Rafa – I Love The City, Fans, Everything About Newcastle – Really Pleased To Be Here

Rafa has given an interview with the local press today and he says he has told owner Mike Ashley what he thinks about a contract extension, and he says Mike now knows how he feels about Newcastle.

The very good news is that Rafa has praised the City, the fans and the huge potential of the club, and he says he’s really pleased to be at Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez – I love the City, fans, and everything about Newcastle

No – I am not making that up – that’s what he has said in an interview with the Chronicle today.

This is what Rafa said:

“I told Mike what I thought about the contract extension.”

“He knows my opinion, and we don’t have to talk now. I don’t have any problem with my future.”

“I’m really pleased to be here and I love the city, the fans, the potential, everything.”

“Obviously I have more information now, it’s just a question of doing what we have to do. It’s just to ensure the team is doing well.”

“I can give my opinion in terms of football operations, but everything is subject to the financial position of the club.”

“I give names, have some information and  feedback from Managing Director Lee Charnley, and then I give my opinion.”

“For me, I have to make sure we are doing things in the right way, and if we have this common idea then I am not worried about that.”

“The main thing is that we have to be on the same page – that’s pretty simple.

“We have to be sure we stay in the Premier League.””

Rafa’s waiting to see if Ashley and Charnley can deliver the players he wants before the window closes, and that’s crucial if Mike Ashley wants to get Rafa to sign a new extended contract at Newcastle.

Rafa and Newcastle have had a difficult season so far, but Rafa seems to take it all in his stride and seems to have nerves of steel.

He’s got a great temperament and character and just seems to love the work he is doing at Newcastle – you can tell that by the upbeat way he conducts his press conferences and his positive demeanor on the training field.

Whoever is the owner in the summer it would be fabulous news for our fans if we are still a Premier League club and Rafa signs a new extended contract to stay at the club.

Drinks all around if that happens.

And then hopefully the summer transfer window can be one of the best we have ever had.

Yes – there’s a lot of hope in that statement.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Ultimatum set.

• Bambams

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM

I think this window will pave the way for any future we could have under Rafa

I always hope that the press are right when you hear ‘Signings to keep us in the league’…..But it just looks like Charnley is happy to be the link ( pick up wages) and take the wrath when we don’t bring players in.

“Could agree a price”

Ashley would twist on 20 !

• Bigjim67

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM

He can’t be happy with the way things are run, surely.

• hibbit

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:57 AM

it really is as if the doomsday clock is ticking down on the the club.
    massive massive gamble ashley appears to be taking with the club future

• one fine day

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:59 AM

Sing in the corner ,
    From previous 🙂
    Good feet but maybe to similar to mitrovich for rafas liking as he always goes his own way ….I’ ll get me coat

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:59 AM

I wouldn’t panic we will get 2 more players but we have to ensure we have outgoings all set up and agreed first , that’s what the hold up will be.

Balancing the books is the most important , so without players lined up to go out everything will be on HOLD

I expect it all to kick off mid Monday

Outgoings : incomings

Max net spend 7 Million

Gut feeling

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:01 AM

mitro – sold
    Colback – loan
    Aaron’s – loan
    Woodman – loan
    Saviet – loan to buy

Striker – in
    Keeper – in

• bettyswallocks

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:02 AM

Surely we have to sign someone in this window after all the public statements from Rafa on his requirements and expectations from Ashley. Didn’t fat boy say he would make funds available if the club wasn’t sold by January.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Having read Online Guy’s posts from last night I can only conclude that he is an extremely unpleasant individual. When he dies if he is given an enema they’ll be able to bury him in a matchbox.

• Jib

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:14 AM

Be interesting to see Feyenoords
    team/squad this afternoon

• beermonkey

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM

betty

i think it was ashleys lawyer that said funds would be available
    but i would appear they knew the best part of a month ago the sale wasnt going to happen
    so how come we are 3 days away from the close of the window and one loan signing

• Chas

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM

On VAR it is not clear when it is going to be used.
    is it going to be used on a goal scored? Or every time a player complains?
    Why wasn’t it used on Firmino’s penalty that hit the bar? Looking at the replay you can see that Foster was off the line. It all needs to be reviewed.
    Also what about delays in game caused by reviews. Pardew said in post match interview that the delay caused Robson Kanu’s muscle injury.

• Chas

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Cat amongst the pigeons if he starts.

• one fine day

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Jib @10
    Reminds me a bit of mickey droy the old Chelsea stalwart

• Chas

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Flurry of deals always in last few days. Nothing unusual just relax Ashley will realise the importance of getting bodies in. Just like he did with 5 French signings a few years back.
    He just loves the drama of it all. High stakes roller.

