Alan Shearer Points Out What’s Needed For Newcastle To Survive

Alan Shearer got carried away after the fantastic 1-0 home win over Manchester United on Sunday – just like the rest of us.

But he has now written about Newcastle’s Achilles heel this season – our lack of goals.

We have brought in Islam Slimani and he could make the difference but we have nobody like Dwight Gayle this season – Dwight couldn’t stop scoring for us last season with 23 goals in the Championship.

But this season he’s finding it much more difficult to score goals in the Premier League.

Dwight has only 3 league goals in 25 appearances for the Magpies, but he’s still only one goal behind top scorers – Joselu and Perez.

Benitez has been trying to work more on scoring from set plays and we scored one like that on Sunday from a free kick from Shelvey.

But we didn’t get one corner in the whole game.

This is what Alan has said about Newcastle:

“It has been obvious all season that Newcastle need more firepower and, although it worked against Manchester United, scoring one goal will not get them a win every week.”

“The reason they managed to hold on this time was down to their spirit and resilience, which are both positives.”

“But they are going to need more goals to go with that too.”

“This was a brilliant win, but it remains incredibly tight at the bottom of the table and there is a lot more work to do.”

We should have Islam Slimani available for the next game at Bournemouth on February 24th, and we’ll have to see what kind of difference the big Algerian can make.

We hope Slimani can score some goals but he could also knock balls down for the likes of Gayle, Kenedy Ritchie, and Perez to convert.

Kenedy looks like he can score goals and we also have Jacob Murphy who has looked good when he’s played for us this year – he can also score some goals.

• Jib

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Decisions decisions

Euro footy tonight

Whether to watch Spurs getting a lesson
    off Juventus at the Allianz Stadium

or

Basel put up the shutters vs Man City
    in the St. Jakob-Park

• toon kk

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Rotonda.
    Bringing in a new quality keeper has given us something extra. Although I’m not sure why Darlow was picked over Elliott of late.
    I think if we couldn’t have loaned players and there was only a limited amount of money available imo priority would be to spend on a proven goal scorer.
    Luckily down to loans Rafa has really strengthened us, we just need to have Slimani to hit the ground running.
    Sturridge picked up a hamstring injury within 5 minutes last night. We may have dodged a bullet there.

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:37 PM

I think Darlow just edged Elliot because of late he’s looked a bit under the weather, in games he’s had the sweaty nervy look of someone who’s been booked in at the last minute for a rear end camera appointment. Darlow has disappointed really, I don’t think his confidence was helped by being dropped like a split poop bag last season as soon as Elliot could walk without falling over.

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Magscar I think I first saw Dummett run out for a first team blast at Harps testimonial but it could have been a cup game the memory isn’t what it errrr..isn’t what …errrrrr… Size 9 in brown I believe…anyway I thought he looked quick and quite a prospect.

He’s definitely persuaded me that he’s a premier league defender, better at his job than Santon but unfortunately that quick look up the line and the looping ball forward to nowhere never convinces. His crossing is lamentable sadly. But I don’t care if he doesn’t have to go there, if he keeps putting in shifts like the other day he’ll be great.

• G

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM

Didn’t Dummett prefer to be CB originally, or did I imagine that? I feel he’s a valuable member of the squad regardless. Never lets us down when called upon, always gives his best. Always feel the crowd have been harsh on him because he doesn’t get forward enough.

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM

That Bernard video is class – love the sequence at the end of him keeping Conceicao in his pocket vs Inter Milan. Always reminded me of a bulldog – all shoulders when he ran with the ball. Excellent player and a vital member of that squad too.

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Robleenio, I’ve always liked dummett to be honest and think he can be a good centre half too. In fact a sweeper system, although old fashioned, of Lejeune sweeping up behind ( or in front) of Lascelles and Dummett would be nice with proper wing backs like Kenedy. That said the further we can get kenedy up the pitch the better. I was a bit critical of Lejeune and will reserve judgement on his capacity to man mark etc, but he is so relaxed on the ball and it allows us to play longer balls too ( not the Fat sam way , although he calls it long passes ) when turning defence to attack. Hopefully if we stay up Rafa can get more raw pace in the team because I am convinced it is the main way he wants to play – ie compact but with the ability to turn defence into attack, and when losing the ball, retain shape via speedy players. Its one of the reasons I admire Leicester so much. Going back to Dummett, a defenders first job is to defend, no matter what Football Manager says.

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM

As the gaffer himself said back in November about Dummy:-

‘“He is someone who knows his job. He is not bad in the air, he is not bad with his left foot.

“People say: ‘He needs to go to the byline and make crosses’. It doesn’t matter: he can make passes, he can defend, he can help at set pieces.

“He is a player who will give you something different. Something we don’t have already.”

