Jose Mourinho On Why Newcastle Have Been So Poor In Recent Seasons

In his press conference for the game tomorrow Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has said he likes visiting Newcastle, the home of Sir Bobby Robson, even though he is yet to win a league game at St. James’ park.

Let’s hope he doesn’t do that because Newcastle have to start picking up the 15 points that will ensure we are still a Premier League team next season.

It’s really been terrible these last fives seasons with every season but one we have been fighting relegation.

Two years ago we were relegated for the second time, and we did very well to come straight back.

Jose Mourinho – difficult to understand why Newcastle so poor

But it now seems we are back where we were two years ago.

The results through 26 games very similar to what they were with Newcastle on 25 points whereas two years ago we had 24 points.

SeasonPlayedWonLostDrawGFGAGDPoints
2015-20163161873158-2725
2017-20183191483140-935

Jose was asked why Newcastle have struggled so much in the last few seasons and here’s how he responded:

“They are a big club,”  “I believe, I believe. I am not the person to say why because what I know from the club is an incredible army of fans, a city that lives for the club and supports the club.”

“Normally, good players. Normally, good managers. I can remember many of them, some of the best ones in the country.”

“Benitez another example. So it’s difficult to understand.”

“But if you ask me if I think if Newcastle are going to be in the Championship next season. I say immediately no way.”

“I think they know how to get the points to stay in the Premier League.”

There’s a simple two-word answer to why Newcastle have struggled over the last decade.

Those two words are Mike Ashley and fans are hoping he will leave the club before the summer.

However, not many fans believe he will sell the club this year.

Will Mike Ashley Be Successful And Sell Newcastle This Year?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

And not too many fans think we can win this game tomorrow either.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

But it’s good that Jose thinks we will not be relegated this season – let’s hope he’s right on that.

And he usually is – isn’t he?

🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Where have all the bloggers gone
    long time no see

Where have all the bloggers gone
    This Saturday

Where have all the bloggers gone
    Probably shopping with their partners every one.

When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn

That supporting the Toon is a thankless thing

When will we ever learn

When will we ever learn.

Just thought I’d bring some joy to the blog on this cold wet day before our next must win game.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Thank you Jose. you could really help us out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

• Jib

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM

peter paul mary and Essex bill

• Mag52

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM

I can’t see Rafa starting with Slimani tomorrow.
    It’s important he’s fully recovered from his injury first.
    In that case my team for tomorrow will be :
    Dubravka,
    Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett.
    Diame, Merino.
    Ritchie, Perez, Kenedy.
    Joselu.
    HWTL -IRWT

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Aah yes, we were big back then, same as the Toon!!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Rafa was talking in the week about Kenedy being competition/backup for Dummet. This got me thinking that maybe he plans to play 5 at the back with Hayden the extra CB and starting Dummett at LB. Keeping Kenedy on the bench and using him as ‘attacking LB if we are chasng the game.
    Personally I don’t like this idea. Kenedy, so far, seems the player most likely to make something happen and as such I would like to see him play with the least amount of defensive responsibility in a Rafa team.

• Mindshaft

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Just back from sunny Dubai so have missed out on last couple of weeks postings – would be surprised if slimani starts – isn’t he carrying a knock … Anyway think best we can hope for tomorrow is a draw – hopefully Bournemouth can give us a much needed win and slimani can start

• dig-n-dig22

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Mag52 #
    I see that you have included Joselu in your starting line up against ManU. Joselu is a dodgy subject on this blog. People think we were seen off when we bought him. All I can say is, spare a thought for Arsen Wenger, What did he pay for Lacazette?