Martin Dubravka On His Newcastle Debut And What Is Now Needed

Benitez was criticized at Liverpool when he didn’t let the players know the team until on the day of the match.

He does the same thing at Newcastle, and he didn’t let Dubravka know he would be playing until just two hours before the game started on Saturday.

But it all turned out well, and Rafa probably didn’t want the Slovakian International to think too much about the game had he know he was playing earlier.

It all turned out well, and Martin Dubravka is already well known in the Premier League after that terrific performance on his debut.

Rafa Benitez congratulates Martin Dubravka after the game

Martin is a team player and seems like a smashing guy too.

Here’s what Dubravka has said as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“Two hours before the game. I still didn’t know that I would be playing.”

“It was an amazing feeling because we won against a very strong team and I’m very happy that we won as a team.”

“It was very important for me because when you are in a new club, you are trying to do your best, show people that you deserve to be here.”

“Important for me was the first touch with the ball, you’re trying to help the players and I was happy at that moment I could pass a good ball and stay calm and just enjoy the game.”

“We knew at the beginning that we were not in a good position (3rd bottom) so we tried to do our best and go higher.”

“I just tried to enjoy the game like every other one before, the other players helped me, especially in the second half.”

“I’m also very happy for them, we have the three points.”

“We needed to stay calm and keep the ball away from the box, help each other, not just kick the ball away, keep it a little bit more.

“I think we did well, especially that last 10 minutes – under pressure but we were still trying to play football, not just kick the balls away.”

“We have a better feeling than before the game, higher in the league and hopefully we can have more performances like this and take more points from the away games.”

Martin is right there – we have to take points from every game.

And if Martin can perform like that for us in the final 11 games of the season we should do well.

But it’s wins (and more wins) that we need.

And if we can survive this season it should be an exciting summer for fans, especially if Newcastle can get new owners in before June.

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Jail

There is no doubt that a decent striker would have got us more points in games we struggled to score in but just don’t think Abrahams is the man. Don’t really care what Southgate thinks – he was at Huddersfield game on Sunday rather than at ours – wow.

• DubaiMicky

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM

Last post on the Baggies. The only team ever to be bottom of the PL table on the last day of the season, they won, all the other games went there way and they stayed up, 2004/05 season. I was watching at Goodfellas in Bur Dubai (I’ve been here a while) Palace and Southampton went down along with Norwich.

That was a bit of a night I can tell you.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Brilliant debut from Dubravka. The lad was awesome. When he came for that cross in the 1st half and plucked it out the air. Smashing. He’s very vocal aswell and commands his area. Barking orders at the defence to keep their shape and pushing them out on set pieces.

Keep it up son!

• posada

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM

It says on tit internet that Dubza our new Goalie is 6 foot 1 1/2 inches.

Gave the impression he was about 6 foot 5.

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Shirebrook

I am looking forward to us being tighter at back if Dubravka can maintain that exceptional level but also for us to start attacks quicker and without turning over possession easily as we often have – one of my bug bears this and last season.

It has been clear that whilst Rafa realises that Darlow and Elliot are usually good shot stoppers neither command their area enough or come off line quick enough at times as he would prefer. Simani and Kenedywill also hopefully help with capitilising on his early and accurate distribution

• magscar

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Micky

The final matchday that has stayed with me was the one in which we qualified for Champions league and Mackems and Boro ( more unexpectedly as I recall) went down – another one of those days where results had to fall a certain way and they did. 🙂

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:53 AM

magscar – I’m not even sure that Rafa rates Darlow and Elliott as shot stoppers. Darlow seems to have weak wrists – recent evidence being the own goal vs Burnley and the penalty vs Palace. He got a good hand to each but was unable to deflect the ball sufficiently. Harsh, maybe, but games are won and lost on fine margins in the Prem, and I think Dubravka is a better shot stopper than either Darlow and Elliott.