Benitez Reveals His Priorities Before Wednesday Night

Rafa Benitez will have his hands full these next three days preparing the team for what is a crucial home league game on Wednesday night against Burnley.

We were well beaten 3-0 at Stamford Bridge yesterday in the FA Cup 4th round, and while we played well in the first 30 minutes, Newcastle fell apart once Chelsea went 2-0 up just before halftime.

But we don’t play Chelsea every week, so there’s hope.

Rafa Benitez – preparing the team for Burnley game

Rafa has talked about what his priorities are before Wednesday night as reported in the Shields Gazette today:

“I think our fans are very clever.”

“They know what’s going on, and I want to make sure I don’t let them down, so I want to keep going, because I’m a professional and I want to do well.”

“We have to be sure that everyone has the same message, the same ideas, and that we are all on the same page.”

“We have to keep working hard. I will keep working as hard. I’m working now with all my staff and all my players to improve the team.”

“Until the 31st, I have to give my confidence,”

“No, we didn’t have time (to talk to Charnley yesterday). We were just concentrating on the (Burnley) game.”

“I just have to be worried about Burnley – and that’s it,”

Let’s hope that Ashley and Charnley can come through and show some ambition with two or three players signed in the final three days of the transfer window.

That’s what we need but the players have to be good ones.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM

In the championship we would be cheaper more attractive. But we would have a problem. By that time Shelvey, Ritchie, Perez, Merino, Atsu, Lascelles would be gone along with Rafa Benitez and we would be doing well to get comfortably mid table with our new coach dredged from the unending list of championship manager suspects.

• Ron Knee

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Tsunki

I think you’re right. There’ll be a massive sell-off if we’re relegated.

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:41 AM

I think Lascelles would stick around if we go down which is looking a good bet at present. If the sides around us strengthen which again is a good bet then it is goodbye to the PL for sure.
    I just don’t understand the gamble Ashley is taking with the club and Manager because so long as the tenure is under his ownership then we will be nothing more than an abject failure, Which he knows solely hangs at his door. What does he get out of it or achieve by taking this stance every season as he must appreciate what a relegation will cost again, Only this time we have no big time Charlie’s to sell off to rebuild the team

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:44 AM

So, a quick breakdown –

“I think our fans are very clever. They know what’s going on, and I want to make sure I don’t let them down, so I want to keep going, because I’m a professional and I want to do well.”

The majority of fans in social media are calling it right, it’s a poor situation and it’s all on Ashley to sort this out – but so far it’s not looking good. However it won’t be because the lads or i haven’t tried because out of the whole club, we are the professionals. I’ll honour the fans and my contract so I can say at the end I did my best.

The club needs to get it’s act together or this project has a limited lifespan.

It’s looking like the team i started this season is the one I’m finishing with.

“Until the 31st, I have to give my confidence,”

There’s nothing more to say, they know what they need to do.

“I just have to be worried about Burnley – and that’s it,”

Can’t do anything about the situation right now so I’m going to keep my end of the bargain while Charnley hopefully does his.

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:46 AM

I think Rafa is looking at getting his house in order before he does a runner

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Jazzy that’s romanticism above professionalism. I don’t think lascelles would take another championship year when he know he would slot in to another premier league team and his skill will improve. We will be doing well if he stays if we don’t get relegated imho

• Mr Funk

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:51 AM

I must say this all has a depressing familiarity to it

• Hg

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:51 AM

During the Llambias era we had a transfer policy that created mercenaries. Players were brought to the club for resale value instead of what they. brought to the team. Ashley has been focussed on the bottom line. The question is would Staveley have been fundamentally any different?.
    Just how realistic was her talk of a £200 m transfer war chest when she seem to be struggling to find an additional £50 million?

Newcastle don’t have a team that is any better than those around us. As Benitez has said we have the youngest Squad. Shelvey has experience at this level but aside from Lascelles, Merino and maybe Le Jeune, Clark , Atsu would get close to the teams of our relegation rivals.
    What happened to the policy of bringing in players with experience of the PL. Has Benitez been slow getting the likes of Colback, who are on big wages out of the door. Or is this simply a further legacy of the Llambias/ Carr regime?

