Newcastle Fans Showed Their Class Last Night – Two Major Milestones Ahead

Last night we saw new banners unfolded at St. James Park with comments from the great Kevin Keegan.

Newcastle finally got three good players in last month with two arriving last night – so Newcastle cut it close – but maybe that will be the last transfer window that Ashley will be the owner of the club.

Hope so.

Rafa Benitez has had to go through all of this nonsense last month while he was also preparing the team for vital games, but he has done really well and taken everything in his stride.

He is the perfect manager for Newcastle United, and his nerves of steel and a positive attitude and upbeat demeanor stand the world-class manager in good stead.

Rafa had called for fans to back the team and stick together, and it was probably fitting that a banner was unfurled last night – which was basically a message from the past and Kevin Keegan – one of the best managers we have ever had.

That quote is readable in the above picture but just in case here’s Kevin’s quote in full:

“Don’t ever give up on your club, keep supporting it.”

“It’s your club and trust me, one day you will get your club back and it will be everything you wanted it to be.”

“Newcastle United is bigger than anyone.”

“It hurts I know but just keep going.”

“He is only one man. We are a city, a whole population.”

“Trust me.”

There are two major milestones ahead in the next several months.

One is to get to 40 points and be safe in the Premier League, and hopefully, during the next few months, there will be reduced distractions about Ashley selling the club.

The second is that once we are safe in the Premier League bidders will come back in to buy the club.

And then hopefully, Mike Ashley will finally give a huge break to the fans by selling the club.

It’s a recurring nightmare that Ashley will say he cannot get the price he wants for the club and therefore for the third time will take the club off the market.

That would be yet another huge Mike Ashley mistake he makes at Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Superb effort with those banners by the fans last night. Huge respect.

• hibbit

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:52 PM

this is for you catchy
    “Don’t ever give up on your club, keep supporting it.”

“Newcastle United is bigger than anyone.”

“It hurts I know but just keep going.”

“He is only one man. We are a city, a whole population.”

“Trust me.”

* UNLIKE YOU WE WON’T EVER GIVE UP ON OUR CLUB *

• magscar

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Quite agree – classy protest directed at Ashley and no one else – team unaffected on night so job’s a good un. Pity more not made of it on MOTD Sky etc. Sky and Talk Sport like a bit more hysterics and hyperbole of course.

• Munster Mag

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Re catchy’s posts ré rafa I think people need to calm down and stop giving abuse. I have criticised rafa at times, the same way I wud criticise a guy like mcclaren, who isn’t remotely in rafa’s league. But since when did this become a criticism free zone? Rafa himself wud find this odd. So on a positive side we have promotion, his work ethic and calmness, good communication with fans, strong team bond and hard work within a limited squad. On a negative side we have to question why an international striker gets zero chances, an average hit rate in recruitment and some odd team and tactical choices. Yes guys get flak for raising their opinions if in any way negative? Bonkers.

• Munster Mag

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Hibbitt, who says catchy is giving up supporting us?

• scout

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM

Think the stick that Joselu is getting is unjustified, the lad is trying his best. What do people want him to do refuse to play?
    That one that cannoned in off his shin against Liverpool could keep us up.
    I have seen so many wasters at Newcastle and non triers, he’s trying and that should never be forgotten.

Keep going big man your luck will come

• magscar

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:03 PM

My agreement was with Munster @1 not hibbit’s dig at Catchy. Don’t like witch hunt’s even if I don’t agree with person’s view point.

• twotonearmy

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:03 PM

Scout-

You’re right he is trying and he isn’t complete dross but he also isn’t strong enough to be our main striker.

With Slimani coming in we have a player that has proven he can perform at a higher level. I just hope that Rafa doesn’t keep Slimani as a sub, Joselu gets into some good positions but he does nothing with him. I’d rather have those chances falling to Slimani every day of the week.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Just caught up with comments and can’t really add much to what has already been said.

No, it shouldn’t have been a corner but it was given and nowt can be done about it now.

Joselu, why? Is it me or does he look like a younger Rafa, that might be a possible reason for him get in ahead of proper St. so often. I reckon there are a few people taking the p!ss in the MOM voting

And I am now feeling a little guilty of my criticism of Diame but whatever Rafa is feeding him, I want some.

Or alternatively I hope his twin stays with us and continues as he is doing.

Along with many others I was puzzled at the dropping of Shelvey and to add to that obvious mistake he didn’t even get on as a sub.

I didn’t expect Kenedy to start but if he can maintain the same level of performance he could really be our saviour.

Also if he does I would imagine Chelsea will want him back. 🙁

• consettmags

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:16 PM

I think as soon as slimani is available he starts just like Kennedy , another game with chances pass us by and this is why Rafa wanted business done by the 20th , Swansea and last night would have been 6 points had transfers been completed in time.

• Rob1971

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM

Beefman of course Rafa makes mistakes every manager even the best does, look at ferguson some of his signings were awful, obertan, anderson, djemba djemba, but the reaction to some on here wanting Rafa sacked is a joke, rafa is our best bet for any takeover to happen, if he is still our manager in the summer that is our best hope for Ashley to leave.

• hibbit

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Munster Mag
    so you think it’s acceptable the way catchy goes goes on the criticism he continually throws at match going fans for their support of rafa and the team well sorry i don’t

catchy doesn’t post he preaches and if you don’t belong to his little group your wrong no give and take on his behalf

Munster Mag i notice your not asking catchy to calm down that in its self tell it’s own story

• Rob1971

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Munster of course fans can criticise, but catchy is obvious in his hatred of Rafa, he has basically just written the 3 new signing off to failure on his last post, its basically we will get relegated and I will be proved right Rafa should be sacked, he is not criticise he is campaigning on here for Rafa’s sacking