Newcastle Beat Out Other Clubs To Sign Islam Slimani

There were some other clubs in for Islam Slimani once it was clear that Leicester City would loan their striker out for the rest of the season.

And Newcastle won the battle for the Algerian striker, and it seems two of our most significant advantages as a club – our fans and manager Rafa Benitez were the main reasons Islam wanted to come to Tyneside.

Slimani is the man who can hopefully put the ball into the back of the net when he gets a chance.

That inability at Newcastle this season has cost us lots of points and it cost us 2 points against Burnley on Wednesday night in the 1-1 draw, and we even missed a penalty in the first half.

🙁

Islam Slimani – explains why he chose Newcastle

This is what the 29-year-old striker has said about why he decided to join Newcastle over other clubs:

“It’s true there were a lot of clubs that were interested in me.”

“But knowing the power of the fans and crowd here and how great they are, and also speaking to the manager, it gave me the confidence to know that this was the right place.”

“Rafa Benitez is a big coach with a big reputation, so him calling and him being here had a big effect on my choice.”

It was a decent transfer window in the end, given the terrible situation we were in on Tuesday night.

We could have done with one or two more players in and to have signed some permanently.

That’s so Rafa doesn’t have to go looking for all his new players this summer.

But that’s Mike Ashley for you.

Mike Ashley will sell the club as soon as Newcastle are safe from relegation.

That’s the hope!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Just hope that the “main players” can stay injury free but we have a load of “cup finals” to win. It could be that 38 points will be enough to keep is up!

• Bambams

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Simon376

Fella I cannot be 100% sure it was him. But I was no more than 3 feet away and I was looking straight at him through driver door window and I immediately recognised him.

He was travelling into Newcastle on the eastbound heading towards Cowgate roundabout.

My thinking was he was behind an earlier consortium when Hoots was manager and tried to buy the club…..

We are told another party are a few weeks away from putting a package together. I don’t know maybe I am just desperate and want this current owner to leave.

I am sure it was Mcmahon though but maybe he was just up visiting Ant and Dec

Time will tell mate

• Bambams

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Just to add he was stopped at the lights…..

• DubaiMicky

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:52 AM

Was he driving Bambams? What was the car?

• lochinvar

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:57 AM

West Ham missed out on Algeria striker Islam Slimani, 29, because Leicester refused to deal with Karren Brady after the Hammers vice-chair made comments in a newspaper about the Foxes’ sacking of former manager Claudio Ranieri. Slimani has gone on loan to Newcastle. (Guardian)

Palace apparently went after Dembele but too late on the day.

Slimani – good decision. Welcome

• Bladey

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Watch what you say to certain bloggers as they will spit there dummy out and go crying to ed
    You know who you are well it didn’t work
    ASH OUT RAFA OUT

• Malta Mag

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:58 AM

I was one of the few who always looked at some positives about Ashley being our owner. I used to cite reasons such as the mess we were in prior to him taking over, I even warned about the possibility of the “grass always appearing greener”, “better the devil you know” etc etc but now I simply join the army who despise him. To think we teetered on the brink of that precipice once more on Tuesday night is nothing short of a disgrace. No credit whatsoever to him if we survive only to Rafa because under no circumstances could this transfer window be called anything other than a farce. Yes the three players we landed look useful but we could have had better and shouldn’t have had to wait till the final few hours of a transfer window to land such players. Sorry Ashley but I can’t wait till you disappear up your own arse and are never seen again. You’re a disgrace pure and simple

• Bambams

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:04 AM

DubaiMicky

It was a dark coloured 4×4 mate……I can’t remember the make.

I was stopped at the same lights driving in the opposite direction and we were both stopped. It was as we were pulling away I saw who I believe to be him.

• martoon

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Talking to a Leicester fan on my holidays and he just made a face when i asked him about Slimani! I said surely he is better than Joselu and he just laughed ‘ hmm mm!

• Binney

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:15 AM

Bambams, what did you see? I’m searching back but can’t find your old post.

• magicmac54

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Bambams, is your real name Walter Mitty he he he he, your post at least made me laugh out loud. HWTL.