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Rafa is basically saying we can all see the big picture and he knows he is going to be sold out.

Bishops crew are feverishly drawing up their spin scenarios in preparation for the fallout i reckon. As their website says –

” We develop and deliver hard hitting campaigns, create credible brand narratives and run a highly active press office for numerous brands.”

Lovely.

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:53 AM

And just as i post that up pops the mercurial Hg.

Brand new poster with a brand new narrative. Hard hitting and above all….credible. 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:54 AM

tsunki

sadly a lot of people swallow it.

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Tsunki

Morning mate
    I am hoping that Lascelles being our captain is an honourable guy simply because he comes across that way.
    Maybe blind optimism on my behalf as with every transfer window we have with good old Mikey.
    My worry is I don’t think we will come straight back up if many do bail , As what players would be left would be Championship standard at best

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Welcome to Shillbury-upon-Tyne!

Let the spin commence!

😀

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM

tsunki

what have i missed about hg ? is he a multiple or other?

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Rotonda ; if you put enough sugar on it you’ll swallow any amount of……

• Tsunki

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:59 AM

Jazzy – in times gone by I would say Jamaal would be that one-club loyal diehard, but times have changed and I’m sure he is aware his experience at our place has toughened him up and he has a credible future as a possible England player if he applies himself. It won’t happen if he continually figures in a championship best 11. No way. And I for one would not blame him, rather thank him for his sterling services.

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM

jazzyp

if some club makes the right offer he’ll be sold , Lascelles might want to stay but Ashley will no doubt sell

• lochinvar

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Tsunki@4
    Rafa “Until the 31st, I have to give my confidence,”

Meaning : If this window closes with poor results, I’ll work to the end of the season and leave, regardless of staying up or not.

So does that infer no confidence after the 31st then ?
    We believe that Rafa’s contract is good to June 2018 but after that date he can leave or another club can move for him without incurring the penalty clauses.
    Rafa will have a period of notice period in his contact – June seems about right, he’ll go then if nothing happens now and relegation follows. If we secure players, stay up and PCP come in for the Club then he’ll stay but I increasingly think that he’s a vested interest in the PCP proposals and could become Director of Football or MD of a new regime.

Yet in the meantime he’s indicated or was it the club PR that an extension to his contract is under discussion.

Ashley is playing with fire but it’s Charnley driving the Fire Engine. He has 48 hours to bring the fire under control or it will be declared a Major Incident.

• nufcalex

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Can’t see any other outcome other than relegation. Rafa is gone that’s for sure, his deadline has passed and he wont show it bothers him. When we go down we need to boycott the club it’s as simple as that until he sells up. Only then we can try and rebuild

• RUNAWAY777

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:07 AM

All out relegation sides are buying wba stoke brighton swansea and where left in limbo plenty on here calling ashley and co also really upset that we have not signed no one as yet but in reality no one will do out some people are rite 50.000 plus will turn up so as long as yous turn up, ashley does not care what we think of him are we sad yes as we turn up game after game to watch a mediocre team a best me personally i will pay at the turnstiles if iany seats available and fancy going to a game .

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Tsunki

Yeah that’s a fair assumption of where we are at now with players at all clubs and not just ours, And that can be said for Benitez as well.
    Rafa came here I’m sure with all good intentions and the promises of sterling from Ashley to actually go somewhere with the club. Instead he has been systematically down trodden like the fans and who would blame him if he walked as well, He owes us nothing now and will not stay any longer than he has to under Ashley
    But I think Ashley’s NUFC modus operandi is bust and it’s publicly bust, and known to all as a farce, regardless of what the barrel organ pundit-monkeys in the media say.We have to Stick in there: I feel Ashley’s not long for NUFC. Just the last coin from TV and he’s off.

• Slank

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:09 AM

If there is a takeover I very much doubt there will be any preliminary announcements or rumours. It will be a straight fait accompli. In much the same way he bought the club from Hall and Shepherd. And I doubt it will Staveley & Co who buys the club.

