has no intention to sell at all. He will not kill the golden goose! It is in our power to show we will not be lead around by the nose by this power mad, money hungry creature who is intent on heaping more misery on the countries most loyal fans.
    I hope we win today to at least help Rafa in his efforts to salvage something from the scraps he has to deal with.

• Jib

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:01 AM

ArtyH
    I wish folk like you would think
    before sounding off

Two diametrically opposite statements

” It has been said before that a total boycott will be the
    only answer and I for one believe it is the only action”

“I hope we win today to at least help Rafa”

How can the former help the latter ?

• nut meg

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Posada.. Interesting talk about footy back in the 60s 70s 80s..especially when you mentioned Francis Lee diving about.. in season 71-72 he scored 15 penaltys !!! They used to call him Lee won pen.. haha
    I knew it was double figures but had to google to see just how many.. Incredible. Wonder how many we’ve had in the last 10 years?

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Nut mag

Our lads don’t even shout for them now, they’re more likely to get a yellow card for dissent than a pen.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Meg

• tooned in

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I have not got any itk but what I know from my experience of MA and also PCP…

PCP won’t up their offer until we are safe 40pts+
    MA doesn’t want to spend money so close to finalising a deal. This is what many business owners do prior to listing to maximise price …. he is also a massive gambler and he will gamble on relegation with zero if not negative spend – sell Mitro and JC and take a couple of Loaners makes the books look good… so do not expect any accurate reporting on sale – This will Not happen till we ARE safe (I believe we will be) and the only deals this window will be sale of deadwood and Mitro and 2-3 loans

• Bobbybee

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM

A total boycott will never happen. Forget it. I’ve never gone to a match to support the owner, regardless of who it is. I go to support the players in black and white. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’m not alone. I despise Ashley, but he’s never going to come between me and supporting my club.
    You do what you want, it’s your choice and your money, just as it’s mine to make my choices.
    He’ll be gone soon, we just have to hope the next lot are a whole lot better, which isn’t asking much.
    And I’ll be there today watching our escape continue to gather pace. 🙂 Howay the lads!!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Bobbybee,
    If Rafa walks and he’s still here next season would you not boycott one strategic game live on tv.

• jane

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Jail don’t you remember the other day we exploded the myth that Ashley is holding up transfers. these clubs haven’t made any signings in January yet either

Swansea
    WBA
    Bournemouth
    Southampton
    West Ham
    Crystal Palace

and Brighton have only signed an under 23 player.

only Huddersfield have made much progress.

if the other clubs had signed players and we hadn’t i would give your theory more credence.

if you don’t think Newcastle and all the other clubs are working on players you are stupid or maybe you have an agenda. probably both 🙂

the reason for no signings is more likely the nature of the transfer market.

• Bobbybee

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Every one of our current side are working their socks off. They lack the talent, being basically a Championship team, but they certainly don’t lack effort and commitment. This is probably the hardest working side we’ve had for a long time, I just wish we could get behind them more. The nerves at home games is palpable and it feeds down to the pitch.
    These lads need us behind them more than at any other time. If you’re going today please do your best to give them a lift.

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Arthy h well said butt the bottom line is the toon fans will never learn cos they will keep going on sell out crowds hence if we don’t sell we will be stuck with Ashley for God no’s how long but to me the fans r to blame aswell as Ashley cos no matter what he does they will keep going am sick of hearing we don’t support Ashley we r there to support the team well wrong because yous r support him aswell hence the reason he won’t sell cos he nos 52000 every home game will turn up no other club would put up with this sh1t but the thick toon fans do so to me the fans r to blame aswell if Ashley dosent sell only 1 way empty ground till he sells that’s all Ashley cares about his pocket

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM

jane,
    We didn’t explode the myth, you obviously just thought you had.

• Bobbybee

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Too many if’s jail. I’m a football fan. I go to games. It’s what I do. It’s what I’ve always done.
    Why? What’s the point? Ashley knows we despise him, my ticket’s paid for – it’s not hurting him. It hurts the players. It’s been tried before.
    I turned up for one ‘protest’ and it was a joke. Literally a joke.
    Anyway, hypothetical situations aren’t worth the effort. Most people demanding boycotts don’t even go to games ffs.
    Each person should do as they see fit and it’s nobody else’s business.

• carl

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Can I recommend an old BBC documentary covering the modern SJP from 1988 onwards when the new Milburn stand was built. Shown in 2014 and widely covered at the time and since by the Chronicle. Last nights posts filled in gaps as well so thanks.
    Documentary “Black and White and Red All Over”. I noted that SJP wasn’t thought fit to host World Cup games in 1966 and games were switched to Ayresome Park.

