Rafa Could Try Again To Sign This Experienced Premier League Player This Summer

Rafa has pointed out many times this season that his team are short of Premier League experience.

Things will be better next season since the players will all have experienced what it’s like playing in the Premier League.

But Rafa will still want to bring in some players with Premier League experience – always assuming we can reach safety this season in the league.

One player Rafa tried to sign last summer was Wallsend-born midfielder Michael Carrick of Manchester United, but he was given a one-year extension to his contract by Jose Mourinho.

Michael Carrick – local lad

A good question is whether Rafa will try to sign Carrick this summer for a couple of years to add that much-needed PL experience to the team.

Jose Mourinho has said Michael can continue at the Red Devils next season if he wants to, but at the moment the Wallsend-born player is saying he will probably retire from the game this summer.

But Rafa has those persuasive powers that could convince the 36-year-old to play for Newcastle for a couple of seasons.

That could be an excellent way to end his outstanding career in football – playing for his hometown club under a world-class manager.

Michael could definitely do a job for Newcastle.

What do you think?

• Lindisfarne

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:19 AM

If Rafa offered him a lift to training, it might swing it!

• Lindisfarne

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:21 AM

Seriously however, I prefer the young side that we have at the moment who are gaining experience and growing into their roles as PL players.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:22 AM

It would be nice to buy in an outstanding star player but we might lose the mutual respect and team spirit that exists between the lads at the moment.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM

I cannot remember who it was
    there was a regular poster who
    knew Carrick’s dad in Wallsend
    and was adamant that Carrick
    would never join NUFC.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:34 AM

I’d rather scour Europe and find rafa a young kante that he can develop. Add to that a proper fast powerful striker and some pace on the wing and we can progress. I think rafa might skip left back now but look towards a smarter right back and a fast winger or right midfielder. Lejeune ( although I have said before that his defence concerns me so I better strick with that for now!) could become a vital player for us as a sweeper type centre back. His passing and calmness and ball skills are impressive.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM

In fact I would be happy to see rafa deploy him as a sweeper behind lascelles and dummett (or another centre back) to allow him to play 3 at the back, assuming he can also step out to play in front of the defence when times allow. To me defenders are always supposed to be defensive minded above all else, including defenders who are wing backs, but he is an interesting player.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:40 AM

Yes I remember that jib. Mind u that was when he was younger and man u had fergie and were winning leagues.

• G

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:44 AM

I would pass on Carrick now. 12 months ago maybe, but now I would only take him as a coach.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Carrick would be a very welcome addition for one season and an option for another. A footballer of the highest calibre, and a fine pro. Doesn’t need to be first choice, just part of the group to be used as needed. Gets through his work in a very economical and intelligent way. Very little if any wasted energy. Along with Shelvey, Hayden, Merino and Diame on current form would give us a nice stable of central mids for a second season after promotion from the Championship. We might be able to do better, but I’d be more than happy were he to be persuaded to join us.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:58 AM

People often mention Steve McClaren
    and occasionally Ian Cathro

The one that never gets mentioned
    from that episode in Toon history
    is Steve Black.

He reckoned that the coaching team
    at NUFC when he was there just didn’t
    “get” him.

Other figures in the sporting world
    certainly rate him

Rob Andrew calls him a ‘one-off’.
    Jonny Wilkinson lays much of the credit
    for his unparalleled success at Steve’s door.
    Graham Henry, the All Blacks coach, calls him
    “the best motivator I’ve ever encountered”.
    Glen McCrory, former World Cruiserwieght Boxing Champion,
    says simply that Steve’s “the most inspirational man I’ve ever met”.
    Kevin Keegan describes him as “the best one-to-one coach in the world.”

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Carrick just about ready for his zimmer frame, oh well, he can always play for Newcastle. Oh please.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Best headline about West Brom’s bad boys ?
    The Express
    “Go to Barcelona and get messy”

ha ha ha

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:21 AM

I see your hero was a paid commy informer
    back in the day

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Jib, “paid” commie informer? Are you sure? Not even ‘The Sun’ went that far.

Just for clarification, here you go: https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-corbyn-never-knowingly-met-communist-spy-says-czech-agency/

politico.eu A little more respectable than The Sun.

