Here’s One Player Responsible For Newcastle’s Recent Revival

Mo Diame has been consistent – consistently good – in the last few months playing in defensive midfield.

And Jonjo Shelvey and Mo dominated the midfield last time out in the fabulous 1-0 home win against Manchester United – our first home win since way back last October.

Diame struggled when he first came to Newcastle 18 months ago, and he didn’t have a particularly effective season down below last term.

But he has always been honest and admitted he was not playing well and that he had to wake up.

Well, it seems he has now done that and has been a revelation for Newcastle in the last few months with his expert play in the middle of the park.

Mo Diame – has been a revelation for us these last few months

Mo also has Premier League experience, so that’s also helping the Newcastle side.

The 30-year-old former West Ham player also retired from international football (Senegal) last year to concentrate on his club career at Newcastle, and that could also be starting to pay off.

He has been asked about his improved form, and this is what he has said as reported in the Shields Gazette today:

“As I’ve said before, it wasn’t easy for me, but I kept working, and I feel better every game.”

“Hopefully, I can be a regular for the rest of the season and give a good performance.”

“You need to work hard in training and make it a difficult choice for the manager as to who makes his starting eleven.”

“We need to keep working to stay focused because it’s going to be a big fight until the end.”

“With this result, we go there confident. “Every game we play, we’re going there to win.”

“It doesn’t matter who we play against, we need to keep our shape and the way we are working hard in training and in the game.”

The last time we played at the Vitality Stadium (Dean Court) was in 2015 when we luckily won the game 1-0, thanks to five world-class saves from goalkeeper Rob Elliot.

That was probably Rob’s best ever performance for Newcastle, and he really was the player who beat the Cherries that day.

We are now just as desperate for all 3 points, as we are only 2 points above the drop zone and only 3 points behind Bournemouth, who are in 10th place.

A win would see us go above Bournemouth on goal difference and that’s what we are hoping for.

And the Cherries beat us at home 1-0 with that late stoppage-time winner last year and that was the first time Rafa has played against Eddie Howe – one of the best young coaches in the game.

Rafa will want to even the score on Saturday, and if we can do that we’ll have 12 points from our last 7 league games.

Hopefully, Mo Diame can have another excellent game in midfield for us – and that will definitely help.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM

I’ve probably slated him a lot, but he was always played out of position.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Diame and shelvey have played well together so they should be starting…(never thought I’d be saying that after earlier season performance’s from diame)..but credit where its due he’s been great the last few games….would like to see merino in the side,maybe as number 10

• Spoof

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:41 AM

The previous thread was about Lascelles, I wonder what transfer fee he would command, I don’t want to sell him, but i was just wandering.

On this thread, I’ve said for years that the anchor role in midfield is the most important part of the pitch, modern day football seems to demand a pairing and if your pairing are capable then you have a chance, if they aren’t capable then you have no chance, remember Anita and Colback under McClaren, we had no chance, but this pairing of Diame and Shelvey are the best we’ve had since Tiote and Cabaye, not sure were this leaves Merino mind, he could struggle.

• martoon

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM

I’m convinced we have swapped Diame for his twin brother – he is a completely different player from the one I saw last season in the Championship :mrgreen: Springy – I agree I’d like to see Merino given a chance in the No10 role as I think he plays there for Spain.

• magpie6699

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Spoof. Saw a hilarious article somewhere suggesting Spurs should go for Lascelles and his current transfer value according to some stupid list would be £6.3 million!
    Where do people / journalists get their ideas from?

• Spoof

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:55 AM

£6.3m, is for all of him or just the little toe of his left foot lol.

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Re Merino, I think he was brought in as a development player and as cover for the senior members of the team, then was thrown in when Shelvey was sent off and people assumed he was therefore a guaranteed starter. Now Shelvey and Mo are forming such an effective partnership, Rafa can revert to his original plans for Merino and he will therefore see less pitch time. I think Shelvey and Mo are the 1st choice, Merino and Hayden the 2nd choice but equivalent pairing and the pairing for the future.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Lascelles is as good as Van Dijck and he’s English too which usually inflates the price

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:35 AM

Lascelles is valued by Transfermarkt
    @£7 m
    They value Boro’s Ben Gibson
    @£8 m

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:38 AM

hibbit, ugh, thank God that deal isn’t going to happen. Imagine actually being a walking billboard for that man’s tat emporia while trying to support your country. Doesn’t bear thinking about. I think I was a little bit sick in my mouth at the prospect.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM

£30m easy.

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Dr Harrison
    is totally right I’m what he said earlier.

I’ve watched a few channels commenting
    on ManYoos defeat at SJP.

All the talk is about their perceived problems
    and not a word of praise for the lads.

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:41 AM

I’m = in

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Lascelles has to go to the world cup. He seems to improve other players and for that reason alone he’s worth having.

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Your hatred of Ashley has prevented you
    from thinking straight.

If he was sponsoring London United
    it would inevitably loosen his reliance
    on SJP advertising and help loosen
    the bonds with him.

• dig-n-dig22

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Spoof #3
    Man City had a £35Mill bid knocked back for Jonny Evans and Liverpool paid around £80mill fo Virgil Van dijk
    . Is Van dijk that much better than Lascelles

• Geordie-john

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Mo Diame, In the past I have been critical about him. Now I must eat my words. Wow has he got an identical twin that has played in the last 2 games ?
    No only joking, He has been outstanding and fits well into the roll he is playing at the moment. This is the way he should play being quite a big lad . Not sure why he has changed so much but bloody hell Mo, Keep it going lad !

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Jib, you may be right and yes, anything that sees him exit SJP more smoothly is probably a good thing. However, I just would not feel comfortable with one of the conditions of his exit being closer ties with another ailing football establishment which means a lot to me.

