This Player Has Nothing To Lose – Where Others Have Failed – He Can Succeed

It will be interesting to hear just how bad the Islam Slimani thigh injury is from Rafa during his press conference which starts in about 30 minutes time at Benton.

Interestingly Islam is not down as injured on the Physioroom.com website with Newcastle having Jesus Gamez out with an ankle injury and Florian Lejeune still out with a foot injury.

Leicester have just one injury – Wes Morgan is out with a hamstring injury.

Islam Slimani – can score goals for Newcastle

The Mail’s Craig Hope on Wednesday said he heard the thigh injury was not as serious as first thought and that Islam could be in the squad for the game at Crystal Palace on Sunday.

But Rafa will take no chances with the striker who could be our savior if he can score those goals for us – he’ll be a hero and rightly so.

This is what Slimani has said today:

“I think I’m a goalscorer,”

“That’s what this team needs – it needs more goals –and that’s what I’ll try to do in my time here; score as many goals as I possibly can.”

“Competition exists in any team you play for, and having good, healthy competition is great for the team and also for the players individually, so I think it’ll be a good thing for me and the club.”

“They key thing here is staying up and fighting for the team – and that’s exactly what I want to do.”

“My objective is to make this team better, fight to remain in the Premier League. That’s what I joined this club for.”

Slimani shouldn’t worry about missing chances – we have lots of strikers who have done that for us this season.

The Algerian should look at it the other way – every goal he scores is a success and can help save us from relegation, and he can even end up our top scorer.

Joselu has four league goals and has missed quite a few easy chances – hopefully, Slimani can take those chances.

He is much more talented than any striker we have on the books this season including Mitrovic, who is now on loan at Fulham.

And he is also experienced internationally, and in the Premier League so hopefully, he can settle quickly at Newcastle.

It looks like Kenedy has done that and he was our star man against Burnley.

Just think of it – a perfect Kenedy cross comes over and Slimani heads the ball home.

Love it!

The corner Kenedy sent over for Lascelles to head home was awesome.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM

I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t play the injury talk was probably a smokestream!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:24 PM

If Slimani is fit he has to start with Perez up top I think the 2 of them being provided crosses from Murphy and Kennedy would get goals.

Although I would love to see Kennedy as the no 10 behind Slimani with Murphy and Atsu/Richie on the wing as well

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:27 PM

He was training with the rest of the squad so unless it was very light stuff, he’s probably good to go.

• Markaccus

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Lcbp

Thing is, we have seen what Kenedy can do from out wide, so it’s probably better to keep him out there. I think having perez in the middle is a good idea, he and Slimani should be a good paring.

• Markaccus

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Tosselu should be kept away from the side altogether now.

• Markaccus

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Thats not a typo, either. Thats the name i’m going to call him from now on.

• Toondog2

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Essex ,

If Slimani especially is fit enough he must get on . Initially score a couple and then take him off later in second half. Time is of the essence now so get them all on. Only 14 games to go to ensure survival so no time to pratt about

• RobLeenio

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM

I reckon Slimani’s thigh injury was a Leicester City smokescreen to justify leaving him out of the squad for the midweek games while they shifted him out. I’m hoping to see him start v Palace. Who was the last of our strikers to score a debut goal? Cisse?

• Toondog2

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM

I have high hopes for Slimani and Kennedy to hep keep us up

Onwards and upwards

• Toondog2

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:42 PM

“help” even

• hibbit

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:53 PM

when Kenedy came off he look done in cramp in both legs , he knew he had put in a shift great performance by the lad

• toon kk

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Hope Rafa doesn’t just use Slimani as a impact sub, hopefully before the last ten minutes if he does , Joselu will take some knocking out of the starting 11.

• Tinman

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Hobbit, hopefully he has recovered in time for Sunday. Shouldn’t be a problem considering his age. Lack of match practice!

• Toonces

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM

If fit, Slimani must play.

My concern for Palace is how we handle Zaha and Townsend. I think Dummett will do the job on his side, I am concerned about the right side with Yedlin and (god help us) Manquillo. Yedlin has the pace to stay with Zaha. He just tends to over commit and then his pace works against him. Manquillo is just awful and I don’t think he should even make the bench. I suggest that Mbemba be considered on the right against Palace. He has good pace, is more physical than Yedlin and could perhaps do a better job on either Zaha or Townsend (should they switch sides). If Yedlin can keep his head, then I ‘m ok with him there but would prefer Mbemba for this match.

• hibbit