This Player Likely To Be Rafa’s Top Target This Summer

Newcastle tried to get striker target Nicolai Jorgensen in last month, but Mike Ashley would only go up to £15M, which was reported to be £1M more than the first offer, and both proposals were rejected.

Feyenoord wanted £20M for their 27-year-old Danish striker, and Rafa thought that was the going rate for a player as accomplished as the Danish striker.

The news of Newcastle’s interest seems to have gone to Jorgensen’s head just a little bit, and the striker now says he is ready to take the next step in his career.

Nicolai Jorgensen – Rafa likely to want him in this summer

But he also wisely adds that he is at Feyenoord and will continue to do his best for the Dutch club.

Jorgensen had this to say to Dutch broadcaster NOS:

“It was more of a matter for my agent and the club, you hear a lot, try to focus, but you’re also a bit confused.”

“As long as I am here, I give everything, I am happy here and I am proud to play for Feyenoord, and when the day comes, it is apparently the right time.”

“It’s a dream for every footballer to play in the Premier League, if I keep working hard, there will be a club.”

“I can also compete in another league, I think I’m ready for a next step, but now I’m at Feyenoord.”

Coded message – Newcastle – please come back for me in the summer.

The news was that Newcastle would double his wages, so as well as a step up in class in the Premier League,  it would be a step up in wages too – so it’s hard to criticize the 27-year-old because he’s still interested in Newcastle.

If we are still a Premier League club this summer, Rafa is still the manager, and we have new owners then it’s almost certain that Rafa will go after Jorgensen again this summer.

Jorgensen was Rafa’s number one target last month, and that is likely to remain unaltered over the next four months.

It’s also likely Rafa will want the deal done quickly and not wait until August to get players through the door.

An even if Mike Ashley is still the owner Rafa wants the way transfers are handled at the club changed, following the last three very poor transfer windows.

Maybe even Mike Ashley would pay £20M for Jorgensen this summer, but no, I’m getting carried away again – but he could bid £16M.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• H.Houdini

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:36 PM

• armoadam

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Why?

• jayphoto

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:49 PM

I doubt we’ll see him at Newcastle…premier league yes but not at Newcastle, he was a January target because the pool in January was limited and he was probably the best available for transfer within the budget…The summer sees ALOT more players moving and available, similarly the world cup changes things ie; prices, targets etc Not to mention the ownership of the club probably needs sorting by then which could be the difference between a 20m budget and a 100m budget really….

• jayphoto

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM

Denmark have got Australia and Peru in the world cup..with Eriksen behind him he could easily grab 3 or 4 goals in the group stages and get offered 200k a week to go to china or a big European club.. too much changes in the 6-7 months till summer window really for any targets reported to be taken seriously aside from the fact that the 3 loan signings could potentially play themselves into becoming a top target for transfer

• Munster Mag

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Jay I agree, wud like to see better, particularly in terms of pace. I keep saying I want us to develop like Leicester. Defensively compact but with searing pace to allow us to attack but also to recover shape quickly. I think they are admirable. Funki is a very young and he has issues but the question ré rafa knowing his best team is relevant. I’m not sure he does, but think it varies according to the opposition so it may not be an issue. My concern would be that rafa attacks these games. That didn’t happen in the relegation season and he was hammered a few times on sky for not getting enough players up for conner etc. We need a win soon but as I expected, kenedy is very good a slimani should give us more of a focal point. I still think Perez will make important contributions and slimani cud be key in this.

• jimiley

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM

Is that as a Premiership or Championship player????? We are 50/50 to stay up or go down. With Ashley or Staveley as the owner?. Hopefully planning for a lot better with Staveley. How can anybody plan anything anymore with such uncertainty about everything??
    Surely this article is just made up.

• toonincheek

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:31 PM

jimiley,

Professionals plan ahead for various scenarios, without knowing
    exactly what will happen.

Maybe they have carried on with their Boy Scout training?