This New Loan Signing Made Of The Right Stuff For Newcastle

f timeMartin Dubravka has found a new house on Tyneside and that should help him and his family settle down quickly in Newcastle – it’s always difficult living in a hotel for any length of time.

Martin was simply outstanding for us against Manchester United and we hope he can keep up that good form for the rest of the season.

If he can then Newcastle could even do quite well in the league before the end of the season.

And Rafa will almost certainly take up the €4M (£3.6M) option to buy Martin this summer.

Martin Dubravka – great start to Newcastle career

That would be in addition to the €2M (£1.8M) loan fee we paid Sparta Prague for him.

But that €2M could save us this season and give us another £110M at least next season, so it could become a terrific deal for Newcastle.

This is what Martin has said in the Chronicle today as he attempts to settle in quickly:

“We have found a nice place to live here.” “I am happy about that now.”

“It has been tiring living in a hotel. I am happy to feel at home.”

“This is a new adventure for me.” “The people have been very friendly to me from the beginning and that’s important.”

“You need some time to spend with your team-mates and get to know them.”

“Now we have a little bit more time to prepare for the next game at AFC Bournemouth.”

“It’s going to be a nice two weeks now because we have won.” “But we also need to make sure we work hard in training.”

“We can be satisfied now but it’s about making sure we keep going in the right direction.”

“We can focus on the next few games.”

“In the Premier League it’s a difficult game, especially when it comes to duels, but if you want to be successful you’ll have to be able to play the ball with your feet as a goalkeeper.”

“The crowd helped me a lot – right from the beginning.” “You can feel their energy all the time.”

“That will help me I am sure. I am happy that we got a win and we can move forward.”

Dubravka made several good saves in the game and looked like an accomplished goalkeeper who could become a big hit in the Premier League and on Tyneside.

As Rafa had already said-  he is very good with his feet and the manager has wanted a new experienced goalkeeper in since last summer.

At the end of the game, Dubravka had already made himself a favorite with the Newcastle fans.

Especially after that last gasp brilliant reaction save from Geordie Michael Carrick, following a corner – with seocnds to go.

Martin certainly is more than keen to stay at Newcastle and after such a display on his debut in what was a white hot atmosphere this man has the right stuff to become a (big) star on Tyneside.

Now he needs to play at the same level at Bournemouth in our next game.

One last thought – maybe we can try to get Carrick in the summer for a couple of seasons, and he can add much-needed Premier League experience to the Newcastle midfield?

What do you think?

• G

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:50 AM

I would pass on Carrick now. Not very mobile these days. Skilled, but fairly static.

• Geordie-john

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM

This lad showed everyone how it should be done. He was outstanding throughout the game AND to top it all off this lad WANTS to play for us. Get him signed up now Rafa !

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:57 AM

G,
    I think his leadership last year in the Championship and this seasn would have been invaluable. What a shame Mourinho valued him so much to offer him a new deal.

• tommotoon

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM

I can’t help but wonder if we would still have won 1-0 if Darlow or Elliot had been in goal.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM

tommotoon,
    I can’t but help wondering where we’d be if we had an owner with an ounce of ambition instead of a guy only prepared to do the bare minimum to keep us ticking over.

• barkel

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM

I can’t help wondering if Villa hadn’t scored against Brighton and we finished runner up in the championship how our recruitment would have gone for this season. I’ve a feeling that because we won the championship it was taken that our squad was better than at least two other teams and worth the gamble

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM

I can’t help but wonder that if we’d bought Townsend in January last year we’d have won the Championship with record points and I’d have been eleven hundred quid richer.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM

barkel,
    Unfortunately it is entirely impossible to apply any kind of logic to Ashleys way of thinking. No matter what happened I think he fully planned to sit and tell Rafa what he wanted to hear then call his bluff on his relationship with the fans to allow minimal outlay with a chance of staying up. Being truthful with Rafa would have meant bringing a new guy in and having to hand over a war chest.

