Rafa Talks Glowingly About Newcastle’s Future – As Though He’ll Be Manager Long Term

If Newcastle can secure our Premier League status for another season then we should be a lot better off come next season.

A major reason for that is that Rafa will have money to spend this summer.

The money will come from the Premier League and also he will be able to sell some players who will bring good money into Newcastle – such as Mitrovic, Colback,  Gayle, and Mbemba.

Rafa Benitez – a happy looking manager in training (last season)

This is what Rafa has said about Newcastle’s future – assuming we can stay up –  as reported in the Chronicle today:

“It would be a very good achievement for any promoted team,”

“This club is a massive club, I’ve talked before about its stature, it’s bigger than Huddersfield and Brighton.”

“But we are coming new into the Premier League and other teams have two or three years’ worth of TV money.”

“They also have players with experience in the Premier League for the last two or three years.”

“We have some players with experience of the Premier League but we also have a lot of young players.”

“Sometimes our team is the youngest team in the Premier League.”

“You need experience, we are making mistakes because of lack of experience. “

“When we were making the same mistakes in the Championship, they don’t punish you for that.”

“We are in a learning process, people say ‘you have to learn quicker’, yes we have to learn quickly and we are improving but the priority for any promoted team is to stay up.”

“Next year, you have more experience, more money and maybe you can pick better players up .”

“If you want to compete against Premier League teams you have to stay there with them.”

“The 52,000 crowds, this city, everything we say about the club that is massive, will have more effect because we will be established in the Premier League.”

“I was quite lucky in the majority of the teams because at Liverpool, then even Real Madrid at the beginning, and at Napoli, I have had very good relationships with the fans.”

“The same at Tenerife and Extremadura. When you are successful normally the fans – they love you,”

“The fans here are fantastic but what I’m saying is always telling them: ‘It’s not just me, be sure our young players, the ones without experience, feel the support.’”

“They are doing really well and the atmosphere the other day against Burnley was quite good.”

And indeed if he can save us from relegation there’s no reason Rafa will not want to stay on Tyneside, other than for Mike Ashley.

If Ashley remains the owner and takes the club off the market, then we wonder if Rafa will want to put up with more nonsense from the owner?

Ashley taking the club off the market now seems like a distinct possibility.

What do you think?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:14 AM

Jib,
    29 is relatively young these days for a keeper, what I mean is that at that age, I don’t think we’ve signed a world beater.

• AncientC

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM

From the previous article:

’11 players who are very likely to leave Newcastle this summer.’

Jesus Gamez
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Dwight Gayle
    ———————————————————————-

Shelvey?

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Reading the blog over the last couple of days has made me come to the conclusion that the people who are constantly on Rafas back rate some of our players way more than they should.

Bigging up second rate players to put down the manager makes the mind boggle.

• lesh

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:25 AM

It goes without saying that Rafa talks there as though he will be around at Newcastle for some time to come. He’s being professional, trying not to demoralise his players, sending a message to Ashley that he’s committed to developing the club if Ashley isn’t and promoting the club to any potential buyers out there.

He’ll also be anticipating the likelihood that Ashley’ll be keen to sell any of our top players such as Lascelles to finance the club if we’re relegated.

As someone said on an earlier thread, Rafa’s got everything on his side and appearing to be fully committed leaving Ashley to take the flack if he’s forced out. However, that’ll mean nowt to Ashley as his main focus is his greed rather than public perception of him.

It can only be hoped that one of all of the Bailey spun potential £350m bidders come to the fore soon and the greedy git Ashley goes at the end of the season.

• lesh

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Bambams, Dubai M, Hibbit, Shirebrook, Sparky…….

Any of you guys heard any whispers that might give us hope there’s any buyers lining up to deliver our club from the blight that is Ashley?

No names of course but just a hint of interested bring hope.

• Liddle

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Panda
    Is this your idea of a conspiracy theory? Could you be more specific as I don’t know what the hell you’re on about?
    Matey this isn’t confused. Com.

• lesh

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:33 AM

* No names of course but just a hint of * interest’d bring hope.

