How Rafa And Newcastle Can Shock Us All This Season

We played our best game in a number of years last time out, and if Newcastle can be consistent and play like that in most of our final 11 games of the season, we could finish higher up in the league table than any of us expected.

That’s especially true after we went 9 games with only one point and were then 3rd bottom of the league table – that was after our 3-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge on December 2nd last year.

Its been a  case of three spells of 9 games each for Newcastle with differing levels of success.

In the first 9 games, we got a good 14 points and were 6th in the league table.

But in the next 9 games, we got just one point and in the last 9 games and were 3rd bottom.

Rafa Benitez – can shock us all this season

And during the last 9 games played we have a decent 13 points.

It seems the goals conceded leads to how successful we are – in the first 9 games we conceded 8 goals in the next 9 game it was 19 goals in the last 9 games we have conceded 9 goals.

So in our final 11 games (33 points to play for), we have to concede as few goals as possible and there’s a decent chance we can finish in a good position in the league.

If we can finish in the top ten that will only be the third time in 11 years under Mike Ashley that Newcastle have done that.

That would be amazing, but with the way lads have been playing lately and with no injuries, it’s possible if not probable.

Here are the 11 seasons under Mike Ashley – they are terrible.

Premier SeasonPositionNumber of Points
2017-20181044
2018-2019149 - after 12 games

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM

I’d love to see Nobby involved with the kids. Except for the obvious Macc Lads reference, obviously

Oo, Uncle Nobby…

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Now we’re talking top 10? We’ve only won 1 at home in 3 months. A dose of realism please Ed. Staying up and then selling in the summer would suit me fine.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Can the Slim One catch up with wor hot goal scorers now that they have such a huge lead toward the Bronze Boot? It’s a monumental task but Slimani is up to it. This prediction comes from me, the man who predicted Doumbia was going to be brilliant for us!!!!

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM

Dooooooommmmmmbia!!!!!

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM

That’s my pistol pen! Get your own pistol pen monsieur!!!

• davetoon

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:16 PM

I’d take a guaranteed 17th spot now bever mind top ten!

On another note didn’t realise that Palace have not won a match without Zaha since September 2016.

Lets hope he’s out for longer than expected

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Speaking of beavers, some of my favourite animals are beavers.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Can anybody explain the Nobby visit? Is Nobby interested in joining wor coaching staff? Does he have his coaching badges etc etc.?

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Of course they’re not honey badgers but who is?

• Ron Knee

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM

G2

“My friend, my heart is always in Newcastle!” laughs Solano, who is now preparing for this summer’s World Cup as assistant coach of his country. “I’m just visiting, because I’ve been with the national team so I’ve been working. But I have a few days off, so I came over to say hello to everyone. I’ve always been missing Newcastle – I have a lot of good friends and good relationships here.”

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:28 PM

I believe Nobby’s sister went to Uni
    in the toon

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:28 PM

What formation against Bournemouth? I would like to see something 4-3-3ish but I suspect 4-2-3-1. I’m just throwing that in the pot to simmer…..

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM

Ahhhh, too bad Ron. Get your priorities sorted Nobby!!!

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Has Haidara got a future with us? His contract runs out in June. I suspect not. Another failed project. Surely a new LB will arrive in the summer?

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM

This is where ketsy recommends we bring Santon back….

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:36 PM

Will Jesus Gameylegs stay on with us as a coach once his contract expires this June?

• Saul

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Ancient
    In view of growing reports in the media – know smoke without fire -Latest reports suggest Corbyn shortly is to be asked to account for his actions before a Commons Committee. More moderate Labour mps are talking openly about him being required to make a statement to the house.
    I think you should withdraw from the blog and take your inappropriate billboard with you.

Geordies are patriotic people and this fills them with revulsion that Jeremy Corbyn gave information to a communist spy during the cold war. The Labour leader has faced several days of headlines in some newspapers and now on the BBC about meetings during the 1980s with Ján Sarkocy, a Czechoslovakian diplomat in London who was later expelled as a spy.

Sarkocy has claimed he recruited Corbyn as an intelligence asset, and that Corbyn and other Labour MPs were paid £10,000 by the Czechoslovak secret service (StB ).

• Spoof

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:20 PM

Saul

This is a football blog, please take your politics elsewhere and have a bit of respect for those of us who use it as a football blog, thank you.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:32 PM

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us at tenth or even higher, a win against Bournemouth virtually takes us there with very winnable games coming up.

EUFA cup anyone?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:34 PM

G2

Aaah but Ketsy knows his football, so take heed of him!!