• barkel

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM

I cant help but wonder what JFA would do with an extra £1100 & how much better of the ladies in for your eyes only would be

• G

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:50 AM

barkel @ 9. I have no idea, but I am in… for research purposes only you understand. I presume you are fronting the cash?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM

barkel,
    ???

• G

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM

JFA, I am presuming he means the ‘gentleman’s club’ ‘For your Eyes Only’, rather than the Rodger Moore Bond Movie.

• Jib

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM

What a naughty boy
    JFA

• barkel

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Indeed the gentlemans club that I inadvertently frequented the last time I was in Toon, it was not a James Bond themed venue as I thought .. the men at the door were in tuxedos so I assume that is a common mistake

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM

barkel,
    I’d promised the Mrs a Burberry jacket so it wouldn’t have made much odds to me in the long run I suppose.

• Ron Knee

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Newcastle United FC

We’re delighted to announce that defender @PaulDummett has signed a new long-term contract with Newcastle United!

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Ron knee

When was that announced??

• Ron Knee

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Shire

Just now!

• Ron Knee

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:39 PM

• Oldgit1

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Brilliant news re Dummett, a player who I have always rated, a great defender. Well worth the new contract. A really big poke in the eye to the few on this site who always used him as a scrape goat.
    People have to remember he is a defender first.

• RobLeenio

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Delighted for Dummett, honestly always thought he was a good player developing his gameand hoped he would be given time and space to do so. Hated the bile that used to be directed at him, totally unjustified. Hope he can continue to improve and become a NUFC legend

• RobLeenio

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:05 PM

See Lawro’s being a tool in another interview today, slagging Rafa saying he wouldn’t be happy if he had a forward line of Suarez, Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo and Bale. Not sure I can post the link – will try to in a separate post but it’s in Footballtips.com. I used to like the guy when he coached us, but he’s become more and more vitriolic towards us as time has gone on.

• G

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM

barkel for the record, their Vodka Martini, Shaken, not Stirred was overpriced and very disappointing too.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Well pleased for Dummett. Deserves a lot more praise than he actually gets. Team is better with him in it too!

• Rob1971

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Where have all the Rafa out brigade gone, ie the overrated frenchman, catchy etc all gone that have been slagging Rafa off? they have been missing since we beat Man Utd

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Chuffed that we have signed Dummett up ! The defensive side of his game is top notch at the moment he seems fitter than I can remember seeing him!

This is what our youth system should be producing solid , dependable local players who can hold their own in the premiership ! Not easy to do but a few of them every season or two coupled with a few players from other nations that buy into the club is exactly what we need !

• hibbit

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Rob1971

more than just those two have vanish, the blog in general seems to have had a large drop of regular posters over the last few days ????

• Rob1971

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:29 PM

I know we have no game this weekend but I can gaurantee if we got beat and were in the bottom 3 they would have been on here slagging him off about his line up, tactics etc.

• Spoof

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Great news with Dummett, rarely nowadays do you get a fb who can defend, for some odd reason they are expected to be wingers, always amazed me how highly rated Santon was among some of us, he was dreadful, always out of position and when going forward he would always cut inside get dispossessed and then walk back leaving us exposed at the back, dreadful dreadful dreadful he was as was Janmaat, but Dummett rarely gets beaten, not even by the best but i will accept that he could do more going forward, hsving said that if he could attack as well then he would be at a far better club than us as he would be a £50m+ defender, mind his gosls and assist record is still better than Santon’s.

A Great defender, really pleased he is with us for a long stint.

• manxpie

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Great news re dummett well deserved
    I worry for wwsbrd now tho, hes still waiting on lazaar to oust him

• TyneMouth

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:09 PM

New contract for Paul Dummett, about time! He played almost every game last season, and sadly his injury early this season coincided with the team’s bad run of results. It would be interesting to compare the games with and without Dummett.

As the saying goes; ‘you don’t know what you’ve got, till it goes’…

• toonincheek

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Very happy for Paul and NUFC.

If we ever get to be ‘top six’, then Paul
    would probably be backup.

I think Paul would take that.

• TyneMouth