• JohnJ

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:36 AM

I’ve said it before we’d be very hard pushed to attract a better manager than Rafa & I consider we’re very fortunate to have him. It’s by no means a foregone conculsion that we will fail to retain our Premier League status at the end of this season. I recall players such as Bobby Mitchel & Frank Brennan but I can never ever recall the top division being so tight (regarding the relegation factor) and with so many teams in danger of “The Drop” So all is not lost we have to get behind our team in any way that we can. We just do not give up at all. We all live in hope that the club finds a new owner in time for next year in the Premier League!

• JohnJ

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Meant next season!

• AncientC

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Panda was slagging Alan Shearer off yesterday for having an opinion.; something to do with Shearer saying Benitez will be off in the summer because Ashley has mistreated him. How dare club legend Shearer have an opinion. What is the problem some people have with Shearer anyway? One of the more common complaints you will hear is “Shearer stating the obvious.” He is a pundit for goodness sake.

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Liddle

For someone who calls me thick you sure need a lot of stuff explaining.

Try reading the rest of the blog instead of only coming on to comment to my posts then I wouldn’t have to explain everything to you.

• mactoon

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:39 AM

I don’t think the mistakes are due to a lack of experience, more a lack of quality. The other thing is, if Ashley decides to keep the club there is no guarantee he will release any sizeable amount of money for transfers regardless of the TV money we receive. It’s up to him how much he releases for transfers and he has a frugal history I doubt will change. The future under Ashley is far from bright.

• lesh

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM

The uber Rafa critics don’t like an objective opinion such as Shearer’s – it wasn’t the rant of an obsessive!

• hibbit

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Jesus Gamez to be offered a coaching role !!

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Ancient

I think you have me confused with someone else, I’m sure you’ll be apologising soon yet I won’t hold my breath.

• Jib

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:45 AM

lesh
    It can only be hoped that one of all of the Bailey spun potential £350m

How can anyone take your supposed insightful comments on the club seriously
    When you call Justin Barnes – Bailey
    or
    Did you mean Bishop ?

these names beginning with “B” can be very confusing
    I hope you didn’t mean Benitez !!!
    😀

• Jules

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Whilst I might be inclined to agree with mactoon something stops me.

• Jules

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Panda
    Whilst I am on. I and I suspect many others don’t also take kindly to your hang drawn and quartered view on Peter Beardsley.

• GPPaweyyekna

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM

hibbit
    Feb 7, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    I could see this happening, I don’t know what he brings to the changing room personally, but always under the impression he brings good spirit and I have always had the feeling that he would be brought in to a role of this kind.
    Does anyone actually know what injury he has?

• DubaiMicky

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM

@hibbit re Gamez, I said that when he initially came here, that rafa had longer term plans for him, probably as a defensive coach. I like being right sometimes LOL.

• hibbit

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Jules
    on this occasion mactoon has summed it up exactly what he says in his last post is just about spot on

* The future under Ashley is far from bright *

• hibbit

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:03 AM

GPP/Micky

Gamez has been working with the under 23s in the absence of Beardsley ??

• Jib

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:04 AM

I remember when Amanda was first spotted
    at our home game v Lpool
    a certain poster was adamant it was a stunt by
    Barnes/Bishop/Bailey on behalf of Ashley.
    When it transpired that she was a genuine bidder
    no apology was offered not even a
    “whoops silly me”

• RobLeenio

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:05 AM

I think Gamez has been working with coaching the kids this season, from snippets I’ve seen. Rafa has a history of developing young coaches who sometimes then go on to be managers in their own right (Fabio Pecchia at Verona, Mauricio Pellegrino at Saints, Ian Cathro briefly at Hearts, will get a leg up somewhere.) It can’t hurt Rafa to have a network of young, capable coaches around Europe he can talk to about players. One of the reasons he is so well respected as a coach within football, I imagine

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Panda @ 3

The last sentence absolutely nails it. Some people, can’t imagine who, think we should be doing so much better with what is essentially a champo squad. The reality is it’s amazing we’re not been bottom 3 all season.

Apart from a not fully fit Merino, a newly just arrived, loaned Kenedy and Slimani, Lascelles on a good day and the promise of Murphy, who have we got who is really PL standard?