I guess some people are more gullible than others, heh.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:50 AM

I think if we have money,carrick wont be anywhere near the list of players we want in that position,…if we sign him, theres every chance that there’s no money available,so if he signs I’d be very worried…good player in the past but gettin on now, in football terms,and didnt he have a health scare recently?

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:55 AM

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:03 AM

The ‘DailyMail’ lol. MI5 have already vetted Corbyn, he has even been cleared for Privy Council Status, unless, Jib, you think MI5 and The Privy Council are communist conspirators too? You just never know these days.

• Lindisfarne

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:08 AM

“What do I think Mr Robson would say to me now?” said Mourinho. “After some defeats, he told me a few times, don’t be so sad. If you think about the happiness of the other guys, it is a beautiful thing. So, it has to be that way. I know Newcastle players and fans and [Rafael] Benitez, everyone connected with the club, is very, very happy with the three points. The gods of football were with them, so at least I have that little smile.

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:08 AM

FAO Jib. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

I am going to leave it there, for the sake of the blog (not that the blog is active with football discussion this morning).

• JohnJ

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:11 AM

I thought this blog was supposed to be Non Political & for Newcastle United fans to post their views on the team and matters pertaining to our team.

I have no wish to be bombarded with political cr*p on here.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:12 AM

If that’s a true story then it truly warms the heart.

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM

JohnJ, since when you have contributed anything football based to the blog? I cannot remember. When you become a valued member of the blog, get back to me. Until then, stay out of conversations that you were not referenced in. Thanks. All the best.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:16 AM

You choose no avatar
    as do I
    Jail chooses a humourous cartoon as his.

Ancient however chooses a pic of a

go figure

• Jib

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM

MI5 is under Home Ofice

MI6 under Foreign Sec would deal
    with accusations from a Czech spy

• RobLeenio

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Would mourinho not be mental to let carrick walk out of that club? Surely he has to be given a coaching role. I’d love to see him here for that reason but I think Gamez has been lined up in that role

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Jib, I recall you criticising me for talking politics on the blog, and here you are, raising the subject, and unwilling to let it go. More power to you, but aren’t you breaking your own level of standards?

Anyways, back to Tony Kroos playing number 10 (lol).

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Here we go “YAWN”

• MonkseatonMag

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM

From previous thread….

leading scorer Mr Bobby Shinton on seven!

Ah yes! the bad old days…..

• MikeAshleysWallet

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM

Ancient this is a blog, you know, for people to chat with other people on. Telling people to “stay out of conversations” smacks of a superiority complex you have neither earned nor deserve.

• AncientC

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM

MikeAshleysWallet, fine piece of virtue signalling there. Good on you. ‘You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.’

• MikeAshleysWallet

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM

I’ll treat your reply with the disdain it deserves, there’s no need for me to give you a reason to be condescending towards me.
    Back on topic isn’t Carrick retiring at the end of this season anyway?

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM

Hasn’t Carrick stated that he would never play for the toon whilst Mike Ashley was in charge of our club.

Or something along those lines anyway.

He’s past it now so I would pass on giving him one last pay day. Coaching role would be more suited imo

Loving the blog banter this morning.

• geordiesteve520

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM

I grew up with MC and family and I don’t think he’d ever come back. He was really badly treated by the club back in the day and he’s really settled in the NW.

• sing in the corner

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Agree with Lindisfarne and others this morning, don’t think Carrick is what we need. Yes we need more experience but this lad’s legs are going, if not gone. Wouldn’t want us to be his last sentimental hurrah and comfy pay check. He never gave the toon a second thought when he was away picking up a stack of medals and cups.
    Don’t blame much him for that. This club should have made sure we didn’t almost always miss out on the best years of so much north east talent!

• beddersmag

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM

jib mate if corporate owned ‘free’ press had owt tangible on Corbyn we would all know about it. The guys obviously whiter than white so they have to talk about him not singing or nearly being vegan instead ?

• beddersmag

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM

sorry was supposed to be a smiley face. not sure where the question mark came from

• Pitmatic

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM

I think Carrick’s issue was with Ashley’s ownership rather than any hostility to the club in general. So it could be a possibility if the sale goes through.

I’d rather see us go for Fellaini though, who is also out of contract this summer. He’s been linked with Bestikas, but surely he’s too good to play there. Could be a beast for us in the no.10 role.