Hesitating To Sign Striker Target Is A Huge Risk For Newcastle

Just what we didn’t want to hear is what the Chronicle are reporting today that Feyenoord boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst is expecting Newcastle’s pursuit of Danish striker Nicolai Jorgensen to go to perhaps the last day of the transfer window this Wednesday.

Why?

Feyenoord do not want to lose their striker, but they will part with him for a cool £20M, but Newcastle are still said to be £5M short with their second bid, which was reported to be £15M.

Why does it take so long for Newcastle to get a player in the transfer window, when we wait as we try to get the very best price possible – that’s a dangerous game to play these days.

Nicolai Jorgensen – why is buying him
taking so long?

This is what Giovanni van Bronckhorst has said about the possible deal:

“Could we face a situation where we lose Nicolai 24 hours before the deadline?”

“That would be tough for us.” “But crazy things happen in the last stage of the transfer window.”

“This is why we look at our own list of targets for a replacement if necessary.”

“But what makes is hard for us is that the names on our list, might not be available at such a late stage or in the winter window.”

“I don’t want to lose him at all.” “I want him to stay here and I want to keep the team together, which we have built.”

“Nicolai is an important player. He was our top scorer last season.”

“He helped us win the league for the first time in 18 years.”

“It means he had a major contribution with all his goals (he scored 21 league goals in 32 appearances).”

“When the bigger clubs from the Premier League come in, they can just take your player.”

“Their financial power is huge, so much bigger than ours.” “It is difficult to compete.”

“I know the two clubs Newcastle and Feyenoord are in contact.”

“I am waiting to hear from our Director of Football Martin van Geel if there is an update on the situation.’”

“In midweek he did not play because of a one-game suspension.’” “I knew Nicolai is being looked at by a lot of clubs.”

“As top scorer in Holland, a striker in the Danish national team, going to the World Cup, he is a player who is wanted on the international transfer market.”

“Right now I am counting on playing Nicolai on Sunday in our home game against Den Haag.”

That’s an attempt by the Feyenoord manager to hike the price of his Danish striker, but he doesn’t seem to know much about what’s going on behind the scenes.

It would not be a good sign if Jorgensen is allowed to play on Sunday.

There also seems little chance of Feyenoord buying a replacement this month unless Newcastle allow Aleksandar Mitrovic to go on loan or even swapping him for Jorgensen.

If things happen like in the past, then Newcastle will hesitate about buying Jorgensen for such a high price – a record transfer fee for Newcastle – and a club like West Brom will come in and buy him for £20M in the wink of an eye.

We have seen this picture before with Newcastle hesitating about paying out big money for a player.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mr Funk

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:45 AM

I think NUFC should come out with a public £18 million (20 Million euro) offer – that way people will know what has been bid.

• Fishermen53

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM

That’ll be the final nail in the coffin for me

• jazzyp

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:54 AM

Ashley will only do the bare minimum to keep us afloat lads so get use to it.
    He has no interest or passion for the club and will continue to play God with the future of the club for the course of his tenure

• kakaobi

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Ashley you’re exhausting and frustrating Feyenoord plus with those stupid bids your wasting there time

• TudorCrisps

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:01 AM

I think if he’s not in their squad for their game on Sunday he’s as good as ours

• goalseeker

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:02 AM

This is what makes the fans so frustrated Charnley tries (and fails) to imitate Ashley by gambling in the hope that the other side backs down first. Wrong in this case especially as in so many others. The club does not need to sell players, he happens to be important to them they will just hold out in the belief if Newcastle wants him they will get a knee tremble as the days slip by and finally come up with an acceptable offer. Charnley you are one of the worst negotiators I have come across in all my years as a professional negotiator, (it was my job) if, and it is a big if, Ashley has said go for what Rafa wants, pay the money €22 million and get the player in so Rafa can introduce him to the team have a few training sessions before Wednesday’s game and give us a chance of staying up. While you sit with your finger up your proverbial we should have signed a midfielder and goalkeeper. Or would that give you palpitations? The player keeping us in the PL will repay the transfer fees a few times over you dim wit. You are not being clever you are being an idiot there is a time to play hard which is when you are the selling club, not the buying club. You know he is worth more than €15 mill so why offer it.

• Jib

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM

goalseeker

Ha ha ha ha ha
    I see Ed has the bullshitter magnet set at full.

Jeez – I love this blog
    😀

• Munster Mag

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:11 AM

Article in the Express saying jorgi is a bargain at 20 Mill. Seems a bit OTT as he only cost 3mill but the more I read the more I want him. Come on Fats get it done.

• Bambams

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM

What annoys me is the double standards by Ashley.

Calling out Stavely in relation to the alleged 250 million bid yet whatever a club values their player at he does exactly the same – low bid.

However that is fine when you are mid table not facing another relegation fight. If this is the player Rafa wants then sign him.

Then you hear they want to tie Rafa down to a longer contract (No doubt with a huge walk out/buy out clause)

The man has no morals or shame

• Jib

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM

Tudor
    They play Utrecht
    van Bronckhorst might put him on the bench
    and bring him on near the end to say farewell.

• Bigjim67

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:19 AM

If Rafa thinks he’s what we need, pay the £20m and stop pi$$ing around. I’m sick of it now! Roll on 1st Feb.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Not impressed at all by this player.

Waste of money if you ask me and from a lighter league it’s a massive risk to get a player from the Dutch league.

I don’t know what Rafa sees in him and if this player doesn’t impress the fans will be on him as well as Rafa.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM

if ash is so tight with money and still looking to sell (maybe?) then surely we could have got some good loans in, ie another PL one and then some overseas players looking to get in to WC squads, without even the need to spend 20m, which of course Ash would add on to the eventual selling price of the club. Really wish we’d got Fabian Ruiz at Betis for his 13M buy out clause as my Spanish pals tell me ”el es clase distinto”.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Can anyone shed a light on this player?

Seems similar to Joselu!

Is he fast, strong, skilled?

All I know is that he’s tall and can get in some good positions but that’s that!?

• TomaKaThor

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:40 AM

It’s so obvious this won’t happen, if we really wanted him we would just put in a bid straight away of 18 million and if that gets rejected bump it up to 20 million immediately, then either give them what they want or move on, but we will drag it out make a bid at the last minute that is still way below what they want. And you guessed it we just couldn’t get the deals we wanted over the line.

• woodey

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:15 PM

see Ashley failed in bid for Brixton market. maybe money on players . 30 million up for grabs, there again why spend a pound when you like to spend a penny.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:14 PM

To cut a long story short, hes not coming!