On the one time Ash did splash the cash, McLoser had Winaldjum, Townsend, Sissoko, Janmatt etc and effectively doomed us, so to still be in with even just a remote chance of staying up is some going.

• AncientC

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Panda: You’re right. Anyways, here is what I was alluding to:

“I really wish shearer would keep his fob shut sometimes….he seems hellbent on Rafa walking in the summer….he may well do, but he keeps going on about it, he must have a bet on?”

^courtesy of ‘ashleysmate’

The nickname should have been a dead giveaway.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM

hibbit

they’ve picked up a bit since beardo left have they not? Such a shame Beardo seems such a gent but
    maybe a parting of the ways now would be beneficial for all sides. I see our most promisng youngster Juanito went out on loan and am not sure what is happening with M-Hanni

• lesh

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Jiblets

We’ll spotted. Bailey (our Cavalier King Charles) would hate to be confused with Bullchit Bishop let alone Barnes!

Your breaks clearly worked and your alertness is noticeable.

• manxpie

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Rotonda wat do you base premier league standard on as it seem quite confused tbh?
    Before the 3 new arrivals according to you we only had merino who was PL standard

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Ancient

I think the only trouble some people have with Shearer was that he gave the lie to the expression ”no one man is bigger than the club”. It appeared outwardly that AS was very indulged by Shepherd and was allowed to be just that, ie bigger than the club, even if it undermined a great manager like SBR. Hey who knows what really went on.

• jimmysmith

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Probably better to list the players the club probably won’t be particularly interested in listening to offers for. Woodman, Lascelles, Merino, Murphy, Hayden and Perez.

• GPPaweyyekna

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:20 AM

I think Beardsley was trying to find another job when he came out with that statement about Sam A. Jump before shoved. I agree he comes across as a nice fellow (although I’ve heard some tales) but the amount of talent coming through speaks volumes. Maybe there’s other reasons as to why its not happening and is a not a direct result of his coaching but he has to take some responsibility

• mactoon

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM

@Jules “It’s his presence whenever there is any talk of demonstrations or protests and his activist agenda. Which would impact the team on the field at SJP.”

Who’s presence and activist agenda, mine?

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Manx

Well basically the players I mentioned (Merino, Kenedy, Slimani, Lascelles, Murphy) have all demonstrated with differing levels of success and consistency admittedly, that they can in fact make the grade in the PL.

I don’t know enough about the new keeper and tbh I don’t really rate Yedlin, Clark, Lejeune, Ritchie, Diame, Perez, Gayle, Joselu, Dummet, Eliot, Atsu as being top drawer, but I do realise that is subjective. However, I feel that a lot of those players were brought in to do a job in the champo, whch in fairness they did to great effect.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Jib

Judged on outcomes, the appearance of Staveley has been no better than a PR stunt.

• manxpie

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:36 AM

It just seems ya basing it on a couple of performances
    Shelvey, ritchie dummett aren’t PL standard? Lascelles on a good day?
    Clark darlow elliot atsu all performed well in prem this season still not PL standard?

Sorry but its the same with throwing players into “championship at best” doesnt wash with me

• manxpie

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Infact the only non prem standard part of the team is the strike force which has been apparent all season

• Lindisfarne

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:41 AM

The quality of the squad is surely represented by our league position, individual ability is slightly more difficult to assess and does not account for future improvement. However Ashley is only concerned with salable assests.

• RobLeenio

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Manx, agreed – at one point does a decent Champo player become a lower-end PL player? At what age do these players become too old to improve their skills? It’s not as black and white as some make it out to be. Yes, we need upgrades in some areas, but I think Rafa has bought young and is looking to improve the squad by development as well as through purchases of better quality. I think the improvement in Lascelles, Darlow, Dummett, Murphy, Yedlin and Perez is testament to that. Just leaves Hayden, Atsu and Lejeune to show some improvement from our youngsters. Also, is Diame not Prem quality? I think his class has always been there, but hard to see due to a long run of dire form

• manxpie

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Yeah was gonna say diame but didnt as i would only jinx his good form lol