• Jib

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:28 AM

getoutofworeclub
    You do realise today could be Doomsday for
    your club if Cardiff chin you and the the other
    bottom cubs (all with home games)win.

• ArtyH

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM

At Jib, speaking from the heart and head, yes two diametrically opposed statements, but I love the club and hate the owner and what he has done to it. IMHO a boycott is the only answer, obviously in the short term, take money from him and also show he is not going to dictate how much more misery he is going to inflict on loyal fans. But hey it just my opinion and I have not gone to a match for years now and I blame him for it, I will not line his pocket to make me miserable, but each to his own! I can see only ways to get him out of the club, continuing to attend matches while he is in charge is only going to strengthen his argument to stay and milk supporters dry, well its not going to be me! Its volitional and I made up my mind years ago, he does not have a hold on me. Also I dont hold with the you have to go to show support for the players, you are directly saying you support Ashley and thanks for the kick in the bollocks. Each to his own, but I see the Emperor has no clothes, its obvious a lot of others cannot!

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM

A question to all on here if no takeover by the end of the season and Rafa walks would yous all stop going to the matches till the fat man sells or would yous still carry on going I think ed should do a vote on this

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM

No transfers are going to be done when a takeover is in process! It’s just that simple!

Why won’t the media put this out instead of linking us with every player out there and suggesting BS on a daily basis?

Simple.. they are trying to oust the potential buyers to come forward or at least show face it they seem to not understand what NDA means!

• Bobbybee

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM

The money through the gate is miniscule to the money from TV. Most have ST’s, so he gets that anyway. And like I say, most demanding boycotts don’t even go to games. None of their business.
    Do you refuse to go to work if your boss upsets you? Sometimes in life you can’t have what you want. If you don’t want to go, don’t go. Simple enough. But don’t accuse loyal fans of anything negative. We’ve been in worse situations than this in my lifetime. Newcastle was around before the Entertainers you know? It was far worse than this, trust me.

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Jib let’s get one thing straight I am a toon fan have and always will be just cos I don’t agree with certain posters on here or u for that matter it does not make me a scum fan or any other fan just cos my opion is different to yours this is a football blog and am entitled to have my say just and much as yours it’s not your blog it’s for every nufc fan that wants to post you prick just keep support the fat man do what u do best

• Bobbybee

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Arty, are you a ST holder?

• Jib

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Blooming heck
    There is a distinct possibility that our
    prospective new owners could be at
    SJP today
    a.
    I hope the fans that get on the teams back
    keep their gobs shut today.
    b.
    There are goons on here talking about boycotts ffs

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Get out

Personally I think it wouldn’t make a difference if fans didn’t turn up to matches, if this did happen Mike would only lower Newcastle expectations as in only purchasing free/out of contract players at a very low rate (less than £20,000 in wages) and Mike would stoop this low as he sees us as an advertising hoarding.

• catchy in norway

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM

Jail

i dont believe a word any manager says in press conferences, they say whatever they need to say to keep as many people happy as possible, they just like players are all very well trained in how to handle the press.

Pardew had you believing he played on the front attacking football, every manager tells you they need better players to play better football, its a chicken and egg situation. you go along with this idea you have populated in your head, but the fact is in all the teams he has managed he has been very defensive, just look at Real Madrid, that team is at the top of the tree for attacking players, but he defended with them.

against Luton, no one pro RAfa or those against him could use any of that game to argue there point, they should have won, but its a cup game and nothing to lose.

no matter what you think, NUFC spent 30 million in the summer, and if Rafa only HAD 30 million, why the hell did he spend it on the dross he bought, none of them had this so called top flight prem experience he and you all bleet on about. both windows he seemed to just spend money on players that did not improve our squad..
    out of all the players he has bought, who could he sell for more money right now?,, we got relegated and sold many of cars players for top money.

• Jib

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM

getoutofworeclub
    You are clearly a mackem wum
    I feel sorry for you
    You must be crapping yersels
    Winding up mags isn’t going
    to save your bacon.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Jib

Very much doubt but it’s a little possible.

We all know when something will happen as we are the only club fans who have eyes and ears everywhere, if something ought to happen today then the eyes on our airports would report this.

And we both know this 🙂

• getoutofworeclub

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Bobbylee believe me if an empty ground happens which I believe it won’t cos it dosent matter what the fat man does fans will still turn up but if they did stop going I believe it would hurt him