I defer to his better judgement 🙂

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM

G, I think Dummett would be great as a CB in a back three but at 5’10” I think he’s a little short as part of a starting CB pair. Just my opinion though, he’s a good enough defender and Kenedy can play wingback so we may see it happen

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Looking at the man u highlights ( again!) it should be said that Man U were just not trying hard enough. Too many guys not closing down etc, eg Martial on Dummett, when Dummett showed his pace . If Rafa can improve his play on the ball and going forward, we have a 20million defender on our hands, and ideally not for sale. However its a big coaching ask.

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Tsunki, did you get my offer of a virtual pint after we beat man u ?

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM

He did a CB stint and did very well so much so that a lot of us were hoping he’d do it again, he gets up alright for a shorty ha ha but we do have a decent choice for CB’s now.

And when you think the alternatives to Dummett are Mbemba, Gamez and Manquillo…….

• Munster Mag

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM

No comparison between Santon and Dummett. I though Santon was a terrible defender. In fact he didn’t do much up the pitch either. Good on the ball, good touch, got so far up the pitch and then rarely made a killer pass anyway. Awful spatial awareness, poor on crosses.

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Ah yes I did Munster thank you I also took the liberty of chasing it with a double of the 12 year old aberfeldy 🙂

Cheers.

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Munster, absolutely, I think I agree with everything you’ve said there, although I’m maybe a little more sure than you on Lejeune, I think he’ll come good now he has a decent game under his belt – that Kane assault knocked his confidence badly in his first ever Premier League match. It’ll be interesting to see how Slimani helps with that quick transition from defence to attack, not in the Leicester / Jamie Vardy way as he doesn’t have that kind of pace, but in how he holds up play and links with the players around him that do have pace ie Kenedy, Murphy, Atsu, Gayle (if they play together), Yedlin for eg

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Tsunki

I don’t recall when I frst saw him but as an academy player also touted for CB I was reasonably happy with him as “one for the future”. Usually fit apart from recent injury but has perhaps plateau-ed (?) but remains dependable LB if not a modern wing backtype which are more in vogue these days.

Unfortunately in these mega fee and wages times “dependable” is almost a criticism. Key as with other dependables is to match any seeming deficiency with some compensation from elsewhere in side. Most sides have to do it and Rafa does it well with him. Dummet is a likeable chap, knows his strengths and weaknesses ( as does Rafa) and plays to instruction always giving 100% for his club. Alright I do inwardly groan at his passing up the line sometimes but he has stabilised us and no moans from me when his name pops up on big screen before match. Next season – well who knows about any of them!

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Oh and my grandson likes him 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM

No moans from me either in fact it’s Yedlin who needs to up his positioning now. Take note.

• Tsunki

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Here’s another thing about Dummett. So called big sides mean zero to him 🙂 I think his best games have been where he shared shorts with some of the costliest players in the Prem ha ha.

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Robleenio

Yeah Dummett is perhaps small for CB but he is good in air especially as LB.

Munster

Always thought there was a good footballer somewhere in Santon but it just never materialised. Too much a loose cannon even back in those less “compact and keep you shape days”.

Good run usually squandered, he and others consequently caught out of position and swift counterattack to catch us. Frustrating days. Couldn’t believe Mourino never bought him somehwere along the line 🙂

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:17 PM

I hadn’t realised that the last match that Dubravka played was before the Czech League Winter break – so 10 weeks before the Man U match. Even more unbelievable for him to have come in and done so well considering the lack of playing time.

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM

Tsunki

I believe he still knocks around with his boyhood mates who are also supporters, keeps his feet on the ground and he plays like it IS “his” club – no nonsense of kissing the badge for him just put winger into touch ( and ball of course!). Course he can be upgraded but not as yet ( although Gamez has been OK when put at LB).

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM

I yearn for the days when we had Nzogbia and Ryan Taylor and even Sissoko at LB 🙂

• hibbit

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM

magscar LOL

• dig-n-dig22

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Magscar # 39
    Reading your post got me reminiscing again, when I was a young kid in the 60s, for some reason my hero used to be Trevor Hockey a clean cut up an down winger with bags of pace that could deliver a decent cross into the box. I remember him coming back to SJP in the 70s looking like a wild animal and playing like one too with plenty of attitude, It was a total transformation, he looked a half decent midfielder . It’s a pity the transformation couldn’t have come under Joe. I would have loved him even more. sorry to hear he passed away .R I P Trev

• Jib

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Trevor Hockey left the toon as a teddy boy
    then came back with Sheff Wed as a hippy !

Died in the late 80’s at 43 of a heart attack

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Did and Jib

Never saw him in B & W but recall the hairy version well! I know many men die young and before their time ( including my dad) but am always surprised at footballers passing early (as opposed to say actors) given their generally better health routines. However disease is no respecter of anyone unfortunately and Liam Miller just the most recent – RIP