Ashley is known in business circles as a man who does deals behind closed doors well away from the limelight which is probably one of the main reasons why Staveley floundered so badly. She just didn’t understand the man.

• Ron Knee

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:09 AM

If PCP came back in the summer, it would offer Ashley the perfect excuse for doing nothing again.

• Ron Knee

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM

“He also guards his private life and for her to gatecrash his (much loved) curry with his wife would almost certainly have upset and annoyed him as it would any man.”

Do you believe that BS story?

• jazzyp

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Hibbit

I’m hoping this scenario doesn’t materialise mate if I’m honest. I think we have invested poorly simply because of the constraints that has been put upon Benitez by Ashley, Hence players like Josepoo and Manquilo coming here.
    Imagine Rafa and his crew spending all there time scouring the market for talent to just be bitch slapped every transfer window

• c-dog

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:14 AM

@hibbit, disagree. Lascelles would leave for a West Ham or an Everton. Better wage. More stable clubs. Chance of an England call up. How can we compete with that?

• Slank

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:14 AM

jazzyp @ 12

I think everyone has their price and I suspect that Lascelles is no different.

• lochinvar

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Shields Gazette report
    Feyenoord have given Newcastle United a deadline to raise their bid for Nicolai Jorgensen. The club has had two bids for the striker rejected by the Dutch club. Feyenoord, according to De Telegraaf, is taking a “tougher stance” with Newcastle ahead of Wednesday night’s transfer deadline. Jorgensen’s club have reportedly told United that they will break off negotiations unless they come up with a “higher offer” by early Monday evening. Feyenoord rated Jorgensen, 27, in the £20-million bracket. Newcastle have bid £15million.

Well at least Bishop can say that Charnley tried but it was their fault for stopping negotiations at the last minute ” Honestly teacher – it was him over there that did it, not me ”

Take your finger out Charnley and I’m not talking about the dyke otherwise Holland gets flooded

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:20 AM

c-dog
    disagree about what ?????
    i’ve just said he’ll be sold

• Geordie-john

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Poor Rafa, His reputation is on the line as well as the thought of letting us Geordies down. I’m pleased he is still here but can’t for the love of me understand why ?
    What a bloke you are Rafa !

• SPRINGY

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Morning all,
    Im not so sure there would be a mass exodus if we went down, especially if we are took over…most of our players are championship quality and they’ll still be great money for that league…. whether rafa stay is another question altogether….but lets see if we survive before talking championship.

• RUNAWAY777

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Well i guess nothing will happen glade me and wife are going see a new house up stocksfield take the distraction off nufc today will check later but really cant see owt happening soon.

• Nufc-83

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM

C-dog is bang on Lascelles would definitely leave for a club who are battling for Europe and nobody can blame him at all if he does.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM

nufcalex

no one will boycott. ashley can always count on that

• Slank

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM

SPRINGY

‘..but lets see if we survive before talking championship…’

Sound advice. Far too many gloom merchants. Makes one wonder, at times, whether they are actually Newcastle fans.

• Spotlight Kid

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Geordie-john (#30)

‘I’m pleased he is still here but can’t for the love of me understand why..’

A small matter of having to cough up £5m in order to do a runner, if reports are to be believed. Ashley’s got this special way with employment contracts at all levels. Rafa will need rehab and counselling once he finally escapes SJP.

• c-dog

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM

@hibbit about Lascelles wanting to leave. If he’s ambitious he’d rather play at about 15 other premier league clubs rather than with Mike Ashley’s Newcastle United.

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Nufc-83
    if you read back i think we all agree

think there’ll be a queue of bidders Ashleys will be clapping his hands

• c-dog

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Ulloa to Brighton, Ndiaye to stoke. Direct rivals showing ambition to avoid relegation which we do nothing. Jokeshop.

• hibbit

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM

c-dog
    i don’t know what the problem is ??
    but for the last time i totally agree the kid will be gone !!!

1 2 3 6