There Were Some Good Performances Last Night – Here’s Our Man Of The Match

The only thing that was missing last night was the win, as Newcastle had chances to have put this game away before the end.

But we missed our chances once again last night – and this is too much of a recurring theme.

And we even got a penalty last night – yes that’s not a typo – we got a penalty when Kenedy was fouled in the first half  – but Matt Ritchie wasn’t on the field, and Joselu missed it.

It would have been good to win, and with striker Islam Slimani and goalkeeper Martin Dubravka coming through the door last night it could have been time to celebrate.

But no – Burnley equalized after 85 minutes after Lascelles had brilliantly headed home from a Kenedy corner 20 minutes earlier.

Kenedy – on his Newcastle debut he’s our Man of the Match

The number of points we have given up at home this season is staggering, but we have to start winning games – home and away.

But as Rafa said after the game, he was disappointed not to get the win, but there were a lot of positives to take out of the game.

We had some good performances, and Mo Diame had another excellent game in the center of the park, and at the moment Mo has to be our first choice for the holding midfield position.

Mikel Merino didn’t have a particularly good game, and that back of his has to be given a chance to fully heal, and of course, Kenedy looked excellent on the left wing.

He was the danger man for Newcastle, and it’s not a big surprise that he’s our Man of the Match with 60% of the vote.

Diame had one of his best games ever for Newcastle, and let’s hope the Senegal International can keep his good form going through the rest of the season.

Mo is also one of the few experienced Premier League players Newcastle have in the team.

Mo got 30% of the vote and those two were our best two players last night.

We now have to play the same on Sunday afternoon at Crystal Palace but also win the game – we must take those chances when they are presented – that’s the key to winning.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• H.Houdini

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:14 PM

Thought this was a place to post opinions and insights not a part of the Harvard debating class

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:17 PM

And the bus moves just as I post. 🙂

Just caught up with comments and can’t really add much to what has already been said.

No, it shouldn’t have been a corner but it was given and nowt can be done about it now.

Joselu, why? Is it me or does he look like a younger Rafa, that might be a possible reason for him get in ahead of proper St. so often. I reckon there are a few people taking the p!ss in the MOM voting

And I am now feeling a little guilty of my criticism of Diame but whatever Rafa is feeding him, I want some.

Or alternatively I hope his twin stays with us and continues as he is doing.

Along with many others I was puzzled at the dropping of Shelvey and to add to that obvious mistake he didn’t even get on as a sub.

I didn’t expect Kenedy to start but if he can maintain the same level of performance he could really be our saviour.

Also if he does I would imagine Chelsea will want him back.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Thing about Kennedy at Chelsea is he is just another player ! Here he will be the main man with everything expected to go through him and I think he will thrive in this environment!

An assist, penalty won and loads of other chances created by him is a great start and you can see why Rafa wanted him in the summer !

Personally would love to see him in the no 10 role with Slimani up top probably will happen against Man Utd I think !

• Slank

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Time to reflect. I blame Rafa for losing two valuable points.

Joselu should never be selected.

I hoped before the match that Rafa would start with Murphy and Kenedy on the wings with Atsu and Perez alternating between positions 9 & 10. And Diame and Shelvey in midfield with Shelvey pinging the balls forward.

But no. Rafa played that donkey Joselu. He has no pace, no trickery, no physical presence and no natural goal scoring instincts.

He played Atsu on the right which isn’t his most effective position, and it showed. Previously Atsu and Perez linked up well together and both have pace and trickery to cause defenders problems.

He played Merino who reminds me of Scot Parker and his endless pirouetting in midfield and getting caught out more often than not in possession. He rarely looks up, unlike Shelvey whose first instinct is to play the ball forward.. .

I thought Kenedy had a very good debut.

Diame was my MOTM. He has been consistently good in previous games. He used his physic to good effect to bully their midfield. He went on runs with the ball. He sprayed the ball around, okay some a bit way wood. He showed energy and commitment.

Lascelles, what would we do without him. A real captain and leader.

• KevinHann

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Kenedy did well but my vote definitely goes on Diame!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:25 PM

Also a word on Diame a total beast in midfield !

Playing like I thought he would when he joined us ! Coincidence that he is now not playing at no 10 that he is playing well?

• Rob1971

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Munster of course fans can criticise, but catchy is obvious in his hatred of Rafa, he has basically just written the 3 new signing off to failure on his last post, its basically we will get relegated and I will be proved right Rafa should be sacked, he is not criticise he is campaigning on here for Rafa’s sacking

• Rob1971

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Also Munster is it also fine for Catchy to abuse fans who are still supporting Rafa? is it fine for him to call us deluded and Rafa clappers? just because we still believe he is the best man for nufc?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Has that banner rattled your cage Slank?

• martoon

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM

While I’m quite pleased with the loan signings the thing I’m most happy about is we didn’t lose Lascelles. I’m quite surprised one of the big boys didn’t make a bid for him which woul

• Neil

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:34 PM

Interesting that Diame got so much of the vote. I wonder if he’d still get as much if people knew it was him that was supposed to be marking Vokes on corners yesterday. The 7 votes Atsu got must be a wind up as he was awful – Him and Joselu must’ve been arguing as to who was worse!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:34 PM

When will people acknowledge that we have the youngest squad in the PL and that Rafa was directly talking about Joselu when he said he signed the players he had to. Since when did everyone become ITK on what has happened between closed doors with Rafa and Mitro. Jaap Staam was one of the best defenders in the world at the time, he was out of line and Fergie got rid, does that put Fergie in the same bracket as Pardew.

• martoon

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:35 PM

*which would have tested our resolve!

• Toonces

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:37 PM

Catchy

I firmly believe that no manager, no player, is beyond criticism. Rafa deserves his share. It comes with the territory as a professional manager and coach. And that is what the blog is for.

Now as to your post, if you want Rafa gone, just say so. It’s your opinion. You present a case, but don’t clearly say what you want in the end. Part of me thinks you just want people to acknowledge that Rafa isn’t perfect and another part of me thinks you just hate Rafa and want him sacked.

As for blind faith and all this stuff about being in love with Rafa and no one having a balanced view – I think you are the one who’s blind to people who in fact have balanced views and will criticize him. There are plenty on the blog. You just seem to pretend they don’t exist. It is you vs. the clappers as you call them. No one else exists – unless they agree with you.

To me it’s not a zero sum game. I think most just recognize that Rafa is the best we can have at the moment. I question many of his decisions – especially the persistence with Joselu over Mitro, late subs, etc. But we are yet to see how the latest additions to the squad will do. Kenedy may be a game changer for us and is of a class we don’t have in the attacking set of players. We’ll see what Slimani can do – hopefully this sunday, and that will be the last we see of Joselu. As for the keeper, Darlow and Elliott just don’t inspire confidence and hopefully Dubravka, with his Champs and Europa League, and International experience will be a wall for us and anchor the defense.

• Slank

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Jail

What banner ?

• catchy in norway

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:44 PM

rob

when have i wrote our new players off? i think you read something i don’t write, I even gave examples LR and Ginola left wingers in the right positions.

and far from it being me hating on Rafa, more me very very frustrated with the man.

• DaveD1000

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Catchy like all of us is entitled to his opinion. I’m self confessed 97% happy clapper club member. Rafa does not walk on water. He is fallible. He is working with what he has got. We have no chance of top 10 with the squad as it is. I am expecting us to end the season roughly where we are now. ( and still hoping no TW spend means Sale is still on in some form). I still think Rafa is doing a job for the club.