Alan Shearer – More Players Needed At Newcastle – Magpies Have Opportunity At Chelsea

Newcastle will face Chelsea on Sunday afternoon with a 1:30 pm kick-off time and maybe we will have signed Nicolai Jorgensen by then – so we at least have one striker to help in our relegation fight through the end of the season.

That’s been our weakest link in the first part of the season.

Newcastle legend Alan Shearer is hoping, like any other Newcastle fan, that we can put up a good show at Stamford Bridge and get a result on Sunday.

Alan is also hoping, like the rest of us, that Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley can bring some good players before next Wednesday night – but alas, we will have to spend some money to do that.

Alan Shearer – Rafa needs more bodies

Alan has been taking to Coral, and this is what he has said about Newcastle’s transfer success so far and then about the FA Cup 4th round tie on Sunday:

“They’ve brought one player in on loan, Kennedy. He should be a good signing but Rafa needs more bodies in for him to have a fight for survival in the Premier League and hopefully a run in the FA Cup.”

“Hopefully in the next week or so we can see some bodies in at Newcastle.”

“I think that Sunday is an opportunity.” “I watched the replay of Chelsea against Norwich at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea were slightly fortunate.”

“They got through on penalties and it perhaps should have been different.”

“If that Chelsea turns up, the Chelsea that weren’t good enough to beat Norwich over two games in open play, then Newcastle will have an opportunity.”

“It was refreshing that Rafa played a strong team in the previous round.”

“Hopefully he will play a strong team again, but if Chelsea play a full strength team, and they are at it 100%, then it will be a very tough for Newcastle.”

As Alan says on the transfer window, we need more players coming in before the window closes next Wednesday evening.

If that doesn’t happen then Mike Ashley again is risking another relegation – that would be his hat-trick of relegations while the owner of Newcastle.

Ashley said he would help Rafa to bring in new players and he should, therefore, deliver, especially after he didn’t keep his word last summer.

Three new players – a striker, a goalkeeper and a midfield player is really what we need.

Whether we’ll get them in is anybody’s guess but out January transfer window under Ashley has been poor.

We did bring five Frenchmen in five years ago when we were again struggling with relegation when Mike Ashley was personally involved.

We do have a chance on Sunday and Rafa with five changes from his best side on Sunday (because of the Burnley game on Wednesday night) can still field a strong team.

We could shock Chelsea on Sunday, and that would give our players a much-needed confidence boost.

Then we can go on and beat Burnley and Crystal Palace in our next two league games.

Wouldn’t that be something?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SPRINGY

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM

Would be interesting to get shearers view on the strikers we’ve been linked with?…maybe someone will ask him on twitter or something!Lol

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Well there’ll be one or six posters on here praying this new guy, if we get him fails. It might end up getting us relegated if he is but they’d suffer that to say I told you so.

• firebug666

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM

Giovanni van Bronckhorst is hoping to keep Nicolai Jorgensen at Feyenoord despite interest from Newcastle United.

Friday came with news that Feyenoord had rejected Newcastle’s second offer for the Danish striker, believed to be £15 million. The Rotterdammers are reportedly holding out for at least £20 million to let Jorgensen leave.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Van Bronckhorst was asked about Jorgensen, who is back in the squad after missing the draw with Utrecht through suspension. He said, “I want to keep the team together, that seems clear for me.

“I would like to keep him at the club, he is an important player.

“I know there is contact, but it is not very clear how or what. I am waiting for information from Martin van Geel.”

On how Jorgensen is responding to the speculation he added, “Jorgensen is very cool underneath.

“He knows that Feyenoord decide what is going to happen.

“I can put him in on Sunday, it’s not in his head.”

• lochinvar

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:16 PM

” I would like to keep him” is different to ” we are going to keep him”

• willowdalerez

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Couple of thoughts on the day’s ‘news’ (if you can call it that).