That said, if he was to turn his attentions to a certain club just down the road….

BTW, hatred is probably too strong a word – anger, disappointment and embarrassment probably sum up my feelings towards Ashley better. After all, I don’t know the guy so can’t hate him personally.

• lesh

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM

If it’s right that the FA wouldn’t want to be associated with Ashley, such a controversial character, then one would think it could lean on the EPL to change its fit and proper person test for owners to embrace such unethical persons.

However, I’d imagine the greedy git’d mount serious legal challenges to such a change.

He just doesn’t or won’t accept the fact that he’s a nasty piece of work.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:07 AM

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM

You obviously read the Express. Almost all the Corbyn slurs are made up and only certain people believe them.

• Munster Mag

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM

Jib, all credit to rafa and the players for a fully deserced 3 points but that was a Man U side that was not interested. To see guys like martial give up on chases and guys not competing for headers – that wasn’t just us, it was their laziness. But we’ll take it. A better barometer will be the next game against a motivated home team. Sorry to be a spoilsport , although I enjoyed that win ( watching on TV ) hugely and even became friendlier with guys I was arguing with her as a result!

• Ron Knee

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Google, or Jible if you prefer, “Daily Mail: Zinoviev Letter”. You’ll find that things haven’t changed very much since the 1920s.

• Munster Mag

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Geordie John, I was thrilled when we got him – I reckoned that along with Gayle he wud be our key signing when we got them, for the Championship , and then he disappeared. I’m not certain he wont disappear again though but right now – top man. Merino needs to get fit again and push for the 10 slot as he is smart enough to play there.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:38 AM

If he gets injured we could be in trouble. I think players like Yedlin fall to pieces without him

• AncientC

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:51 AM

bettyswallocks “In the light of the overwhelming evidence against Jeremy Corbyn and his treasonable activities over many years, I really think the blog should make a stance against this traitor and refrain from trying to justify his dispicable behaviour.

For the likes of Ancient C using his mugshot as an avatar , it is disgusting to say the least including this phoney in anything NUFC related.”

Which “overwhelming” evidence would that be? And why should the blog take up any stance against “any” politician. This is a NUFC blog. You don’t see me slandering politicians on the blog. Perhaps you should ask why Ben Bradley (Vice Chair of the Conservative Party) deleted a Tweet that accused Corbyn of selling secrets to communists.

Betty, it is probably best to stay away from subjects you clearly know little about. Stick to bullying (or attempting to) Jesper. That is about your level.

• Tsunki

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:59 AM

Well that’s disappointing.

Here was I enjoying a well – executed pressing victory with solid tactics and application and all along I didn’t realise that Manchester United came to our ground to throw their title hopes and their assurance of champions league football properly into the toilet by handing the game to a relegation threatened side a fraction of their squad worth.

Well I’ve learned my lesson. 😐

• AncientC

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Whilst I remember. Perhaps bullying Jesper isn’t your only level of depravity, betty. As I recall you were creeping around after BandB, privately Emailing her and trying to schmooze her—then when BandB politely asked you to leave her alone, you started attacking her on the blog. Creepy to say the least, betty.

• AncientC

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM

A snippet from bettyswallocks, referring to BandB.

“She did send me some more intimate photos in which she was very scantily clad. These would be totally inappropriate to publish on a football blog. However if she doesn’t reel in her objectionable behaviour in the New Year and become more amenable then I may be left with no choice but to show the lads.”

What a gentleman you are, betty. Is that how you take rejection when off the internet too?

• lesh

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Does it not occur to you to beg the question – if Ashley’s prepared to pay £6m for England sponsorship, then why isn’t he prepared to pay the club he owns for SD related advertising?

Of course we shouldn’t expect a sensible answer from you as you’ll doubtless wish to feed your ego and narcissism by posting a controversial response.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM

When I said only certain people believe that rubbish you kind of just identified the moron type I meant.

• AncientC

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM

betty, my last point, before I have to depart. A little bit of a character test. You had a bet, with EGB? I believe. You offered to bet £100 if my memory serves me right, that Newcastle would sign at least two players in the winter transfer window last year, with the winner of the bet giving £100 to a Bobby Robson charity—something along those lines. I noted that you went missing from the blog after the transfer window closed. Perhaps I missed you posting proof of your donation to a charity?

• lesh

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I really thought you were a one who was able to look at news with a wider perspective. Does it not occur to you that by subscribing to and echoing the views of the Daily Heil, The Torygraph and other right leaning elements of the media, you are taking their bait and implicitly doing the work of the political right?

In fairness to you Bettys, you’ve taken the bait posted by Jiblets though you’re not alone in being distracted from the realities of life now and to be under the nasty party.

That’s my input on this matter for the day

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Whoa a lot of flak sent Betty’s way for having
    the nerve to criticise Jezza
    There’s a bit more to
    Ancient’s motives than meets the eye methinks

• bettyswallocks

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Ancient C………… I refute your accusations of bullying Jesper , I do tease him but he gives as good as he gets and is starting to join in the banter and develop his sense of humour. BandB dished out a lot more provocative comments than she received and was more than capable of defending herself.

To try and force your political views on football fans who are not really interested particularly defending a creep like Corbyn is not acceptable . I suggest you go and live in North Korea and take Jeremy with you.

• Tsunki

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:26 PM

As long as we don’t get into politics everything will be… Oh.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM

The Next Mike Williamson……….. I assume I am the moron type you are referring to?

• Tsunki

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Ok children what can we learn from the blog today regarding Dr Edwards rules? Do I see a little hand waving at the back there?

• Tsunki

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM

You…yes you….little Danish boy waving a….whisk is it?…