• Frank pingles come sock

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:23 AM

I think he will start and play and score

It’s championship standards in the Dutch league

Need premier league experience to save us from the drop in my honest opinion

In fact without any more addictions I see us staying up by the skin of our teeth

• toonincheek

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:24 AM

Looking very very suspicious that all these names
    are being ‘leaked’ at the end of the transfer window.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Beer………… As Chas points out Ashley does seem to enjoy the last minute drama of the late deal. He also won’t get embroiled in a bidding war or be held to ransom by selling clubs.
    Anyway all will be revealed in a few days and woe betide the fat controller if he doesn’t part with a few quid this time.

• Chas

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:29 AM

We need to start scoring goals and winning our home games. Beating Burnley and league priority over FA Cup run.

• Singinginthecorner

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Morning all

This just stinks of same crap different window. I just wish I had something positive to post on here here’s hoping I’m proved wrong.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Here is where Mike Ashley the gambler keeps getting it so wrong. He baulks at paying an extra million each time when for decades and especially recently all those players are worth more in six months. He could have got better players than he’s chasing now for a lot less a year ago, and if we miss out again these mediocre players will be worth another ten million after the new TV deal. Cairney has had a bad season and Fulham want to sell him, but they’re demanding 30 now. Shelvey was equally as good last year, is younger, and has EPL experience. Does that mean Shelvey is worth 30m too?

Mike has to gamble TV will go up, the premier league is taking off in China and the bars are now paying their subscriptions as they will lose their licence otherwise. These emerging countries will be paying a tonne more in a decade as the younger generation start earning. Mikes a fool not to spend now.

• Munster Mag

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Thought it was mickey troy? Ashley has to spend and I think he will. Oddly he seems to think player values decrease if you leave it to the last minute, which isn’t true. It’s like people claiming to get great holiday deals by waiting till the last minute, but in reality losing out on the resorts they would have wanted because the smart got them at best prices months earlier.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:39 AM

toonincheek #18, not really we’ve been linked with 1,001+ over the last month anyway.

• Munster Mag

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:42 AM

But Betty, woe betide what? Woe betide us more like. Ash doesn’t care much. It’s even hard to say how relegation wud affect him.

• Munster Mag

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Dubai, did you ever hear back from the people who said Saudi royalty was involved?

• Tsunki

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:45 AM

“Pushed as to whether he would extend his contract as long as Newcastle survived, Benitez smiled and responded: “Then the conversation [over a new deal] will be easier.””

Not usual for the employee to be in the driving seat but Ashley does have a problem if he doesn’t back him up, benitez goes, and the sale price sticker goes on.

• Munster Mag

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:46 AM

The transfer window has us fixated so much that nobody is talking ré the match!

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM

I think we’ve done our transfer business now and i don’t expect anyone else in

I know Rafa doesn’t do the transfer itself but he’s in London and surely a new signing would want to speak to his potential new manager and be shown around ground training facilities etc.

For a proper medical it’s got to take around 48hrs so anyone brought in would be rushed through so it’s done and dusted as far as I can see.

What I don’t understand is Why Ashley would offer Rafa a new contract and expect him to sign given how he’s failed to back him despite Rafa and a lot of pundits and media saying how we need players in. I’d have thought Ashley would have at least got a signing or two to make it look like he had a interest in the club or look like he was going to back the manager in the future.

The contract offer and no backing is very strange to me, I think and hope the contract offer is because Ashley intends to sell and needs Rafa here to make the sale, I’m probably clutching at straws and it’s the hope that kills.

Hope I’m wrong and we do get a cpl players in but atm I’m not that optimistic.

• Tsunki

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Spoof from last night – sorry but you’re still missing the point. The conversation wasn’t about loding jobs at all, read it again ” bonny lad”. It’s about being a paid patsy.

• Tsunki

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Losing. Where’s autocorrect when you actually need it?

• Bigjim67

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Jib@10 can i unsee that now please!!!….

• Munster Mag

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Tsunki I had read that positively… Ie get me two more decent players and I’m staying, nó issue…. Of course the opposite is also true…. Don’t back me and I’m outta here. Rafa seems happier though??

• Nufc-83

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Optimistic panda that’s not very optimistic lol. I am pretty certain we will see at least 1 other player through the door even if it’s a panic buy last minute.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Munster……..woe betide Ashley’s hopes of retaining Rafa and thus avoiding relegation and also woe betide his chances of finding a new buyer or rekindling his dealings with Amanda. Rafa won’t accept a load of bull excuses this time I’m sure of that and as Jib highlighted earlier Rafa has a lot of power and influence at the club now.

• one fine day

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Getting desperate but starting to think HBA wouldn’t be a bad shout as a number 10 .Splits opinion on here but worth a gamble and a lot better than what we are apparently being linked with .would give us something extra and has unfinished business with us

• DubaiMicky

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Munster – just to add that the bids have been made and Ashley is refusing to talk to them and hasn’t spoken to them this year. His son-in-law has but he’s the monkey not the organ grinder.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:10 AM

Nufc

More optimistic than the summer when I said a week before the end we wouldn’t get anyone else in.

We’ve seen this all before, talk is cheap!

Bullshit Bishops PR doesn’t cost as much as a transfer fee and wages, th as why were linked to everyone who can kick a ball.