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Spoof
    Until Ancient removes his avatar this
    will persist I’m afraid
    No-one else feels the need to have
    a non NUFC avatar

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:39 PM

I happen to know that Hibbit’s two dogs
    are avid Toon fans

• Jib

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:40 PM

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM

Saul please don’t think you speak for all Geordies. You certainly don’t speak for me.

Top 10 would be amazing. We’d have to go some to get there but it’s a goal for the lads to aim for.

• firebug666

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Saul

Also beside this being a football blog, you only ever give one side of the story and failed to mention that the head Czechoslovakian intelligence service has already said that Corbyn was not recruited by Sarkocy.

Sorry to everyone else, but sometimes the truth needs to be mentioned.

On the football, I said at the start of the season we would be about 15th at the end and I still think that will be about right. We should start performing now the squad knows they can actually compete. Let’s hope Slimani slams a few home for us that should give the squad a massive lift.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Rob

Too right mate, I’ll chose who I want to feel revulsion over and Corbyn is way down the list although he’s also not on my like list either.

I do like Frank Field though.

• Saul

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:57 PM

Spoof
    It was not my intention to offend. It just makes my blood boil that someone can flaunt Corbyn. A man who helped a brutal dictatorship in the 1980’s that was hell bent on subverting Britain’s security.
    Sorry if I was out of order but wanted to clear my head and not think of the loss of lives caused by Corbyn’s misguided activity. I will just avoid reading the blog for a while.

• firebug666

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM

hehehehe

Sunderland drop prices as low as £1 to try and attract fans in relegation battle

• Chancel be a fine thing

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM

WTF, loss of lives. Give it a rest Saul. You’ve earned your cheque from tory HQ already today.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:08 PM

Sunderland aren’t on my revulsion list either, I do feel genuinely sorry to see a fellow NE club in such dire straits.

• Ron Knee

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:09 PM

From the BBC website:

“The director of the Czech Security Service Archive told the BBC that their files suggest Mr Corbyn was seen as a possible “contact” but no more than that.

“Mr Corbyn was not a secret collaborator working for the Czechoslovak intelligence service,” Svetlana Ptacnikova said. “The files we have on him are kept in a folder that starts with the identification number one.

“Secret collaborators were allocated folders that start with the number four. If he had been successfully recruited as an informer, then his person of interest file would have been closed, and a new one would have been opened, and that would have started with the number four.”

She added: “He stayed in that basic category – and in fact he’s still described as that, as a person of interest, in the final report issued by the StB agent shortly before he [the agent] was expelled from the UK.”

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:10 PM

I aint ducking for cover now, I have to go out, later.

• Offkey

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Saul is just another Ian toon creation to stir up trouble as he is well aware their are a number of those with left leanings on here who will bite, nowt to do with avatars

• Ron Knee

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:14 PM

EGB

I agree. It would be good to have all three North East clubs in the PL, with Newcastle on top, of course!

• Saul

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:22 PM

firebug
    Czechoslovakia was a brutal dictatorship and maintained order by fear. Have you been to Prague? Dissidents are commemorated with a line of bronze statues. The memorial tallies the victims.
    I see given the indisputable facts of Corbyn’s association with the regime of know reason to apply a ridiculous veneer of objectivity when discussing its history.

You can believe his cup of tea in the commons line if you want! This is not political but a recognition of the Labour Party being led by a communist. It’s deadly serious.
    I love my country and hate communism. I certainly don’t want someone flaunting the evil that is communism.

• RobLeenio

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:23 PM

I know too many Sunderland fans to wish them any long term harm. I chuckled when they went down and have been chuckling since but there’ll be no banter if they’re in league 1.

• Bigjim67

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM

EGB and Ron. My uncle used to talk about back in the day when you would watch the toon at SJP and the next week you would go to Roker Park, apparently it was the norm years ago. Not for me though, i will be over the moon if NUFC can stay in the prem and start challenging for titles and cups in the not too distant future, i will be really happy if the unwashed are nowhere near the top-flight whilst we’re winning stuff! Sorry but thats my take on North East football relations.

• firebug666

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:27 PM

Saul

I find it strange that when your Tory party is on the ropes, or about to drive another bunch of poor disabled folks further into poverty you come out with a load of bile to smear the opposition and deflect attention from yourselves. Never let the TRUTH get in the way of a good smear campaign.

Now for the sake of the blog, don’t reply unless you want to talk footy, this is not for the politics, no matter what era.

• Bigjim67

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM

Sorry Rob but i won’t stifle my giggles if they go down again.