“Newcastle will double Jorgensen’s wages to £50K/week” that could be a mistake. If we sign him and he flops and we go down, we will be stuck with another Colback on our wages bill unless he signs a real short contract like 1 to 2 years. Also if it’s not just rubbish and we can actually buy Jorgensen for 18M why aren’t we signing Slimani for 20M when we know he can play and score in the prem?

Rafa’s interview to the french press is very worrisome. The french press don’t give a toss about NUFC so it has to be about Rafa’s future and Rafa appears to be putting himself in the shop window.

Otherwise it looks like another day under Ashley… No money where the links are.

• Mr Funk

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:18 PM

Seems like NUFC we need to stump up around £18 million.

• toon kk

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:20 PM

Jail
    I don’t think anyone will want him to fail.
    And you can’t be fan if anyone wants us to go down.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:31 PM

Bloody buses.

Who valued this Danish/Dutch bloke at 20m anyway? Ah yes, the club who are trying to sell him (and now the press think that’s what he’s worth).

BUT

They bought him for 3M a year ago, so, even allowing for doing OK for himself this season in the shitty league he’s being playing in, 20M+????

Give yer heeds a shake cloggies, he’s worth half that tops.

So in this situation, I agree with the club’s approach.

Although saying we’re about to break our transfer record on a striker WHEN THEY KNOW WE’RE NEGOTIATING WITH THEM, is the worst bit of PR you could ever imagine.

Jeez, apart from the playing staff (and some of those ain’t good), what a shower of shit top brass we have.

It’s frankly embarrassing.

• Online Guy

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM

A Pain in the blog

This is a blog for talking about Football

Not a place to come and attack people .

• Online Guy

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:50 PM

A pain in the blog

Always amazes me when someone gets Moderated on here ..they come back blaming everyone but themselves for THEIR own actions !

They need to look at what they wrote down for all to see..they need to look at how they attacked the other person ..look at themselves.

They arrive back here blaming the person they attacked ..even though that person they attacked has never spoke to them ..ever.

It’s like the criminal fraternity ..when they get punished they blame everyone but themselves..I was fitted up Guv ! I Should know .. I know loads of them . Some take it on the chin ..some go into denial

Ask yourself ..do I blame the person I attacked ..unprovoked..or do I blame myself for my own disgusting actions .

Take responsibility for yourself ..then ask yourself ..is it the fault of the person I attacked ?or was it something I wrote in the first instance.

The real answer is its not the person you attacked ..It’s You !

• Rotonda heights

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Tut tut Moanster !! You’re not much crack at this name calling lark are you. Not exactly king of the one liners or side splitters are you! I can only give you 3 out of 10 for that rather lame and frankly pretty poor effort. Mind you, if you were a wit you’d be half right.

No seriously though, you need to stick at what you’re good at. You see I am questioning. I am questioning what that could possibly be. At the moment you are clearly not appreciating the need to know your limitations and to stop having delusions of competence. My people skills are just fine, it’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:53 PM

We know how to get players in. By making decent offers. That doesn’t mean players aren’t over-valued but we’re in a desperate situation and Rafa wants reinforcements. It’s very clear what has to happen. Let’s see if Mikey can force himself to do it.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:59 PM

I want to see Jorgensen succeed if we get him. And I want us to stay up but the owner has to do his job as promised (supposedly). Give Rafa the money to bring in the players he wants. If Jorgensen is one of them then so be it. But let’s get on with it and stop making excuses. Nobody wants to hear anything from Ashley if the window closes and we haven’t bought anyone. Excuses won’t change anything.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Five more days and we’ll know the truth of it. Either Ashley will support Rafa with money to bring players in or he won’t. I’ll be surprised if we get more than one more player. And it had better be a striker.

• toonluvva

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:35 PM

@ToonKK #7

It’s a reflection of how disillusioned many NUFC fans are with Mr Ashley that some, in the darker moments, are thinking that relegation will see the back of him.

That’s a really sad fact.

HWTL!